Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CUJO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I have a Stingray that works like it should except I noticed every game starts with the 3 pop bumpers already lit so they score 1000 when lit.

I don't see a setting to change this and not sure if they are always supposed to be lit when starting a new game.

Anyone have any info on this?

Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

Maybe that is a setting when on 3 ball? Try switching to 5 and they may need to be lit then.
If already on 5 ball, I'm not sure.

#3 6 years ago

There is a DIP switch that controls this (called a Pro / Novice feature). Try Dip switch # 16 on the MPU board. When ON, the pop bumpers should alternate. When OFF, they will be lit all the time. If this doesn't work you might have a bad DIP switch.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

There is a DIP switch that controls this (called a Pro / Novice feature). Try Dip switch # 16 on the MPU board. When ON, the pop bumpers should alternate. When OFF, they will be lit all the time. If this doesn't work you might have a bad DIP switch.

Thanks for the info klr650.
The game is set to 5 ball already DNO.

I'll look for the DIP switch 16 tomorrow and try setting it to the other position and report.

#5 6 years ago

Did it work?

#6 6 years ago

FYI, I am posting some additional info here for any folks with bad DIP switches on these old Stern MPU boards:

If only one DIP switch isn't working, you could always solder in a jumper wire on the back of the board. Especially if it's a switch that you would never consider turning off. If you find there are several switches not working, you can order replacement 8 position DIP switches for about $1 or less. I had to replace all four of mine on an original Stern board (circa 1977).

8 position DIP Switch Part Numbers:

** CTS 206-8 (slider style switches)
** Tyco (AMP) 435640-5 (rocker style)

These are available from Great Plains Electronics, Big Daddy Enterprises, Digi-key etc...

Warning: It's a real pain in the ass to de-solder the old Stern 8 position DIP switches. They have really flimsy legs that are crescent-shaped so they really want to stay in contact with those thru holes! I couldn't get all the legs completely free (using a solder sucker and solder wick) so I ended up cutting off the switches with a dremel, then I de-soldered each leg individually. This was acceptable (to me) as I had no intention of re-using faulty switches

#7 6 years ago

Yes it did. Thank you.
Now one or two of the Pop Bumpers are lit when game starts. When certain point switches are hit, the 1000 when lit pop bumpers will alternate off/on.
No way I can see to have them all off at startup though. It's just the way the game is I suppose.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

2,182 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stingray-pop-bumpers-start-at-1000-points and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.