You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

16191.jpg
62084.jpg
IMG_6208.JPG
#1 9 years ago

I was playing my DM last night using the normal flipper buttons as opposed to the handles. The one on the right kept getting stuck. I lifted the playfield up to see what was happening and I can't find anything wrong. Of course I couldn't reproduce it when I was in there. It looks like the button pushes a plastic tab back which stops blocking an optical sensor which I assume activates the flipper. Is that how it works? At first I thought it might be magnetic in nature which could have been the reason I couldn't reproduce the problem with the game off. But after further inspection, it looks optical.

The plastic tab seems to come back very easily, so I think it might just be the button getting hung up. If so, how do I get the button off? It looks like it just unscrews from a socket. Is there a tool I need to get it off? My guess is that I could just grab the button with a pair of pliers and unscrew it, but I think that would damage the new button.

One other question.....where do I buy new buttons? I found some cool ones online that light up, but I wouldn't know where to tap them for power.

#2 9 years ago

Its the button getting stuck. You can take the button apart and file it down inside the button housing put it back together. That usually does the trick.

#3 9 years ago

Wow, that has to be the fastest reply in the history of a forum.

Does it just unscrew from the cabinet? It looks like it's screwed into a socket. Just wrap it in a towel and grab it with some pliers?

Thanks fiberdude!

#4 9 years ago

From the inside you can unscrew the nut that holds them into the cabinet than remove. Don't try to unscrew the button itself they are not made to turn.

#5 9 years ago

Unfortunately, mine seems to be different. The nut on the back side is recessed into the cabinet and there isn't anything to grab.

#6 9 years ago

It's a PAL nut. I use needle nose pliers to grab the nut, unless someone installed it upside down. If that's the case, then your in for work getting it out. Sometimes the flipper buttons themselves get dirt and gunk inside making them sticky. Some buttons have an 'E' clip you can remove, allowing you to take apart the button and clean. Others do not. If you are going to take out to clean or replace, you'll still need to get that PAL nut out.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

It's a PAL nut. I use needle nose pliers to grab the nut, unless someone installed it upside down. If that's the case, then your in for work getting it out. Sometimes the flipper buttons themselves get dirt and gunk inside making them sticky. Some buttons have an 'E' clip you can remove, allowing you to take apart the button and clean. Others do not. If you are going to take out to clean or replace, you'll still need to get that PAL nut out.

Yeah, on the PAL nut the sharp edge should face the inside of the cabinet. Drives me crazy when people put them on backwards.

#8 9 years ago

I think it might be on backwards, but I'll take a look at it when I get home.

It didn't look like I could take the button apart. The back, that makes contact with the plastic tab, is mushroomed. I think I might need to replace them.

Would these be the correct buttons for my DM?

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3332

EDIT-> It doesn't look like that is the right part. This website (provided I'm looking at the right thing) has the part number as A-16993-4. It appears as though the -4 refers to the color. So any button labeled as A-16993 would work?

http://www.moll.no/pinball/parts/index.php

I can't seem to find them on PinballLife. Is there any other decent place to buy them?

#9 9 years ago

It's probably not mushroomed. Some are held together with a c-clip. Others are just like melted or flanged from the factory to hold it together. That is probably what you are seeing. Those PBL ones are probably correct, but to be certain, I would remove the one you have and measure the length and see if it is the same as PBL states.

#10 9 years ago

Marco has the buttons

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I think it might be on backwards, but I'll take a look at it when I get home.
It didn't look like I could take the button apart. The back, that makes contact with the plastic tab, is mushroomed. I think I might need to replace them.
Would these be the correct buttons for my DM?

It's not mushroomed, it's supposed to be like that. It snaps into the outer housing and that keeps it from pulling back out. Those are correct 1-1/8" buttons. The opaque ones on their site are correct too.

You can always take the buttons out. Soak them overnight in soapy water and rinse and dry thoroughly. If whatever is sticky inside is water soluble it might clean them, but the buttons are cheap enough just to replace...

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

It's probably not mushroomed.

I didn't mean mushroomed from damage or play, but by design. Sorry for the confusion.

I've been searching around and some places list the A-16883 part number as being 1" and others have it listed as 1 1/8". It says 1 1/8" here:

But it says 1" here:

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BU-A-16683-1

I was hoping to get a transparent one so I could wire up an LED on the backside. I'll have to rip it out and measure it as you suggested schudel5

#13 9 years ago

Your PAL nuts aren't on backwards. You just use the needle nose and grab the edge of the nut. Hard to explain in text but twist it loose. They won't be on super tight.

Then once you do that you just push the button out. The button will have the point that pushes the opto plastic/wire or leaf blade (Yours doesn't have left switches but opto flippers) to activate the flipper(s). If you can get a big enough socket you can put the button face down as the button is two plastic pieces. The part that depress should push out if you push the little part as mentioned before that activates the flipper. You can file it a bit so it doesn't stick. I've gotten a few of these lately especially the transparent ones that are doing this too. It's really annoying.

Of course if you replace them it won’t matter, but it’s an easy and quick fix for your buttons now. Here’s a pic of my old TAF cabinet if it helps to show how to grab that nut.

Hoping this will shed some light?

IMG_6208.JPGIMG_6208.JPG
Better shot of flipper button PAL nut:
62084.jpg62084.jpg

#14 9 years ago

Dave to the rescue!

So the button doesn't actually come apart in two separate pieces, but I can shove it in far enough to sand it down a little? I think I see what you're saying.

#15 9 years ago

It does come apart in two pieces but easiest to take the button out of the cabinet. Just grab that edge of the nut (not the entire nut) with needle nosed pliers. Then push the small end (side that faces into cabinet when button is installed towards the outside. There may or may not be a spring inside but that's ok. Just file the part that slides and replace spring before putting back together if it has one. The two plastic parts of the button are just a friction fit. It's one of those things that's easier to show in person than explain.

#16 9 years ago

You don't have to take the buttons out of the cabinet. Once the switch is out of the way, tap the button's stem with a plastic hammer, or use a wood block. The button will pop out of its plastic housing. Now you can clean out all the yuck from 10,000 peoples' fingers. If there's a tapered spring in there, just toss it. They don't do much except make it feel weird when they crunch under your fingers.

Sure new buttons are cheap, but if you want to fix it now, they pop apart, and pop back together, too.

Allan

#17 9 years ago

Duckbill pliers are your friends for removing those nuts

16191.jpg16191.jpg
#18 9 years ago

If this was a new Stern the flipper buttons will just pop out on their own. It's a new LE feature

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

If this was a new Stern the flipper buttons will just pop out on their own. It's a new LE feature

That one made my day. Thank you.

#20 9 years ago

I had flipper buttons stuck on my T-2 and STTNG. All I did was spray a tiny bit of silicon onto the button shafts, push them in a few times and no more stuck buttons. It doesn't take a lot. Just a small drop/spray is all it needs. Sometimes all you need to do is push the button in and rotate it a few times. If there is anything stuck to the shaft, that will usually work it out without having to take the button out and disassemble it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 81.95
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sticky-flipper-buttons and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.