34 days ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 33 days ago by vireland
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 34 days ago

It seems like the balls I bought from Ball Baron (mirror finish) have a bit of grease on them. No matter what I do, though, I can’t seem to get them to the point where they’re not a little “sticky.”

The byproduct of that is that it seems to lift the carnauba wax off the play field. I see wax building up on the balls and I see marks of the wax on the post rubbers. I also see a lot of English on the balls after a few plays... more than it seems there should be.

Is there a trick to getting balls to the point where they aren’t sticky? I’ve tried a couple different cleaners (novus, windex, naphtha) and I use microfibre to clean it. Am I missing something?

#2 34 days ago

What game are you using them in? Those mirror finish balls can become magnetized if you are using them in a game with magnets. Been there.

#3 34 days ago

Clean them with alcohol. Let them air dry for a short time.

#4 34 days ago
    Quoted from LukyDuck:

Clean them with alcohol. Let them air dry for a short time.

Absolutely, but definitely use a beer that you don't like.

#5 34 days ago

99% isopropyl alcohol

#6 34 days ago

+1 on using isopropyl alcohol. Use a lint free rag & use a different spot on the rag to rub each ball where you pre-soaked it with isopropyl. Never had any issues with Ball Baron balls when cleaning them thoroughly.

#7 34 days ago
    Quoted from Erich0:

It seems like the balls I bought from Ball Baron (mirror finish) have a bit of grease on them. No matter what I do, though, I can’t seem to get them to the point where they’re not a little “sticky.”
    The byproduct of that is that it seems to lift the carnauba wax off the play field. I see wax building up on the balls and I see marks of the wax on the post rubbers. I also see a lot of English on the balls after a few plays... more than it seems there should be.
    Is there a trick to getting balls to the point where they aren’t sticky? I’ve tried a couple different cleaners (novus, windex, naphtha) and I use microfibre to clean it. Am I missing something?

Dawn, or...rubbing alcohol.

But if the game you're putting these in has magnets, you will be sorry very quickly as those mirror balls magnetize like crazy.

#8 34 days ago

Maybe too much wax on field. Even if sticky balls, cant believe I said that, there shouldn't be enough wax to adhere to balls

#9 33 days ago

Silverjet balls from Marco came with a lot of grease on them. Like others have said rubbing alcohol works to remove.

#10 33 days ago

Using them in AFMr, so no magnets. Thanks for the recommendations all. I’ll see if I can get my hands on some isopropyl alcohol, but I remember having a tough time recently when I was looking at making some homemade hand sanitizer. It may be I’m using too much wax, too. I’m still learning.

#11 33 days ago

Games don't necessarily need magnets to magnetize balls. The electrical fields around the play field are enough.

#12 33 days ago
    Quoted from Erich0:

Using them in AFMr, so no magnets. Thanks for the recommendations all. I’ll see if I can get my hands on some isopropyl alcohol, but I remember having a tough time recently when I was looking at making some homemade hand sanitizer. It may be I’m using too much wax, too. I’m still learning.

You shouldn't be able to feel any wax on the playfield. It should just be smooth and shiny. Apply wax, wipe off wax, polish playfield.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 49.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    $ 18.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 150.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    Electronics
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 16.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 219.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 209.99
    $ 11.00
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 6.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    API Houdini Out of stock
    The MOD Couple
    $ 4.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 9.00
    $ 15.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside