IMG_3412 (resized).jpg
IMG_3413 (resized).jpg
IMG_3383 (resized).jpg
IMG_3381 (resized).jpg
IMG_3380 (resized).jpg
F3090BA1-24CE-4BF0-951E-5AC13D1F0527 (resized).JPG
IMG_3378 (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

I was hesitant to start documenting my Quicksilver build as several others have already done this with great results! Alas, after working through my own issues with the donor game, I realized this is worthy of its own thread. So, without further a due, I give you Quicksilver #1,205...

It all starts with me picking up an inexpensive Stingray. The seller was great and shared everything he knew about the game, but after bringing it home, I quickly realized it had...some issues.
IMG_3413 (resized).jpgIMG_3413 (resized).jpg
What you see above is the result of wood-boring beetles. These little pinprick holes were all over the cabinet. But, I'm getting ahead of myself. Here's a few pics of the donor game as I unloaded it from the car...IMG_3380 (resized).jpgIMG_3380 (resized).jpg
IMG_3378 (resized).jpgIMG_3378 (resized).jpgF3090BA1-24CE-4BF0-951E-5AC13D1F0527 (resized).JPGF3090BA1-24CE-4BF0-951E-5AC13D1F0527 (resized).JPGIMG_3381 (resized).jpgIMG_3381 (resized).jpgIMG_3383 (resized).jpgIMG_3383 (resized).jpgIMG_3414 (resized).jpgIMG_3414 (resized).jpgIMG_3405 (resized).jpgIMG_3405 (resized).jpg

At first, I thought I had really grabbed a pretty sweet deal! While old and crusty, I have dealt with MUCH worse. My original intention was to clean up the electronics and playfield, and have a great beater Stingray. That all changed when I saw all the little holes and thought, "what in the world are these?"

After researching a TON about what they were, I quickly realized I had a problem. I called the seller, who told me that he had it in his garage for over a year with zero issues. He had several other games in there, with none of them showing similar signs. Furthermore, he told me that he had termite protection all over around the house. Then he told me where he grabbed it from (an old garage repair shop that was very damp, where it had been sitting for some 20 years). Regardless, of WHERE they came from, my next question was "are they still alive?"

Long story short, it's really hard to answer this question. While I did a number of tests to see if any frass resulted (frass is what the beetles push out of the holes when they're eating away at it), I just was not comfortable having a game around that had even the remotest possibility of infestation. Nobody I could find made a "flat pack Stern cab" and I'm just not that handy to fully build a new cabinet quite yet, so I bit the bullet, called an exterminator company, and took it to them to be professionally "gassed" in a chamber. Every bit of research I did confirmed that this was really the only way to make absolutely sure that I wouldn't have future issues. That said, even though after it was gassed and the exterminator said, "you're good to go," I let it sit in there for awhile at my place to carefully watch for any signs of life.

...but by this point, my "inexpensive beater Stingray" was really starting to increase in cost.

Now I looked at the artwork and thought, for how much money I've got in this thing now, it looks pretty bad. I wanted to fill in any holes, and that was going to force me to repaint the entire cab. Honestly, when I bought the game, I was REALLY wanting a Quicksilver, but found this instead. You can see where this line of thinking took me.

The next thing I knew, Stingray was totally naked. IMG_3412 (resized).jpgIMG_3412 (resized).jpg

I had made up my mind, "I guess I'm building a Quicksilver..."

#2 3 years ago

(saved for post #2)

#3 3 years ago

(saved for post #3)

#4 3 years ago

The only real problem with Stingray is that is sucks.
Good luck.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Good luck.

The good news is that it won’t be a Stingray for long.

#6 3 years ago

You guys are full of crap about Stingray. It is a fantastic pin especially the shape this one is in. I can't stop anyone from destroying a game, but I have a Stingray I restored along with my other Classic Stern's and it gets a ton of play; especially at the shows. Now I do love a Quicksilver (top3) but personally I would of started with a Meteor since it truly is a better "fit" . MPU200, exact same cabinet, boardset, wiring harness, etc. The entire cabinet is not even close being an MPU100 game. The MPU100 cabs or this era are really "junk". Balsa wood like. At least sell the playfield for restoration for someone and along with the parts. Can't wait to see the transformation. I have to admit, I got 2 roached Meteor's in storage to transform into a Star Gazer and Quicksilver.

