New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 125603)

Steve Young / Bob Roberts credit cards

By asay

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 159 posts
  • 84 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

not-prudent.jpeg
    Steve-Young.jpg
    3795f1.jpg
    1404252084000-CRUEEIGHTIES.jpg
    thYV8Y1H63.jpg
    baby.jpg
    IMAG2249.jpg

There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 5 years ago

I see a couple months time has passed and we are discussing this yet again!

#SteveYoungRules

#102 5 years ago

pbr did it for mine but yeah that makes sense. I would not send anything ever with no payment first. even long time customers have variables like forgetting to send check etc...

#103 5 years ago
    Quoted from asay:

Sending any kind of payment via mail is WAY riskier than using a credit card online. You are responsible for 0 if your credit card number is stolen.

Credit card mostly, debit card endorsed by visa no way. Had my visa debit card compromised 6 times in the last few years, only got my money back 3 times, 2 were because the merchants cancelled all charges. The others my bank said that they had no proof it wasn't me. My bank did jack shit for me. So yeah, don't count on it. Never had issue with my real credit card yet. Also the bank I used to use is large (PNC) so it wasn't like they were some small unknown bank.

#104 5 years ago
    Quoted from asay:

They don't do this for first time orders. Either way it's all the better reason for them to take credit cards.

yes... first time orders are sent without payment, you just are limited to 50 bucks (although gloria let me slide a bit on the 50 dollar limit)...

#105 5 years ago
    Quoted from Robotoes:

I see a couple months time has passed and we are discussing this yet again!
    #SteveYoungRules

yea, it seems like every couple of months someone wants steve to re-invent his wheel...

the system "works"...

and automating a system does not automatically mean it will work "better"...

#106 5 years ago

Doesn't he own most, if not basically all, of the gotlieb parts?

The real answer is because he can. If others had lots of gotlieb parts for sale too he'd have to get out of the 1980's ordering as there would be competition.

Lack of competition hindered a lot of pinball for a while when the initial pinball boom came back and was happening. Thankfully there are multiple companies that do the same service. Helps drive down prices and improve customer service.

#107 5 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

If others had lots of gotlieb parts for sale too he'd have to get out of the 1980's ordering as there would be competition.

There is nothing wrong with his 1980's ordering.

Nobody ships faster than PBR.

Nobody has less errors than PBR. (Marco by far has the most, with PBL second)

Nobody else gives you 7 days to pay. (I can order even if I don't have my "online only" credit card with me)

-

You guys are acting like Steve is doing something wrong, when actually he is doing everything right.

#108 5 years ago

The people in the arcade/pinball community want the 80s to never die, so why are so many of them trying to kill the 80s?

#109 5 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

Doesn't he own most, if not basically all, of the gotlieb parts?
    The real answer is because he can. If others had lots of gotlieb parts for sale too he'd have to get out of the 1980's ordering as there would be competition.
    Lack of competition hindered a lot of pinball for a while when the initial pinball boom came back and was happening. Thankfully there are multiple companies that do the same service. Helps drive down prices and improve customer service.

except...

- he sells them cheaper than others already...
    and
    - he sells them to "others" to re-sell already...

it's not "lack of competition"... it's "it works well the way it is, why re-invent the wheel?"...

again, people seem to believe that automation is a panacea... it ain't...

#110 5 years ago

Today everyone takes paypal come on already

#111 5 years ago

I'm not saying I won't use PBR, because I have and I will. If he is the only one with a part and wants me to yodel my order in, I'll do it.

#112 5 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

yes... first time orders are sent without payment, you just are limited to 50 bucks (although gloria let me slide a bit on the 50 dollar limit)...

Steve did the same for me.

#113 5 years ago

If I was Steve, it would be "No Soup for YOU, Asay!!!!!!"

I bet Steve didn't complain about how you run your stuff, did he? His business, his rules, buy or not it's up to you. That's pretty damn refreshing nowadays.

#114 5 years ago

I was honestly disappointed by my interaction with Steve, I was all worked up when I called the first time, thinking that I was going to get abused and told to "look up the part number and maybe he would take my call when I called back."

None of this happened, he was nice and helpful. He told me most of the part numbers I looked up were wrong or not available anymore and told me the correct number or substitute.

I have given up looking up part numbers before I call because I know I will screw it up or that number is long unavailable. I make sure I know the correct standard name for a part, but that is it. Though I am sure they would still take your order if instead of saying you needed a "flipper pawl", you said you needed "the thing that attaches to the flipper under the playfield".

