(Topic ID: 200622)

Steve Ritchie's next game is unlicensed, what will it be?

By MRG

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 303 posts
  • 147 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Pinballlew
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2BDAF8EF-C571-4D00-A750-03BDADFD20EB (resized).jpeg
    3224077-superman+v2+annual+03-53 (resized).jpg
    images.jpeg (resized).jpg
    terrence-stamp-as-general-zod-in-superman-ii (resized).jpg
    sr (resized).JPG
    bk (resized).jpg
    stage_presents_hero (resized).jpg
    AEA73425-35B4-42DA-9A23-A8D1DBC465A5 (resized).jpeg
    0B0A7236-FFF0-4248-8010-E56703A7F77B_w1200_r1_s (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2018-04-30-13-25-36-1 (resized).png
    ee252ba8b437edc6bd867c41f6610a8182bd4518 (resized).jpg
    F35tandem-promo_0 (resized).jpg
    83F4398D-0E82-4B0F-9F76-7D2D25A8AB12 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20170801_183349 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1 FLCwlOfsE4q27CCj63vaqQ.jpeg
    There are 303 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
    #51 6 years ago

From http://thisweekinpinball.com

Steve Ritchie Working on Unlicensed Theme

According to Pinball News, during his presentation on Friday evening, Steve Ritchie said his next theme would be unlicensed. This comes after the Stern Pinball designer recently commented on Facebook: “I’m sick of licenses right now. I’m having REAL FUN doing what I’m doing on my next!” This is interesting as Gary Stern has mentioned in the past plans to stick with licensed themes. With the recent buzz around Total Nuclear Annihilation and Dialed In, it will be fun to see what Steve Ritchie and Stern Pinball have in store for us!

#52 6 years ago

Great News. Without having to pay the licensor, lets hope Stern can put that money into the design.

#53 6 years ago

Get Mark back in. Ritchie brothers goodness would be epic

#54 6 years ago

I'll believe it when I see it...how is Dialed In doing on location these days?

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from MRG:

Steve said he wouldn’t say he enjoyed himself making Star Wars

I feel like it shows. I also know he didn't enjoy himself on GoT, I heard that first hand from people at Stern, he was screaming about the same stuff we were. Give the man something he can feel good about, let him do his work!

#56 6 years ago

Motocross Wars

LTG : )

#57 6 years ago

Cool, Steve is the king of flow. Let you hair down Steve and have some fun and knock this one out of the park.

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

I'll believe it when I see it...how is Dialed In doing on location these days?

Who cares? There's more to pinball themes than a binary "Is a License" or "Isn't a License".

Dialed In might be a great game, but the theme bombed, end of story. Just because you aren't using a license doesn't mean you don't have to tell a story and be compelling. Turns out magic cell phone wasn't a story people cared enough about.

Full Throttle bombed even worse, no one gives a shit about Moto GP.

Medieval Madness is one of the most beloved games of all time. There's zero reason to lump the three together under some "not a license" banner.

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from patrickvc:

Get Mark back in. Ritchie brothers goodness would be epic

I was told that marks game is already done with design stage.

#60 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Who cares? There's more to pinball themes than a binary "Is a License" or "Isn't a License".
    Dialed In might be a great game, but the theme bombed, end of story. Just because you aren't using a license doesn't mean you don't have to tell a story and be compelling. Turns out magic cell phone wasn't a story people cared enough about.
    Full Throttle bombed even worse, no one gives a shit about Moto GP.
    Medieval Madness is one of the most beloved games of all time. There's zero reason to lump the three together under some "not a license" banner.

Operators care. The pinball landscape today is the same as the 90's? Your Medieval Madness example is pretty tired and irrelevant then.

If Stern is going to do a true one off game for the "collector market" then I could maybe see it being a success. Times have a changed dude.

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from HarryReimer:

Great News. Without having to pay the licensor, lets hope Stern can put that money into the design.

I wish!
    It will Probably just end up putting more money in Gary's pocket.

