20231201_201757 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2023-12-01 at 9.03.34 AM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
SRayModifiedChart.pdf (PDF preview)
E08A1634-607D-4D85-AB7B-9DF2771F1D3A_1_105_c.jpeg
B11BBE68-24B6-4868-86FD-21CB96A2610C_1_105_c.jpeg
F7D8A869-0497-4897-9C5F-0F75B8ADCE5A_1_105_c.jpeg
BCFE8820-5EE1-42AA-BCD8-CE935C63051E_1_105_c.jpeg
There are 102 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 2 years ago

Key features of this software update to Sterns 1977 Stingray are:

01. Freeplay support (optional).
02. Ability to disable Extra Balls or set Extra Ball to score Novelty points.
03. Option to advance Saucer potential on entry rather than from 10 point scores.
04. Reset Saucer potential value to 5,000 points at the start of a ball.
05. Option for Drop Target Special to score Novelty points.
06. Option for Outlane/Standup Target Special to award once per Drop Target bank reset.
07. Show *every* closed switch in switch test mode.
08. Include basic playfield attract mode lamp animation.

See the text file in the download for full listing of all the updates including DIP switch setting changes.

Interested parties will need to program replacement U2/U6 (E)EPROMs and jumper/modify their MPU board to support them.

[NEW enhanced version - work in progress. See post #46]
Update version: 31
Date:14-Apr-2022
Download from:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/em0es6fe4a0qpzp/Stingray_Update3_2022-04-14.zip/file

Update version: 14
Date: 24-Apr-2022
Download from:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/wp174k1zauwu9yr/Stingray_Update_2022-04-24.zip/file

Previous releases:

Update version: 13
Date: 17-Mar-2022
Download from:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ve6j5w2cmcvm4yb/Stingray_Update_2022-03-17.zip/file

Update version: 12
Date: 25-Feb-2022
Download from:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/10nifx2qtglmfgd/Stingray_Update_2022-02-25.zip/file

#2 2 years ago

[Reserved]

Details to come.

#3 2 years ago

Nice work, and keeping it within the original rom footprint.
Although looks like there was about $170 bytes free at the end for mods, PLENTY of space, amiright??

#4 2 years ago

Actually there was a lot of "left over" code that I stripped out. I didn't look too deeply at it but seems like Stern might have rushed the release and removed features. More space could be freed up by optimising my changes better.

But I no longer see the point of keeping the original ROM footprint since modifying the MPU board to support two 2732 is the same work as modifying it to support two 2716. That's the reason for the reserved post above - but that's for another time

This game has too many switches and lamps connected together that really limits what can be done with a stock hardware build. If I owned a Stingray I'd rewire the replicated switches and lamps to give the rules more depth. Eg, the two standup targets, five right lane rollovers are all factory wired to the same switch as the spinner :-/

#5 2 years ago

Wasn't stingray the same roms as pinball? IIRC that's the one that's pretty much bally code swapped into their game and really not modified too much.... that's what I remember from Alan McNeil talking about it somewhere either in an interview or maybe a really old email conversation I had with him.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Wasn't stingray the same roms as pinball?

Yes, it was the same ROM.
The routine locations were re-organised compared to Bally so it wasn't a simple mod. I should document the left over code to see what game features were left out from production.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

This game has too many switches and lamps connected together that really limits what can be done with a stock hardware build. If I owned a Stingray I'd rewire the replicated switches and lamps to give the rules more depth. Eg, the two standup targets, five right lane rollovers are all factory wired to the same switch as the spinner :-/

I like where this could go...

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

I like where this could go...

Presuming you have a Stingray, is rewiring switches and lamps something you could be tempted to do?

#9 2 years ago

Not an owner currently but Stingray is high on my wishlist. I would rewire the switches and lamps, absolutely.

#10 2 years ago

Well I'm a Stingray owner with the playfield currently flipped upside down and a soldering iron sitting on it. What are we thinking, boss?

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

What are we thinking, boss?

The first question is what rule changes to make if all five of the stingray lane rollover buttons, two standup targets near the pop bumpers and the special standup target were all wired as unique switches with their own feature lamps? Wires would have to be run from the lamp driver board to the playfield for controlling new feature lamps.