What makes PBR great is when you need info that a big fancy website does not have listed with the parts. I wanted to convert the linear flippers to standard style on my EBD, I was not positive what I needed to replace. Steve did instantly. Order placed, no problem, not even any abuse given to me for not knowing part numbers.

#115 5 years ago

You have to pay extra for the abuse...

viperrwk

#116 5 years ago
    Quoted from mg81:

he was nice and helpful.

That sucks.

#117 5 years ago

I don't mind so much sending a check to Bob. I do see how people can not like it though. I almost never ever use a check anymore. The only problem I have with Bob is his site. Its painful trying to find stuff at times and I must admit that I have paid extra to order it from somewhere else just so that I don't have to go on a scavenger hunt. To me, that is way more of an issue than the check thing. Lately I've just been emailing him the game and the name of what part I want.

#118 5 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

Today everyone takes paypal come on already

Using paypal still incurs the 3% CC fees.

#119 5 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

That's a true story, many small vendors have a black list.

i know i would... some people simply aren't worth the hassle...

#120 5 years ago

It is annoying that I can't pay Steve by credit card or paypal, but in the end, I don't care as he simply makes the only flipper and mech parts worth buying.

I always thought he must lose money here and there by sending parts out and people not paying, but he told me that he loses very little this way, and that loss is still much less than paying credit card fees.

Plus, there's nothing quite getting reamed out by him on the phone for not having all the part numbers, and having to venture down memory lane with a using the archaic money order system at the post office - call me sentimental

I PRAY he never leaves. I PRAY I'm never forced to by the crap alternatives again.

#121 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Nobody ships faster than PBR.
    Nobody else gives you 7 days to pay. (I can order even if I don't have my "online only" credit card with me)
    -
    You guys are acting like Steve is doing something wrong, when actually he is doing everything right.

He can do whatever he wants, I didn't say he was doing anything wrong. I just don't write checks anymore ever. It's 2015. And I'm for sure not mailing that check, what a hassle.

Am I complaining about Steve's methods? Not at all. He can do whatever he wants, he has the business and the parts. Just saying, glad he doesn't have loads of WMS, Stern or other parts of games I seem to come across

#122 5 years ago

Steve is an asset to the pin community. It's nice to call a business and speak with the owner. I have not yet experienced the "soup nazi" attitude, just the opposite he has advised on what not to buy.

#123 5 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

glad he doesn't have loads of WMS, Stern or other parts of games I seem to come across

He does.

They are just not on the website.....

#124 5 years ago

You could put a bpm Meter on my heart , prior to calling , during , and after talking with Steve..it would stay the same pace ... Fricken fast!!

The only time I get this nervous is, in the ocean, hunting ,talking to hot chicks I love it !

Red bull should sponcer Steve ! Haha ..

Great guy , and when he's nice, you feel like someone special.

I like the way pbr does business , I hope they never go credit card !

#125 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If you don't have checks around the house anymore, you can just get a money order for .59 cents at the gas station when you fill up.
    It's not like you are ordering ever week or anything.......

Or pay through your bank's online payments... which nearly every bank does.

I never send PBR a check... my bank does

#126 5 years ago
    Quoted from asay:

My point was that they wouldn't need to catalog all 10m parts to make an easy to navigate website, and they wouldn't need to change their entire ordering and fulfillment process to punch in some numbers and charge a credit card.

No, but they would have to pay people to catalog all that stuff... and pay people to maintain it... and pay people to handle the payments.

The man built a company in a space that was low volume, high inventory costs, small order sizes, and relatively low margin. From the get-go, they were about keeping costs down.

It's why when Marco did the opposite, and invested massively in their ecommerce site it made such a difference. Photos of every part, cross-references, shop by game, etc. That stuff doesn't come for free, and its an ONGOING cost, not just an up front cost. Every part then comes with new costs to publish. Everything costs more to host the website, staff it, etc. They've simply said 'we want to be a parts shop - not a web shop'.

What their form of payment is I could care less... the guy gives anyone who asks 'pay afterwards' terms... where do you see that anymore?? My issue is the lack of a web catalog impacts when I can shop with them. I do most of my pinball stuff late at night... not during the work day. So getting on the phone to them and getting through is far more of a constraint.

#127 5 years ago

I guess it is their business to run as they see fit but it's nothing short of a nightmare to get anything from them when you're in Australia... If you're a gottlieb fan like me then you just gotta keep your eyes out on ebay and such for when people part out the machines you have and just hoard as many parts as you can. I would have thought bringing in a work experience kid or some lowly paid pinball lover for 3 months to catalogue everything online would reap a financial benefit rather quickly to tap into that large market of people who don't buy from him, but like I said it's his business not mine.

