Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 532 posts
  • 176 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 38 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Gottlieb Catalog p67 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1810 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1797 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0069 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0070 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0058 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7716 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3104 (resized).jpeg
    20240310_124610 (resized).jpg
    14A731CF-A9F7-4FA8-B6AF-19EBC11EA438 (resized).jpeg
    57F674C1-B0C7-4C52-9613-5060D50F1C37 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2957 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2958 (resized).jpeg
    PBR Invoice (resized).jpg
    7C820700-2E77-41A9-BED6-057710FCE45D (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2167 (resized).jpeg
    There are 532 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 11.
    #151 2 years ago

What's funny if I take all the checks I've written in a year the number of PBR checks written surpass all other checks combined from my business account. Pretty cool he does things old school.

Additionally,

I visited steve with my son last fall. Great time.and neat to see his operation. He took the phone off the hook and gave us a non rushed all questions answered tour. This was on a Monday.
    It was nice meeting with Steve again (been since late 90,s) at expo.
    To visit that operation was crossing off an item on my bucket list.

#152 2 years ago

“He took the phone off the hook and gave us a non rushed all questions answered tour.”

No wonder why I couldn’t get thru on the phone!

#153 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

What's funny if I take all the checks I've written in a year the number of PBR checks written surpass all other checks combined from my business account. Pretty cool he does things old school.
    Additionally,
    I visited steve with my son last fall. Great time.and neat to see his operation. He took the phone off the hook and gave us a non rushed all questions answered tour. This was on a Monday.

Hey, I needed parts that Monday!! I’m sending you an invoice in the mail for lost time and anguish!
    Please send check or money order and be sure to reference the invoice number

#154 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Additionally,

Called Steve about three weeks ago got him on the first call. After finishing the order I mentioned that my oldest daughter had just moved back to New York and I would love to find an excuse to visit PBR. At this point Steve very quickly mentioned that he works hard to keep the place hard to find and just doesn’t have time or desire to be a tour guide. And that question was quickly answered in Steve Young style.

#155 2 years ago

He would have been more accomodating with a correct part # for that tour.

#156 2 years ago
    Quoted from Judoratt:

desire to be a tour guide

Clearly; you aren't as important as these other guys.
    Or you don't spend enough money...
    Or he was in a more onrwy mood than usual.

#157 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Clearly; you aren't as important as these other guys.
    Or you don't spend enough money...
    Or he was in a more onrwy mood than usual.

Yes clearly

#158 2 years ago

Get on Jimmy’s good side and you’ll be just fine.

#159 2 years ago

We really appreciate steve and it shows.

16460009889175742620800823509552 (resized).jpg16460009889175742620800823509552 (resized).jpg
    #160 2 years ago

I'd personally blur that return address... because... well you know.

#161 2 years ago

Yes who's this new "Jimmy" guy that deals with emails?

#162 2 years ago
    Quoted from BRONX:

The good cop.

#163 2 years ago
    Quoted from BRONX:

Wayne Neyen's brother

#164 2 years ago

Ok..... I guess this " Jimmy" lad is in charge of internet sales & Steve is the live phone guy.... hopefully one day they take credit cards? Whats with the deal with no PayPal? How do they get into order or Canadian orders?

#165 2 years ago

I mean intl orders or Canadian orders with no PayPal, visa, checks??? Poor Jimmy

#166 2 years ago

Im going to.start a new board on pinball resource I'm curious?

#168 2 years ago
    Quoted from BRONX:Im going to.start a new board on pinball resource I'm curious?

Great idea. That should go over like a fart in church. Congrats.

#169 2 years ago

I don't blame them. I use To sell on eBay, and between eBay fees + PayPal they are the ones who at my profits. From what I have been hearing Visa & Amex fees are still going up with no end in sight. Steve and Jimmy are doing the right thing!!! Keeping these pimps off there bottom lines. Screw visa, PayPal and these pimps

#170 2 years ago
    Quoted from Fordiesel69:

Why do you need to run to get a money order? Does he no longer accept checks?

He accepts checks. I don’t use them due to a fraud issue I had to deal with.

#171 2 years ago
    Quoted from BRONX:

Ok..... I guess this " Jimmy" lad is in charge of internet sales & Steve is the live phone guy.... hopefully one day they take credit cards? Whats with the deal with no PayPal? How do they get into order or Canadian orders?

In Canada, you send PBR a bank draft in US funds. I have had no issues with PBR. They are always very helpful both on the phone or through email.

#172 2 years ago
    Quoted from Fordiesel69:

Why do you need to run to get a money order? Does he no longer accept checks?

I sent him a check last week. Do you know if he accepts traveler's checks? Do you know where to get a traveler's check? I'm middle aged and spent some time in Japan as an exchange student for high school in 1997. That was the only time in my life I used a travelers check.

#173 2 years ago
    Quoted from duckkillerclyde:

Do you know if he accepts traveler's checks?

Traveler's checks are designed only to be used for in-person transactions, not sent through the mail.
    .................David Marston

#174 2 years ago

You want to send a check to PBR?

Most people send an electronic check from their bank account. No big deal, quick as a credit card payment from your phone.

2 months later
    #175 1 year ago

Email ordering is currently down. Got the automated response.

"Hi:

Thank You for contacting The Pinball Resource.

We are OPEN for Business and accepting orders via the Phone (845) 473-7114.

We are not accepting any Emails at this time.
    If you received this automatic reply, your Email/order has been archived and will Not be
    read/replied to/or filled! Please call us to place your order (845) 473-7114, ask for Steve.

Enjoy your games"

I called and got a busy signal for about 10 minutes then got through to Steve and placed a 23 line item order in under 5 minutes. No problem at all and Steve was courteous and polite.

Thank you Pinball Resource!

#176 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballshark:

"Hi:
    If you received this automatic reply, your Email/order has been archived and will Not be
    read/replied to/or filled! Please call us to place your order (845) 473-7114, ask for Steve.
    Enjoy your games"
    I called and got a busy signal for about 10 minutes then got through to Steve and placed a 23 line item order in under 5 minutes. No problem at all and Steve was courteous and polite.

I got that too this weekend I think the e mail response is just Jimmys vacation notice. Well deserved

#177 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballshark:

"Hi:
    Enjoy your games"

Holiday weekend coming up...

#178 1 year ago

I ordered mid morning Monday, got my order in Dallas today... things are working at the Post office currently

#180 1 year ago

I ordered Wednesday morning and got mine an hour ago.

#181 1 year ago

PBR seems to be out of stock of a lot stuff. What do you think?........Supply chain?............ can't hire good help, or is Steve winding down into retirement?

#182 1 year ago

I think Steve had mentioned to me that supply chain issues, and new, higher minimum orders are creating problems. For example, for lamp sockets, the minimum order increased to 100,000. Kind of hard to justify quantities of that size.

#183 1 year ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

I think Steve had mentioned to me that supply chain issues, and new, higher minimum orders are creating problems. For example, for lamp sockets, the minimum order increased to 100,000. Kind of hard to justify quantities of that size.

I just now realized you were saying that PBR had to take 100,000 lamp sockets in an order.

For a second I was wondering how any pinhead could ever need 100,000 lamp sockets.

Density is my forte sometimes.

#184 1 year ago

Talked with Steve Thursday and he mentioned supply chain problems on a lot of things.

#185 1 year ago

Pop bumper lamp sockets. I wanted 40 in my last 2 orders and still no stock. Deep sigh....

#186 1 year ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

I too have talked to Steve and this is very accurate!! Just doesn’t financially make sense to order so many knowing what you’ll sell and how long it will take!!

There are going to be parts that dry up. Supply chain issues for sure but also minimum quantities for reorder that have gotten out of hand.

None of the above has anything to do with Steve retiring. It is just Steve being a good business person. I do firmly believe that the days of being able to buy a machine that may be desirable from a collectors standpoint but in basket case condition and be assured that you can get all needed parts to restore May be coming to an end.

#187 1 year ago
    Quoted from GPS:

I too have talked to Steve and this is very accurate!! Just doesn’t financially make sense to order so many knowing what you’ll sell and how long it will take!!
    There are going to be parts that dry up. Supply chain issues for sure but also minimum quantities for reorder that have gotten out of hand.
    None of the above has anything to do with Steve retiring. It is just Steve being a good business person. I do firmly believe that the days of being able to buy a machine that may be desirable from a collectors standpoint but in basket case condition and be assured that you can get all needed parts to restore May be coming to an end.

I see the same thing in the work that I do repairing vintage guitar amps and hifi. Parts that were readily available a few years ago are gone.

I had hopes that the light socket and leg shortage would end at some point, but it doesn’t sound good. What’s next, rubber rings?

#188 1 year ago

Mayfair also didn't have any pop bumper lamp sockets the last time I checked.

#189 1 year ago

Pop bumper lamp sockets?

4348BFA2-F0A3-4F24-A776-B33BA1800BB9 (resized).jpeg4348BFA2-F0A3-4F24-A776-B33BA1800BB9 (resized).jpeg
    #190 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Pop bumper lamp sockets?
    [quoted image]

Original EM ones (#131). I got a few I needed from another parts guy at York last fall, but I believe he's out of them as well.

#191 1 year ago

I have probably replaced 6-10 pop sockets the whole time I've been restoring games (14 years). I desolder them, tumble and reinstall. I also try to repair ones on the playfield with all the usual tricks.....just sayin. If it ain't broke, why replace it?

#192 1 year ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

I have probably replaced 6-10 pop sockets the whole time I've been restoring games (14 years). I desolder them, tumble and reinstall. I also try to repair ones on the playfield with all the usual tricks.....just sayin. If it ain't broke, why replace it?

Yeah, no argument with that but I just like ( liked) to fit new ones to avoid hassle with intermittent lamp issues, etc down the line. But today, looks like I'll have to start repairing them, just as I am nowadays with playfield lamp sockets as I'm finding some sizes difficult to source as well. You wait, there will be a solder shortage next

#193 1 year ago
    Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

I see the same thing in the work that I do repairing vintage guitar amps and hifi. Parts that were readily available a few years ago are gone

Tell me about it. I had my 1980s Naim hi-fi amps overhauled recently and the work took ages due to a shortage of the correct Capacitors, their being almost unobtainable. Cost me a fair few quid extra too! ( Quid = 1 GBP or around 1.25 USD)

#194 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vintage-Pinball:

(Quid = 1 GBP or around 1.25 USD)

I will give you a Guinea for your Quid.

#195 1 year ago

i have tried and tried to ring him from australia,he allways seems to be engaged?emails are never answered , is it just me?

#196 1 year ago
    Quoted from sparkaruss:

i have tried and tried to ring him from australia,he allways seems to be engaged?emails are never answered , is it just me?

If you e mail make sure you don’t get an auto response. He doesn’t have voicemail. Keep trying.

#197 1 year ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

I think Steve had mentioned to me that supply chain issues, and new, higher minimum orders are creating problems. For example, for lamp sockets, the minimum order increased to 100,000

If I'm correct, the company that fabricated Steve's pop bumper sockets closed up, and the dyes we're lost in the process. (or something like that, it's been a while since he told me the reason). JR?

#198 1 year ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

If I'm correct, the company that fabricated Steve's pop bumper sockets closed up, and the dyes we're lost in the process. (or something like that, it's been a while since he told me the reason). JR?

I don't know. I never got an explanation for why they're out of stock.

#199 1 year ago

Even if Steve has a nice exit plan to retire, I'm sure his sidekick "Jimmy" will take over and be the new "Steve" once the real "Steve" actually retires. I think it's supply chain issues. It's not only pinball parts out of stock, alot of things are simply not in stock. Maybe this business model of massive global globalization isn't really panning out for the long term. Is it time for domestic firms to become more vertically integrated going forward?

#200 1 year ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Just visited Steve and the PBR for the first time yesterday!
    To dispel rumors:
    •I specifically asked about Stern Tombstone drop targets with no hood. The reason they are not made is because the original mold that Stern created 50 years ago was modified BY STERN to create the Hooded targets. So the original tombstone mold was heavily modified and cannot be restored to the old style. HOWEVER STEVE DID NOT RULE OUT CREATING A NEW MOLD IF DEMAND CONTINUES TO INCREASE. He said right now it’s not cost effective, the new mold would cost 7k alone. Steve wouldn’t elaborate, please don’t flood him with requests for the original tombstone, just know he said maybe, but it’s unlikely right now, he’s also so ridiculously busy he doesn’t want to take on anything like that at the moment.

My solution: Buy blank tombstones and decal them. Extra bonus: Ink doesn't come off.

There are 532 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-young-s-pinball-resourse/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.