(Topic ID: 245832)

Sticky flipper - what could it be?

By EvanDickson

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EvanDickson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

So I have a weird sticky flipper issue on my Centaur. I believe it's mechanical in nature, because I can turn off the machine and the flipper stays stuck in the extended position. However I can't recreate by moving the flipper or the solenoid with my finger, it only sticks if fired with the flipper button. It's a wierd one - anyone know what could cause this? *** I did a full rebuild on the flippers maybe a month ago, they worked great for a while before the flipper began to stick.

#6 4 years ago

Ok, I'll rebuild the rebuild I guess. . Thanks for the input!

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Two usual causes are a poor quality coil stop that's getting magnetised when you activate the flipper causing it to hold onto the plunger rod, or the plunger rod travel is getting caught from not being aligned (usually because the coil stop isn't screwed down flat enough.
Try swapping that coil stop with the other flipper and see if the problem follows.

I did this and it was good for one game. Then I grabbed a tiny light washer and ran a test, both flipper assemblies are magnetized. I'll have to find a way to reverse it.

#15 4 years ago

I took it off for the billiontith time with the intent of installing WPC mechs instead. Inspected the underside to see if they'd fit and thought to myself, I can probably make it work, I just have to watch out for that mangled light socket that was somehow under the old mounting bracket.

Mangled light socket under the old bracket.

Yeah. That would be what was magnetizing the thing.

Gave the old assembly a bunch of whacks all over with a wrench. This did de-magnetize it. Got the mangled light socket better situated and reinstalled the flipper assembly. Much better now.

Thanks all!

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Oh, the 'mangled light socket socket under the old bracket' problem. I was going to say that....
I am at a loss how a light socket, mangled or otherwise, could cause parts to become magnetized? Someone, please educate me!
Thanks for letting us know the 'fix!'

Haha. I'm guessing the small current for the lamp gave the mounting bracket a charge over time. Could also be coincidence. But it seems like the most likely culprit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
£ 195.00
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

7,032 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EvanDickson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sticky-flipper-what-could-it-be?tu=EvanDickson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.