(Topic ID: 253338)

Stitching Headers

By oldschoolbob

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

02 (resized).jpg
    08 (resized).jpg
    07 (resized).jpg
    06 (resized).JPG
    05 (resized).JPG
    04 (resized).jpg
    03 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3848 (resized).JPG
    01 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldschoolbob.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone show how to stitch a header after losing a solder pad. I lost several pads on the last board I was fixing. I thought I’d document how I do it. I’m not saying my method is the best. I’m sure others have their own way of doing this and I’d like to see your method.

I start by feeding a single strand of wire through the header pin hole.

01 (resized).JPG01 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3848 (resized).JPGIMG_3848 (resized).JPG

Then I insert the header. And wrap the strand around the pin on the solder side.

03 (resized).JPG03 (resized).JPG
    04 (resized).jpg04 (resized).jpg

Then solder the header in place. And trim off the wire.

05 (resized).JPG05 (resized).JPG

Then the tricky part is soldering the other end of the wire to the trace. Be very careful here not to short to any adjacent trace.

06 (resized).JPG06 (resized).JPG
    07 (resized).jpg07 (resized).jpg
    08 (resized).jpg08 (resized).jpg

After completing my work I always buzz test all connections with a DMM. Also check pin to neighboring pin for any shorts.

I’m sure there are better ways of doing this. I look forward to your comments and suggestions.

Thanks

Bob

#3 4 years ago

Thanks slochar, I didn't know you could get replacement pads. I kept the old pads and thought about gluing them back on but if you don't get them on straight it could cause a short. It seems with the wire wrapped around the post and soldered it should be stronger than before.

Thanks

Bob

02 (resized).jpg02 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldschoolbob.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stitching-headers?tu=oldschoolbob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.