Topic Stats

• 93 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ledge
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

woz (resized).jpeg
Packing 2 (resized).JPG
IMG_3431 (resized).JPG
crate open (resized).jpg
crate closed (resized).jpg
b97de7cdf88e20fdba6194472f2456bfb438b329 (resized).jpg
IMG_1867 (resized).JPG
IMG_1868 (resized).JPG
pfglass (resized).jpg
37a2de6fca346791bca1eba4abd54f83--wot-in-tarnation-what-in-tarnation-meme (resized).jpg
IMG_3400 (resized).PNG
IMG_3394 (resized).JPG
IMG_3392 (resized).JPG

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 2 years ago

Probably a good time for a shameless plug. I sell pinball insurance for $65 up to $9000 per machine. It's nearly impossible to collect claim money from carriers due to damaged freight. They almost always find loopholes. My insurance is different, and no, you don't have to ship with me to be insured. The process is quick and easy. PM me to get covered.

To the OP, I'm very sorry this happened.

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from bdaley6509:

Probably a good time for a shameless plug. I sell pinball insurance for $65 up to $9000 per machine. It's nearly impossible to collect claim money from carriers due to damaged freight. They almost always find loopholes. My insurance is different, and no, you don't have to ship with me to be insured. The process is quick and easy. PM me to get covered.
To the OP, I'm very sorry this happened

This is what you should do if you are worried about shipping damage. If you are a seller get your buyer to pay the fee. If your a buyer pay the damn fee and forget about it!

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from gtxjoe:

Here is the PDI glass video
ยป YouTube video

Even tempered glass is reasonably strong (as per the pic) and also shatters into a thousand bits rather than break into shards like the op experienced

Not that I would recommend this approach for checking (BTW this is not me)

pfglass (resized).jpg

#54 2 years ago

That's me !

#55 2 years ago

That definitely is not tempered glass. Probably why it broke in the first place. Tempered glass will break in thousands of pieces and not sharp, jagged, chunks like shown. I would look into who sold you the glass and get it replaced.

#56 2 years ago

you could have stood on your baywatch instead of the grail MM

#57 2 years ago

Doesn't the agreement with STI include "white glove service"??
We ship pins all the time thru STI and other than occasional bent legs we don't have issues and they are fairly good about claims.
The key is to wrap it yourself and don't trust those idiots to do it. We have several delivery crews that come to our place and only one I trust who cares about us as customers and about our shipping pins [Rod]. They mostly hire the lowest forms of life to pickup and deliver and don't give 2 sh!ts about your multi-thousand dollar toys.

In short, wrap the sh!t out of it yourself before they get there for best results.

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

My doctor wears white gloves during my annual... um... male exams. Just sayin.

#59 2 years ago

STI just did this but it's fully insured so just have to jump through their hoops to file claim. The "normal" issues are bent legs

IMG_1868 (resized).JPG
IMG_1867 (resized).JPG

#60 2 years ago

That looks like it came from Jurassic Park.

#61 2 years ago
Quoted from surfsidedetail:

STI just did this but it's fully insured so just have to jump through their hoops to file claim. The "normal" issues are bent legs

That will buff out............

#62 2 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

We ship pins all the time thru STI and other than occasional bent legs we don't have issues and they are fairly good about claims.
The key is to wrap it yourself and don't trust those idiots to do it. We have several delivery crews that come to our place and only one I trust who cares about us as customers and about our shipping pins [Rod]. They mostly hire the lowest forms of life to pickup and deliver and don't give 2 sh!ts about your multi-thousand dollar toys.
In short, wrap the sh!t out of it yourself before they get there for best results.

As many have said here, most shippers will not honor damage claims on games that they were not able to see when picked up.
And I don't blame them one bit.

#63 2 years ago

1. Anyone who tells you to pack yourself has no clue how insurance companies work. Shipping companies have GREAT lobbies in Congress: that's how they got laws put in place so YOU have to buy insurance to protect yourself against THEIR negligence. Their claims departments are evil to the core. If they CAN deny, they WILL deny. And if you pack yourself, shit can still happen and they WILL deny.
2. ALWAYS ship on legs. ALWAYS. The most common damage when you ship on legs is a bent leg. The most common damage when you ship palleted is cabinet separation or fork-holes. There's one exception to this rule: if you can re-pack a game in a Stern/JJP box with appropriate packing materials and get the STI ppl to WATCH you pack it, do that. Good luck getting the shippers to wait.

