(Topic ID: 307733)

Steve Young's Pinball Resource

By yoshootme

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0069 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0070 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0058 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7716 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3104 (resized).jpeg
    20240310_124610 (resized).jpg
    14A731CF-A9F7-4FA8-B6AF-19EBC11EA438 (resized).jpeg
    57F674C1-B0C7-4C52-9613-5060D50F1C37 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2957 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2958 (resized).jpeg
    PBR Invoice (resized).jpg
    7C820700-2E77-41A9-BED6-057710FCE45D (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2167 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3368 (resized).jpeg
    End of Plate Switch - P-2289-1 (Pic3) (resized).jpg
    End of Plate Switch - P-2289-1 (Drawing) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stashyboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 2 years ago

Not only do I phone in my orders, but I pick them up in person, so get to hang out in the office/warehouse. He has many of the original Gottlieb machines that hot stamp caps and targets, wind coils, even rivet target faces.
    He has been short-handed lately and training a new guy so he is picking orders as well as answering your phone questions/orders.
    We should all appreciate what he does for our hobby. He is just as, if not more passionate about pinball as any of us. He has a collection of older games at his house, but rarely gets a chance to even work on them since we all keep him so busy, especially with increasing interest in EM games.

#68 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

We'd all be up schitt's creek without Steve and PBR.
    I might stop by there soon. I'm always fascinated talking with Steve. He's got something for me that I have to pick up anyway.

One of those nice Wade playfields I saw over there the other day?

2 weeks later
    #135 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I would rather pay more than get bitched at...Been in the hobby for 8 years and never ordered from Steve. Everything I have ever needed was available else where at the click of a button.

Since you look like you own solid state games, you have other options. Yes. Can he be intimidating at times? Sure, but there is a wealth of knowledge there too. Is it easier to just click on a shopping cart? Of course. Some of us know him personally, and appreciate there is much more there than just convenience.

3 weeks later
    #145 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Just visited Steve and the PBR for the first time yesterday!
    JFC, that place could not be harder to find if you tried!!
    It was awesome meeting Steve and seeing the operation in person. What a cool dude. You wouldn’t believe the level of hand-made stuff they produce. They seriously do everything in house. EVERYTHING.
    It’s hard to believe. I don’t know enough of the terminology, but they were modifying some parts on a rivet press because the part they need no longer exists. Crazy.
    I mentioned a certain spring and Steve immediately responded
    “Oh... yeah the 26739? Over here.”
    He walked down a pitch dark aisle, turned the corner, and pulled a spring out of a box in the dark. He turned the light on and it was the right one.
    Steve is truly a legend.
    To dispel rumors:
    •He will never EVER accept credit cards/PayPal/whathaveyou EVER. PERIOD. I’ve heard this mentioned a few times here and there. Not true.
    •There was suggestions that Steve was planning on retiring/winding down PBR.
    Untrue. Steve has zero plans to retire, and I didn’t pry any further but assume probably plans to be buried at his desk, next to the phone.
    •Unbelievably, Steve keeps no record or waitlist for parts requests. Everything is done by memory. He has an running tabulation in his head for parts on hand, requests per year and demand/profitability for parts that need to be made. If a part is NLA and people want it but demand doesn’t justify the cost, he will simply find a stock part that works just as well. Or you can modify it yourself!
    •I specifically asked about Stern Tombstone drop targets with no hood. The reason they are not made is because the original mold that Stern created 50 years ago was modified BY STERN to create the Hooded targets. So the original tombstone mold was heavily modified and cannot be restored to the old style. HOWEVER STEVE DID NOT RULE OUT CREATING A NEW MOLD IF DEMAND CONTINUES TO INCREASE. He said right now it’s not cost effective, the new mold would cost 7k alone. Steve wouldn’t elaborate, please don’t flood him with requests for the original tombstone, just know he said maybe, but it’s unlikely right now, he’s also so ridiculously busy he doesn’t want to take on anything like that at the moment.
    That’s pretty much everything I can think of. Steve was dismissive when I mentioned that people 3D print drop targets “they will never hold up like real injection molded plastic” which lead into the conversation of maybe getting a new mold made someday to do these targets justice.
    He’s also out of 31” and 28” legs and about to run out of 27”. With material delays it will be a long time till new ones come in.
    The Pinball Resource is awesome and you absolutely must visit at least once in your life!

Glad you enjoyed your visit and he gave you so much time! I was there the day before to pick up my order. One of his employees is still out and he was on the phone for 20 minutes before I could transact. If I need to add another part to my order, he is always happy accommodate.

3 months later
    #191 1 year ago

I have probably replaced 6-10 pop sockets the whole time I've been restoring games (14 years). I desolder them, tumble and reinstall. I also try to repair ones on the playfield with all the usual tricks.....just sayin. If it ain't broke, why replace it?

8 months later
    #221 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I love my visits to PBR just to hang out and talk to Steve. He always makes time for me. One of a kind, and irreplaceable. A true gem of a man!

Same, and his billing/accounting software looks like Windows 95! . If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

2 months later
    #287 11 months ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

Called today. Got through on first try. I was stunned.
    So I said, simple order Steve. Twelve 31 inch legs.
    He says none to be had. Laughs and says that makes it even simpler huh?
    Took the order and will ship when they come in. Five weeks.

He told me there are so many new games being built these days that the only leg manufacturer can't keep up! Hence secondary market supply issues....

2 weeks later
    #333 11 months ago
    Quoted from SteveinTexas:

Love Steve and PBR, but getting concerned that many EM common parts are out and told won’t be made again.
    I have received only one type of spring in the last half dozen or more requested. Unless you have one to send to a spring former to review you are probably out of luck getting it made.

Start hoarding parts games if you plan to stay in the EM side of the hobby. Every time I go there, he tells me another sad tale of critical parts that are not made any more. He does the best that he can.

2 weeks later
    #364 10 months ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

My experience with the drop targets at PBR is they just plain don't sell them unless you specifically ask for them. And even then, I have no idea if they even have NOS. I do know Steve doesn't want to deal with the grief of selling NOS targets that are more prone to break over the new ones he makes which are more durable. Can't blame him for taking the approach he does.
    That said, I used to know where NOS targets still existed and obtained them for all of my games when I needed them as I preferred the look of the plastic in the originals. Unfortunately, that source is not there anymore.

I believe he only sells full sets now, partly due to the hassle of unmatched targets. I got a set for a High Hand and the red ones were closer to a maroon than the originals which were bright red. It can't be helped. It's getting harder and harder to get the materials and quality on these parts. Not his fault, simply not available.

3 weeks later
    #380 9 months ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Metallik is right BUT depending on what letters they are up to now (I think there are some examples here) it could be old for some people.
    There are some accounts out there that carry a balance so I’m sure if you picked the wrong number you could see an invoice

I'm 'AT' from 2009, so AH is likely only a few years before that.

3 weeks later
    #402 9 months ago

Heard through the grapevine that Jimmy is officially retiring this weekend. This weekend would be the last time to order anything from the specials page since he maintained that area.

7 months later
    #469 48 days ago

I bet he gets back to you. He seems to be pretty dedicated.

4 weeks later
    #498 18 days ago

Quick shout out to Steve for allowing me to trace his Bowlette cabinet graphics. (He has an original in the office) Couldn't have done it without him. Happy with the results.

20240310_124610 (resized).jpg20240310_124610 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stashyboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-young-s-pinball-resourse?tu=stashyboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.