You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

T2 (resized).jpg
T3 (resized).jpg
Automatenheinz (resized).jpg
Untitled-1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobukcat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 2 years ago

I had a HS for a LONG time and it was still a lot of fun to play even when I finally sold it after 20+ years. I'd like to own an HS2 at some point as that is a super-fun shooter too but I still think STTNG is his masterpiece. Dwight, the mechanical engineers like Biagi and the licensing folks deserve a ton of credit too but since he was the "director" he still deserves credit for the overall experience. I've played everyone of his games except for the Atari ones and I think SW is the only one I hate though GOT is close because the theme means I have no idea what the hell is going on.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from Mardi-Gras-Man:

My respect for you! I can't stand this permanent bashing of FLASH anymore. If one is too young to simply understand how importatnt this machine was and still is than he should be quiet. A "poop-game" ? Gee-Whizz look at that boring and terrible sounding Four-Letter-Bally-machine from the same year. (Of course, that machine sold 17.000 units too but in this case it was the name and a clever strategy that made big numbers - FLASH had nothing of that)
If FLASH really is that bad how could it be that it sold over 19.000 units?
And please no one should forget (Steve Ritchie confirmed this) that Williams stopped the production-run because they "wanted to leave the market still demanding" - so it is a fact that FLASH could be the most-produced Flipper-Game ever topping Eight Ball and TAF. And when you keep in mind that there were also some FLASH-licensed machines in Brazil and Europe like Super-Zeus, Zeus and Storm, it will even be the most produced machine ever. A "poop-game"? Hahaha!
And as you said, Williams did not have a hit for a couple of years. Who knows what could have happened to Williams if they did not hire Steve Ritchie with his idea for FLASH, and the fantastic new sound-system ? Anyone who bashes that great new sound - compare it to Bally's from the same time!
Williams surely made tons of money with FLASH and that money helped Williams through the very bad years 83 and 84. There would have been no High Speed, no success, no DMD. no WPC, nothing. Pinball could have gone in a completely other direction if it wasn't for Williams and Steve Ritchie who invented High Speed in late 85. And all this only happened because he went to Williams and designed FLASH. So please give FLASH a break, OK?

I don't think I've ever really read about this game being such a big hit or a turning point for WMS at the time so thanks for the background on it.

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

If I ever lost my left arm in an accident BK2K would be the machine I would buy, extremely 1 dimensional.
No doubt SR has designed some great games, and I've owned a fair few of them - but I feel that he recycles his designs more than other.
Barring a few tweaks:
HS = Getaway
SM = STTNG = ST
T2 = T3 = ACDC
Favourites of his:
GoT
WPT
F14
ACDC
Misses:
BK2K
SW
BK:SOR

He certainly does re-use certain elements but of your comparisons I have to say that I don't think T2, T3 and ACDC play at all alike. They have some similar shots for sure but that's about where it ends. I also think that ST, SM and STTNG play completely differently (I have STTNG and SM) mainly because the shot off the upper flipper goes somwhere different on each game and in the case of TNG it can go two different places with a diverter plus you have two other shot options off of it.

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

T2 & T3 have very minimal similarities (outside theme of course). Completely different layouts.

"Shoot here and here".

#61 2 years ago
Quoted from Mardi-Gras-Man:

Another question - anybody got an idea if Steve Ritchie is on Pinside?
Please do not get me wrong - I've got no intention to stalk him, therefore I respect him too much, but I think it would be very interesting if he reads all our shit. And why shouldn't he, this might be one of the best places for market-research here.
There are other discussions if Gary Stern is a Pinsider, someone wrote he got proof, and why not.
I think I remember a post where someone wrote he got a PM from Steve Ritchie, but I forgot what toppic this was.

He's been very critical of this forum, or maybe more accurately the majority of posters on here in the past so I doubt he spends much of his time here.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Far Hills, NJ
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 72.50
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 39.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobukcat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-ritchie-s-worst-pin?tu=bobukcat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.