Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 532 posts
  • 176 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 38 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Gottlieb Catalog p67 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1810 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1797 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0069 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0070 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0058 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7716 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3104 (resized).jpeg
    20240310_124610 (resized).jpg
    14A731CF-A9F7-4FA8-B6AF-19EBC11EA438 (resized).jpeg
    57F674C1-B0C7-4C52-9613-5060D50F1C37 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2957 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2958 (resized).jpeg
    PBR Invoice (resized).jpg
    7C820700-2E77-41A9-BED6-057710FCE45D (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2167 (resized).jpeg
    There are 532 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 11.
    #201 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I don't know. I never got an explanation for why they're out of stock.

#202 1 year ago
    Quoted from BRONX:

Even if Steve has a nice exit plan to retire, I'm sure his sidekick "Jimmy" will take over and be the new "Steve" once the real "Steve" actually retires. I think it's supply chain issues. It's not only pinball parts out of stock, alot of things are simply not in stock. Maybe this business model of massive global globalization isn't really panning out for the long term. Is it time for domestic firms to become more vertically integrated going forward?

It will be very interesting to see how the manufacturing landscape changes in the next several years.

#203 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dono:

It will be very interesting to see how the manufacturing landscape changes in the next several years.

It'll probably go into the shitter just like everything else is!

#204 1 year ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Just visited Steve and the PBR for the first time yesterday!

•I specifically asked about Stern Tombstone drop targets with no hood. The reason they are not made is because the original mold that Stern created 50 years ago was modified BY STERN to create the Hooded targets. So the original tombstone mold was heavily modified and cannot be restored to the old style. HOWEVER STEVE DID NOT RULE OUT CREATING A NEW MOLD IF DEMAND CONTINUES TO INCREASE. He said right now it’s not cost effective, the new mold would cost 7k alone. Steve wouldn’t elaborate, please don’t flood him with requests for the original tombstone, just know he said maybe, but it’s unlikely right now, he’s also so ridiculously busy he doesn’t want to take on anything like that at the moment.
    That’s pretty much everything I can think of. Steve was dismissive when I mentioned that people 3D print drop targets “they will never hold up like real injection molded plastic” which lead into the conversation of maybe getting a new mold made someday to do these targets justice.

interesting to know the history, but there are 2 types of 3d printing
    - home printing which is hollow to a degree and in layers
    - professional solid nylon laser bound particles

I agree the home printed stuff won't last but the professional printed gear is holding up well because it is solid nylon. The professional printed is better than the stuff Planetary is selling which is the hooded from PBR as is a much softer compound than original tombstones and twists easier whereas the printed ones I am doing are a little more rigid / solid and don't brick like the hooded targets.

That said injection would be ideal but not available at the moment.

Stern - Meteor - Drop Targets 2 (resized).jpgStern - Meteor - Drop Targets 2 (resized).jpgStern - Stars - Drop Targets (resized).jpgStern - Stars - Drop Targets (resized).jpgStern Tombstone Drop Targets - Batch 1 (resized).jpgStern Tombstone Drop Targets - Batch 1 (resized).jpg

4 months later
    #205 1 year ago

31 inch legs back in stock!!!!!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #206 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

31 inch legs back in stock!!!!![quoted image]

I'd love to see Jimmy's inbox right now.

Thanks for the heads up. Order placed!

#207 1 year ago

Rats! My invoice/packing slip got thrown away after I received an order from the Pinball Resource this week! I need to dig through the trash tonight and hopefully can find it!!!!

#208 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

I got my order in too! Thanks for the heads up!

#209 1 year ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

Rats! My invoice/packing slip got thrown away after I received an order from the Pinball Resource this week! I need to dig through the trash tonight and hopefully can find it!!!!

Find it!!!
    Else Steve is gonna give you a verbal spanking!!!

#210 1 year ago

Find it!!!
    Else Steve is gonna give you a verbal spanking!!!

haha. Yes, I need to avoid that. Searching will be the first thing I'm going to do when I get home from work. haha

#212 1 year ago

It wouldn’t have mattered. He has you covered. My sister and BIL ordered parts for a game I sold them 20 years ago. I told them what to order and to tell Steve I sent them. A year later I get a call from Steve about how he never got paid for their $20 order. He didn’t need the invoice then.

#213 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

But no 27” Gottliebs yet unfortunately.

2 months later
    #214 1 year ago

Great news... 27s are now in stock as well as siderail nails!!!!!

#215 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

Great news... 27s are now in stock as well as siderail nails!!!!!