An idea I came up with was to make it so hitting both standups targets near the pop bumpers lights one of the stingray rollovers. Once you've done it five times to light all the stingray rollovers, it lights special at the standup target.

I'm not a fan of the advance bonus at the lower centre rollover button so I'd probably (option) disable it and make it so shooting all the way through the stingray lane over the five rollover buttons advances the bonus.

Maybe someone has some other ideas?

However my gut feeling is that uptake on these types of wiring mods might be done by one or two people and that's about it.

#12 2 years ago

I understand your point on the limited appeal of the modifications. I already repinned every single .100 and .156 connector in this game and I’ve got ample wire laying around, so I’m game if you want to give it a go anyway.

I picked this game up as a cheap project a couple months ago. Since I don’t have any real experience playing one and this one isn’t flipping quite yet, I don’t have a lot to offer in terms of rule suggestions. I just need to replace a broken flipper mech mount, tidy up the coin door wiring, and I’m “done”.

#13 2 years ago

Since I don’t have any real experience playing one and this one isn’t flipping quite yet, I don’t have a lot to offer in terms of rule suggestions.

How about once you get it flipping, see what you think about the current ruleset and decide if you want it enhanced. You might even like the simplicity as is.

The short version of the rewiring mods is:
You run separate wires for each of the two standup target lamps, the five right stingray lane rollover button lamps, the 10X stingray lane lamp, the standup target special lamp and the drop target 10,000 lamp. That's ten wires from playfield lamps back to empty pins of J1 and J3 at the lamp driver board.
Rewiring these switches requires running new wires from existing playfield switches (mostly from the drop targets) to fill unused "intersections" in the switch matrix. Then once these items are unique there's scope to do things.

If/when I do any further work on this code, I'll likely be porting it over to my 7 digit scoring operating system.

#14 2 years ago

Awesome, thanx for this update. Working on a Stingray right now and was thinking how it needed updated code to fix the random eject hole scoring.

#15 2 years ago

Honestly I know from watching some PAPA vids that as-is the game won’t be a keeper for me. It was a great deal ($250) and I was going to loan it to a friend that wants a pin but is scared to buy one, then I was going to sacrifice it to the conversion fate eventually. It’s solidly players condition shape, but I’ve had (and have) worse. So updating and upgrading, I’d probably do more to spruce it up than I had planned. I’ve got tons of LISY 7 digit displays so I can do that mod too, no problem. Already did it to my Galaxy.

I don’t know how long the code modifications would take on your side but it would be cool to take to TPF. Still trying to figure out what game I should bring.

#16 2 years ago

I don’t know how long the code modifications would take on your side but it would be cool to take to TPF.

I doubt I'd have it finished by TPF because of time constraints on my end but who knows.
What MPU board have you got and if it's stock can you modify it for EPROMs? BTW, I presume you have access to an EPROM programmer?

#17 2 years ago

Sounds good, I really should take something to sell rather than just show off.

Cleaned up the leaky battery, replaced it with a super cap and have it booting from the original MPU. I do have access to a ROM burner, but are there modifications I’d need to do for new roms on a -100 board? Not afraid to tackle those if I do.

I also have a couple spare Weebly MPUs on hand but they’re intended for other projects. I can use one in a pinch though.

#18 2 years ago

are there modifications I’d need to do for new roms on a -100 board?

Yes, the factory MPU100 board had 9316 PROMs which are not fully pin compatible with EPROMs so the board will need to be modified. This future code update we're talking about here will require 2732 EPROM support. Three trace cuts and add three wires, see here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/converting-a-bally-17-to-35-mpu-with-fo597-service-bulletin#post-5270218

#19 2 years ago

Never done it before but looks pretty straightforward, especially with the image instructions. Thanks!

My brother has a nice Hakko desoldering station if I need to add chip sockets. Not near the game right now to inspect the board. It’s actually hidden in a closet at work that I duck into and work on when I need a break from people

#20 2 years ago

Is the Target light modification in Version 12 as easy as just disconnecting the current wires on the target light sockets, running a new wire from J1 pin 11 and wiring the 2 target sockets in parallel. I dont need to do anything to the spinner and 10x wiring right?

