Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by xsvtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2872 (resized).jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2874 (resized).jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_286e (resized).jpg
    0002690090284_A (resized).jpg
    untitleda (resized).png
    80FCD2CA-20D3-4E5E-8DD8-C37DF1587FA4 (resized).jpeg
    There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

I have heard pros and cons about the dude, but he is always there to help anytime I call. This last time I was having problems with a kickout hole and he helped troubleshoot on the phone and only sold me the parts needed instead of trying to upsell. The parts cost a couple of bucks, not 10 or 20 and were here in 3 days. I am thankful for the effort he gives to the hobby and I wanted to thank him right here.

#2 4 years ago

1994 Super Bowl was his highlight.

#3 4 years ago

Always has been.

The only people who have any issue with him are the idiots who want to argue with him and try and tell him his business.

#4 4 years ago

I have had nothing but plesent transactions!

#5 4 years ago

I agree, Steve is very professional and helpful and I’ve found his prices to be very fair.

#6 4 years ago

I was afraid to talk to him on my first order. Thought he was going to pounce on my ignorance. Opposite, he was very helpful and was able to buy what I needed.

#7 4 years ago

Yep. Always a great resource.

#8 4 years ago

I haven't talked to Steve since 2003. I do my many orders strictly by email.

#9 4 years ago
    80FCD2CA-20D3-4E5E-8DD8-C37DF1587FA4 (resized).jpeg80FCD2CA-20D3-4E5E-8DD8-C37DF1587FA4 (resized).jpeg
    #10 4 years ago

I usually just email them, but PBR is my favorite vendor. They don't mess around and recreate many parts to keep our vintage machines moving! I have heard that they actively discourage people from hoarding parts they don't need "just in case" as there may be a limited supply. I find this amount of forethought to our hobby's longevity to be inspiring.

#11 4 years ago

I prefer calling over email actually. Steve will tell you if you’re over ordering something, or he’ll ask why you need it and may even say how you can fix it instead, or buy a singular part to fix instead of replacing something entirely.

As long as you have your customer number ready, and try your best to have part numbers ready, even just the attempt is good enough, and Steve is very respectful.

PBR is the best of the vendors IMO. Maybe because I live in the state next to NY and orders arrive within 48 hours, but I do feel they’re hard to beat.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from davebart5:

I prefer calling over email actually. Steve will tell you if you’re over ordering something, or he’ll ask why you need it and may even say how you can fix it instead, or buy a singular part to fix instead of replacing something entirely.
    As long as you have your customer number ready, and try your best to have part numbers ready, even just the attempt is good enough, and Steve is very respectful.
    PBR is the best of the vendors IMO. Maybe because I live in the state next to NY and orders arrive within 48 hours, but I do feel they’re hard to beat.

We all hate the web site but we love the Steve! I hated when he took down his ad pages, it was a quick guide to ordering items for a mid 60's game. Wish he'd bring them back... Im sure it was a pain to keep the prices updated.

#13 4 years ago

Agreed, Steve Young has helped me countless times over the years and I always look forward to our conversations.

#14 4 years ago

Steve is a true... well... Pinball Resource. Always my first choice for parts. I also prefer calling - he's caught one or two issues with my orders (wrong part, etc)

#15 4 years ago

Steve and Gloria are both awesome and always pleasant to talk to..... as long as you know your part numbers Just kidding they are great and more then half of the time I don't have part numbers but just describe it to him and he knows exactly what I need. They are my go to vendor for all my part needs, except LEDs.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

Steve and Gloria are both awesome and always pleasant to talk to..... as long as you know your part numbers Just kidding they are great and more then half of the time I don't have part numbers but just describe it to him and he knows exactly what I need. They are my go to vendor for all my part needs, except LEDs.

Haven't seen Gloria in the shop in years. I pick up my orders in person since I live 45 minutes away. He is always helpful and willing to take the phone off the hook to help me personally! Recently, I needed a really hard to find stepper disc for four square. He had the part! I dread the day when he decides to hang up the phone for good.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

Haven't seen Gloria in the shop in years.