Thanks I need a couple sets. I had no idea the nails were out.

3 weeks later
    #216 1 year ago

Okay... I have to jump into this conversation. I'm retired and have only been involved in EM repair and restoration for about 4 years now. It's my winter, cabin fever solution here in Wisconsin. My former employment put me in a purchasing role, on & off, for 40 years. In those 40 years of buying across the country, I would have to say that 90 percent of my problems came from the Northeast, be it NY, NJ, PA, VA, CT etc. I'm not dissing anyone but I'm just saying that business people on the East coast have a different business attitude than us midwesterners, be that good or bad... and some of that I'm sure falls back on me with my laid-back Midwest attitude.
    So it was... the first time I called and spoke with Steve (yes, surprised the owner answered the phone) that I already had some apprehensions... about our conversation.

Are you sure you need that... I haven't sold one of those in years... oh, you have a Chicago Coin... that's too bad.
    NO, you don't want that part#, you want this part#.
    NO, that part hasn't been available for years. Where can I find one?... Good luck with that.
    NO, not in stock... Well, just back order it for me then... NO, I don't do back orders, if I did I'd have to hire 5 more people to keep track of them then I'd have to raise my prices to cover the additional costs and you don't want that to happen. Just check again when you place your next order.
    NO, no credit cards. You just gave me all of your info so you have an account with us now. We'll send your parts and just send me a check when you get them.
    So, No, No, No, and I don't have patience for this today... Then he took a breath and said sorry, but this is what you need to do when you call.

First have your account number ready so I can start an order.
    Second, tell me what game or games your parts are for.
    Try to have the part numbers that you need and the quantities you want.
    Ask a question about what you need if you are in doubt. When we get your order correct, you won't have to return anything to me because neither one of us wants that problem!
    All of this was followed up with a short conversation that was enjoyable and that ended the call.

After the phone call I understood who Steve Young was. He's a great guy. He is a busy guy that wants to do the best that he can for you! He's direct and to the point, sometimes a little abrasive. He wants to keep his pricing as low as he can by doing things right the first time and still profit from his great business. He's the great resource of our pinball world.

I've spent a fair amount of money with Steve since our first conversation. The orders are shipped the following day and are at my door 2 or 3 days later. Every order has been correct on pricing and quantities. The packaging has always been very good.

Where else in this world can you get personalized service like this anymore??
    Who could set up a website with the actual millions of parts in inventory that Steve has, then maintain the site and inventory and then fulfill the individual needs of their specialized customer base? Ah, NO No, no, no one!

I love this guy and I don't know what we'd do without him.

#217 1 year ago
    Quoted from homeboy101:

Okay... I have to jump into this conversation. I'm retired and have only been involved in EM repair and restoration for about 4 years now. It's my winter, cabin fever solution here in Wisconsin. My former employment put me in a purchasing role, on & off, for 40 years. In those 40 years of buying across the country, I would have to say that 90 percent of my problems came from the Northeast, be it NY, NJ, PA, VA, CT etc. I'm not dissing anyone but I'm just saying that business people on the East coast have a different business attitude than us midwesterners, be that good or bad... and some of that I'm sure falls back on me with my laid-back Midwest attitude.
    So it was... the first time I called and spoke with Steve (yes, surprised the owner answered the phone) that I already had some apprehensions... about our conversation.
    Are you sure you need that... I haven't sold one of those in years... oh, you have a Chicago Coin... that's too bad.
    NO, you don't want that part#, you want this part#.
    NO, that part hasn't been available for years. Where can I find one?... Good luck with that.
    NO, not in stock... Well, just back order it for me then... NO, I don't do back orders, if I did I'd have to hire 5 more people to keep track of them then I'd have to raise my prices to cover the additional costs and you don't want that to happen. Just check again when you place your next order.
    NO, no credit cards. You just gave me all of your info so you have an account with us now. We'll send your parts and just send me a check when you get them.
    So, No, No, No, and I don't have patience for this today... Then he took a breath and said sorry, but this is what you need to do when you call.
    First have your account number ready so I can start an order.
    Second, tell me what game or games your parts are for.
    Try to have the part numbers that you need and the quantities you want.
    Ask a question about what you need if you are in doubt. When we get your order correct, you won't have to return anything to me because neither one of us wants that problem!
    All of this was followed up with a short conversation that was enjoyable and that ended the call.
    After the phone call I understood who Steve Young was. He's a great guy. He is a busy guy that wants to do the best that he can for you! He's direct and to the point, sometimes a little abrasive. He wants to keep his pricing as low as he can by doing things right the first time and still profit from his great business. He's the great resource of our pinball world.
    I've spent a fair amount of money with Steve since our first conversation. The orders are shipped the following day and are at my door 2 or 3 days later. Every order has been correct on pricing and quantities. The packaging has always been very good.
    Where else in this world can you get personalized service like this anymore??
    Who could set up a website with the actual millions of parts in inventory that Steve has, then maintain the site and inventory and then fulfill the individual needs of their specialized customer base? Ah, NO No, no, no one!
    I love this guy and I don't know what we'd do without him.

Yeah....what he said!

#218 1 year ago

Yep, he's a no nonsense type of a guy. To the point. He also knows what he's doing. I like that his system has me looking for all the parts i need with part numbers. This way Im confident Im getting what I need/want. With the pattens he's in control of, makes him a very busy guy. I respect that hes trying to keep cost down and/or maximizing his profit in a time where everything has gone up sky high in price. Once you have your account setup and pay for your first order, you are Golden. I usually just email my list of parts for order. In doing so, I still follow the guideline. 1) account number and name 2)game(s) you are buying for 3)part numbers and quantities. 4) address 5) questions.

Im so thankful for Pinball Resource and the gruff Steve Young.

#219 1 year ago

PBR and Steve are great.

His website needs updating. I believe it is from Netscape Navigator days.

#220 1 year ago

I love my visits to PBR just to hang out and talk to Steve. He always makes time for me. One of a kind, and irreplaceable. A true gem of a man!

#221 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I love my visits to PBR just to hang out and talk to Steve. He always makes time for me. One of a kind, and irreplaceable. A true gem of a man!

Same, and his billing/accounting software looks like Windows 95! . If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

#222 1 year ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

Same, and his billing/accounting software looks like Windows 95! . If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Still has a CRT monitor in his office if I recall or did he get a flat screen now?

#223 1 year ago

That web site won’t ever be updated. He sees that time better spent rebuilding motors.

#224 1 year ago

Steve is a legend. We are all indebted to him for the amazing work he does to preserve pinball. PBL and Marco would be crippled if Steve closed up shop.

It is the most amusing when I give him part numbers and he says “I haven’t sold that in years!? Are you sure??” And it actually is the part I need. It is pretty cool to surprise a guy who’s seen it all.

#225 1 year ago

Steve is a legend. We are all indebted to him for the amazing work he does to preserve pinball. PBL and Marco would be crippled if Steve closed up shop.

...and it's coming. The scary thing is I'm not sure if anybody is going to buy him out and carry on with the business...and it'll be a tough act to follow to run it as well as he did.

#226 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

...and it's coming. The scary thing is I'm not sure if anybody is going to buy him out and carry on with the business...and it'll be a tough act to follow to run it as well as he did.

Mostly cause 80% of it is ran in his head. He’s basically a parts catalog on steroids. People buying him out is one thing….getting him to sell is another. I don’t see him doing that. I’m sure he’ll work until he physically can’t anymore.

#227 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm not sure if anybody is going to buy him out and carry on with the business..

That is sadly true of every parts dealer.

LTG : (

#228 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Mostly cause 80% of it is ran in his head. He’s basically a parts catalog on steroids. People buying him out is one thing….getting him to sell is another. I don’t see him doing that. I’m sure he’ll work until he physically can’t anymore.

I once asked Steve if he ever considered taking a vacation, because it seems like he lives at PBR. He told me he can’t, because *points to his head* the entire operation is up here.

All of his accounting paperwork is still done by hand...

I love PBR, and yet understand it is complete and utter madness.

#229 1 year ago

I’ll just say that after running RPM for five years, I am beginning to understand exactly where Tim Arnold and Steve Young are coming from.

It all just sort of takes over. Every day stretches into the next… parts, fixes, pinball conversations, buying and selling, parts, fixes, problems, solutions… parts, fixes…

But it’s a pretty cool way to go.

#230 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Jimmy is his son if I'm not mistaken, who is pretty sharp himself.

I almost exclusively deal with him via e-mail ordering.

#231 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Same. Hopefully he’s interested in continuing the business eventually.

#232 1 year ago

Funny thing is all of the newbs who don't even know what a check book is, they bash the way Steve runs his business and always say " screw him, I'll just buy from Marco & PBL" not realizing Steve supplies them the parts. If any of them actually think that Marco is making their own coils, I have a bridge I want to sell you.

#233 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

The master has no children.

#234 1 year ago
    Quoted from gjm:

Funny thing is all of the newbs who don't even know what a check book is, they bash the way Steve runs his business and always say " screw him, I'll just buy from Marco & PBL" not realizing Steve supplies them the parts. If any of them actually think that Marco is making their own coils, I have a bridge I want to sell you.

I had to order a part once from Marco, but their online ordering was broken for this specific item so I ended up ordering on the phone.

The woman I talked to was very nice and wanted to know what Marco could do to get all of my business.
    Me- “Can you beat PBRs price on this item?”

Marco Rep- “actually we get that part from PBR, so no”

Me- “what about this item?”

Marco Rep- “we also get that from PBR”

It went on for like 6 items. It was pretty funny. PBR is a valuable resource to the community. My theory is that Steve Young keeps the lights on supplying to all his competitors wholesale and doesn’t really need the retail side, but does it since he loves the hobby.

#235 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Same. Hopefully he’s interested in continuing the business eventually.

Jimmy is nearly Steve’s age, there are no young people in pinball!

#236 1 year ago

If Steve ever decides to get out of the business, there will be an absolute pinball parts famine! In some cases, he is the sole source for parts!

#237 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mundy53:

My theory is that Steve Young keeps the lights on supplying to all his competitors wholesale

Not so certain about him supplying at wholesale. Doesn't need to.

#238 1 year ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

Not so certain about him supplying at wholesale. Doesn't need to.

I don’t mean wholesale pricing, I mean he supplies wholesale volumes of reproduction items to his competitors.

#239 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mundy53:

I don’t mean wholesale pricing, I mean he supplies wholesale volumes of reproduction items to his competitors.

To some of them, Terry from PBL stated he gets a single item from PBR. He does supply others though.

1 month later
    #240 1 year ago

The website is still down. :/ :/ :/ Oh no oh no oh no can't ever go down!

#241 1 year ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

The website is still down. :/ :/ :/ Oh no oh no oh no can't ever go down!

Last I heard, Jimmy was working on it.

#242 1 year ago

Aww. My El Dorado needs new rubber bands for the flippers. One broke last night.

3 weeks later
    #243 1 year ago

I emailed my order in today and got this auto responder. I called and got a busy signal. *sigh*

==================
    Hi:

Thank you for contacting The Pinball Resource.

We are open and accepting orders via the Telephone Monday-Friday 10:00AM-5:00PM EST.

At this time we are Not offering Email Support/Ordering,
    please call in your order/inquiry (845) 473-7114.

For those wondering: I have been doing Email support for The Pinball Resource for almost 20 years now.
    At this time, I will be moving on, taking on new responsibilities and working on some Special
    pinball projects at The Pinball Resource.

It's been my pleasure corresponding with all of you for the last 20 years.

Enjoy your games and Thank You for your support.

Jimmy
    The Pinball Resource
    8 Commerce Street Stop 2
    Poughkeepsie, NY 12603-6718
    (845) 473-7114 - Voice

PS: Be sure to checkout our Spring Cleaning Specials
    ==================

#244 1 year ago

That’s not good.

#245 1 year ago

Awe man. I have to go back to talking on the phone again? Honestly I've never had a negative experience with Steve. He's always been cool, I'm just a bit of an introvert.

#246 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballshark:

taking on new responsibilities and working on some Special
    pinball projects at The Pinball Resource.

I like the sound of this though. Maybe online orders will be here after all.

I wouldn’t hold my breath on it.

#247 1 year ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Awe man. I have to go back to talking on the phone again? Honestly I've never had a negative experience with Steve. He's always been cool, I'm just a bit of an introvert.

I just just found it convenient. I look up the model numbers of the parts i want anyways and write it down quantities, thinking i was helping PBR out. Also I didint have to wait for business hours. I could put an order together at 2am and send it off. Being west coast makes a difference. Oh well.

#248 1 year ago

Just way convenient to emal Jimmy a list any time of the day and reserve calls for when a part is not on the website or Steve can offer advice. It's pretty easy to order from Steve too but rarely not without first geting past lots of busy signals.

#249 1 year ago

Hopefully they get someone else to take over the email portion and perhaps Jimmy is moving a little more into Steve's roll? Steve wont be there forever unfortunately.

John

#250 1 year ago

Easy to tell how long your in the pinball community by your PBR customer number. Mine is the low B600's. I have a couple of close friend in the A100-200's #

There are 532 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-young-s-pinball-resourse/page/5?hl=peruman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.