Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 532 posts
  • 176 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 38 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Gottlieb Catalog p67 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1810 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1797 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0069 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0070 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0058 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7716 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3104 (resized).jpeg
    20240310_124610 (resized).jpg
    14A731CF-A9F7-4FA8-B6AF-19EBC11EA438 (resized).jpeg
    57F674C1-B0C7-4C52-9613-5060D50F1C37 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2957 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2958 (resized).jpeg
    PBR Invoice (resized).jpg
    7C820700-2E77-41A9-BED6-057710FCE45D (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2167 (resized).jpeg
    There are 532 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 11.
    #351 11 months ago
    Quoted from T3quila:

I'm using now Pay Bill option from my Chase account - it sends a paper check on my behalf - I have PBR as a payee saved and I just have to change the memo with the current invoice number - works really well.

I'm doing the same. Steve turned me on to that a while back. The only check I was ever writing was to PBR. Since I went to Bill Pay, from my Chase account, I haven't written a physical check in more than a year. Saves a stamp too.

#352 11 months ago
    Quoted from Classics_Master:

I ordered parts from Steve a long time ago, I ordered new drop targets for my “cleopatra” EM, and although he did send me the five correct color drop targets, the green one had a white star burst on it instead of being plain. Had trouble convincing him he actually made a mistake. Later I placed another order a replacement green drop target for an “el dorado city of gold”, it was the correct design, but I thought they’d be the original ones to match the old ones, which are like a lime color and the new ones are a dark hunter green. Didn’t match at all, so I just went ahead and ordered an entire set so they’d all match. I just remember those situations a little frustrating, not being able to see what you were getting. But this was like 20 years ago, they may email pics now not sure? Just beware ordering Gottlieb drop targets

These are all reproduced so matching the colors from 30-50 years ago is never going to happen. There are some 'swirl' colors too for posts and other plastic bumpers on older EM's and those cant be done either. Not sure if it's the tooling of the manufacturer who doesn't have the ability. Either way Im super grateful for SY, he's an asset and I truly hope he is grooming someone in the wings. If he and TPR goes, we are all in deep crap!!

#353 11 months ago

I ordered parts from Steve a long time ago, I ordered new drop targets for my “cleopatra” EM, and although he did send me the five correct color drop targets, the green one had a white star burst on it instead of being plain. Had trouble convincing him he actually made a mistake. Later I placed another order a replacement green drop target for an “el dorado city of gold”, it was the correct design, but I thought they’d be the original ones to match the old ones, which are like a lime color and the new ones are a dark hunter green. Didn’t match at all, so I just went ahead and ordered an entire set so they’d all match. I just remember those situations a little frustrating, not being able to see what you were getting. But this was like 20 years ago, they may email pics now not sure? Just beware ordering Gottlieb drop targets

Steve doesn’t pick the orders, there’s a team of at least 5 people who pull orders and do tasks at PBR. There’s an initial in the top right corner that indicates who it is.

I always check quantities, because that SHOULD be standard procedure for shipping and receiving. Be have too much trust, mistakes happen! Once I was shorted 2 white circle target faces and given 3 extra yellows. I called Steve on my next order, explained what happened and he simply included the 2 whites and told me to keep the yellow. And one time I simply received extra star posts and informed Steve for inventory purposes and he again said don’t worry about it. So it happens, albeit only twice in 7 years for me.

#354 11 months ago

Every time I’ve had an order be wrong, they immediately correct it error, no questions asked.

#355 11 months ago
    Quoted from ibis:

There are some 'swirl' colors too for posts and other plastic bumpers on older EM's and those cant be done either. Not sure if it's the tooling of the manufacturer who doesn't have the ability.

Years ago, Foremost Plastics (the original manufacturer) did a seminar at Pinball Expo and explained that the chemistry of colored plastics has changed a lot since the days of the marble-swirl coloring effect, and they can't go back.
    .................David Marston

#356 11 months ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

Years ago, Foremost Plastics (the original manufacturer) did a seminar at Pinball Expo and explained that the chemistry of colored plastics has changed a lot since the days of the marble-swirl coloring effect, and they can't go back.

Can't, or won't?

#358 11 months ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

Can't, or won't?

Probably "can't" in the sense that their suppliers would not sell them the allegedly-inferior materials that they used in the 1940s. That was the sense I got, anyway. It's possible that the chemicals were more dangerous, too, as EJS suggests, but I don't recall that being mentioned.