100_2745 (resized).JPG100_2745 (resized).JPGDSCF8982 (resized).JPGDSCF8982 (resized).JPGDSCF8984 (resized).JPGDSCF8984 (resized).JPGDSCF8994 (resized).JPGDSCF8994 (resized).JPG
#7 3 years ago

I also would have picked an mpu200 pin to convert; correct coin door, lockdown bar and transformer. Unfortunately mpu200 project pins are hard to find. I’d pick a Lightning, Galaxy or Meteor to convert in that order. Lightning is a pos in my opinion, Galaxy has the four drop bank and Meteor is a great pin.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Lightning is a pos in my opinion...

#9 3 years ago

Agree, Lightning is a pos. The only thing is the lower cabinet is a few inches taller in the back since Lighting has a two level playfield and unlike Bally where the playfield is set lower in the cabinet, Stern made the cabinet taller like a modern game. I happen to like Stingray though.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

While I disagree with your assessment of Stingray, please take my upvote for making me laugh out loud at your post on a Monday morning .

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

I can't stop anyone from destroying a game

Frankly, another reason why I hesitated to do a thread about this build is the constant opinion-giving of "MPU-200 games are a better fit" or "why are you converting a good game to make something else?" If you don't want to follow along, truly, no worries. I had a Stingray, and am building a Quicksilver from it; plain and simple.

#12 3 years ago

Looking forward to watching this progress. Thanks for sharing the process.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Frankly, another reason why I hesitated to do a thread about this build is the constant opinion-giving of "MPU-200 games are a better fit" or "why are you converting a good game to make something else?" If you don't want to follow along, truly, no worries. I had a Stingray, and am building a Quicksilver from it; plain and simple.

Oh man. Sorry you feel that way and you took my comments as negative and others. I guess looking back I could see how you looked at my comments that way. In no way did I mean it and really for these games it's impossible to not destroy another classic. Just the way it is and thank god we have parts like this available. I am glad you started the thread and are sharing the situation.

#14 3 years ago

I am glad you started the thread and are sharing the situation.

Thanks man. You know the types who get all bent out of shape if you don't fully restore the original game to its former glory. Honestly, the cab on this one was just too gone to invest that kind of dough into. But, I am happy to report that all the pieces that were in great shape (PF, plastics, backglass, etc...) have gone on to live new lives with new owners.

I have always appreciated your insight into Classic Stern games (I've restored a Nine Ball and Seawitch with help from you previously), so I'm glad you're in the thread. More to come soon.

2 weeks later
#15 3 years ago

You guys are full of crap about Stingray. It is a fantastic pin especially the shape this one is in. I can't stop anyone from destroying a game, but I have a Stingray I restored along with my other Classic Stern's and it gets a ton of play; especially at the shows. Now I do love a Quicksilver (top3) but personally I would of started with a Meteor since it truly is a better "fit" . MPU200, exact same cabinet, boardset, wiring harness, etc. The entire cabinet is not even close being an MPU100 game. The MPU100 cabs or this era are really "junk". Balsa wood like. At least sell the playfield for restoration for someone and along with the parts. Can't wait to see the transformation. I have to admit, I got 2 roached Meteor's in storage to transform into a Star Gazer and Quicksilver.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice resto. I have a one myself that is in decent shape that I would like to put some work in. Did you make your own stencils for the cab yourself?

#16 3 years ago

Pouring one out for the Stingray.

86AB78CC-3173-4E06-ADD3-9A082E35E873 (resized).jpeg86AB78CC-3173-4E06-ADD3-9A082E35E873 (resized).jpeg
#17 3 years ago
Quoted from yatch11:

Very nice resto. I have a one myself that is in decent shape that I would like to put some work in. Did you make your own stencils for the cab yourself?

On this title you have to make them yourself. PITA but well worth it because all of the cabinets look like butt but when you finish because of the White and Red and Blue it ends up looking the most beautiful in a line up. Really great colors and art. People are drawn to the beauty of a restored one. It has a really clean color look. Worth time and effort.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stingray-gt-quicksilver-build?hl=newforestpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.