(Topic ID: 77947)

STI/NAVL Shipping - what to do when game is delivered?

By fosaisu

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I'm expecting to receive my first pinball by STI delivery (booked through Michelle, legs-on) within the next few days. I assume I should unwrap it before I sign for it to confirm no cosmetic damage to the cabinet in shipment. But what other steps (if any) should I take before I sign and let the drivers leave? Just not sure what the etiquet is and if STI/Michelle will honor a claim if the damage is discovered after the drivers leave, or if I really need to put up the backbox, fire it up, load balls, run through the test menu, etc. before I sign for it.

Probably doesn't seem like a big deal but this will be my first pin so I want to do things the right way (and am also looking to avoid making the drivers sit around unnecessarially, since it will probably take me a little while to figure out how to get the machine back together, balls loaded, run the test menu, or whatever else I should be doing).

Thanks!

#4 10 years ago

Haha that was damn funny. But I'm in the same boat as fosaisu. My first pin may be via freight since the local options aren't so great for the pins I really want. So it'd be good to know some do's and don'ts.

Personally, if they deliver the machine to the inside of my house without breaking anything, they can drop a deuce in my toilet. It's just poo.

#5 10 years ago

Read this thread. You will hear some good and bad stories.
    My story is there too.
    Machine sent to me with legs on and damaged.
    STL gave me (and others) the run around.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maybe-navl-used-to-be-good-be-warned

#6 10 years ago

Geez after reading that, shipping a pin sounds terrifying!

#7 10 years ago

My 2 Cents are, wrap it yourself and dont ship it with the legs on.

#8 10 years ago

Yeah I read the thread and it seems folks were recommend the converse, but why?! Seems way better to remove the legs I would have thought.

#9 10 years ago

NAVL told the person I bought my machine from to just leave the legs on. They will neatly wrap it in blankets and take good care of it.
    A blanket never went near my machine.
    When they opened the door to the truck, there was a washer and dryer pinned up next to it.

#10 10 years ago

Bump -- just got the call and they're coming tomorrow a.m. Anyone have any advice on what to do/check on the game once it's delivered before I sign for it? Thanks!

#11 10 years ago

I believe cosmetic damage is all they will take responsibility for. you don't know if the machine worked when they picked it up nor do they.

#12 10 years ago

Obviously if it fell off the truck and there's major damage don't sign for it and send it back, lol. I would unwrap it, and look for any obvious damage on the exterior of the cabinet, while they're still there. If things aren't to your liking, don't sign. Take pictures to document any damage. Once you get it inside, put it through its paces and see if anything is wrong. I would imagine if the DMD was broken or bad switch or something, they would send out a repairman free of charge.

#13 10 years ago

Wait, is this a new machine or used?

#14 10 years ago

Besides cosmetic damage, there isn't much you can do. There is always a chance the game won't be working due to some rough handling, but trying to decipher between rough handling and just moving a 20 year old game is impossible.

I moved my DW 20 feet a few weeks ago and it needed 2 new resistors and a new chip on the CPU board.

However, check the wrapping carefully. Any rips/tears in the wrapping you should inspect very very closely. I've never turned a machine on or anything, but the game should be in the same physical condition. Electronically, who knows.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

Besides cosmetic damage, there isn't much you can do. There is always a chance the game won't be working due to some rough handling, but trying to decipher between rough handling and just moving a 20 year old game is impossible.
    I moved my DW 20 feet a few weeks ago and it needed 2 new resistors and a new chip on the CPU board.
    However, check the wrapping carefully. Any rips/tears in the wrapping you should inspect very very closely. I've never turned a machine on or anything, but the game should be in the same physical condition. Electronically, who knows.

Thanks -- this is kind of what I was expecting as far as what they would actually cover but nice to have it confirmed!

#16 10 years ago

Congrats on your first machine! Definitely inspect it over thoroughly for any damage before signing. It would not be wise to turn it on immediately, its going to arrive cold and it would be best for the machine to warm to room temp first. Then, enjoy!!!! Your life is going to change my friend.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

Congrats on your first machine! Definitely inspect it over thoroughly for any damage before signing. It would not be wise to turn it on immediately, its going to arrive cold and it would be best for the machine to warm to room temp first. Then, enjoy!!!! Your life is going to change my friend.

