Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,188 posts
  • 261 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinFever
  • Topic is favorited by 31 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3247CD2B-FEA7-47EF-800A-1F7D84A6BF65.gif
    7641E997-6D12-4C7A-B098-5C9970529CD3.gif
    E2F49AFD-CC2E-45F1-A9E1-8E3F5BFC7651 (resized).jpeg
    236408805_1199699550549611_2501784493730357848_n (resized).jpg
    C1A1E3D5-4C5C-4B17-A924-8FBAA9EA09DB (resized).jpeg
    076CE60D-D9DF-413D-A228-C67DBE18EDD4 (resized).jpeg
    id4.gif
    Levi.jpg
    vonnied (resized).png
    vonnied1.png (resized).jpg
    06CFDC04-2462-4FEC-A29F-1737EA195526 (resized).png
    F7E6C6B8-CFFC-4FEA-92D5-F4229B72F080 (resized).png
    C6DBB8CD-E279-479B-BCA4-D6B7E3B20CFA (resized).jpeg
    Ice-Cold-FreezeOtto (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    226290492_4667540013264558_1955446924592228163_n (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darscot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#434 2 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

They are actually pretty rad shades, its just a little strange to see them on an older guy like SR. Don't knock a guy who likes to stay stylish. Really though, it would be a lot cooler if they were pit vipers, or what the actual cool kids are wearing these days: Heatwaves

The golden rule of fashion if you were around the first time it was cool you are too damn old when it comes around again. Does no one at JJP have a kid that could have dressed these guys for a picture.

#450 2 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

Steve's High Speed had a lot of 'firsts' - though to be honest I'm not sure if these were all Steve's ideas, or someone else at Williams at the time.
    First pinball to play a complete song.
    First Williams pin game to use alpha-numeric displays.
    First use of Auto Percentaging in a solid-state game (for replay scores).
    First Jackpot available only during multiball.
    First use of broken switch compensation programming.
    First SS game with operator report.
    First to have a multiball jackpot that would carry-over from game to game.

Those seem like some of his later stuff, didn't he create multiball and lane changing with Firepower.

#501 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bud:

Pinside is so toxic and harsh it’s unbelievable.
    DAD MOMENT HERE:
    There are 3 great people pictured there at JJP and most comments are so disrespectful it’s disgusting. I would be embarrassed to have friends that make comments like I’ve seen on here.
    Instead of bashing people for the clothes and glasses they have, how about a little respect like keep your beak shut if you don’t have anything nice to say.
    Pinsiders say things like they want innovation and new ideas in pinball, yet poke fun at the very designers and manufacturers they want these things from. Kinda makes it hard to want to come into to work and innovative/create new ideas when all people do is talk trash on a personal level.
    I remember the comments when DI was revealed and it was appalling just like this tread is. These people put a ton of work in these machines just to have a group of nobodies try to tear down the hobby.
    Age and choice of clothes have nothing to do with pinball. When one sees that pic of those three guys, you should see history in the making or at the very least excitement of what lay ahead.
    I’m sure there will be mockers and downvotes at my statement, but those mockers know it’s the truth.
    Have a little respect.

I’ll never understand this whole thing of being offended because you imagined a grown ass man is so fragile his feelings are hurt by a comment on the internet that they don’t know exists. I think a legend like Ritchie deserves to a proper promo shot and announcement and not just a random cell phone pic on the front lawn Monday morning before the guy has had a cup of coffee. People call it like they see it, maybe JJP should have paid the man a little more respect. This looks like when a failing sports team gives the aging star player a front office job and you know they are just using him as a distraction from their losing season.

#522 2 years ago
    Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Really lol? Typical Pinside Melodrama
    I don’t care if SR can make cute TikToks and a FBLive video…He’s a pinball designer and an engineer…All I care about is his next design, which I’m sure will be a showstopper

I’m a big fan of Ritchie and looking forward to seeing what he does. That being said this whole thing that everyone knew but waiting for JJPs official reveal. That reveal turns out to be a half assed pic on the lawn. I don’t think anyone is disrespecting the man just laughing at the cheesy shades that are his trademark (yes I know he has eye problems). The defence feels like a lot more drama than the people having a chuckle. I hope he gets to build his masterpiece but this feels like a PR stunt.

#597 2 years ago

What I really hope to see is that JJP use him in a mentorship role and not give him a project to oversee. He seems to do his best work in certain areas but other areas he can really fall short. Artistically his pins have been really lack luster. His toys are hit and miss. He seems like the kind of guy you have to let him do what he does best and just take everything else off his plate. This is not ageism but time catches us all, I would have paired him up with someone young a few years back. Let them do all the day to day stuff and just leave Steve to be inspired. He is the king of flow and his pins are still incredible to shoot. Him teamed up with a young technical artist would be the best of both worlds.

#623 2 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

Whatever Steve does, and I'll reiterate, is going to be a macho theme with SPEED! Loops galore, reflex shots, kickass music!

I was with you up to this point, then you just went away. Time to put down the devils lettuce.

#633 2 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

It seems like he's worked closely with Tim Sexton on most, if not all of his most recent games so I think that's already been happening. When it comes to the Art Package, especially on licensed assets I doubt he has much say at all but I think he gets more shit than deserved for BKSOR. That main toy is unique and pretty complex and I would bet that once that BOM cost was sunk other things we may have wanted to included had to go including an actual kickback for the outlane ballsave, magnasave button next to the flipper button, maybe a more complex upper locking mechanism, etc. It also has one of the coolest toppers ever made available, though I don't know if he had much to do with it, I'm not really a "topper guy" though.

