(Topic ID: 200622)

Steve Ritchie's next game is unlicensed, what will it be?

By MRG

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 303 posts
  • 147 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Pinballlew
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2BDAF8EF-C571-4D00-A750-03BDADFD20EB (resized).jpeg
    3224077-superman+v2+annual+03-53 (resized).jpg
    images.jpeg (resized).jpg
    terrence-stamp-as-general-zod-in-superman-ii (resized).jpg
    sr (resized).JPG
    bk (resized).jpg
    stage_presents_hero (resized).jpg
    AEA73425-35B4-42DA-9A23-A8D1DBC465A5 (resized).jpeg
    0B0A7236-FFF0-4248-8010-E56703A7F77B_w1200_r1_s (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2018-04-30-13-25-36-1 (resized).png
    ee252ba8b437edc6bd867c41f6610a8182bd4518 (resized).jpg
    F35tandem-promo_0 (resized).jpg
    83F4398D-0E82-4B0F-9F76-7D2D25A8AB12 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20170801_183349 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1 FLCwlOfsE4q27CCj63vaqQ.jpeg

There are 303 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
    #301 4 years ago

Yes, it seems you are correct about this and I'm not really surprised. In some ways, pinball mirrors comics! Both pinball and comics had simplistic themes, artwork, storylines, etc... and during the 70's and 80's they both experienced a rapid metamorphosis with more serious storylines, more gritty artwork, more adult themes (in the case of comics) and SS replacing EM, multi-balls, video mode, etc... (in the case of pinball.) During the 90's and past the Millennium, both "grew up" becoming more appealing to an aging (and more mature) audience. The parallels aren't exact but I believe the expectations are! Once you become accustomed to a particular style, whether it's a pinball game or a "graphic novel," going back to a simpler form seems "quaint."

With this in mind, what I was envisioning would be something combining a "shooter's game" with some of those great SR designs and a twist or two! I do love STTNG with it's different "missions!" This is why I proposed a "spy thriller!" There are SO many different scenarios that could be incorporated! Quite frankly, I would envision multiple levels with multiple ramps (hey, the resident "super evil genius" must have a secret lair somewhere! ) Obviously, multiple traps and something special would be needed! Of course, there would need to be a way to "save the girl" as well as eliminating all the henchmen... and (of course) escaping the "nefarious trap!" And lastly, we need that lovely "lane flow" together with the extra flipper(s) and ramps for the inevitable car chase! Put it all together in a wide-bodied package with super cool graphics and a hot video mode (okay, yeah. That part would be ultra modern but it would be WORTH it!! ) Well, anyway... that would be my suggestion! BTW, thanks for that Beatles suggestion. I'll check it out!

#302 4 years ago

I just watched a video about Steve Ritchie (Part 1 the early years) and found out that he did wide bodies for Atari. Apparently, he hates them as he feels the wider body hampers the "flow!" I believe this could be addressed, especially if one were to add some ramps!

9 months later
    #303 3 years ago
    Quoted from redhawk1689:

What I WOULD be interested in is one that combined the best of the classic features with upgraded sound, lighting and graphics. Go "old school" with a modern twist! I'm partial to automobiles and I like spy themes! You can do all sorts of interesting things in this genre without being Bond, Bourne, or Wick! The trick is to make it engrossing while keeping the playfield "uncluttered." Gimmicks and toys have their place but I really do think that a new design with a "classic" (I hesitate to use the word "retro" ) feel would play well with the public!

It sounds what you are looking for is TnA to me that would be almost exactly how I would describe it

There are 303 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-ritchies-next-game-is-unlicensed-what-will-it-be/page/7?hl=redhawk1689 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.