Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 532 posts
  • 176 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 38 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Gottlieb Catalog p67 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1810 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1797 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0069 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0070 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0058 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7716 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3104 (resized).jpeg
    20240310_124610 (resized).jpg
    14A731CF-A9F7-4FA8-B6AF-19EBC11EA438 (resized).jpeg
    57F674C1-B0C7-4C52-9613-5060D50F1C37 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2957 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2958 (resized).jpeg
    PBR Invoice (resized).jpg
    7C820700-2E77-41A9-BED6-057710FCE45D (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2167 (resized).jpeg
    There are 532 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 11.
    #1 2 years ago

Haven't used him in quite some time. Trying to get a flipper rebuild kit for a friend who is new to this world and can't get through for about a week. Is he still in business?

#2 2 years ago

Have you tried emailing instead of calling?

#3 2 years ago

Give him a call....best way to contact him.

#4 2 years ago

He’s still around.

Some days you might need to call once to get through other days it might be 20

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from insight75:

Give him a call....best way to contact him.

The OP is saying he can't get through...

#6 2 years ago

A similar thread last month. He's busy. Yes he's still in business. Keep calling. Or email them.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-able-to-get-through-to-pinball-resource

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The OP is saying he can't get through...

He probably assumes PBR functions like a normal business.

#8 2 years ago

Yeah bottom line is he is still in business. I know he takes some time off during the holidays so that is likely why it may be hard to get through. You should have better luck this week.

#9 2 years ago

Just email the order. Jimmy will email back a confirmation.

#10 2 years ago

Monday is his busiest day....per Steve.
    Break it on the weekend, call for parts on Monday. Try tomorrow.

#11 2 years ago

Yeah, Monday morning the busiest day for him. Keep calling. Later in the day is better, or midweek.

#12 2 years ago

Best have the part number you need at the ready.

#13 2 years ago

I always love watching noobs discover the Pinball Resource Experience.

“The phone is busy! and also steve was Curt with me!”

All part of the fun.

#14 2 years ago

I bought this on my 2nd call to Steve. Money well spent.

16418356785134745269864784010073 (resized).jpg16418356785134745269864784010073 (resized).jpg
    #15 2 years ago
    Quoted from iamdrunker:

I bought this on my 2nd call to Steve. Money well spent.
    [quoted image]

What an awesome retro look

#16 2 years ago

Steve and PBR are a national pinball treasure. If it wasn't for Steve's passion and business smarts, these parts wouldn't be available.

I usually email Jimmy with my order and provide all the important info like game title. They don't like sending out wrong parts and will work with you to ensure you are getting what you need.

Keep in mind, it never fails that once you place your order, you'll remember something else. Good idea to keep a list and let it sit for finalizing.

#17 2 years ago

I prefer to call in myself and talk with Steve. Loads of knowledge and remember to have your part numbers ready. I talked to him recently for nearly 30 minutes on his 'lunch. I felt bad holding back other purchasers , but Steve said it was nice break from the ringing if you will.

#18 2 years ago

i just got a package today from them, about to write out my old school check and mail it. I absolutely love that he follows this model, so retro, so trusting of the people in the hobby!

#19 2 years ago

I order through email. Normally Jimmy will get back with a response during the day. I've never had a problem and the package comes pretty fast. My go to for ordering pinball parts.

#20 2 years ago

I too prefer to speak with Steve, and literally tried over 120 times to get through today according to my phone, with no luck. Busier than ever. Stupid pinball Renniasance!!!

For the first time ever in 20 years I emailed my order, and got a response within a few hours so I'm all set.

#21 2 years ago

one person, one phone

Just keep trying. Its always been that way.

Greg

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

one person, one phone
    Just keep trying. Its always been that way.
    Greg

Best time around 1pm or so. At least that is what I've found. Or right at opening....

#23 2 years ago

Early December called PBR twice and got Steve on the first call both times, only time It ever happened. Just called him today took quite a while. Steve Young is the wholly Grail of Pinball parts.
    Make sure you enjoy it.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from Judoratt:

Early December called PBR twice and got Steve on the first call both times, only time It ever happened. Just called him today took quite a while. Steve Young is the wholly Grail of Pinball parts.
    Make sure you enjoy it.

Fact.

I make a mental note of every noob pinsider who bitches about steve and whines about Pinball Resource. Oh noes...he won't take a credit card! He didn't mollycoddle me and treat me like I'm a kindergartner! He asked for a part number and didn't say please! He banned me after I asked him to change where he was sending $2 worth of coil sleeves to six times!!!

You are on my list you buffoons!!

This hobby might not exist without him. When it was just a tiny collection of weirdos fixing and trading games at home back in the '70s, PBR was the single lifeline. When the industry itself was on life support, PBR was there to support and encourage a new generation of hobbyists who helped keep pinball going through the 90s and the early 21st century. Countless pinball machines - ones now being traded for ridiculous money, no doubt - were saved from landfill thanks to him.

Steve is a God to us, and PBR is our church!

#25 2 years ago

Yep, been buying parts from Steve for my EBD since the mid '80s.

#26 2 years ago

They were on break til Jan 4. Sent my order email on the 4rth and had it by the weekend. Agree with other commenters that Jimmy communicates and emails out the info promptly. Put your customer number in your email/subject to make it easier

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

I prefer to call in myself and talk with Steve. Loads of knowledge and remember to have your part numbers ready. I talked to him recently for nearly 30 minutes on his 'lunch. I felt bad holding back other purchasers , but Steve said it was nice break from the ringing if you will.

I had a similar experience. I said listen I don’t want to hold you up I’m sure your busy… He responds by saying “No this is your time now and I’m here to serve you!”

He is a %100 class act.

#28 2 years ago

I love calling Steve although I admit I'm more nervous calling him then explaining to the wife why I needed to buy a new Stern LE. I always get a part number wrong and he quickly corrects it because his brain has every Gottlieb EM part number memorized. Its completely insane!

#29 2 years ago

Steve is amazing and Does Not do this to make money but to support pinball. He does not need to work but does it to help the hobby we all love.

I had an old receipt from the 90s for a Kiss drop target set. price was 4.00 each

Fast forward to 2022 same price.

I reccomend visiting him if you get to NY. He gave my son and I a tour of PBR and was a very pleasant experience.

#30 2 years ago

If you have not been straightened out by Steve on the phone you are not into pinball. He told me to throw my fluke meter in the trash one time and proceeded to give some advise that I use regularly. Any person that won't make a couple calls for him will never know what they are missing out on.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Steve is a God to us, and PBR is our church!

AMEN!

#32 2 years ago

Just talked with Steve just before the holidays.

Me: "I would like to order some sys1 coil stops for my street level games"
    SY: "Why do you want to do that? You'll need to enlarge the holes from #8 to #10. But it's the wrong part."
    Me: "I'd like to lessen the flipper travel to make the game harder."
    SY: "Jeez you must be a lot of fun to be around."

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from radial_head:

Just talked with Steve just before the holidays.
    Me: "I would like to order some sys1 coil stops for my street level games"
    SY: "Why do you want to do that? You'll need to enlarge the holes from #8 to #10. But it's the wrong part."
    Me: "I'd like to lessen the flipper travel to make the game harder."
    SY: "Jeez you must be a lot of fun to be around."

Awesome response

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from insight75:

I always get a part number wrong and he quickly corrects it because his brain has every Gottlieb EM part number memorized. Its completely insane!

Yep, I ordered some parts from him a few months ago, and he immediately knew that one of the part numbers I had was wrong.

#35 2 years ago

Not only do I phone in my orders, but I pick them up in person, so get to hang out in the office/warehouse. He has many of the original Gottlieb machines that hot stamp caps and targets, wind coils, even rivet target faces.
    He has been short-handed lately and training a new guy so he is picking orders as well as answering your phone questions/orders.
    We should all appreciate what he does for our hobby. He is just as, if not more passionate about pinball as any of us. He has a collection of older games at his house, but rarely gets a chance to even work on them since we all keep him so busy, especially with increasing interest in EM games.

