(Topic ID: 228898)

Still looking for ideas to diagnose switch fault (Bally)

By swampwiz

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Quench
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I had an earlier post about this, but that looks to have died, and I have some new information, so I figure I'll try again. The title is Playboy.

So for the test, there is a switch showing a fault. I've cut both the diode & capacitor off, and have even separated the switch stack, and it's still showing fault!

The only thing I can think of is to look at the switches that are along the 2 inputs lines and look for a short, and after that, start cutting the diode & capacitor for all the switches that are on either of the input lines. What else can I try?

#2 5 years ago

i would unplug the connector at the mpu to verify its not a board problem first, and if its not a board problem i would start looking for shorts in the harness/wiring or at connections anywhere a wire could short to ground - should be fairly simple to locate

#3 5 years ago

Really curious about which switch is showing what error.
    Cut the switch out of the matrix, is the error gone? If so, replace the switch, if not, isolate the whole matrix like Kenny suggested.

#5 5 years ago

You need to be more clear which game you are talking about. Your post title says Bally so I'm assuming this is the 1978 Bally Playboy??
    Please identify the switch and what you mean by error? Are you saying the switch shows up in switch test as being stuck closed?
    Since you tried cutting off the cap, what happens if you remove the wires from the switch?

In general you have either a shorted switch stack or the strobe or return wire for that switch is shorted. Unsoldering the wires from the switch will help narrow that down.
    Knowing which switch will help with trouble shooting too.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Which playboy?

Bally

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from BigAl56:

You need to be more clear which game you are talking about. Your post title says Bally so I'm assuming this is the 1978 Bally Playboy??
    Please identify the switch and what you mean by error? Are you saying the switch shows up in switch test as being stuck closed?
    Since you tried cutting off the cap, what happens if you remove the wires from the switch?
    In general you have either a shorted switch stack or the strobe or return wire for that switch is shorted. Unsoldering the wires from the switch will help narrow that down.
    Knowing which switch will help with trouble shooting too.

The switch is #40, left thumper. When playing, it seems to work fine.

#8 5 years ago

SOLVED!

Evidently, what is "left" on the schematic is from the perspective from the back of the machine. The "left", from the perspective of the player, thumper has the wiring for the "right" and vice-versa. So I cut the capacitor for the "schematic 'left'" and inserted a new capacitor - while reconnecting the diode & capacitor for the "schematic 'right'", which I had originally cut. Now all I have to do is solder it all back.

#9 5 years ago

Please tell me the wire colors for both sw 39 and sw 40.
    I'll change them accordingly on my Playboy Tech Chart.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from swampwiz:

SOLVED!
    Evidently, what is "left" on the schematic is from the perspective from the back of the machine. The "left", from the perspective of the player, thumper has the wiring for the "right" and vice-versa. So I cut the capacitor for the "schematic 'left'" and inserted a new capacitor - while reconnecting the diode & capacitor for the "schematic 'right'", which I had originally cut. Now all I have to do is solder it all back.

That's usually not how it works, FYI. Maybe a schematic error or wiring got messed up previously.

#11 5 years ago

Would it be possible to exchange the pop bumper assembly left and right?
    That would explain this situation.

#12 5 years ago

It could very well be that I was the one that swapped them, as I had redone the the pop bumpers and a complete playfield swap - as well as possibly a screwup at the factory. I have them in their proper location now. But if I were someone with a Playboy, I'd definitely take a look at the wires to see if they are also screwed up.

#13 5 years ago

The schematics and manual are correct.

On my Playboy, the left pop bumper is switch 40 and the switch wire colors are yellow-red for the strobe wire and orange for the return wire.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/still-looking-for-ideas-to-diagnose-switch-fault-bally and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.