Wow I pray all is well, she is a sweetheart.

#18 4 years ago

His “bad reputation” has always struck me as ridiculous.

Just don’t get it.

#19 4 years ago

He's a good man........not like him
    untitleda (resized).pnguntitleda (resized).png
    He sent me parts before I pay him

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

Haven't seen Gloria in the shop in years.

She's still there and doing fine.
    Steve isn't a good guy, he's a GREAT guy! Super intelligent, and a font of knowledge on just about any subject.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

Haven't seen Gloria in the shop in years. I pick up my orders in person since I live 45 minutes away. He is always helpful and willing to take the phone off the hook to help me personally! Recently, I needed a really hard to find stepper disc for four square. He had the part! I dread the day when he decides to hang up the phone for good.

It's kind of scary because I basically order everything from him. I do a few orders from Marco and I have ordered from a couple of other vendors but 95 percent of my money for parts goes to Steve.

I read an interview with him and basically what he said is that there's really nobody out there to pick up the ball when he decides to put it down. I'm hoping someone like Marco decides to buy up everything and take it over but I'm not sure that's in the cards. Marco's guys are great to deal with too and they're knowledgeable enough but they seem to be more oriented to the SS/DMD side. Maybe it will happen, maybe somebody steps up, but it's going to be a tough day for EM guys when Steve says enough.

I don't necessarily hoard parts but the uncertainty of how long he's going to continue this has made me order stuff from him and squirrel it away for the future. Hell, for all I know he may outlast me in this hobby but it's definitely a concern for all of us who restore these old games.

If we could only get him to repro the damned lockdown bars...

#22 4 years ago

Steve is the gold standard. Marco and Pinball Life are great too but Steve gets the first shot on everything. Always enjoy talking to him. Been buying since 96 and I also dread the day he hangs it up.

#23 4 years ago

Hilarious how he only takes checks!

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Hilarious how he only takes checks!

0002690090284_A (resized).jpg0002690090284_A (resized).jpg

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

She's still there and doing fine.
    Steve isn't a good guy, he's a GREAT guy! Super intelligent, and a font of knowledge on just about any subject.

Yeah, Steve says she still does the accounts. I always enjoy my visits there. We usually talk about the hobby a few minutes even though he's super busy.

#26 4 years ago

Yes he is .... Very helpful

#27 4 years ago

Like many others, I havent spoken to Steve in 15 years, as I order by email. But he's always helpful and a great asset to our hobby.

#28 4 years ago

I've got it set up to go on by bank's website and a couple of clicks is all it takes to get them to send him a check in the mail.

#29 4 years ago

I’ve been in the hobby about a year and can’t say enough about Steve. I always call in my orders and enjoy the conversations with him. I’m in Oklahoma and have always had orders placed Monday morning in hand by Wednesday. Prices are great too!

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

His “bad reputation” has always struck me as ridiculous.
    Just don’t get it.

It's always been a running joke about part numbers rather then an actual bad reputation. Plus throw in the fact that he doesn't take online payments and his web site can be a chore to navigate sometimes accounts for people in the hobby to pass on the rumor of a bad reputation.
    I've contacted him several times about parts that didn't have part numbers listed and he's always been helpful. I don't like sending checks in the mail so only use him as a last resort. But will say all his parts are of great quality and priced fairly. If he did take online payments he would be my number 1 supplier.

#31 4 years ago

I only order by phone purposely just to talk with him for a bit about the hobby and life in general. Steve’s always made time for me and he’s truly one of the last of the Mohicans. He’s old school and you just don't see enough of that these days. Steve’s tops in my book!

#33 4 years ago

In the old days “the early 90’s” I used to order from Steve since game specific dmd pinball parts were almost unavailable in Europe. I remember I had to send cash USD by mail to pay for my orders. These long distance orders were a bit expensive due to shipping etc but Steve always delivered. Always a pleasure to finally receive something I ordered and paid for about 4 weeks ahead.

#34 4 years ago

Super reliable and unbeatable range for me as a fan of older games.