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I heard it's a direct competitor to Dialed In. It's going to be called Signed In and while your playing the built in camera sends a live stream of you playing to Facebook.

As long as it's not 'Phoned In'

#63 6 years ago

DARK CAVALIER 3000!!

#64 6 years ago

Maybe it will be 25

#65 6 years ago
    Quoted from Underspin:

An unlicensed theme equals a lower price. Right, Stern?

It definitely should but I'm sure that it wont.

#66 6 years ago

Richie really needs to hit this one out of the park otherwise maybe it's time to hang it up.

#67 6 years ago

I've noticed that Steve's Stern games tend to not be great art-wise, like moreso than other Sterns. Maybe with no license to worry about there might be more freedom to have some real art direction on the next one.

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

everyone i've talked to about about the DIs on location around here (there are two) has raved about the game and said they really liked the originality and wackiness of the theme, even though they thought it would be corny when it was first revealed. i think classifying it a bomb is way off base.

#70 6 years ago

CSI..... Chicago , the JJP files! I know that would be licensed but hey..

#71 6 years ago

If his next game is an unlicensed game, wouldn't that rule out black knight and high speed? Technically they are licenses.

#72 6 years ago

I think it is time for a surfing or water sports themed pinball machine.

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

water sports themed pinball machine.

This is a family website!

#74 6 years ago

Ahhh i see how they work. Release another High speed, 3 flippers one ramp and everyone is happy. Mwahahaha

#75 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

Not a bad idea but still wouldn't be the same with out licensed athletes.

#76 6 years ago

Gorgar 2000

#77 6 years ago

Other than WNBJM and PBR has Stern done anything unlicensed since HRC 16 years ago?

Gary used to be pretty adamant about making only licensed games.

#78 6 years ago

It will be a rehash of something he's done before. LONG ago.

Problem is people aren't willing to spend $8k for that today.

#79 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

It will be a rehash of something he's done before. LONG ago.
    Problem is people aren't willing to spend $8k for that today.

Except they totally are...and they only have to spend 5.5K.
    I understand the JJPOTC revolt is going on, but I don;t think change anything that quick. Designers have had their bag of tricks for a long time, it's their calling card and why people like them. SR has his 2 money designs and people love them. Go post that ACDC is the same layout as T2 and watch people call you a racist and an idiot they get so pissed
    PL same thing and everyone loves them because they all play diff'rent.

Unless by LONG you mean like Firepower which I agree might be a hard sell....or would it? People eating up TNA @ 6k!

#80 6 years ago

How good would a next generation Steve Ritchie "The Flash" be?!?!?!?!

Son of Flash

Unknown-2 (resized).jpegUnknown-2 (resized).jpeg

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from Underspin:

Just like JJP lowered the price of Dialed In!

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Except they totally are...and they only have to spend 5.5K.
    I understand the JJPOTC revolt is going on, but I don;t think change anything that quick. Designers have had their bag of tricks for a long time, it's their calling card and why people like them. SR has his 2 money designs and people love them. Go post that ACDC is the same layout as T2 and watch people call you a racist and an idiot they get so pissed
    PL same thing and everyone loves them because they all play diff'rent.
    Unless by LONG you mean like Firepower which I agree might be a hard sell....or would it? People eating up TNA @ 6k!

AC/DC and T2 are the same layout

Got rid of Ac/dc and SM.

SR needs to get over his grand daddy love of himself and get creative again.

$5.5k? You are probably right, SR will sell the pro no doubt. Well, any Stern should.

SR could end up being "THE KING OF THE PRO", not the flow.

#83 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

everyone i've talked to about about the DIs on location around here (there are two) has raved about the game and said they really liked the originality and wackiness of the theme, even though they thought it would be corny when it was first revealed. i think classifying it a bomb is way off base.

That's because it's a good game.

People can be mad at me saying it all they want, but I was in the room when it was unveiled, and you could have snuffed a candle with the oxygen leaving the room, it was a total bomb. Theme wise. Just look at the threads here FFS, it's all recorded.

