(Topic ID: 266424)

Stimulus gifting - do your part

By WeirPinball

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

#1 4 years ago

Never do this kind of stuff, but thought I would try and promote some good. Thanks for watching. Scott

#2 4 years ago

I am not a social media kind of guy, so any help passing this on would help as much as donating some of your $$

Scott

#3 4 years ago

Might want to do further research about these stimulus checks. It is not free money, it’s basically a loan advance from next years taxes. I imagine most people will have to pay it back.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Bud:

Might want to do further research about these stimulus checks. It is not free money, it’s basically a loan advance from next years taxes. I imagine most people will have to pay it back.

Not according to this - https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/13/will-you-have-to-pay-back-the-coronavirus-stimulus-check.html

Now that being said, I think we'll all be paying this back in taxes or fees for many years to come...

#5 4 years ago

This is most definitely NOT a loan. It is money, no strings attached.

That being said, how do you think it is going to be paid for? History says, "By the middle class." The rich have accountants to find every loophole (many made and paid for by their political donations). The lower class are, well, poor. And Lord knows we can't pass a tax on businesses in America because it will destroy the economy!

So enjoy the advance you just gave yourself.

And in the spirit of the OP, I think we've done our part. My wife is eligible for the forgiveable small business loan to cover payroll, rent, etc. We aren't taking it. It will be tight for a few months but it won't prevent us from putting food on the table and my income can cover any shortage. We figured that money should go to folks that can't say the same thing.

#6 4 years ago

Support your local strippers !

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

This is most definitely NOT a loan. It is money, no strings attached.
That being said, how do you think it is going to be paid for? History says, "By the middle class." The rich have accountants to find every loophole (many made and paid for by their political donations). The lower class are, well, poor. And Lord knows we can't pass a tax on businesses in America because it will destroy the economy!
So enjoy the advance you just gave yourself.
And in the spirit of the OP, I think we've done our part. My wife is eligible for the forgiveable small business loan to cover payroll, rent, etc. We aren't taking it. It will be tight for a few months but it won't prevent us from putting food on the table and my income can cover any shortage. We figured that money should go to folks that can't say the same thing.

The SBA loan thing is a joke. We started applying for it, but the allocation was a set amount, and once it was done, there was no more money. If you didn’t get in the first few days, you wouldn’t be able to get the amount you requested - and the banks were caught off guard with the submission process to the SBA. The application process on our side was a nightmare, so I finally just said “screw it”. We’ll ride it out.

#8 4 years ago

Surprisingly, I already got my money - a cool $3400 :O

The first thing I am going to buy to stimulate the economy is a new car battery that died from sitting idle in the garage for three weeks.

#9 4 years ago

Yep, mine came pretty early - actually gave mine to the Cincinnati food bank that went through 6 months worth of food in one month. I wish all those that lost their jobs, got laid off, or have other hardships the best. Nice to see a lot of giving lately on the news.

#10 4 years ago

This is a tough one. I get the point of donating to charity but isn't the point of these checks to help stimulate the economy by purchasing through businesses?

If you spend all your money on local businesses, that will in-turn provide them with the income they need to pay their rent and payroll which then reduces the strain on things like the food bank as less people are out of work.

It's kind of a catch 22 in my brain. Do you give it directly to those in need right now but then the situation gets worse for small business whom then have to furlo even more workers whom then now need the direct giving thus growing the number of people in need. Or do you give to the businesses that are struggling to help them keep those people employed and out of the need for the hand outs in the first place.

I'm not real sure there is a right answer to that equation, just posing it as the alternative line of thinking. As you, I don't do social media for a reason, which is creeping into Pinside more and more everyday now. I do wish we could keep to pinball here though

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

This is a tough one. I get the point of donating to charity but isn't the point of these checks to help stimulate the economy by purchasing through businesses?
If you spend all your money on local businesses, that will in-turn provide them with the income they need to pay their rent and payroll which then reduces the strain on things like the food bank as less people are out of work.
It's kind of a catch 22 in my brain. Do you give it directly to those in need right now but then the situation gets worse for small business whom then have to furlo even more workers whom then now need the direct giving thus growing the number of people in need. Or do you give to the businesses that are struggling to help them keep those people employed and out of the need for the hand outs in the first place.
I'm not real sure there is a right answer to that equation, just posing it as the alternative line of thinking. As you, I don't do social media for a reason, which is creeping into Pinside more and more everyday now. I do wish we could keep to pinball here though

correct. we need to pump this money into the economy. that is the purpose.

also, IRS is not counting it as INCOME or against next years taxes and it does NOT have to be paid back. This really is 100% a freebie unless they change something.

#12 4 years ago

I’m using mine to pay debt to the money changers who need to be chased out of the temple again.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

This really is 100% a freebie unless they change something.

Yep, said it before...

They will just now pay 900 per toilet seat rather than 800.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I completely agree - everybody just do what feels right - spend it, give it, payoff debt - whatever works for you. I tossed around the idea of donating directly to people in need, but how do you even figure that out. Then I contacted all my friends to make sure they were ok, there is no good answer to this. Just do what feels right to you.

#15 4 years ago

Sometimes it is difficult to get money to the people who need it. I started a food ministry, stood outside a place locals came to for assistance with Food Lion gift cards and baskets of produce from the garden. Asked people coming if they wanted a card, they brushed by me and went inside. A few said no and went inside.
So after awhile I went inside and gave the Manager of the place the cards while all of the people who brushed me off stared at me. The Manager acted hateful toward me and slung the cards in a drawer.
Left the basket of produce by the door and left.
Started mailing them anonymously to people after that. I don't trust "Official Organizations" to be proper stewards after I found out what United Way Executives make.

#16 4 years ago

I didn't qualify for one, but my wife did and received it today. She used hers to buy Nintendo Switches and Animal Crossing for a few of her friends who really wanted to play with her but don't have the funds.

#17 4 years ago

ours is going back to local small businesses. Trying to buy as much as we can from them or even take out a couple times a week. Things we would never do before. I will make sure it’s pumped back into our community.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

ours is going back to local small businesses. Trying to buy as much as we can from them or even take out a couple times a week. Things we would never do before. I will make sure it’s pumped back into our community.

this is our plan as well, all local getting our check. I really wish they would just focus on getting money to small business. We are still waiting on our Payroll protection SBA money. Got a email today saying it could be JUNE??? what the hell? we need it now.

#19 4 years ago

Got ours today, about $2400.00 for a household of 3. Was expecting more.

My industry/work as an air charter manager is mainly automotive-related - consequently, our airline has been hit hard and is basically grounded. All employees were asked to take a week off unpaid. A couple dozen layoffs so far with more layoffs/unpaid furloughs expected.
We've been taking care of our families, shopping for our elderly parents to limit their exposure, etc. We try to do our part throughout the year to help those in need.

As the primary wage earner in my household (my wife has M.S. and collects SSD, which isn't much), our stimulus will be used to cover my lost wages, both present and future. It may sound crappy, but for the time being, I am circling the wagons around my family.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

Our stimulus money is going back to local small businesses. Trying to buy as much as we can from them.

Living in the greater Chicagoland area, I'd like to spend it to help support local business Stern Pinball in their time of need.
Unfortunately, my wife won't let me.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stimulus-gifting-do-your-part?hl=midniight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.