Topic Stats

• 93 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ledge
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

woz (resized).jpeg
Packing 2 (resized).JPG
IMG_3431 (resized).JPG
crate open (resized).jpg
crate closed (resized).jpg
b97de7cdf88e20fdba6194472f2456bfb438b329 (resized).jpg
IMG_1867 (resized).JPG
IMG_1868 (resized).JPG
pfglass (resized).jpg
37a2de6fca346791bca1eba4abd54f83--wot-in-tarnation-what-in-tarnation-meme (resized).jpg
IMG_3400 (resized).PNG
IMG_3394 (resized).JPG
IMG_3392 (resized).JPG

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

So I sold a beautiful restored MM that was loaded. STI came and picked it up, layed down a blanket, took it to the truck, and told me they were going to take extra care to wrap it more and put cardboard around it all, since it was such and expensive item. Well, a few weeks pass, and the new owner, who has been great, goes to pick it up because they were taking forever to get it to him. When he got there, this is what it looked like.

IMG_3392 (resized).JPG

The PDI glass was shattere, no cardboard and now no blanket. Im not sure of the extent of the damage, but this is heart breaking. This MM was completely custom, down to powdercoated arpons, shaker, colordmd, lighted trolls and dragons, cleared playfield, pretty much everything was immaculate.

#2 2 years ago

Also forgot to mention the cabinet itself was spectacular, not even a mark on it.

#3 2 years ago

It's hard to see detail in that picture but is the PDI glass broken but large portions of it still intact with sharp sections exposed? I thought PDI was still tempered glass???

Very sorry to see this, one of the reasons I hate the thought of shipping machines.

#4 2 years ago

It might just be the glass. If that is the case it isn't in the end of the world. Just takes some time to vacuum up and put a new sheet in. If the cabinet if fine you should be good.

#5 2 years ago

That is terrible. I feel badly for you and the buyer and hope you can work things out. Hopefully its only the glass and cleaning up the mess. That broke like plate glass though didn't it? Everytime I have seen tempered break it shattered into pieces.

Think positive....at least they did not put a fork lift through it as happened so another pinsider some time ago. STI might lose some customers over this. I have never heard of them before.

#6 2 years ago

That stinks. Never, ever, ever let them leave without the game fully prepped though. I always prep them myself and have the pick up guy leave me the blankets he brought to use on the next game I ship. I keep a few rolls of wrap, corner protectors, some foam, and about 6 blankets on hand at all times to prep for shipping.

#7 2 years ago

My first reaction was also that the PDI glass broke up like that.
Suits that your game ended up like that

Added over 2 years ago: Suits?! Sucks! I meant sucks!

#8 2 years ago

I always prep the game myself. I use 4 blankets, corner protectors, cardboard sheets, and tons of high grade pallet wrap. I do not trust them. I have see the way they wrap stuff and it is not up to par.

#9 2 years ago

PDI does not break like that - this is not PDI

Source: was dumb enough to break a sheet during cleaning

#10 2 years ago

I really wish people would learn not to ship games on legs, especially a game of this caliber. Just a terrible idea all around for so many reasons. Very sorry this happened to you, but hopefully it's just the glass. That glass scares me though...why is it not tempered??

#11 2 years ago

I just went round and round with them 2 weeks ago. supposed to deliver on a certain day, showed up a day early, I was out of town they called me and I told them to stick with the next day that id be home. next day (day supposed to be delivered) they didn't even put it on the truck to deliver it after I talked to shipping rep and told them the night before! got a bunch of clowns running that company!

#12 2 years ago

Bummer, I hope they make it right for you. I just got one delivered Tuesday from Beltmann, and it arrived DOA. A little love, and three hours later, and she's good as new. Just took a little love and some re-wiring.

Mine was also shipped with the legs on, which seemed fine, and others have said this is the preferred way to ship a used game. It seems better to me to be on legs, than to be sitting on the cabinet.

Any other damage other than the broken glass?

#13 2 years ago

I'm not trying to make excuses for STI but that's plate glass. Does not surprise me at all that it broke. Hopefully that's all that was damaged. Fingers crossed for you.

#14 2 years ago

Im not sure if it was pdi, it came with the machine and was told it was, but it is definetely non glare.

#15 2 years ago

I would never ship a game like this unless putting it inside a full plywood crate or have insurance on it to cover 100% of the replacement costs, only takes one guy having a bad day on the dock to completely destroy a machine like this in a matter of seconds.

#16 2 years ago
#17 2 years ago
Quoted from slvrballer:

I would never ship a game like this unless putting it inside a full plywood crate or have insurance on it to cover 100% of the replacement costs, only takes one guy having a bad day on the dock to completely destroy a machine like this in a matter of seconds.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-create-the-ultimate-palette

#18 2 years ago

1) that's definitely not tempered glass (might want to get a refund from the person that sold it to you
2) while bad this is not destroyed. I was expecting fork lift holes in the cabinet with a torn down head
3) still sucks....

#19 2 years ago

Im not really sure of the extent of the damages, the pinsider who bought this might be able to shed some light.

#20 2 years ago

That sucks. I always ship machines...even ones I'm sending to HEP for restoration, wrapped in shrink wrap with cardboard in all corners and edges. Then STI puts their blankets and whatnot on top of that. Then, if they still manage to F it up, I've got photographic proof that they're the idiots and not me

#21 2 years ago

I am the buyer, after 3 delayed deliveries I started to get concerned. Since I had 2 other pieces of frieght that I required for business I wasn't going to be able to wait another 3 weeks to "possibly" recieve freight. I need understand a missed delivery but I'm trying to make myself available for a random frieght delivery is difficult.

What's more concerning ? 5 other units sat in the warehouse with no packing, not even cardboard under the head. I asked warehouse guy if they show up this way. He said yes. I doubt they would have bothered to remove the glass on final delivery. Glad I went. Some of the ramps are Scratched up pretty bad. Trying to get the tiny glass fragments off playfield is really hard.and sadly the painted rails have some dings. Where did the packing go?

IMG_3394 (resized).JPG

#22 2 years ago

I used to wrap my games before STI picked them up. However, they would write on the invoice "Game wrapped prior to shipping, couldn't inspect". I stopped wrapping them because if and insurance claim was filed I didn't want this to be their excuse out of paying. So I just stand there when they pick them up and watch them wrap. They always do a good job and I never have problems.

#23 2 years ago

Is that for sure PDI glass? If so it will be coming off of my games. Too dangerous not to have tempered glass on a game.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I always prep the game myself. I use 4 blankets, corner protectors, cardboard sheets, and tons of high grade pallet wrap. I do not trust them. I have see the way they wrap stuff and it is not up to par.

If you do this, insurance is useless, as condition will always be noted as "unknown", and any claims denied.

Quoted from Djshakes:

I used to wrap my games before STI picked them up. However, they would write on the invoice "Game wrapped prior to shipping, couldn't inspect". I stopped wrapping them because if and insurance claim was filed I didn't want this to be their excuse out of paying. So I just stand there when they pick them up and watch them wrap. They always do a good job and I never have problems.

This is the way to go, if you aren't satisfied with their wrapping, you can do more on your own, -after- they inspected and recorded the condition.

#25 2 years ago

I'm Not sure on PDI glass qualities. The glass shop in town told me on the odd occasion tempered glass will be "defective" and shard out. The only way to know..

A vid quote tells a similar story.

IMG_3400 (resized).PNG

#26 2 years ago

"STI destroyed my restored MM"... shouldn't this say STI destroyed my PDI glass?? Everything else looks pretty good from what I can see. It sucks for sure but I was definitely expecting to see a major mess!

#27 2 years ago

I'm about to have a game picked up by navel soon. I've never shipped or had a pin shipped.
Any advice would be great. I'm a bit scared.
RVH

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from RVH:

I'm about to have a game picked up by navel soon. I've never shipped or had a pin shipped.
Any advice would be great. I'm a bit scared.
RVH

I use them almost on a weekly basis at this point. The approach I take is when the shipper arrives, I walk them around the game and show them the condition. Ask them to notate that on their shipper docs. Then I assist and basically direct the wrapping process. Prior to their arrival, when the agent calls to arrange the pick up, I inform them they need to bring multiple blankets, corner board, shrink wrap and a pallet. I then put something down for the head to rest on the rails, shrink wrap it with blankets underneath, remove and separately wrap the legs, stand the game on the pallet, strap it to the pallet and wrap the game again. The guys picking up these games do not care about them. They are used to moving freight around and not a game that needs extra care for handling. It seems over bearing to take over the process but I have yet to have one of my games destroyed or damaged when going through this process.

#29 2 years ago

Got it,
Thanks so much!

#30 2 years ago

Crazy. That glass looks dangerous.

#31 2 years ago

Not good at all, this sucks big time for the seller but 100x worse for the buyer I hope all is okay/replaceable, what's even worse is I have a game being shipped by STI, I will admit I am a little worried now.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

If you do this, insurance is useless, as condition will always be noted as "unknown", and any claims denied.

This is the way to go, if you aren't satisfied with their wrapping, you can do more on your own, -after- they inspected and recorded the condition.

Maybe so, but I have never had a damaged shipment out of a bunch. I guess it would be better to wait for them to inspect first and then make them wait a hour while I wrap it.

#33 2 years ago

Now I want someone to test there PDI glass with a hammer (out of the machine of course)

#34 2 years ago

???
37a2de6fca346791bca1eba4abd54f83--wot-in-tarnation-what-in-tarnation-meme (resized).jpg

#35 2 years ago

WTF man? That sucks...that machine was perfect. Damn.

#36 2 years ago

My dile arrived damaged this week so i refused it. Still not sure whats gonna happen but id like a dam pin lol.

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

This is 100% accurate information. Doubt it, then call Michelle and ask her exactly what is needed to be done for shipping and to guarantee isnsurance will cover damage. She will tell you to let them do all the packaging. I direct them on what needs to be done if they're not doing it right and take pictures as they go to verify how it was wrapped and the condition of how it was given in. You also go through the game condition and any imperfections are not on the bill of lading that you sign off on.

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

This^^^^^

Yes I used to wrap my games like cocoons before STI showed up, then Michelle told me that I am doing it wrong and to let them do it. They need to come and take what is called inventory, walk around machine and take notes of condition before it is wrapped. Once inventory is taken, then they can wrap it with your supervision. I always have stretch film and moving blankets ready incase they don't have any (Also double cardboard cut slightly larger than playfield glass-2 sheets placed in-between backbox and playfield). They will wrap it in stretch film and then with moving blankets and then again with stretch film, again wrap it like a cocoon. I take pictures and video prior to wrapping for documentation. I also tighten leg bolts tightly. Never had a issue with STI

If you are trusting some hourly worker to wrap your stuff without your helping it will more than likely be a half assed effort and end up being damaged in transit. I would recommend always supervising and helping suggest the proper method to wrap a game for transport.

#39 2 years ago

I'm sure they will fight you on claims regardless....
I still think the best "insurance" is your own packing. I've always built a multi-layered cocoon and strapped it tight to a pallet. The guys picking it up are always super appreciative (because they don't have to do squat), and the game has always arrived in perfect shape.

#40 2 years ago

That is not PDI glass. I have always wrapped my own games before STI shows up to pick them up. I have never had any damage on a ship and I have sent and received dozens of games. Lucky? possibly. I just know what works for me and I go with that. I did learn a couple of things. The quality of service you get from STI varies from city to city. STI here in the Denver metro has been great. I also learned through a friends debacle, that filing a claim with a shipping company for damaged freight is a waist of time! All you will get is a runaround.

#41 2 years ago

Plate glass breaks easy as shit.

Tempered glass is almost impossible to break. PDI also sands/bevels edge of their glass.

#42 2 years ago

That sucks, but I agree with everyone else. That is NOT tempered or PDI glass. Tempered glass breaks into thousands of tiny pieces, not dangerous shards like plate glass does.

Personally, I would never ship such a nicely restored game like that and rely on STI to wrap it. I've always crated them. I've been fairly lucky with stuff that has been shipped to be by STI, but I've also had my fair share of damage claims on items shipped via STI to me. Luckily, the shippers fully photo documented the pickup and their wrapping procedure which leaves a LOT to be desired. I've never had a claim denied yet.

Looks like a beautiful machine. Would love to see pictures of it pre-shipment.

#43 2 years ago

STI = sexually transmitted infection. I lost interest after the first couple of posts.

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from Andy_B:

STI = sexually transmitted infection. I lost interest after the first couple of posts.

You're prolly on the wrong website all together if thats what your looking for.......

#45 2 years ago

I've used STI many times without issue and I always wrap the game myself. STI then adds additional wrapping with more shrink wrap and blankets. Are you saying that if I wrap it, a claim for damage will be denied because they can't see everything?

#46 2 years ago

I have only shipped out 1 game but that is what the driver told me so we unwraped the game and then wrapped it back. Again I have done only 1 but the guy was very adoment that he had to see the entire game.

#47 2 years ago

Here is the PDI glass video

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I've used STI many times without issue and I always wrap the game myself. STI then adds additional wrapping with more shrink wrap and blankets. Are you saying that if I wrap it, a claim for damage will be denied because they can't see everything?

Yes, that is correct. They will mark on on the bill of lading that they couldn't inspect the condition of the item.

#49 2 years ago

You can not let the STI guys (who are not STI employees, just local moving/trucking company guys) who may not have moved a pin before say they can't wrap it or will wrap it later. They are wrong and it is lazy. I had one driver who tried doing this twice (I then wrapped it myself as he watched) and reported him to his supervisor (who confirmed he was wrong)...didnt happen again.

As for STI and legs on/off...I have shipped about 10 MMs over the years with NAVL/STI with legs on, properly wrapped, and no real damage.

That said, sorry to hear that this one was damaged. That sucks!

#50 2 years ago

Time and time again.
Sorry OP, do not take tjis personally.
NEVER EVER TRUST A SHIPPING SERVICE.
Always, and never ship a pin on Legs!!
Thats the first rule of thumb.
Second, always pallett and wrap yourself. Why trust strangers to do this?
Third, always pallett and wrap yourself.
Im at 36 ships via truck coast to coast.
Only one got damaged and that was because I trusted STI. Personally i avoid it at all costs. But business is business and sometimes you have to ship.
It usually takes me 2-3 hours to mothball a pin. Protectect playfield with foam and bubblewrap, bubble wrap head, lay down, shrink wrap. Bubble wrap body wirh legs on, shrink wrap, legs off, coin door up towards sky on pallett. Cardboard machine, shrinkwrap again. Strap to pallett.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 50.00
There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside