Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,188 posts
  • 261 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinFever
  • Topic is favorited by 31 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3247CD2B-FEA7-47EF-800A-1F7D84A6BF65.gif
    7641E997-6D12-4C7A-B098-5C9970529CD3.gif
    E2F49AFD-CC2E-45F1-A9E1-8E3F5BFC7651 (resized).jpeg
    236408805_1199699550549611_2501784493730357848_n (resized).jpg
    C1A1E3D5-4C5C-4B17-A924-8FBAA9EA09DB (resized).jpeg
    076CE60D-D9DF-413D-A228-C67DBE18EDD4 (resized).jpeg
    id4.gif
    Levi.jpg
    vonnied (resized).png
    vonnied1.png (resized).jpg
    06CFDC04-2462-4FEC-A29F-1737EA195526 (resized).png
    F7E6C6B8-CFFC-4FEA-92D5-F4229B72F080 (resized).png
    C6DBB8CD-E279-479B-BCA4-D6B7E3B20CFA (resized).jpeg
    Ice-Cold-FreezeOtto (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    226290492_4667540013264558_1955446924592228163_n (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 2 years ago

It's easy to understand why Ritchie would want to go somewhere he could theoretically be working with a larger, or infinite BOM, since JJP is more than willing to ask the customer 9k+ for a game.

It won't be enough to save JJP, IMO. I don't care who they steal away....with the prices they ask for the level of issues and support they offer?

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from insight75:

How does this work? Do they get paid by game or are they actually salaried? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I know for at least a little while, Ritchie was basically a contractor. If you look at some of his older games, they had the "SRP - Steve Ritchie Productions" logo on them as part of the contract deal. World Poker Tour, for example has his logo on the translite.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from DylanFan71:

I’d give this 10 thumbs up.
    I love a lot of Ritchie games and own a few right now but Keith Elwin would seem to have a greater upside.

Elwin (if Stern has half a brain) is likely under a non-compete clause, being a newer designer. You want to lock someone like that up for a good while when you're investing (and risking) so much on their performance.

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from koops:

I think Elwin has shown he's not the risk.

Which Stern would know before his first game....how? If someone like Ritchie with 40 years of experience can make BKSOR and LZ....everyone is a risk to some degree, plus Stern had to invest in Elwin to get him up to speed on all their tools and procedures. Non-competes are extremely common in niche markets with a high skill floor like this.

C'mon. Use that pink stuff in your skull. The only way what you said makes sense in response to what I said is if Stern released him from a non-compete early. Why would they do that?

#55 2 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

the return of WPC-style flippers

Ha, right? I remember how big a deal that seemed to me at the time that they were "Using Williams parts!" Little did I know at the time that the electronics matters just as much as the physical parts. Oops.

#100 2 years ago
    Quoted from Xenon75:

Steve unleashed at WMS brought you STTNG and No Fear which both easily had greater BOM's than even a JJP game when inflation is considered. Both very polarizing games. STTNG was remixed for Stern and while fun, hardly revolutionary or fresh. There isn't much gas in the tank design wise - regardless of budget.

STTNG and Stern ST play so differently I wouldn't really hesitate to have both in a collection. Honestly, rules wise, the Stern game is *substantially* better, and not just because of the depth of the rules, but all the little nuances and playfield multipliers from the warp ramp.

#104 2 years ago

Yeah...pretty much. Lots of fun games, but it always seems like the interesting stuff got cut or didn't really work as well as intended. Upper PF on GOT, lower PF on AC/DC Premium, the vertical eject on Star Trek that got removed before production that was supposed to throw the ball to the warp ramp, etc. How much of that was Steve's fault vs. the mechanical engineers or coders, I can't say.

I've never really been a Ritchie fanboy, though...always preferred Borg's games when it came to Stern, with the exception of AC/DC.

#156 2 years ago

Exactly. Nobody said anything about the number of shots on JJP games...that's never been an issue. They shoot clunky, and feel clunky. In order of CLUNK for me, least to most, it's Pirates -> Dialed In-> WOZ -> Hobbit. I haven't played Wonka yet, but my wife has and she didn't like it...and she typically appreciates flowy games more, so I'm going to guess it's between Dialed in and WOZ somewhere.

#203 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yeah...they're only clunky if you can't hit the shots.

I like how this is always the argument when people say a game is clunky, yet I've seen national-class (The only reason I'm not saying WORLD class is because I can't remember if I've ever seen Colin on WOZ before) players struggle with WOZ in tournaments and league many many times.

#220 2 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

Why couldn’t his talents be in both places? Two paychecks.

Non-compete clause.

You're not going to allow someone that the success of your business depends on at a high level to work for a direct competitor.

#231 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Who knows how this shit works. Seems like Dennis Nordman is always designing 6 games for 4 different companies at the same time.

Occam's Razor.

#235 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Depends who has the better negotiating position to fight to keep that out or not.
    Most of the big names have worked as independent contractors who were not exclusive at some point or another. Many, like artists and roles like David H continue to be independent and take work with multiple manufacturers.

I'm only talking about someone on Ritchie's level. The guy is easily the most well known pinball designer, for better or worse. There's plenty of reasons Stern WOULD release him from a non-compete, or why he might still be working under per-game contracts. It's pretty well known that Steve and Gary don't always get along.......but I'm just presenting the possibility that at some point he may have stopped being per-game/contract and signed a non-compete that Stern doesn't want to release him for competitive reasons, and he may have to wait out whatever term that is to go elsewhere, even if he isn't actually doing work for Stern.

*edit* Changed "them" to "Stern" for clarity on that last part.

#239 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

It's not Ritchie's first time around the block.. he's probably in a strong enough position to avoid any non-compete that exceeds his actual employment time

That's a fair point. Might be why he was contract in the first place for all we know. Didn't want to risk getting stuck there with Gary.

#242 2 years ago

Okay, we get it, BSD is your favorite game.

Frankly, I hope I never see it in another tournament ever again...at least not until I get to own one for a while.

#247 2 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Definitely not my favorite game, but it's a little surprising to see experienced tournament players suggesting it's not tournament worthy. PAPA used it a lot of years.

Hey, don't misstate what I said! I never said it wasn't worthy. I said I hope I never see it again. That game is a BITCH. Also, I don't like super-optimized scoring games like that. Me learning the best way to get points on a game is basically the death knell in my collection. Once I get in that mindset that I need to do things in a very specific way every single time, I get bored.

Like...even if I find a BSD...it won't stay long, because I'll just be pissed every time I don't get a good bats......like in tournaments.

#275 2 years ago
    Quoted from master_of_chaos:

Bad news for all AC/DC owners

Holy crap, you guys are still holding out on another update? At this point, wouldn't it have passed the time that Tron had between launch and the last code update? That would be bonkers.

#277 2 years ago
    Quoted from Waxx:

AC/DC got a code update in 2018 for the vault.

Right, which IMO makes it even more unlikely it would see another update at this point.

#280 2 years ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

My ACDC was long since stolen by then, so I have never even experienced OI Mania.

I never even got to the original wizard mode when I owned my Premium.

#312 2 years ago

" Jersey Jack Pinball (JJP) is the industry leader in quality"

OH MY GOD, I CAN'T BREATHE, SOMEONE COME PUNCH ME SO I CAN STOP LAUGHING.

#355 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Time will tell, but who really won this Monday?

.....Steve, probably. He likely got a pay bump or the same, along with being able to design games with more mechs and less cost cutting. Hopefully he got a nice long contract so they can't just walk him out the door when his game isn't an instant hit due to all the OTHER issues.

It will seriously be strange to play a Ritchie game with JJP flippers...I just don't see that working out well. Can't wait for the 1500 buck price hike purely due to Ritchie's name being attached. Ya'll have fun with that....

#389 2 years ago
    Quoted from dsmoke1986:

I will...I'll be buying his first JJP for sure!!!
    He's a legend in this business, there wouldn't be a Pinside today if it wasn't for SR and PL; show some respect you ingrates.

Oh please. Get the hell out of here with these BS strawman arguments. If Ritchie never existed, someone else would've filled the hole. If you want to make an argument that pinball wouldn't still exist without Oursler, then we can have a reasonable discussion. Ramps saved the industry and changed the game. What, exactly, has Steve ever added to pinball in that way? The claim to fame of innovations on a Ritchie game is flashers (Okay, those are pretty widely used), magnet accelerator chains (Um.... HS2, No Fear, and Star Wars.....all Ritchie games..), and.....uh.....a laser pointer with a splitter filter on it?

He just makes solid games, that's all. He's not a god. I hope he gets the chance to do something really unique with JJP. I don't even understand why the hell you chose to quote me there. I haven't really bagged on the guy (or Lawlor for that matter??) at all on this thread. I said JJP flippers suck, especially for the type of games Steve has designed anytime in the recent past...they'd probably be fine for WPT, though....that has nothing to do with Steve or Lawlor, it's an issue with their mechanical and electronics designers.

#417 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Dual level PFs, Magna Saves, Front-side Kick backs like Yagov?

I might give you the first one. It's pretty ubiquitous. That was a dumbass error on my part. For some reason I was thinking OG Iron Maiden was older than BK, but it's not even close, several years off. Oops.

If I ever see another magna save, it's too soon. That's the most useless crap gimmick in pinball, particularly with it being on a lockdown bar button instead of where your damn hand actually is. He actually made that WORSE. This is the worst application of a magnet in pinball if you ask me, as long as we aren't counting Magic Girl....

Kickbacks towards the player...I mean....I'm a fan, but it's not exactly mindblowing. I guess if I had been older than SIX when F-14 came out....it might've blown my mind. I could see that being pretty jarring for the status quo at the time.

I'll split the difference with you, overall. Still, I think he can do better than this stuff. I hope, anyways.

#420 2 years ago

I'd love to see Ritchie do this one. A fast paced flowy game would fit the on-the-run kind of mentality of Dune without it getting so deep that it worries about the overall themes...which are impossible to convey in pinball.

#462 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Wasn’t he the first person to use the modern day wireform ramps/invent them?

I dunno, let's figure that out. Maybe I can eat my hat on that like with the upper playfields.

High Speed had small wireforms, right, or am I imagining that? Was there anything earlier than that?

*edit* Crap, lol, I obviously posted that before I read down the thread.

Lane change is a good one. I get annoyed playing solid state games that don't have it.

#466 2 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Ok. So a wireform with 4 wires. I do think he's the first for that? I don't know my European games super well though.

Farfalla (1983) SORT OF has one in the shooter lane. It's held together with brackets, not a welded loop of additional wire though. High Speed is 1986.

#485 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

On the wire form issue, wasn't the return from the mini pf on Pinbot the actual first four wire run? Not sure which came first HS or P*B in 86

High Speed wins by 9 months.

#551 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Everytime someone one ups another on a first reminds me of how limited these games are and every designer using what's available.

Right? If nothing else, this thread has helped refresh my memory of when these things came into existence.

#554 2 years ago
    Quoted from Blindseer:

If you find one with a topper then its cheaper than buying the game by itself

I played one three days ago, actually.

#573 2 years ago
    Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

How many folks trolling on
    here have a place in history?

Pretty sure I peaked at "got invite to IFPA World Championships and turned it down".

#686 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

At the end of the day, it’s just a spinner with a magnet underneath it, but it is unique and new.

There's a magnet?

I had that thing up at least 7 or 8 times between different balls at a tournament this last Sunday...but I never noticed any magnet? What's it supposed to do, and when is it supposed to fire?

#689 2 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

It holds the ball, it goes back down into the PF, you do the thing, it comes back up and start MB

Uh yeah...never saw that...lol....

#770 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

Lol I did. Sometimes posts go off topic and I’m like what just happened. So I was just slapping myself. All in fun.

This is brilliant. I'm going to start self-flaming myself on all my posts now to prevent anyone else from having the opportunity.

#782 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

If you absolutely LOVE multiball. Actually, love isn't the right word. You have to have an undying obsession with multiball. Then yes, the game is absolutely brilliant.

This is LITERALLY every JJP game I've played. Hobbit may be *the* definiton of "Multiball or bust" gameplay. Here's modes...WITH MORE BALLS......here's multiballs that stack on top of modes with more balls, and stack on other multiballs! Here's mini wizards that are multiballs that stack with multiballs and modes with multiballs!

Pirates ain't far behind with 4+ easy to get multiballs.

#802 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

n the case of Hobbit you can stack the main multiball, Smaug MB, with other modes. That's pretty typical of a vast majority of newer games. The same goes for Beast Frenzy and, Feast Frenzy multiball modes. The main 30+ book modes can all be played on their own, with 1 - 3 of the main multiball modes, or on their own with your choice as single ball mode or as it's own multiball depending on how many mode locks you have. Yes, there's a lot going on there and it's awesome as its all player choice. There's a ton of stacking strategies that can help to blow up the games score.

There is not a SINGLE Stern game where I spend as much time in multiball (of any form) as Hobbit. Not even REMOTELY close. You can toss around words all day long and it's not going to change the simple facts.

If you're playing book modes on their own, you're doing it for one reason...to see the callouts and animations. Which is fine. They put a lot of work into that. But it's a stupid, STUPID choice if you're going for score. There is absolutely no reason NOT to stack in Hobbit other than that, and if you choose to handicap your progress or score.....I'm not about to stop you, and I'll gladly take that W. I don't think you need to preach to me about Hobbit rules in that regard. I had -triple- the score of my nearest competitor at a league night this last tuesday, and in fact, I did have +2 mode balls because I intentionally delayed the MB start to start the book mode with the +2 balls BEFORE starting the multiball. I had Into the Fire on ball 1 without even intentionally going for it. The game IS entirely about multiball, whether you're using it to give yourself more chances to make shots in a mode, or playing the "main" multiballs. Period. Hobbit without that would be a complete piece of trash. I understand thematically why they made that choice, and I *really* wish that it wouldn't be used as a competitive game, EVER, because of it. It plays way the hell too long for that crap, specifically because getting into multiball in any form is a complete and total joke, and you're just as likely to start Beast Frenzy on accident as you are intentionally. I've had 3 ball games of Hobbit where I am not even remotely kidding where I've had SIX+ Beast Frenzy MBs. It's ridiculous. It should not take an hour and a half for a 4 player league game, or 45+ minutes for even Colin MacAlpine, his kid, me, and my kid, to play a 3 ball parent child finals where it was 1 ball parents, 1 ball kids (Mine was like NINE at the time, mind you), 1 ball split flipper....and yet it did.

I actually enjoy a well playing Hobbit.....alone. But with other people? Hell no. Hard pass if I have a choice.

I'm sure all that is adjustable in the settings, but I have no control over that in 99.99% of situations.

Believe it or not, if they would just remove Jack from the company entirely, fix their QC issues, and get their pricing under control or at LEAST stop changing the prices mid-run and announcing 20 different versions of the same game just to milk more money out of people.....I'd probably be a JJP evangelist. But they seem determined to KEEP doing stupid things that have been bringing them down since WOZ. I was defending WOZ when it was not popular to do so. Dialed In has interesting things to it that I like, and Hobbit....as long as I'm in the mood to play a half hour or more of multiballs.....is to me the best example of how to do a video screen interface that's informative and visually appealing. That's one area where JJP leads the industry currently. None of Stern's LCD animations even remotely come close to the integration of video assets and interface design that Hobbit has.

Stern's screens are like .MOV files in the era of 4k YouTube. Functional.....but not good to look at.

#837 2 years ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I only upvote this because of the effort you had to put into this enormous response. Kudos!

I have a lot of mixed feels about Hobbit, clearly. LOL.

#860 2 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Man what in the hell setting do you have that you're in multiball this much. There are games that I'm DYING to start Beast Multiball and can't. You must have some sort of werd settings or super sensitive beast where it activates that often. One of my complaints is how hard starting beast is. I have heard people say Hobbit is a multiball heavy game and I never understood it.

You do realize I said I have no control over it 99.99% of the time....yes? These are location games. Two separate locations, same behavior. I ASSUME it's the default settings, but how the hell would I know given I don't have access to the system menus?

#997 2 years ago

Well...good luck to Steve. Hope he gets what he wants and JJP doesn't bone him with more crap playfields, because the way he designs games...they're certainly going to need to be able to take more abuse.

#1090 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There lies the issue with Stern and it's not fun factor (they are a blast to play) but rather that their prices are not consistently justified by enough features, mechs, code, cabinet quality, etc.

This is pretty much true of all pinball manufacturers at this point.....even Spooky to some degree, but that's a different issue of volume and size, not greed. I feel like I'm getting a loaded game for 8k, but.....it's still 8k, which is CRRAAAAAAAZY compared to the days of 4200 NIBs when Tron came out. I guess I'm the schmuck for falling into the "theme sells games" trope becuase....Ultraman....but also I wouldn't pay 10k for Godzilla regardless of what it turns out to be, so.... I dunno anymore. I never thought I'd be spending 8k on a game, either.

#1096 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Yeah, I thought I might need therapy after paying $8300 for my MBrLE NIB, and as it turns out, that was a bargain. I've started collecting Gottlieb wedgehead EM's now. You can still find them for under a grand... even under $500 when lucky.

I've passed on two locally available wedgeheads under 500 in the last few months just because working on EM's is exhausting to me.

#1164 2 years ago
    Quoted from jcg9998:

Par for the course for the current generation... Thinking induces migraines.

This so easily goes both ways it's not even funny. Talk about a straw man argument.

#1184 2 years ago
    Quoted from sevenrites:

Pretty awesome we’re gonna see what Steve comes up with while he’s with JJP. I like what Lawlor has done since he went there. All their games are pretty incredible so another designer in the mix is likely going to make the things they do even more interesting.

The issue with JJP has never been about the playfield layouts. Even Hobbit, which was completely DECIMATED Pinside-style is fun to play. Dialed in? Really fun game....when it works. The issues have always been about poor public-facing personnel (Jack) and quality issues, which they swore up down left right and center that they were going to lead the industry in. So far, the only thing they're leading in is chipped playfields and mechs that can't hold up to location play without excessive babying.

It would be freaky, and cool, if they put a tiny vial of blood glued into a cutout in each playfield....somewhere it's impossible for the ball to get to! I'm not sure how that wouldn't be considered biohazardous materials though and probably a lot more legal issues than they care to deal with.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-ritchie-leaving-stern-for-jjp?tu=frax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.