#128 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I must have the worst luck then with PBR, as I'm not sure if I've ever had an order screwed up by PBL or Marco despite 10x more orders to them than PBR. PBR has screwed up three of my orders (out of maybe 6 or 7)? Not major things, but things that made me have to have things reshipped or reordered.

#129 5 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Using paypal still incurs the 3% CC fees.

I don't think many would notice if he raised his prices 4 or 5 percent, especially if he's the only supplier with the parts.

#130 5 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

The people in the arcade/pinball community want the 80s to never die, so why are so many of them trying to kill the 80s?

I was born in the 90's so I have exactly 0 nostalgia for the 80's

Looking forward to get my PBR package. I went to the bank today to get a checkbook, then to staples to get some envolopes, then to the post office for some stamps.

I'm also working on my hair and headbanging form.

#131 5 years ago

If you want a deep Marco website experience, then you have to pay Marco prices.

There is no way around it.

#132 5 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

PBR doesn't "need" or "want" to become an online store. They are 100% busy every day running the same way they have for decades. Swamped. How could they add more hours to the day to accommodate web orders?
    And they are the best pinball resource out there, bar none.

Steve may not want to modernize and go to an online store format but that's by choice. He probably is swamped too but when you go electronic with a modern website and automated check-out with credit cards you can do many times the amount of business with fewer hours per day so I don't think it has anything to do with not enough hours in a day. It's Steve's choice nothing more. I'm sure he has his reasons but not enough hours in a day sure isn't one that would apply to shunning an automated online store setup. I just think Steve is old-school and likes it that way.

PBR is one of the best but so is Marco. The rest fall significantly behind those two as far as product line and inventory goes.

#133 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

PBR is one of the best but so is Marco. The rest fall significantly behind those two as far as product line and inventory goes.

I think it depends on what you're shopping for. It's hard to beat PBL prices on a lot of the common DMD era parts like flipper rebuild kits...those alone are ~$10 cheaper at PBL then Marco or PBR. PBL just doesn't carry a lot of EM or early solid state parts like PBR does, so if that's what you need you're somewhat limited in choices.

#134 5 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I think it depends on what you're shopping for. It's hard to beat PBL prices on a lot of the common DMD era parts like flipper rebuild kits...those alone are ~$10 cheaper at PBL then Marco or PBR. PBL just doesn't carry a lot of EM or early solid state parts like PBR does, so if that's what you need you're somewhat limited in choices.

PBL flipper rebuild parts are complete crap. Not throwing the company under the bus here, but the metal they use is weak. They fold so easy when tightening up. I have rebuilt hundreds of flippers, and learned this the hard way. I had a HUO Popeye that was an eye opener for me. I wanted to check the plunger and stop to see if it needed to be rebuild (they were perfect still), but when tightening back on the pawl, I couldn't believe how strong it was, and it didn't just cave in like the PBL ones. I ordered from PBR after this for something, had my first rebuild from there, and wow, same strong pawl. I have also noticed plungers do not wear anywhere like the PBL ones do as well. Again, my conclusion to this was that Steve uses a stronger metal composition, close to the original.

I have noticed the exact same issues in PBL with their rubber. Their red rubbers start wearing at the tips in weeks. I have ordered from everyone on this, as I am super picky about flippers mechs and rubber, and I have bags of EVERYONE's red rubber (PBR, PBL, HAPP, Marco), and PBR is the only one that holds up and is as close to the original NOS red rubber - which I was able to order a 50 piece bag of.

There is no comparing PBL rebuilds or rubber to the quality you get with PBR.

#135 5 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

PBL flipper rebuild parts are complete crap. Not throwing the company under the bus here, but the metal they use is weak. They fold so easy when tightening up. I have rebuilt hundreds of flippers, and learned this the hard way. I had a HUO Popeye that was an eye opener for me. I wanted to check the plunger and stop to see if it needed to be rebuild (they were perfect still), but when tightening back on the pawl, I couldn't believe how strong it was, and it didn't just cave in like the PBL ones. I ordered from PBR after this for something, had my first rebuild from there, and wow, same strong pawl. I have also noticed plungers do not wear anywhere like the PBL ones do as well. Again, my conclusion to this was that Steve uses a stronger metal composition, close to the original.
    I have noticed the exact same issues in PBL with their rubber. Their red rubbers start wearing at the tips in weeks. I have ordered from everyone on this, as I am super picky about flippers mechs and rubber, and I have bags of EVERYONE's red rubber (PBR, PBL, HAPP, Marco), and PBR is the only one that holds up and is as close to the original NOS red rubber - which I was able to order a 50 piece bag of.
    There is no comparing PBL rebuilds or rubber to the quality you get with PBR.