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from yoshootme:

Haven't used him in quite some time. Trying to get a flipper rebuild kit for a friend who is new to this world and can't get through for about a week. Is he still in business?

He found out you spelled Resource wrong in his business name(“Resourse”)in your post and now he won’t answer your call. ; )

All kidding aside, he always told me better to call after Tuesday. Sometimes though it is like trying to be the 7th caller on a radio show contest. Keep trying or email it in.

#37 2 years ago

I will be a sad panda when Steve retires.

#38 2 years ago

I've had an account with Steve since 2004. I am still amazed on how he will send out an order worth around 1k USD, ( bear in mind I'm in the U.K) completely on trust. I cannot think of any other organisation that would do that. A class act indeed.

#39 2 years ago

Yes, his method of "I will send parts now, you send me a personal check when you get them" is like out of the '70s or something.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #40 2 years ago

I forgot my PBR member number, now I'm scared to death to call him...

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from Seamlesswall:

I forgot my PBR member number, now I'm scared to death to call him...

You can e mail Jimmy just for your number then call Steve.

#42 2 years ago

If you're trying to email him don't spell it resourse like in your title....

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

If you're trying to email him don't spell it resourse like in your title....

Of course if you create troubles on email you get banned... I now have to call in every order. Marco getting more of my business.

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

Of course if you create troubles on email you get banned... I now have to call in every order. Marco getting more of my business.

It helps if you tell Steve the game you're working on rather than spitting out part numbers so he has an idea of what you're looking for.

I won't pay Marcos prices, unless it's something nobody else carries, which is rare. I think I've ordered from them once in the past 5 years compared to who-knows-how-many-times from PBL and PBR.

I actually made Steve laugh last time I called. I circled that day on my calendar.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

Why would you create troubles? Seems like a bad way to do business.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah, curious what that back and forth was like -

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I always think it’s funny when people announce they aren’t shopping with PBR due to some perceived slight.

Newsflash: pinball resource DOES NOT CARE. They’d rather have no customer than a difficult one.

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I always think it’s funny when people announce they aren’t shopping with PBR due to some perceived slight.
    Newsflash: pinball resource DOES NOT CARE. They’d rather have no customer than a difficult one.

PLUS, if I'm not mistaken, Marco and "others" buy and re-sell some parts from PBR so go ahead and pay more elsewhere but Steve still made the sale.

#49 2 years ago

When someone asks for payment after you've received the parts, that says something.

Yes, I too was nervous about calling Steve the first time but only due to threads like this. Imagine yourself in his shoes supporting this hobby and the numerous times he's been asked the same question over and over again.

Steve is a walking book of knowledge and it will be a sad day when he is no longer in the "hobby". My first pin was a 1957 Gottlieb Majestic purchased at the The Zoo show. Steve was more than helpful even though I didn't have the part numbers and thank god had the schematics too.

Can he be a bit short with people, yes he can. But in the end, he is a major supporter for old Gottlieb pins at this time. That's all I care about right now.

I've delt with plenty of a$$ hats in my life, Steve is not one of them.

I do miss that pin a bit, was a really nice looking game and the first Gottlieb with the roto-target. Sold it to a fellow Pinside member whos no longer active on the forum.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1957-gottlieb-majestic-up-and-running

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

Quoted from pinzrfun:

It helps if you tell Steve the game you're working on rather than spitting out part numbers so he has an idea of what you're looking for.
    I won't pay Marcos prices, unless it's something nobody else carries, which is rare. I think I've ordered from them once in the past 5 years compared to who-knows-how-many-times from PBL and PBR.
    I actually made Steve laugh last time I called. I circled that day on my calendar.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Quoted from pinzrfun:

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Quoted from Ballypin:

PLUS, if I'm not mistaken, Marco and "others" buy and re-sell some parts from PBR so go ahead and pay more elsewhere but Steve still made the sale.

oh boy here we go!!!!

(Announcer voice)
    "Ladies and Gentlemen,
    In traditional pinside fashion of every thread turning into some kind of conflict....
    Lets get ready to RUMMMMMBBBBBBLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!"

IBTL

There are 532 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-young-s-pinball-resourse?hl=pins4u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.