#359 11 months ago
    Quoted from EJS:

[quoted image]

Just like in the Asphalt business. Remember when roads stayed black longer. Nowadays it's a few months.

Back to topic. Another order from Pinball Resoure arrived. Super fast...

#360 11 months ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Steve doesn’t pick the orders, there’s a team of at least 5 people who pull orders and do tasks at PBR. There’s an initial in the top right corner that indicates who it is.
    I always check quantities, because that SHOULD be standard procedure for shipping and receiving. Be have too much trust, mistakes happen! Once I was shorted 2 white circle target faces and given 3 extra yellows. I called Steve on my next order, explained what happened and he simply included the 2 whites and told me to keep the yellow. And one time I simply received extra star posts and informed Steve for inventory purposes and he again said don’t worry about it. So it happens, albeit only twice in 7 years for me.

Yes, I wasn’t trying to be negative in my first post, I was just saying I had some bad luck with the drop targets on orders. I figured he would’ve had NOS Gottlieb drop targets for eldorado city of gold, or would’ve mentioned on the phone something like; I have two colors here new or NOS, which do you prefer? I know Mayfair has a lot of NOS parts and I’ve ordered many back glass over the years from Steve at Mayfair. I’m glad Steve Young is there with the parts, it’s great! Just a little frustrating when you’ve had bad luck with the wrong parts, no biggie, easy mistake. I never tried to get the right drop targets, wasn’t a big enough to deal to mention really. Most people that are not particular would just go with the star burst target on the cleopatra, especially if they didn’t have any targets to begin with.

#361 11 months ago

Yes, I wasn’t trying to be negative in my first post, I was just saying I had some bad luck with the drop targets on orders. I figured he would’ve had NOS Gottlieb drop targets for eldorado city of gold, or would’ve mentioned on the phone something like; I have two colors here new or NOS, which do you prefer? I know Mayfair has a lot of NOS parts and I’ve ordered many back glass over the years from Steve at Mayfair. I’m glad Steve Young is there with the parts, it’s great! Just a little frustrating when you’ve had bad luck with the wrong parts, no biggie, easy mistake. I never tried to get the right drop targets, wasn’t a big enough to deal to mention really. Most people that are not particular would just go with the star burst target on the cleopatra, especially if they didn’t have any targets to begin with.

My experience with the drop targets at PBR is they just plain don't sell them unless you specifically ask for them. And even then, I have no idea if they even have NOS. I do know Steve doesn't want to deal with the grief of selling NOS targets that are more prone to break over the new ones he makes which are more durable. Can't blame him for taking the approach he does.

That said, I used to know where NOS targets still existed and obtained them for all of my games when I needed them as I preferred the look of the plastic in the originals. Unfortunately, that source is not there anymore.

#362 11 months ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

Probably "can't" in the sense that their suppliers would not sell them the allegedly-inferior materials that they used in the 1940s. That was the sense I got, anyway. It's possible that the chemicals were more dangerous, too, as EJS suggests, but I don't recall that being mentioned.

Yeah, sort of like the wood from the 60s cabinets vs the pure garbage fom the late 70s

#363 11 months ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

Yeah, sort of like the wood from the 60s cabinets vs the pure garbage fom the late 70s

Or even worse those Bally’s from the mid 80’s with that particular board or whatever it is cabinets, and they’re super heavy

#364 11 months ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

My experience with the drop targets at PBR is they just plain don't sell them unless you specifically ask for them. And even then, I have no idea if they even have NOS. I do know Steve doesn't want to deal with the grief of selling NOS targets that are more prone to break over the new ones he makes which are more durable. Can't blame him for taking the approach he does.
    That said, I used to know where NOS targets still existed and obtained them for all of my games when I needed them as I preferred the look of the plastic in the originals. Unfortunately, that source is not there anymore.

I believe he only sells full sets now, partly due to the hassle of unmatched targets. I got a set for a High Hand and the red ones were closer to a maroon than the originals which were bright red. It can't be helped. It's getting harder and harder to get the materials and quality on these parts. Not his fault, simply not available.

1 week later
    #365 11 months ago

Just got my first order from Lou! Thanks again! Can’t recall the last time I’ve almost filled up 2 pages.

Already picked up another game today so I need to work on another order!

#366 11 months ago

Thats a good feeling! During Covid (cough cough) I did more swaps and tear downs that I ever had done before, I guess about 14 or so games in a 24 month span. I think Steve and crew were getting sick of my checks hitting their door!