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from fierodoug:

Is the Target light modification in Version 12 as easy as just disconnecting the current wires on the target light sockets, running a new wire from J1 pin 11 and wiring the 2 target sockets in parallel. I dont need to do anything to the spinner and 10x wiring right?

Correct, you can do it that way.

#22 2 years ago

This is a preliminary playfield wiring change.

Green text indicates wires that need to be run back to the lamp driver board in the head with the connector location. Suggest you leave enough wire to be able to move the wires between J1 and J3 in case I need to move them around.
Note some of the lamps (five stingray lane rollover buttons and drop target 10,000 insert are factory wired as G.I). You'll need to disconnect the G.I from these and run the feature lamp 5.4V bus to them.

Yellow text is the playfield switch strobe wires that need to be run to the switches. Strobe #0 is at the outhole switch, Strobe #2 is at the 10 point and 50 point rebound switches. Strobe wires connect to the non-banded side of the diodes at the switches.

Pink text is the playfield switch return wires. These will all come from the drop target switches.

I hope it makes sense.

Stingray Playfield (Greyscale-Mods3b).jpgStingray Playfield (Greyscale-Mods3b).jpg

#23 2 years ago

Make that 3 people as I plan on doing a playfield swap in the future and don't mind a bit of switch re-wiring for an upgrade to the rules.

Quoted from Quench:

The first question is what rule changes to make if all five of the stingray lane rollover buttons, two standup targets near the pop bumpers and the special standup target were all wired as unique switches with their own feature lamps? Wires would have to be run from the lamp driver board to the playfield for controlling new feature lamps.
An idea I came up with was to make it so hitting both standups targets near the pop bumpers lights one of the stingray rollovers. Once you've done it five times to light all the stingray rollovers, it lights special at the standup target.
I'm not a fan of the advance bonus at the lower centre rollover button so I'd probably (option) disable it and make it so shooting all the way through the stingray lane over the five rollover buttons advances the bonus.
Maybe someone has some other ideas?
However my gut feeling is that uptake on these types of wiring mods might be done by one or two people and that's about it.

#24 2 years ago

Wow! Very cool and easy to read, thanks @quench. I'm really looking forward to getting this done.

#25 2 years ago

Got my game booting and flipping! I'm asking this earnestly not knowing the amount of work behind such a request, but any chance part of these updates could include an attract lighting sequence? I forgot this game predates that feature and thought something was wrong with my LDB. Took me a bit to realize that.

#26 2 years ago

but any chance part of these updates could include an attract lighting sequence?

Yes, I was thinking about adding some basic playfield attract mode lighting for the reason you mentioned, i.e. so the playfield doesn't look dead during game over.

Have you done any mods to your game yet regarding our discussion in this thread?

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Yes, I was thinking about adding some basic playfield attract mode lighting for the reason you mentioned, i.e. so the playfield doesn't look dead during game over.
Have you done any mods to your game yet regarding our discussion in this thread?

A couple years ago I built a virtual pinball version of Stingray. Would love to try adding the lamps and switches to that alongside an updated rom to give this a try. Would just need to figure out the new lamp and switch numbers.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

I haven't yet. Work + life just got super busy, but I'll modify an extra working MPU I have on hand sometime in the next week. I didn't want to start adding wires and such until there was code to go with it. Or would you prefer that done first? Seems a little chicken/egg to my chicken brain.

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

A couple years ago I built a virtual pinball version of Stingray. Would love to try adding the lamps and switches to that alongside an updated rom to give this a try.

Cool! So you probably recognise where I got the playfield image above

The numbers in quotes are the VP lamp numbers you need:

LDB J1-28 "08" = #5 Upper rollover (Right Stingray lane)
LDB J3-04 "55" = #4 Upper middle rollover (Right Stingray lane)
LDB J3-27 "39" = #3 Middle rollover (Right Stingray lane)
LDB J1-07 "23" = #2 Lower middle rollover (Right Stingray lane)
LDB J1-16 "07" = #1 Lower rollover (Right Stingray lane)
LDB J1-13 "40" = Left Standup target
LDB J1-06 "24" = Right Standup target
LDB J3-02 "56" = Special Standup target
LDB J3-18 "58" = 10X Stingray lane
LDB J1-10 "22" = Drop Target 10,000

These quoted numbers are the new switch numbers:

