By timab2000

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hey Guys,

My Flash Gordon has a rather sticky left flipper. I can't seem to figure out what the hell is causing it. When it sticks, if I turn off the game it stays stuck.

So I thought ...ok it's mechanical. So I bought a rebuild kit and rebuilt both flippers and it still sticks. If you just barely touch it, it releases. WTF!! I can not get it to stick if I move it, nothing seems to be binding up or sticky.

Can it be one of the little diodes on the coil? I have ran out of ideas as to what to check.

I am not 100% sure that they are wired correctly (coils) so if someone could please post a picture of properly wired left and right flippers, I would really appreciate it. I have a wiring diagram and to be honest it does not help me with how the end of stroke switches are wired. I need to see a picture of them.

But if it's the diode and I use a Multimeter how do I know if they are bad??

Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

If it stays up with the power off it's not a diode. What parts weren't replaced when you did the rebuild?

#3 6 years ago

Well I think I solved the problem...

I read a post where a guy said he had put a piece of paper between the coil stop and the plunger and it seems to have fix the problem.

Go figure

#4 6 years ago

The paper is likely to wear out and you'll be back to the drawing board. What I've seen make these style flipper stick is worn sleeves (the split ones that go around the plungers and rest in the "L bracket"), that same "L bracket" being not quite at a 90 degree bend where it mounts to the plate, this is critical (actually so are good sleeves). Gap not correct between the flipper bat and playfield bushing, too low or too high, puts the plunger in a bind. If you got a rebuild kit use everything. This old bally flippers are tricky and getting everything adjusted right is crucial for them to act right.

#5 6 years ago

Linear flippers suck. Get a conversion kit to make them like the previous style, rotational flipper. You do all that work to get the flips Just Right, then the metal and Teflon bang around a little and you're back to sticky-icky.

http://www.pbresource.com/rebuildkit.html#KT-BFLIP03

Not sure if you can re-use the baseplate. If you can, spin it around so all your screw holes will be fresh.

#6 6 years ago

Just as another view, I did Vids recommended change from linear to http://www.pbresource.com/rebuildkit.html#KT-BFLIP03
and I really wasn't very happy. I find a fast, or even medium speed ball, will push the flippers down if they are in an up position when hit; which didn't happen before. Myslef and a few other people have been asking to see if we did something wrong and never got a resolution so maybe you have to choose from one or the other problem?

#7 6 years ago

They shouldn't collapse. With all the tungsten points filed (or new) and everything adjusted just so, they should be very snappy and impervious to ball collapse.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

They shouldn't collapse. With all the tungsten points filed (or new) and everything adjusted just so, they should be very snappy and impervious to ball collapse.

Yep, that's what we've heard but no dice yet. Brand new flipper rebuild kits listed above.

#9 6 years ago

This was a common problem with those flippers. Residual magnetism. The symptom is a magnetic lock freezing the flipper. If you tap the flipper does it go free? The coil stops were made out of the wrong metal causing the problem. The flipper rebuild kit Cody suggests should fix it.

#10 6 years ago

I have fixed this problem 100s of times and it is not always the same problem causing it.All of the above and
another thing i discovered quite recently is that sometimes the bracket that holds the coil gets out of round, letting the coil move a bit causing the hangup, especially when a brass sleeve is used at some time. It is a part that is not in the service kits, so mostly overlooked. Took me some time (30?years) to find this one out.
I don't like changing parts to the older flippers, especially in home use since the game plays different. Flash Gordon gets that special feel for the gameplay with the linear flippers that i remember so well when it was new. The older flippers are more snappier because the parts are lighter.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from cudabee:

Flash Gordon gets that special feel for the gameplay with the linear flippers that i remember so well when it was new.

Yep, although I was too young to remember it new... Ahem, I do like the feel of the linears. I like the feel of most flipper types. Each one is special to each manufacturer and time period. These linears just feel right at home in the old Bally's.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

This was a common problem with those flippers. Residual magnetism.

+1. I would suspect this is what is going on if paper between the plunger and coil stop helped. I have seen this many times. Replace the coil stops.

#13 6 years ago

He said he bought a rebuild kit and rebuilt the flippers and that should have included new coil stops. If it did perhaps the bat is too tight to the playfield bushing with no up and down play?

#14 6 years ago

It still could just be re-magnetizing the new coil stops. A different brand may need to be used. I know this is generally frowned on, but tightening the spring ever so slightly may be enough to resolve the issue, as well. If it's the assembly is not out of alignment and not over-plunging to the point of getting stuck, then this is a possible cause.

#15 6 years ago

I'll bet your sticking problem is with the coil stops in the linear kit, I ran into that issue a number of years ago and changed the stops--problem went away.

As far as those linear flipper go, be sure to cut your return spring in half if you want a better flipper return. Bally issued a service bulletin some time after the linear flippers went into service to address customer and operator complaints. Their advice was to cut the spring in half to improve the flipper return. Hard to say if flippers on your particular game have the correct return spring.

As a player and operator, I am not a fan of the linear flipper design, but hey if you like it then it is your game do what you want. OTOH, those linear slingshot kickers are much worse than the previous design and were a complete cluster, can't stand those assemblies.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 99.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 10.00
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 179.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sticky-left-flipper-flash-gordon?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.