65 and sunny in Denver today, but I hear you!

#18 10 years ago

Well unfortunately what I would have recommended first and foremost is that you have the buyer take good, straight on pictures from each side of the cabinet, so you will have something to compare it to directly when you receive it. It's hard enough making a damage claim as it is, as they can always say there is no way to prove it wasn't like that prior to shipping. They will definitely not cover anything electronically. The only thing they will really cover is obvious, significant physical damage. Also have your camera ready when receiving as well, just in case you need to document a picture (such as the case mentioned above when they shipped it without blankets). I've had half a dozen shipments/deliveries with them, with no issues at all. In fact, for me, the workers went above and beyond each time and I tipped well. But that also depends on your area more than anything.

#19 10 years ago

Enjoy the shadow. I miss it already.

#20 10 years ago

I check every corner for damage or separation, check all sides for scrapes and damage, check the underside of the cabinet for damage, flip back box up and make sure no damage and that backglass is ok. Know in advance the drivers won't want to stay one second longer than what they have to (unless one of them has to take a dump in that case I recommend a can of wizard or other suitable air freshener)..... so you may have to be assertive and let them know your not signing or paying until you have had a chance to inspect the machine. Last note do your inspection in a brightly lit room or unwrap it outside if the weather permits then throw a blanket over it and move it in. If the game is damaged upon inspection have Michelle's number handy and call her before you sign anything.

I have had great success with NAVL legs on shipping but I am very specific with the seller of how I want the game prepped and I specify I want edge protectors and adequate insurance when I set up with Michelle.
    Good luck!

#21 10 years ago

Thanks to all for the advice! The STI delivery team in Denver is great, lead guy seems extremely knowledgable about pinball and told me he's delivered many hundreds of machines. Machine looks to have come through unscathed and is playing great. Very excited to have my first game in the house, and thanks again to everyone for the pointers!

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Thanks to all for the advice! The STI delivery team in Denver is great, lead guy seems extremely knowledgable about pinball and told me he's delivered many hundreds of machines. Machine looks to have come through unscathed and is playing great. Very excited to have my first game in the house, and thanks again to everyone for the pointers!

I've used them once so far in Denver and had no issues. It would make sense that the wide range of good to bad experiences are due to contractors used for that final leg of the journey.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

I've used them once so far in Denver and had no issues. It would make sense that the wide range of good to bad experiences are due to contractors used for that final leg of the journey.

Of course you're also at the mercy of the team that picks the game up and wraps it for shipping, so you'd either need some foreknowledge about how they operate (or a bit of luck), or a seller willing to closely monitor the wrap job on their end, and pipe up if the game's not being adequately protected!

#24 10 years ago

NAVL has been to my house about 10 times in the last 3 months...No damage to speak of. I ALWAYS request the machines come to me with LEGS + HEAD ON...No problems to date. NAVL/STI Prefer the legs to be on anyway. They usually unwrap the machine for you..I believe that's standard protocol. Best of luck with your new toy.

#25 10 years ago

Good stuff to know. An STI truck is meandering its way here with a BSD on it.

#26 10 years ago

My T3 just got picked up today via STI. Can't wait to see it! Rex did a fantastic job - he plastic wrapped it, put it on a pallet, and than built a wooden box around it to keep it safe.

I have photos of it being picked up and placed in the truck, but my bobo phone won't let me download them. Lame.

#27 10 years ago

I too prefer to ship and have shipped with legs on. Much safer in my opinion. I always wrap the games I sell myself that way I know they are protected. I have shipped and have had shipped numerous games and have never had any problems. The same guy comes to my house every time and he is pretty cool. As for playing the game while the guy is still there is not necessary. If the game does not play right it is highly unlikely it is the fault of the shipper vs the game having issues before or something rattling apart. That and I always go through the game and make sure all the fuses are correct, everything looks good under the Playfield and CPU boards and install all new balls before even firing it up.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stinavl-shipping-what-to-do-when-game-is-delivered and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.