It's interesting that pinball collectors drop $5000+ on a machine, then search for the cheapest parts they can find, instead of demanding quality.

#136 5 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

It's interesting that pinball collectors drop $5000+ on a machine, then are concerned about parts being cheap, instead of demanding quality.

I haven't noticed any problems with the PBL flipper kits, however, I'm not routing games either nor am I super picky. For a home user like me, there's no way I'd ever play enough games to have any issues or notice.

#137 5 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I haven't noticed any problems with the PBL flipper kits, however, I'm not routing games either nor am I super picky. For a home user like me, there's no way I'd ever play enough games to have any issues or notice.

Yeah and you saved $10 whole dollars too!

My point was that PBL or none of the others come even close to the inventory PBR and Marco have.
    Not even in the same league.

Both PBR and Marco invest thousands of dollars of their own funds in the manufacture of new parts too. Everyone else primarily just sell parts. In addition, Marco also encourages others to manufacture pinball parts and sells parts from a lot of small manufacturers. A lot of the parts that are available today that we take for granted would not exist if it weren't for PBR and Marco taking the initiative to get them made.

#138 5 years ago

I have installed 100s of PBR flipper kits and have not seen any that are made of some kind of "soft metal".

And I'm rather particular about my flippers.......

#139 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I have installed 100s of PBR flipper kits and have not seen any that are made of some kind of "soft metal".
    And I'm rather particular about my flippers.......

They are talking about PBL not PBR.

I've never used PBL flipper kits but I have used PBR several times and had no problem with them. I prefer the Marco flipper switches though for SS Bally because they more closely resemble the OEM Bally switches.

#140 5 years ago
    Quoted from asay:

I was born in the 90's so I have exactly 0 nostalgia for the 80's
    Looking forward to get my PBR package. I went to the bank today to get a checkbook, then to staples to get some envolopes, then to the post office for some stamps.
    I'm also working on my hair and headbanging form.

Well, this explains a lot.

#141 5 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

I don't think many would notice if he raised his prices 4 or 5 percent, especially if he's the only supplier with the parts.

oh they'd notice... and at least 1 person would start a thread wailing and whining about how pbr is now ripping us off, waa, waa, waa....

#142 5 years ago

It's not convenient and it's definitely slower, but you gotta love these guys. They are 2 old school legends in the hobby who are directly responsible for keeping tons of machines alive and running well. God only knows where we'd be without them. Thanks to them both for all they've done, do and will do. It'd be an extremely sad day if they closed up shop.

#143 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gerrard17:

I guess it is their business to run as they see fit but it's nothing short of a nightmare to get anything from them when you're in Australia...

I've got another guy you can buy from...

#144 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

It's not convenient and it's definitely slower, but you gotta love these guys. They are 2 old school legends in the hobby who are directly responsible for keeping tons of machines alive and running well. God only knows where we'd be without them. Thanks to them both for all they've done, do and will do. It'd be an extremely sad day if they closed up shop.

Slower? They package and ship your order the same day they get it.

You can email them the order. No different that placing it online and paying online.

#145 5 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

Slower? They package and ship your order the same day they get it.
    You can email them the order. No different that placing it online and paying online.

I didn't know they sent stuff out before you paid when I made the OP, but they don't do that for first orders. I figured it would be a week every time to wait for both the payment/package to get mailed.

#146 5 years ago
    Quoted from asay:

I didn't know they sent stuff out before you paid when I made the OP, but they don't do that for first orders.

Your first order is limited to $50 for them to send it w/o payment.

After that, assuming you can handle sending payment within 7 days, you are on the white list.

#147 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

you are on the white list.

Why's it gotta be a white list and a black list? Racist.

#148 5 years ago

I just ordered a box of parts on Monday, and it got here around mid-day today (Wednesday).

No other retailer that I purchase from gets stuff out that quickly (but it does help that I'm only a few hours away from PBR).

#149 5 years ago

What do people under 40 without checkbooks want with vintage EM parts anyway?

#150 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

What do people under 40 without checkbooks want with vintage EM parts anyway?

I like pinball machines

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 89.99
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 259.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 7,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 4.00
    Electronics
    Z-connector (24 pin) Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 8.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside