(Topic ID: 200622)

Steve Ritchie's next game is unlicensed, what will it be?

By MRG

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 303 posts
  • 147 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Pinballlew
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2BDAF8EF-C571-4D00-A750-03BDADFD20EB (resized).jpeg
    3224077-superman+v2+annual+03-53 (resized).jpg
    images.jpeg (resized).jpg
    terrence-stamp-as-general-zod-in-superman-ii (resized).jpg
    sr (resized).JPG
    bk (resized).jpg
    stage_presents_hero (resized).jpg
    AEA73425-35B4-42DA-9A23-A8D1DBC465A5 (resized).jpeg
    0B0A7236-FFF0-4248-8010-E56703A7F77B_w1200_r1_s (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2018-04-30-13-25-36-1 (resized).png
    ee252ba8b437edc6bd867c41f6610a8182bd4518 (resized).jpg
    F35tandem-promo_0 (resized).jpg
    83F4398D-0E82-4B0F-9F76-7D2D25A8AB12 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20170801_183349 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1 FLCwlOfsE4q27CCj63vaqQ.jpeg
    There are 303 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
    #1 6 years ago

Steve Ritchie's next game is unlicensed, what will it be? Steve officially said this during his expo presentation. Do we want to see BK 3000?

Quote from Pinball News"Steve said he wouldn’t say he enjoyed himself making Star Wars, and he is done with licensing for now. His next game, he said, would not be a licence. "

https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2017/10/13/pinball-expo-2017-3/

#2 6 years ago

Can anybody corroborate that steve actually said this?

I find it Unlikey it would be a direct sequel as stern doesn't own the rights to high speed or black knight.

I could go for another rolleegames.

#3 6 years ago

PLAY FAST

love the tatt he got

#4 6 years ago

That's pretty cool news if true! Good to see Stern breaking out of the box they've put themselves in.

#5 6 years ago

High Speed 3....Tesla Model S inspired

#6 6 years ago

<never mind>

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_M:

HSIII: Self-Driving Cars
    It's going to have a mode where it plays itself.
    I overheard one of the designers while eating at Photo's Hot Dogs talking about it; apparently it was supposed to be licensed (Tesla) but they couldn't work out a deal; hence the unlicensed generic route.
    Can't wait for the Uber mode; it's going to have a jackpot countdown time to arrival that just like in real life will keep adding on time as the self driving Uber car gets closer, then takes a wrong turn.

Sounds like Crazy Taxi: The Pin

#8 6 years ago

HS3: Designated Driver (aka Uber vs. Lyft)

#9 6 years ago

Well if it's HS3, he can save time by reusing hardware from SW LE (HS2).

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

That's pretty cool news if true! Good to see Stern breaking out of the box they've put themselves in.

guessing they have seen the community excitement around both DI and TNA and are following suit.

I have to imagine working with licensed material can be a bit stifling also so could see Steve really liking this!

#11 6 years ago

My guess will be a black Knight 3k or something to that manner. In either case, very excited to see what Steve does with an unlicensed game, if true. Hope he brings in dirty donnie or zombie yeti for art. Throw in dwight or lyman on code and could make for an exciting pin.

#12 6 years ago

They would sell a ton of bk3 as it's such a staple amount pin heads growing up.

#13 6 years ago

Off topic here, but I would like to see Steve Ritchie do a Mad Max pin before he retires.

#14 6 years ago

E5F3C2D5-BDD9-45EF-928B-5F57CB0B19C2 (resized).jpegE5F3C2D5-BDD9-45EF-928B-5F57CB0B19C2 (resized).jpeg

#15 6 years ago

I'd be down for High Speed Knight 3000 with Black Sabbath's Neon Knights featured as the main theme music. Also wouldn't mind Red/White/Green/Purple/Blue/Pink Knight.

#16 6 years ago

Black Knight 3000! I was up in Seattle earlier this week, and kept playing Black Knight 2000 at Flip Flip Ding Ding. That music is really addictive!

#17 6 years ago

If it is Black Knight 3000 (Which I really doubt, but let's just pretend it is) they'd better get Brian Schmidt to compose a new soundtrack.

#18 6 years ago

Video or it didnt happen...

#19 6 years ago

A Black Knight sequel would BE a licensed game......licensed from Williams, now WMS, now totally absorbed by Scientific Games.

#20 6 years ago

I hope its not HS3 I really feel Star Wars is that already just with the wrong skin on it. Also it would be kinda silly to do a High Speed and not take advantage of the Fast and Furious license.

#21 6 years ago

I heard it is a car-themed pin and he gets help.

codemasters 2 (resized).JPGcodemasters 2 (resized).JPG

#22 6 years ago

Hah if it was Steve doing GOTG, just reskin SW with GOTG theme, put Groot on a spring and you're done. (Sorry Steve, will take some time to forgive SW)

#23 6 years ago

Hope for a true original. No sequels! Lack off theme imagination and original art packages is a huge turnoff for me with current pins. TNA and DI seem to have exposed a desire for a return to theme development vs theme cloning. I want to see the next Python or Art Stenholm rise up in the pinball world.

#24 6 years ago

You'd think he'd want to stay away from anything 'space' themed.

So maybe something like an 'Apocalypse' themed pin, where the goal is to try and save Earth from any number of extinction-level events (tsunami, earthquake, volcano, meteor, etc.).

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from kid_ego:

You'd think he'd want to stay away from anything 'space' themed.
    So maybe something like an 'Apocalypse' themed pin, where the goal is to try and save Earth from any number of extinction-level events (tsunami, earthquake, volcano, meteor, etc.).

Sounds like a Dialed In clone I sure hope they come up with more than that.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I hope its not HS3 I really feel Star Wars is that already just with the wrong skin on it. Also it would be kinda silly to do a High Speed and not take advantage of the Fast and Furious license.

Why do people keep saying this? It has more in common with no fear than either of the high speeds. Star Wars doesn't remind me of the high speed games AT ALL.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from kid_ego:

Oh, and a mom-jeaned guy with a cell phone and... oh wait, that's been done

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why do people keep saying this? It has more in common with no fear than either of the high speeds. Star Wars doesn't remind me of the high speed games AT ALL.

Because I can not count how many times people tell me how "Fast and Furious" it plays. How the hyper loop is like the next level of the turbo charger from HS2. The comparison seems completely obvious and justified to me.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Main toy in SW LE doesn't remind you of HS2?

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Because I can not count how many times people tell me how fast and furious it plays. How the hyper loop is like the next level of the turbo charger from HS2. The comparison seems completely obvious and justified to me.

No upper flipper w/ loop - which both high speed games have. With the just 2 flippers and the horse-shoe around the death star, I can see the No Fear comparison. Not that I really give a crap about similarities between games, I just care if it's fun.

#31 6 years ago

High Speed 3 or Black Knight 3 sounds like a great idea.

#32 6 years ago

An unlicensed theme equals a lower price. Right, Stern?

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Main toy in SW LE doesn't remind you of HS2?

Reminds me more of Nascar...just less successful.

#34 6 years ago

I heard it's a direct competitor to Dialed In. It's going to be called Signed In and while your playing the built in camera sends a live stream of you playing to Facebook.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Sounds like a Dialed In clone I sure hope they come up with more than that.

I guess I have never even done more than glance at a DI. Thought it was just like Sim-City the pin with the addition of a guy with a cell phone. My bad.

How about a WWII themed pin? Or better yet, a WWII battle-in-the-skies based pin with all the cool military aircraft from back then.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Because I can not count how many times people tell me how "Fast and Furious" it plays. How the hyper loop is like the next level of the turbo charger from HS2. The comparison seems completely obvious and justified to me.

It doesn't have a third flipper and the layout is almost totally different.

But yeah besides that...

#37 6 years ago

Anyone else see the irony of people clamoring for another Black Knight pin while at the same time many posting in dismay over JJP doing another POTC game? This community is interesting...

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

High Speed 3....Tesla Model S inspired

Do you push the start button and wonder if the game has actually started?

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Do you push the start button and wonder if the game has actually started?

Did you leave it plugged in?

#40 6 years ago

I didn't say it was an exact copy of High Speed but its close enough that I see no reason to do another pin that is even close. The problem is now is there is a license for everything. I was just thinking they could do like a retro adventure, or wait that is Ready Player One. If your going to do a War theme so many good movies to use. New IP is so fucking hard these days.

#41 6 years ago

Rollergames 2

edit: that's a theme right?

#42 6 years ago

As great as a Black Knight or High Speed sequel would be, I’d much prefer it to be something brand new. Why rest on the laurels of the past?

I mean, we’re in the midst of the great Pinball comeback. The market looks to be able to sustain itself on games—especially ones with unique themes. I’d love to see something new, fresh, and inventive. Hell, it could be something that spurs a whole new Ritchie line of game “franchises.”

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I didn't say it was an exact copy of High Speed but its close enough that I see no reason to do another pin that is even close. The problem is now is there is a license for everything. I was just thinking they could do like a retro adventure, or wait that is Ready Player One. If your going to do a War theme so many good movies to use. New IP is so fucking hard these days.

Well, it's gonna be "close" because it's a steve Ritchie. Probably not the designer for you - all of his games will remind you of high speed. But again Star Wars is not even close to high speed. Weird comparison. I

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Can anybody corroborate that steve actually said this?
    I find it Unlikey it would be a direct sequel as stern doesn't own the rights to high speed or black knight.
    I could go for another rolleegames.

It was either FB or Twitter and he didn’t say it directly but I believe his words were along if the lines that’s he is sick of working on licensed games and that his next project was going to be great. Something like that

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Hope for a true original. No sequels!

Quoted from mbaumle:

As great as a Black Knight or High Speed sequel would be, I’d much prefer it to be something brand new. Why rest on the laurels of the past?

This, so much. I don't mean to disrespect people's enthusiasm for the past, or the familiar, but every time there's a thread about dream games it's "Oooh, here's my favorite TV show/movie/band" and here's a chance for something new, and all people seem to want is a remake of something done before.

No wonder Hollywood is addicted to sequels and franchises.

I honestly think Steve Ritchie hasn't made a genuinely interesting game in a long time, but I also feel like he's been boned on licenses. I'd love to see him just free to do his own thing without constraints, he's a pinball god still, whatever I think of his recent games, let him do his own thing.

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well, it's gonna be "close" because it's a steve Ritchie. Probably not the designer for you - all of his games will remind you of high speed. But again Star Wars is not even close to high speed. Weird comparison. I

I sure do love my AC/DC but I agree it has similarities with Star Wars. I guess I feel Steve's best days may be behind him. Hopefully he can pull out one more as he is a legend.

#47 6 years ago

Quote from Pinball News "Steve said he wouldn’t say he enjoyed himself making Star Wars, and he is done with licensing for now. His next game, he said, would not be a licence. "

https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2017/10/13/pinball-expo-2017-3/

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from joefox22:

It was either FB or Twitter and he didn’t say it directly but I believe his words were along if the lines that’s he is sick of working on licensed games and that his next project was going to be great. Something like that

But he didn't say anything at expo?

That would be fantastic. Steve hasn't done an unlicensed game in 25 years.

#49 6 years ago

I personally think it would be cool to have the theme be about pinball itself and the evolution of it from early EM games to the modern day.

#50 6 years ago

"Pinside Cesspool"

There are 303 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-ritchies-next-game-is-unlicensed-what-will-it-be/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.