People started to come around when they discovered it was fun, because gameplay matters.

#84 6 years ago

Orbitor Two!

#85 6 years ago

Come on Steve!! You got this one! Eye Of The Tiger brother!! I still believe in The King!

IMG_3463 (resized).PNGIMG_3463 (resized).PNG

#86 6 years ago

A fella can dream, right?

I would like to see a system 9 (~1985) 80's throwback:

Firepower III

* the best sounds ever on a pinball machine
    * a multi-ball that is near impossible to achieve
    * 30 second ball times
    * a game with ZERO ball feeds back to the flippers
    * two spinners
    * a horseshoe
    * drops
    * LED alpha-numeric displays -- rules simple enough that no DMD is required to explain the rules
    * a flat game, or with 1 ramp max.
    * great insert light show
    * voice, and NO music during the game
    * Zero lower pf toys

-mof

#87 6 years ago

Everybody wants a blast from the past

And prices from the past

Ain't gonna happen

I'm sure this is the SR reaction to DI and Pat Lawlor, another terrible seller.

Bring it on. Ego vs ego

#88 6 years ago

I'm a huge fan of Steve Ritchie. Not every game is a home run, but I have loved several of his games. Personal favorites are STTNG, Spider-Man, AC/DC, and STLE. I really like GoT and will revisit Star Wars in a year or so.

I look forward to a new original theme from him.

#89 6 years ago

Personally I couldn't care less about the specifics of the unlicensed theme; what I care about is how it flows, how engaging the toys are, and how rewarding the diversity of the modes makes me feel as I pursue wizard modes. I want the ' just one more game' feeling that draws me back in, coupled with an immersive soundtrack that compliments gameplay and an amazing light show. Oh, and solid build quality with mature code at shipping matters too.

#90 6 years ago

Would Black Knight really be a licensed theme?? It's a character in literature, not specifically created by SR / WMS. Or maybe it will be about the alien satellite orbiting the earth (didn't expect that when I searched for Black Knight!) or a car that has a Black Knight-Rider in it! I'm not saying I want another BK game, just questioning if it would really be licensed to WMS/PPS if they wanted to do it.

#91 6 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Firepower III

Firepower III sounds a lot like Swords of Fury. Minus the whole “no music” part.

Quoted from iceman44:

Everybody wants a blast from the past
    And prices from the pas

I mean... at that point, why not just buy a game from the past you haven’t played yet? There’s a ton to choose from, cost 1/8th the price of a new game, and literally satisfy every previously mentioned requirement.

#92 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Can anybody corroborate that steve actually said this?
    I find it Unlikey it would be a direct sequel as stern doesn't own the rights to high speed or black knight.
    I could go for another rolleegames.

Rollergames is far from unlicensed

that said I really want another

#93 6 years ago

Unlicensed themes actually require more work bc your doing everything from scratch.

#94 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

Mick Fanning's Great White Punchout

#95 6 years ago

Anything that doesnt have 2 ramps, 3 jets, 1 loop, a saucer kickout and a bash toy. Come on Steve, tell Gaz to have faith in you!

#96 6 years ago

F14 Tomcat II

#97 6 years ago
    Quoted from MRG:

Quote from Pinball News"Steve said he wouldn’t say he enjoyed himself making Star Wars, and he is done with licensing for now. His next game, he said, would not be a licence. "

Probably speaking from frustration; but I don't believe this at all.
    There is no way Stern is going to give up the Licensing cash-cow.

I'd like to be wrong - but I'm not sure I will be.

#98 6 years ago

I hope he breaks away from repeat games like Firepower, Highspeed, Blacknight, Roller games, Tomcat etc... as it is not very original to build on a older game/s - hopefully he is saying - been there, done that

go totally original Steve

#99 6 years ago
    Quoted from Underspin:

lol, dream on

Very strong possibility Steve's next pinball will be Motorsport/Speed related

#100 6 years ago

Stern Trek

There are 303 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-ritchies-next-game-is-unlicensed-what-will-it-be/page/2?hl=brewinbombers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.