"5" = #5 Upper rollover (Right Stingray lane)
"4" = #4 Upper middle rollover (Right Stingray lane)
"3" = #3 Middle rollover (Right Stingray lane)
"2" = #2 Lower middle rollover (Right Stingray lane)
"1" = #1 Lower rollover (Right Stingray lane)
"17" = Left Standup target
"18" = Right Standup target
"19" = Special Standup target

Note the new code is being built for two 2732 size EPROMs (Stringray is originally two 2716 size). It means you'll need to recompile PinMAME so it supports a new ROMset with Bally-35 addressing. I presume you know how to do this?? Anyway I'll need to talk to the PinMAME guys about it.

#30 2 years ago

I haven't yet. Work + life just got super busy... I didn't want to start adding wires and such until there was code to go with it.

No problem, probably best that you wait for some code before doing the wire mods.
I've nearly finished porting the game code to my 7 digit operating system. My initial intention is to release something for "test" but with the newly wired lamps/switches configured to operate like they do now. Then work out how we make use of them.

1 week later
#31 2 years ago

Quench I concatenated the U2 and U6 files together to work on a single 2732 EPROM MPU board (where I put the EPROM in socked U2), but the game does not boot.

The EPROMS content has been verified against the concatenated file and I've redone the concatination of U2 and U6.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from frsj8112:

The EPROMS content has been verified against the concatenated file and I've redone the concatination of U2 and U6.

Can you post your binary somewhere? (sendspace.com is anonymous and the link gets deleted after 30 days of no use).
I can check what's wrong with it.
If you concatenate the original factory Stingray code and program the exact same EPROM chip, does it work?

I know of a pinsider who has installed the update code and it is working.

I've included a basic playfield lamp attract mode in the enhanced code I'm working on. There is enough space to add it to the current release if you're ok to wait a a day or two for me to add it.

#33 2 years ago

Here's the concatenated binary: https://www.sendspace.com/file/r32nen

I've done the same thing with your previous patch (Free Play + Extra ball disable) and that worked fine!

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from frsj8112:

Here's the concatenated binary:

The file checksum looks good so it should work.
Which EPROM programmer are you using?
When you say the game doesn't boot, how many MPU board LED flicker/flashes are you getting?

#35 2 years ago

VP-390, and like i said, the other ROM-set works fine
Just the first flicker (reset).

#36 2 years ago

A basic attract mode in the current 2716 code would be awesome!

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from fierodoug:

A basic attract mode in the current 2716 code would be awesome!

Ok, it's coming

Ah I don't have experience with the Wellon programmers but I have the software loaded for demo.
Can you try this: in the Wellon software under "Setting" -> "Device Operation Options", set the "Verify Option" to "Twice VCC +/-10%" and then perform a verify operation on the EPROM you programmed against your concatenated file. Does it pass verification? If not, program (overwrite) the EPROM again (without erasing) so you basically double program it.

Wellon_Verify.pngWellon_Verify.png

#38 2 years ago

Yes I have verified against the EPROM and the checksums are the same in both EPROM and the rom-file on the PC.

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from frsj8112:

Yes I have verified against the EPROM and the checksums are the same in both EPROM and the rom-file on the PC.

Did you perform the verification at +/- 10% of VCC? This performs the verification at both 4.5V VCC and then 5.5V VCC.
I have seen a number of times personally and on Pinside where programmers successfully verify at 5.0 volts, but fail in the game because our games run the 5 volt supply rail around 5.3 volts which causes marginal programmed EPROM bits to error at higher supply voltage.

#40 2 years ago

Added new update version 13 to the first thread post that includes a simple playfield lamp attract mode so the playfield now does something during game over.
Fixed a silly bug of mine from version 12 that activated the left slingshot instead of the saucers at power-up welcome.

#41 2 years ago

Quench So i reburned it again but with another 2732 device and now it works fine
I will reburn the new version 13 and try that later. Maybe I'll see if i can get the light wiring sorted later as well. great job buddy!

2 weeks later
#42 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Yes, the factory MPU100 board had 9316 PROMs which are not fully pin compatible with EPROMs so the board will need to be modified. This future code update we're talking about here will require 2732 EPROM support. Three trace cuts and add three wires, see here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/converting-a-bally-17-to-35-mpu-with-fo597-service-bulletin#post-5270218

Quench I finally got around to modding my board -- I checked all my connections and trace cuts prior to installing, to ensure continuity (or lack thereof). D'oh! The game no longer boots. Do I have to replace the ROM for it work? I still have the originals roms in place. Now that I'm typing this, and being a total dilettante making a guess, do these mods change the routing of the signals so that only one rom socket is read? So I would need to update to a 2732 for it to work again?

#43 2 years ago

Do I have to replace the ROM for it work? I still have the originals roms in place.

Depending on your original ROM type they most likely won't boot. Right now if you double both the U2 and U6 2716 code and burn them to two 2732, it should work.

I've just about finished the code update, I should have something ready this weekend.

BTW I slightly changed the wiring for some lamps which programmatically made more sense. Will update the wire mod details above when I post the code.

#44 2 years ago

I am looking for a NOS Stingray playfield. Mine is planking and a lot of the details are coming off.
Or a full plastic protector for it for now to prevent further damage.
Previous owner must have had it in a wet environment for 20+ years.

#45 2 years ago

Finally finished restoring my Stingray and running V13 code
Love the non-random saucers and full brightness Target insert lights!
The attract mode is awesome!
Thanx for your work on the code for this game Quench!

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from fierodoug:

Finally finished restoring my Stingray and running V13 code

Nice! thanks for the video.

Ok, I've uploaded the enhanced WIP code (based on the wiring changes to the lamps and switches mentioned) as it currently stands - I didn't get the time this week to finish it as I wanted, however it's pretty much all there and I wanted to get something out. See post #1 [version 31]

This enhanced code requires playfield lamps and switches to be rewired per post #22. The MPU board needs to be modified/already support two 2732 EPROMs in Ballys -35 MPU board fashion. ROM file for the Weebly MPU board also added.

The new rules revolve around the rewired two standup targets near the pop bumpers and the right side stingray lane rollover buttons:
- The two standup targets near the pop bumpers now individually light their corresponding lamp. Each time both lamps are lit/made, a stingray lane rollover button lamp is illuminated (in sequence).
- Making all five stingray lane rollover button lamps, lights the standup target lane for special.
- Lit stingray lane rollover buttons score 200 points each. 10X is still enabled via saucer entry when lit.
- Advance bonus can be enabled/disabled in new ways via software settings.

Other key features in the code are:
Millions scoring support
Enhanced navigation in diagnostic/audit mode plus new software settings mode.
Record highest credits to date when in freeplay reset mode.
Show highest scores/credits at start of the last ball.
Show previous scores before game was shut down.
Enable player scores only on players in game - flash their score at the start of a ball.
See full list of changes in the text file within the download.
The game updates in version 14 are all ported here.

@a_bord, I changed three VP lamp numbers regarding the two standup target lamps near the pop bumpers and the drop target 10,000 lamp. Post #29 has been updated accordingly.

The playfield wiring diagram in post #22 has also been updated for the adjusted connections of these lamps.

#47 2 years ago

Thanks for the code update on this fantastic title Quench!
May be easier for people with a Weebly board to burn these files on a 256K (Or is is 512K?) as Weebly supports bigger rom files so no need
to modify an original Stern MPU for two 2732 roms.
Can you provide an image for the Weebly MPU?

Thanks,
David

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

May be easier for peoplem with a Weebly board to burn these files on a 256K (Or is is 512K?) as Weebly supports bigger rom files so no need to modify an original Stern MPU for two 2732 roms.
Can you provide an image for the Weebly MPU?

Yes!
Actually it came to mind to add it right before I posted the update but I was running late for something.
Post #1 download updated to include the Weebly ROM file.
Some 27256 might work as an alternative to a 27512. Just chop off the second half of the 27512 file and burn to a 27256 if that's what spare you've got handy

1 week later
#49 2 years ago

Updated the 2716 code to version 14. Fixed an error reported by ekthoren that the flippers were being enabled at the start of attract mode on power up.
Download link added to the first post.

1 week later
#50 1 year ago

Ah, I meant to report the flippers enabled at Game Over and totally forgot.
Thanx for the update, just installed it in my machine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

2,182 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

There are 102 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stingray-stern-1977-software-update and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.