#35 4 years ago

Pinball Resource is great!!!
    Have your part numbers ready.
    Do not make check out to Steve Young, as I did in one of my first few orders.
    Always a pleasure talking with him!

#36 4 years ago

All my ordering done via e-mail with Jimmy who has always been helpful, part numbers on hand or not.

#37 4 years ago

come on, he does take the bank quick pay, he ends up with a paper check, just put the inv number in the notes field

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

I was afraid to talk to him on my first order. Thought he was going to pounce on my ignorance.

He pounced on my ignorance but was still spot on with the parts. Great “resource” for sure.

#39 4 years ago

Very few people have contributed more to this hobby than
    Steve Young. Great guy in all respects.
    Steve

#40 4 years ago

Steve is awesome. I kept it quiet but he installed these rivets and ring for me on my World Fair repro wheel.
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_286e (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_286e (resized).jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2874 (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2874 (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2872 (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2872 (resized).jpg
    #41 4 years ago

Steve has been nothing less than stellar each and every time I've ordered from him which is a lot as I only have Gottlieb. I worry when he retires the pins I love will be on the slow road to becoming part buckets due to lack of new parts to repair them.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

All my ordering done via e-mail with Jimmy who has always been helpful, part numbers on hand or not.

Same for me.

And, find another business these days that will box up and mail you your desired pile of random crap with no payment whatsoever up front, just the promise that you’ll eventually pay them.

#43 4 years ago

Wow,10 yrs in this Hobby and I didn't know that Mr Steve Young,ex 49r quarterback,who took over for our God,Joe Montana,is the force behind PBR!!!??? You learn something every day!!!!

#44 4 years ago

last time I ordered from him his first words were, " ya mean I haven't run you off yet?" thought that was funny.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from davebart5:

Steve will tell you if you’re over ordering something, or he’ll ask why you need it and may even say how you can fix it instead, or buy a singular part to fix instead of replacing something entirely.

On the flipside he will also send you black rubber instead of white rubber just because he feels it's what was original to the game....even after you've told him you're intentionally ordering white rubber and he specifically asked if I knew black was the original type on there..

Not a huge deal, but it was funny and awkward enough to stick out in memory.

#47 4 years ago

I mess with 60s Gottlieb wedge heads mostly. I have been buying 98% of my stuff from him for , lets see, I know its over 20 and maybe 25 years now. Sometimes I call but mostly I email the parts order and have only had one part not show up with the rest. It was minor and I said something because I had to get that part ASAP for some reason I do not remember. Had it to me in 3 days just like always. Another time I needed something for another manufacturer like a Bally or something, he got that part outta his 'secret super duper double probation underground" parts stash. The folks at The Pinball Resource have done me right first time , everytime with no hassels about anything.
    I believe its his side kick JIMMIE [is it?} that usually fills my orders. Hes always been just great to do business with.
    I have family up in Lake George, NY that I visit , originally from Syracuse and I have always wanted to visit the shop down there in Poughkeepsie [sic].
    Remember to support these folks, no photocopying anything he has as it is NO way to treat the folks that have made working on and fixing up Gottliebs so much easier when you know where parts are and who is the authority to do business with.
    Just can't say enough good things about them. I always try and send newbies there for their parts.
    Someday I really hope I get the chance to thank them in person.
    Onward and upward y'all

#48 4 years ago

His no filter attitude may not please everyone, but it suits me to a tee.

#49 4 years ago

I have always had great interactions with Steve on the phone. When I called with my first order (me being new to pinball) I need a schematic and a few parts. I did not have a parts manual or the part numbers. I described the best that I could and the exact parts needed arrived a few days later. When ever ordering parts, I always add an extra wearable item or two. There should be more companies out there like PBR!

#50 4 years ago

Each time I've spoken to him I've found myself hanging on his every word which I don't do often with people. If there was ever a brain to pick it's his.

Here's an interview of him from a few years ago I stumbled across. (scroll down to episode #376)

http://foramusementonly.libsyn.com/size/10/?search=young

-Paul

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-young-is-a-good-guy/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.