#367 11 months ago
    Quoted from ibis:

Thats a good feeling! During Covid (cough cough) I did more swaps and tear downs that I ever had done before, I guess about 14 or so games in a 24 month span. I think Steve and crew were getting sick of my checks hitting their door!

That reminds me of a couple years ago too for several months USPS always had something in the mail from either Steve or myself paying for an order. Now I have too many projects and have (tried) slowed down a bit. It’s been going well until the last few weeks. Only 3 games so far this year for me.

#368 11 months ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

I believe he only sells full sets now, partly due to the hassle of unmatched targets. I got a set for a High Hand and the red ones were closer to a maroon than the originals which were bright red. It can't be helped. It's getting harder and harder to get the materials and quality on these parts. Not his fault, simply not available.

At the risk of having the old ones break, I'm just going to touch up my High Hand targets and mylar them and hope for the best. It's not so much the colors, it's just where do I want to spend the money

#369 11 months ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

At the risk of having the old ones break, I'm just going to touch up my High Hand targets and mylar them and hope for the best. It's not so much the colors, it's just where do I want to spend the money

You’ll never guess what was in my last order

IMG_1834 (resized).jpegIMG_1834 (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #370 11 months ago

has anyone had any success with email over the past week?

#371 10 months ago
    Quoted from illawarra92:

Yupp, placed an order last wed, and got it on Saturday.

#372 10 months ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Yupp, placed an order last wed, and got it on Saturday.

Same and was happy I could work on the game over the long holiday weekend.

#373 10 months ago
    Quoted from illawarra92:

I placed one and got a reply but have been out of town. I assume it will arrive if it hasn't already

#374 10 months ago
    Quoted from illawarra92:

Monday was a US holiday so email may have been a bit backed up. I emailed on Saturday looking for a part and got a reply yesterday from Lou. Sadly, PBR doesn't have one.

I've posted in a few other threads looking for this including the "EM looking for parts" thread, so I'll post it here in the hopes someone maybe could help me. I'd try to make my own but I don't have any skills or tools (other than a dremel) to work with metal:

Bally Part #P-2289-1 "End Plate On/Off Switch". I'm restoring a 1976 EM Night Rider but this part can also be found on a bunch of other late Bally EMs and early Bally solid states.

I've tried Marco's, Action Pinball, PBL, PBR, and Planetary Pinball. All are either Out of Stock, Discontinued, or don't show any listings at all.

End of Plate Switch - P-2289-1 (Drawing) (resized).jpgEnd of Plate Switch - P-2289-1 (Drawing) (resized).jpgEnd of Plate Switch - P-2289-1 (Pic3) (resized).jpgEnd of Plate Switch - P-2289-1 (Pic3) (resized).jpg
    #375 10 months ago
    Quoted from Mathazar:

Monday was a US holiday so email may have been a bit backed up. I emailed on Saturday looking for a part and got a reply yesterday from Lou. Sadly, PBR doesn't have one.
    I've posted in a few other threads looking for this including the "EM looking for parts" thread, so I'll post it here in the hopes someone maybe could help me. I'd try to make my own but I don't have any skills or tools (other than a dremel) to work with metal:
    Bally Part #P-2289-1 "End Plate On/Off Switch". I'm restoring a 1976 EM Night Rider but this part can also be found on a bunch of other late Bally EMs and early Bally solid states.
    I've tried Marco's, Action Pinball, PBL, PBR, and Planetary Pinball. All are either Out of Stock, Discontinued, or don't show any listings at all. [quoted image][quoted image]

I make metal parts like this with 1/8” aluminum plate. Easily cuts with new wood circular blades on chopsaw. I shape closely with a scroll saw ( 40+ TPI blade) and a bench sander to smooth out in literally seconds. Drills fine and finally clean with some 220 sand paper. Make that part in less than an hour, look perfect and never corrode.

I had to remake some parts on an 50’s arcade game to replace some jerryrigged replacement parts that PBR don’t stock if ever.
    IMG_3368 (resized).jpegIMG_3368 (resized).jpeg

#376 10 months ago

Found this in the Rack A Ball I picked up a few days ago.

It was his only machine and is moving on with other things in life but the guy reminded me of myself. He enjoyed working and learning about the machine more than playing it. He took a lot of care towards it. I noticed a lot of new parts including cabinet flipper buttons, start button…knocker and bell assemblies

IMG_2167 (resized).jpegIMG_2167 (resized).jpeg
    #377 10 months ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Found this in the Rack A Ball I picked up a few days ago.
    It was his only machine and is moving on with other things in life but the guy reminded me of myself. He enjoyed working and learning about the machine more than playing it. He took a lot of care towards it. I noticed a lot of new parts including cabinet flipper buttons, start button…knocker and bell assemblies
    [quoted image]

Inherent that old customer number. That’s awesome. Just have them change the address on file and flex your early number on all the newbies.

Note: “flex” is Gen Z slang for brag, for all you old timers.

#378 10 months ago

AH### isn't old... A### would be old.

#379 10 months ago

Metallik is right BUT depending on what letters they are up to now (I think there are some examples here) it could be old for some people.

There are some accounts out there that carry a balance so I’m sure if you picked the wrong number you could see an invoice

#380 10 months ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Metallik is right BUT depending on what letters they are up to now (I think there are some examples here) it could be old for some people.
    There are some accounts out there that carry a balance so I’m sure if you picked the wrong number you could see an invoice

I'm 'AT' from 2009, so AH is likely only a few years before that.

#381 10 months ago

Funny, I never knew the letter represented how
    Long you have been a customer. Mine is EM and thought it represented Electro Mechanical.

#382 10 months ago

I’m AB… Probably 1997-1998. That’s about the time I got into it, I only had EM’s at the time. I have friends that probably have numbers in the single letter era.

#383 10 months ago

Numbering sequence doesn't make sense, mine's X9xx and I started around 2000

#384 10 months ago
    Quoted from izzy:

I’m AB… Probably 1997-1998. That’s about the time I got into it, I only had EM’s at the time. I have friends that probably have numbers in the single letter era.

AK here probably 2005 or so. It was always fun to give Steve a call to order something stupid and have him keep it real on you lol.

#385 10 months ago

A-### from 1991.

#386 10 months ago
    Quoted from atpcfiaim:A-### from 1991.

I'm an early bird digits also. A### from 1980's

#387 10 months ago

I'm QXXX and first ordered in late 90s.

Poppa, X9XX would make sense for 2000.

Izzy likely first ordered a little later than he remembers? Or perhaps PBR backfills numbers if people ragequit the phone call and he fires them as customers?

#388 10 months ago
    Quoted from metallik:

I'm QXXX and first ordered in late 90s.
    Poppa, X9XX would make sense for 2000.
    Izzy likely first ordered a little later than he remembers? Or perhaps PBR backfills numbers if people ragequit the phone call and he fires them as customers?

You are more likely to be correct than I am.

#389 10 months ago
    Quoted from cantbfrank:

Funny, I never knew the letter represented how
    Long you have been a customer. Mine is EM and thought it represented Electro Mechanical.

Pretty sure that means you were an email customer. Jimmy’s customers started far far away from Steve so they never accidentally gave someone the same number, I asked all about the customer numbers!

I’m BF from 2016, so AH seems extremely old to me!

#390 10 months ago

Proud member of the A-xxx club.

#391 10 months ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

I'm 'AT' from 2009, so AH is likely only a few years before that.

AT 2010

#392 10 months ago

I'm T-xxx and I didn't even have email when I 1st purchased.

#393 10 months ago

I'm JXXX from about 1998.

#394 10 months ago
    7C820700-2E77-41A9-BED6-057710FCE45D (resized).jpeg7C820700-2E77-41A9-BED6-057710FCE45D (resized).jpeg
    #395 10 months ago

Email is definitely working and Lou is doing a great job. I sent an email order late on Wednesday, got a confirmation from Lou early Thursday, and the box was in my mailbox on Saturday.

#396 10 months ago
    Quoted from JRC6000:

Email is definitely working and Lou is doing a great job. I sent an email order late on Wednesday, got a confirmation from Lou early Thursday, and the box was in my mailbox on Saturday.

yep, thanks, look like one of my emails didn't get through.

all good, got a reply confirming new order processed and being sent

#397 10 months ago

Steve did mention he proofs all of Lou's created orders...so faster service is had by talking directly to the man... (he is mellowing)

#398 10 months ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

(he is mellowing)

Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I don’t want him to lose that fire in his belly that keeps the business going.

#399 10 months ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

Steve did mention he proofs all of Lou's created orders...so faster service is had by talking directly to the man... (he is mellowing)

I enjoy and look forward to every conversation with Steve. Haven’t called in over a month thought about calling just to say hi, boy bet that would flip him out.

2 weeks later
    #400 10 months ago

From 1991, before the current customer number system and dot matrix printer...
    PBR Invoice (resized).jpgPBR Invoice (resized).jpg

There are 532 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-young-s-pinball-resourse/page/8?hl=flipsteen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.