#64 2 years ago

Lets face it, shipping pins blows.
Always try to find local.
If your that desperate for a title, than you pay to much and risk damage.
Really, you have to have it now?, i have to ship it now,...oh my grail pin, ill never see another in this good of shape.
Patience in pinball is key.

#65 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I really wish people would learn not to ship games on legs, especially a game of this caliber. Just a terrible idea all around for so many reasons. Very sorry this happened to you, but hopefully it's just the glass. That glass scares me though...why is it not tempered??

There are reports of games being messed up no matter HOW you ship it. You don't get forklifts through the cab on a leg-on game. No silver bullet when it comes to shipping and vast majority of shipped games make it without issue.

At the minimum I think you need to fold the head over, with cardboard protecting the playfield glass. Doesn't look like this was the case on this one.

#66 2 years ago

I used to ship games in and out on almost a weekly basis, some weeks multiple games. I always felt better about games being on a pallet. Forklift operators are far more used to putting forks into a pallet than they are sliding it under a cab that has the legs on. And yes, they do move them with a forklift when they're on legs.

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Lets face it, shipping pins blows.
Always try to find local.
If your that desperate for a title, than you pay to much and risk damage.
Really, you have to have it now?, i have to ship it now,...oh my grail pin, ill never see another in this good of shape.
Patience in pinball is key.

California - Population density 246/sq mile. 39 million people.
Alberta - Population density 16.5/sq mile. 4 million people.

In some locations, waiting for a local version of a game is not always feasible, just aren't as many people (so not as many games) around.

#68 2 years ago

I still can't believe anyone would ship a pin with the legs on standing up. How hard is it and how long does it take to put it on a pallet and wrap it in some type of protection. Cling wrap is not protection.

#69 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I still can't believe anyone would ship a pin with the legs on standing up. How hard is it and how long does it take to put it on a pallet and wrap it in some type of protection.

If you aren't going to bother to pack it like this, then it really doesn't matter how you choose to ship it.

b97de7cdf88e20fdba6194472f2456bfb438b329 (resized).jpg

#70 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If you aren't going to bother to pack it like this, then it really doesn't matter how you choose to ship it.

WOW!

#71 2 years ago

So far the man that builds the crates has had a 100% success rate. And he has done a lot of them.

#72 2 years ago

Back in the day I could pick up a dime with a forklift. If everything is on a pallet the job is dead easy. Its when you have to pick everything up at different levels that you fork fuck something. Everything comercial ships on pallet so your way better off to be on one.

Sweet crate does it come apart easy so you can reuse it?

#73 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Sweet crate does it come apart easy so you can reuse it?

About 300 drywall screws later. I use a phillips bit on a drill to expedite matters.

On the inside it is packaged better than some others do without the crate.

#74 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This is how it should always be done.
Saving pic for future example.

#75 2 years ago

This is how it should always be done.
Saving pic for future example.

Same here, looks like about $50 in materials?

#76 2 years ago

Hard to believe it was a lowly solid state like Skateball that arrived in that crate. But then again, that particular one is irreplaceable.

#77 2 years ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

Same here, looks like about $50 in materials?

Worth every penny.
Ive sent out a few that were close to this, but this shipment wins.

#78 2 years ago

He's had a lot of practice. He even sends EMs in those crates including my Big Daddy. But if it is a choice example, why chance it?

#79 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

He's had a lot of practice. He even sends EMs in those crates including my Big Daddy. But if it is a choice example, why chance it?

The problem is only your guy is doing this crating. This should be the pinside standard and STI should send how to info before shipping pins.

#80 2 years ago

The problem is only your guy is doing this crating. This should be the pinside standard and STI should send how to info before shipping pins.

This is how I build my crates. Here's a slot machine I recently sent out via STI. Arrived in perfect condition.

3/4" plywood bottom screwed to pallet. 1/2" OSB plywood sides and top, 2x2s at each corner. LOTS of drywall screws.

crate closed (resized).jpg

crate open (resized).jpg

#81 2 years ago

Sweet. You rock! Photo stolen for future records! 2nd place, its a slot.
This needs to be its own thread and start a Standard nationwide.
Its just better for business.
We also get our pins in one piece.

#82 2 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

This is how I build my crates. Here's a slot machine I recently sent out via STI. Arrived in perfect condition.
3/4" plywood bottom screwed to pallet. 1/2" OSB plywood sides and top, 2x2s at each corner. LOTS of drywall screws.

The only suggestion I would have to anyone shipping crated is put a "double skid" on the bottom of your crate. Basically build up bottom of box about 3 to 4" off skid with either a second slightly smaller skid (cut down skid) or 2x4 framing with plywood floor.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen forklift guys have forks too high and go right through a skid. Having machine up 3 or 4 inches off the skid will keep machine from getting damaged by bad fork lift driver (or someone just having a bad day). If you are going through all the trouble to crate why not protect the back of the machine which is closet to the forklift forks?

#83 2 years ago

I'll prepare to ship a game any way the buyer requests. After all it's his money, his responsibility, and his end product. But if he wants to haggle and be cheap, there will be no special effort on my end.

#84 2 years ago

Personally, I would never ship such a nicely restored game like that and rely on STI to wrap it. I've always crated them. I've been fairly lucky with stuff that has been shipped to be by STI, but I've also had my fair share of damage claims on items shipped via STI to me. Luckily, the shippers fully photo documented the pickup and their wrapping procedure which leaves a LOT to be desired. I've never had a claim denied yet.

Can't help but recall that WOZ I shipped to you. STI did a fine job of protecting it... except for beating the shit out of the legs with the pallet jack!

I agree, I have always preferred to wrap and pallet a pin for shipping.

#85 2 years ago

I had a wood crate I used a couple of times between Halifax & Marco Specialties. On a return trip from SC, they still managed to drive forks into the crate at 36" So shit still happens no matter what you do. Also the AC/DC BIB I had got destroyed in a trailer roll over. The owner might of received very little claim per pound, compared to it's $15k value with added features (mods). I use UPS for shipping glass & playfields, & never waste my time trying to get a claim. Might as well piss in the wind!

#86 2 years ago

I'm new here; most everyone and most every thread on pinside proclaims "only ship with Michelle, she takes care of everything". Read the special instructions on the bill of lading. Are these few sentences here are the only reason why she is considered the expert? Or is it in pricing? Another mention is that the value of game was never asked by Michelle.
I'm still wondering how the packing came off my game and 5 others I saw on standby. Seeing a full crate enclosure and wonder how much more that would cost and who will do it? Seller? STI? I think full crate it's a bit excessive for most units. That said, If that was an option for me I would have considered. If I knew about third party insurance, that too I would have considered. I remember looking at frieght threads here to learn more about the process and problems and found little helpful advice. Most threads choked out and prolapsed with "only buy cash and haul yourself".

Most of the damage I'm seeing on my unit and the others are forklift damage. There is no notice on on bill of lading that says "no forklift". Disappointing.
And there isn't a "next page", not in my paperwork anyway.

There should be a frieght thread or notice in the market (to which frieght is a standard) or somewhere relatively easy to find. that outlines options, how to's, make sure to, dont's, etc. it should be mentioned not to use forklifts for instance, or be sure to tell Michelle the value of your unit, because she may not think to ask. I'm sure it's common for many of you. I had no idea what to expect.

IMG_3431 (resized).JPG

#87 2 years ago

I have sent at least a dozen games through STI this way with no issues. Knock on wood.

Packing 2 (resized).JPG

#88 2 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Can't help but recall that WOZ I shipped to you. STI did a fine job of protecting it... except for beating the shit out of the legs with the pallet jack!

The thing that clenched the claim on that one was the picture you took of it after they "wrapped it" and strapped it into the truck. There was NO protection on the legs, which was THEIR responsibility to do. Clear negligence on their part.
woz (resized).jpeg

Quoted from Mogg:

Seeing a full crate enclosure and wonder how much more that would cost and who will do it? Seller? STI?

STI will not crate AFAIK. It's up to the seller.

It costs me about $100 or so in materials to crate a game. Cheap insurance on just about any game worth sending via STI. I have all the wood (even the 2x2s) cut to the dimensions I need at Home Depot. At that point it's just a matter of wrapping the game, securing it to the pallet, and then assembling the crate around it. Takes about 2-3 hours, including waiting for the wood to be cut at HD.

#89 2 years ago

The thing that clenched the claim on that one was the picture you took of it after they "wrapped it" and strapped it into the truck. There was NO protection on the legs, which was THEIR responsibility to do. Clear negligence on their part.

And until you pointed it out, I hadn't noticed the pallet jack snugged right up against the leg!

#90 2 years ago

Update on my customers claim today that STI approved it and he is getting a check by September 1st. If you have clear documentation the damage is their fault and jump through their hoops they will pay. Good luck

#91 2 years ago

Sorry bro. How's that TZ holding up?

#92 2 years ago

My experience with STI is that if you buy the extra insurance on the front end, everything is documented and you get the the requested repair quotes is that STI pays claims.

#93 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

I have sent at least a dozen games through STI this way with no issues. Knock on wood.

this is how i do it as well. no issues here either.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 229.99
There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside