(Topic ID: 310956)

Steve Young P.B.R $$$$

By BRONX

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2F76FF11-07F2-4E62-A9E3-B83D2C957ADB (resized).jpeg
    17E607F8-1227-405B-B73B-AFAF65AAA835 (resized).png
    A381FCC8-03AF-4F62-ADF6-3B5CDD6BF0AE (resized).jpeg
    14D916AC-4327-47F2-A61B-12F79A4A16AF (resized).jpeg
    8D1ED8BF-695A-4DD8-8DAA-23F26EEB1A6E (resized).jpeg
    E8B5F6E7-ED9E-4D2E-8BE0-99F6326EB40C (resized).jpeg
    4637D79F-41FB-44E7-A997-041FFAF76655 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20220301_142226 (resized).jpg
    sdfsdffdssdf (resized).png
    gdgdfdgd (resized).png
    giphy (5).gif
    Screenshot_2022-02-28-15-45-36-550 (resized).jpg
    gif.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20220228_172453 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220228_230013 (resized).jpg
    There are 222 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’ve met steve several times he used to go to Allentown every year.
    Those days are long past. It wasn’t worth the effort for him to haul all of stuff there.
    There’s some footage here, on my old public access cable show, of Steve, about 14 minutes in.
    You’ll see how steve behaves like such an ogre!!! He’s truly a monster:

So, I just noticed a strange resemblance, are Steve Young and Fred Young related?

#202 2 years ago

Perhaps Neil Young aswell???

#203 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’ve met steve several times he used to go to Allentown every year.
    Those days are long past. It wasn’t worth the effort for him to haul all of stuff there.
    There’s some footage here, on my old public access cable show, of Steve, about 14 minutes in.
    You’ll see how steve behaves like such an ogre!!! He’s truly a monster:

There's some time-capsule gold in that video!

#204 2 years ago
    Quoted from BRONX:

I tried calling a few days ago, can't get through?
    So, if Steve is stubborn & I'm hot tempered, so I try to call again tomorrow?
    Yes no. Maybe

Getting through on attempt one is exceedingly rare for me. Most times I order it's a case of every hour or so remembering "Oh yeah - PBR order" and trying again. Eventually the phone rings instead of getting a busy signal. (Which is quaint to hear in 2022 in and of itself.)

I actually seem to have the best luck trying towards the end of business hours. I've gotten through before late enough in the day that a call has taken us past his closing time. Thanked Steve for answering so late and gotten the "Well if I didn't want to talk I wouldn't have answered" line.

#205 2 years ago

Seems like Steves business is pretty busy, I wonder if he would consider hiring me to help out? That way every call gets answered, every ordered gets picked faster and everyone is happy. Seems like Steve & Jimmy are swamped

#206 2 years ago
    Quoted from Beatnik-Filmstar:

Getting through on attempt one is exceedingly rare for me. Most times I order it's a case of every hour or so remembering "Oh yeah - PBR order" and trying again. Eventually the phone rings instead of getting a busy signal. (Which is quaint to hear in 2022 in and of itself.)
    I actually seem to have the best luck trying towards the end of business hours. I've gotten through before late enough in the day that a call has taken us past his closing time. Thanked Steve for answering so late and gotten the "Well if I didn't want to talk I wouldn't have answered" line.

And it is actually nice to just hear the unanswered phone ring as opposed to listening to some BS recording saying, " We are experiencing heavy call volume. Your call is very important to us. We'll be with you shortly". And then you are tortured with having to listen to some crap music while you wait. And wait. And wait.

#207 2 years ago
    Quoted from BRONX:

Seems like Steves business is pretty busy, I wonder if he would consider hiring me to help out? That way every call gets answered, every ordered gets picked faster and everyone is happy. Seems like Steve & Jimmy are swamped

Everyone is already happy.

#208 2 years ago
    Quoted from BRONX:Seems like Steves business is pretty busy, I wonder if he would consider hiring me to help out? That way every call gets answered, every ordered gets picked faster and everyone is happy. Seems like Steve & Jimmy are swamped

Quoted from Mike_J:

Everyone is already happy.

Seriously. Find a problem that needs fixing…

#209 2 years ago
    Quoted from thekiyote:

Oh man, I love Hamilton! We have family up there and are looking forward to visiting again now that the boarders have opened up!
    To go back to your original question, though, cash in the mail, can you do it? Yes. Should you do it? Probably not. It's a gamble, if it gets lost, you lose the money and the post office isn't necessarily known for its reliability. If you're sending $5, maybe the cost of getting a check or money order cut isn't worth it, but it doesn't take much more to tip the scales.

See, if it was just that venmo quote, I'd be like, "Okay, boomer", but with the whole trailer, it's hilarious. Perfect example of context matters, exactly like it does with Steve. He's great.
    Too bad that photo is 100% shopped...

Type “Daniel Danger one dollar for truck” into a search engine.
    The whole story of Daniels concept is hilarious !
    All 16 or 18 specifics noted in the write up align 1000% with how Steve does business.

NO I DON’T KNOW WHERE A BATHROOM IS!
    on the other side of the trailer is comedy gold

#210 2 years ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

Seriously. Find a problem that needs fixing…

A know it all twenty something who started GO FUND ME’s for a sump pump and his dogs medical expenses! ( I’m young and can’t work…HELP ME! ) Knows how a Lehigh Univ. grad who retired after a career with IBM and has run a successful business for going on 50 years should adjust the way he operates.

#212 2 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

True. All transactions sent as "Friends and Family" on PayPal and Venmo are not subject to the 1099K reporting. For now. Trust me, once the IRS gets word of PayPal and Venmo's 10000% increase in F&F transactions and corresponding drop in Goods and Services transactions, those will get taxed, too.
    Zelle reports nothing to the IRS. Zelle puts all responsibility to report on the individual. If you're receiving money to your business and not reporting it, you're opening yourself up to possible audit, regardless of payment method, even cash.
    https://www.zellepay.com/faq/does-zelle-report-how-much-money-i-receive-irs
    https://www.zellepay.com/faq/i-have-small-business-account-will-zelle-report-how-much-money-i-receive-irs

Is there an echo in here?

2F76FF11-07F2-4E62-A9E3-B83D2C957ADB (resized).jpeg2F76FF11-07F2-4E62-A9E3-B83D2C957ADB (resized).jpeg
    #213 2 years ago
    Quoted from BRONX:

Seems like Steves business is pretty busy, I wonder if he would consider hiring me to help out?

Wasn't there a show once, I forget what it was called, and the star of the show, I forgot his name, but he'd yell "Your Fired!"?

4 weeks later
    #214 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Just. Don't. Buy.

This is what I have done over the years. Just don't buy.

Not only is he kind of a ________ (fill in the blank), his AOL era website is absolutely horrible, his need for the customer to give him part numbers for each item they want (trying to find the parts on his jumbled up archaic myspace type website is a joke), his check or money order payment policy is just stupid (he's alienating so many pinheads) and you can almost always find what you THINK you need from PBR somewhere else. Life is too short to buy from PBR.

Never send cash in the mail.

#215 2 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

This is what I have done over the years. Just don't buy.

Not only is he kind of a _______ (fill in the blank), his AOL era website is absolutely horrible, his need for the customer to give him part numbers for each item they want (trying to find the parts on his jumbled up archaic myspace type website is a joke), his check or money order payment policy is just stupid (he's alienating so many pinheads) and you can almost always find what you THINK you need from PBR somewhere else. Life is too short to buy from PBR.

Or.

He has artfuly devised a methodology that automatically weeds out the D-Bags he'd rather not deal with?

Said it before, the guy couldn't be more pleasant to interact with.

#216 2 years ago

Three of the biggest non-conformists in the pinball repair trade [cfh, Tim and myself] have no issue whatsoever buying parts from Steve. Even if you don't have a checking account, you can have a check sent to anyone, including Pinball Resource, with a few keystrokes from bank, brokerage and similar financial institution accounts.

#217 2 years ago

Steve kind of reminds me of another guy that unfairly gets a curmudgeon reputation.... Tim Arnold of the Pinball Hall of Fame.

The truth is they're both invaluable assets to the pinball community who simply do things their way and refuse to suffer fools.

If you call Steve prepared and know exactly what you want, he'll go out of his way to be friendly and helpful. If you go to PHOF and are respectful, don't swear or let your kids run around unsupervised, Tim will be your best friend.

However, if you drone on and on about the first pin you ever played, you'll be shut down rather quickly.

Both are great guys.

#218 2 years ago
    Quoted from BRONX:

Oh wow, would be nice to meet this PBR facility in person. I thinking to send a normal envelope sizex letter 30*grams about 1oz in weight from Canada to U.S.A it's about $1.30cad.

I drive by the place all the time and have stopped a couple of times. Not once have they been open.

#219 2 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

I drive by the place all the time and have stopped a couple of times. Not once have they been open.

I'd be willing to bet that PBR does not get a lot of walk in business.

#220 2 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

If you call Steve prepared and know exactly what you want, he'll go out of his way to be friendly and helpful

I tell him I have his part numbers for some of what I want. And that there are others items that I don't have a part number for. Steve is cool with that and all I have to do is tell him what I am looking for and knows what it is and says ," that is such and such. How many do you need?"

If I have any tech questions, I always wait until he has my order so he does not think I'm trying to get him for free info.

#221 2 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

Or.
    He has artfuly devised a methodology that automatically weeds out the D-Bags he'd rather not deal with?
    Said it before, the guy couldn't be more pleasant to interact with.

If you're at Pinfest I NEED to buy you a beer.....

#222 2 years ago

I loved the last visit driving down to Steve on that narrow expressway highway with a trailer. Got all kinds of weird looks & I guess I was lucky all the cops were having a donut & coffee.

There are 222 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-young-pbr-/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.