Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 159 posts
  • 84 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

not-prudent.jpeg
    Steve-Young.jpg
    3795f1.jpg
    1404252084000-CRUEEIGHTIES.jpg
    thYV8Y1H63.jpg
    baby.jpg
    IMAG2249.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#48 9 years ago

i've said this before, but i'll say it again...

i send jimmy an email before noon, and the parts show up on my front porch the next afternoon, unpaid for... i can't find any possible way to complain about that... i then go through the MASSIVE hassle of "write a check, put it in an envelope, open my mailbox as i walk past it, put it in, and raise the pickup flag"... how i survive that hassle every time, i'll never know...

as far as parts numbers go... a small investment in the parts catalogs eliminates that issue, and also gives you all those wonderful exploded views of mechs (which helped me immensely when i was starting out)...

every few months one of these threads gets started, trying to tell steve how to run his business... personally, i like the way it is done... if nothing else, how many people/vendors do you deal with that send you stuff BEFORE you pay for it? i like that "old school trust"...

plus in effect, i AM ordering online... i just happen to pay offline...

#56 9 years ago
    Quoted from icust298:

Doesn't anyone have online bill pay. Set up his name and address as a contact and you can have the check printed and mailed without leaving your house. It's the only and easiest way to pay for anything from Bob or PBR.

< an "i can't believe i'm an old man now" moment just happened >

believe it or not, i actually get a bit of happiness sitting down and writing that check... gives me a nice feeling of nostalgia, since it is basically the only check i ever write these days...

not that i like paying bills... but the whole "do it the way it was done in the old days" way kinda is appropriate when buying em parts...

#104 8 years ago
    Quoted from asay:

They don't do this for first time orders. Either way it's all the better reason for them to take credit cards.

yes... first time orders are sent without payment, you just are limited to 50 bucks (although gloria let me slide a bit on the 50 dollar limit)...

#105 8 years ago
    Quoted from Robotoes:

I see a couple months time has passed and we are discussing this yet again!
    #SteveYoungRules

yea, it seems like every couple of months someone wants steve to re-invent his wheel...

the system "works"...

and automating a system does not automatically mean it will work "better"...

#109 8 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

Doesn't he own most, if not basically all, of the gotlieb parts?
    The real answer is because he can. If others had lots of gotlieb parts for sale too he'd have to get out of the 1980's ordering as there would be competition.
    Lack of competition hindered a lot of pinball for a while when the initial pinball boom came back and was happening. Thankfully there are multiple companies that do the same service. Helps drive down prices and improve customer service.

except...

- he sells them cheaper than others already...
    and
    - he sells them to "others" to re-sell already...

it's not "lack of competition"... it's "it works well the way it is, why re-invent the wheel?"...

again, people seem to believe that automation is a panacea... it ain't...

#119 8 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

That's a true story, many small vendors have a black list.

i know i would... some people simply aren't worth the hassle...

#141 8 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

I don't think many would notice if he raised his prices 4 or 5 percent, especially if he's the only supplier with the parts.

oh they'd notice... and at least 1 person would start a thread wailing and whining about how pbr is now ripping us off, waa, waa, waa....

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-young-bob-roberts-credit-cards?tu=ccotenj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.