Yeah the actual Black Knight toy was pretty cool, the upper playfield not so much. The Hyper-Loop was awesome just was clearly meant for a High Speed theme. I'm not a fan of the magic spinner on Led Zep but people do seem to like it, those Unicorns in the early release were terrible. I just can't give him a pass on the Art and say well its the license. His pins are consistently terrible. There is no way it was the license that insisted on that style for GOT, there has never been a piece of merchandise or media that looks anything like that. Star Wars they redid the art and the license clearly was happy with the new style. AC-DC is like the benchmark for terrible and it has several iterations on the art. Star Trek is probably his best and it was not loved when it came out (when a pin gets the Aurich package its not a sign of good art). I think it's just not that important to him, he is just too utilitarian and needs to let someone better suited handle it.

#636 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Stern has an art director, maybe your gripe is with him? I doubt the designers get a lot of artist choice. ST, GOT, SW, LZ were never going to be Zombie Yeti games. BK3 got a theme-appropriate artist and it looks fine.
    If you do a little digging, you'll find that the "artist" for LZ is a suburban Chicago designer of tacky rockstar clothing, and longtime music industry friend of Jody Dankberg. So I'm pretty sure you can't blame that one on Steve.

They are his pins and they are consistently below par. It's not like an occasionally thing with Steve's pins. I love his games but lets be real here, speed, flow and bad art art the 1,2,3 of Steve Ritchie. Honorable mention to aggressive callouts with his voice.

#639 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I agree the art usually bad, but tell me how you think he can veto his own art director and/or the licensor and/or Jody.

It's not about veto, its about a conversation, guidance and collaboration. Is it even debatable that Steve's pins tend to be lacking compared to everyone else's at Stern when it comes to Art. The man is still a legend, but hopefully at JJP they give him the support in areas to make him even better. At Stern he just seemed to be a little stagnant this change could be the best thing for him. He was kinda going the wrong direction at Stern.

What theme do you think would suit him at JJP? He needs something big and aggressive, but I think he has done enough music pins. The one that comes to mind for me is Top Gun. Can you imagine a fully licensed Top Gun with Steve Ritchie and JJP, damn, that could get my money.

#646 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Sure, if you want Tom Cruise's folks to guarantee it has boring photorealistic art.
    Speed/aggression-based themes are irrelevant at JJP anyway until they change how they drive coils.

You must be fun at parties, so it's basically hopeless even Steve Ritchie can't make a fast pin at JJP. What theme would you like to see him do?

#654 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I'm theme agnostic; only care how well they're implemented.

That is not a terrible idea. A pin that was just pure Tournament or Championship edition would have a market. Just completely focused on balance and scoring. The theme would actually be competitive pinball. Just insane strategy and rule set. Sound just for stress and commentary.

#674 2 years ago

The Spinner on LZ is just kinda flawed for me. It's a spinner shot that doesn't go anywhere. I would have been way better if there were spinners on the shots but they where held flat so they couldn't be hit. Then in certain modes then enabled with timers. You could move the active spinner around. You need a loop or ramp to really rip a spinner. I like the reveal how it rises is up and is limited but it could have been better implemented and a lot less complicated.

I don't think a great toy needs a lot, it just needs to create that moment. I think Mist Multiball is amazing and its just a ball on a magnet. Its the anxiety of it moving and you know it goes away, that make the toy.

#791 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

The root cause is environmental restrictions on chemicals. If you want the good clearcoat you got to go to Mexico., not Germany.

This is completely false. Every other product and surface can be painted and cleared to perfection. This is purely an issue with time and money. All they need is the proper safety protocols, ventilation and cure time. They clearly have an adhesion problem somewhere in this process. Moving to a place that you can get away with poisoning people is not going solve the problem. This is such a stupid take, let’s move to a place that workers are desperate and force them to work in shitty dangerous conditions, that will improve quality. What could go wrong.

#797 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Not saying I agree with poisoning the environment and workers having to work in “shitty dangerous conditions”. Also not saying Mirco can’t improve his process. But if you think the restrictions on chemicals isn’t a factor then you are the one who has “such a stupid take”. I’ve owned a 1966 mustang convertible for over 30 years. I’ve talked to a lot of people in the business of automotive restorations. It is basically a unanimous position that the restriction on chemicals in the clearcoats are a major hurdle. I can’t get the same paint job today as the one I got back in 1991 that has held up all these years.

I agree you can’t get the same paint job. You can get one that is way better. It’s laughable that you think they haven’t improved in thirty years. Sure people in the restoration business are going to complain because they have to improve along with it. You can’t just spray that old crap in the same old booth and pour it down the drain like they used too. The need to buy respirators, reclaimers, ventilation systems, it cost money to upgrade. Talk to a chemical engineer and he is going to laugh and think that 30 year old paint or clear is garbage from the dark ages.

#804 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

True. Mine was lacquered. But my point is still the same.

The clear coat on my old Tahoe did not hold up for very long. It was total crap. Flaking after about 5 years or so. Hopefully my new Tahoe will hold up better.

This was never my point of argument. Companies have had to innovate due to restrictions. There are hurdles involved. I am a strong supporter of environmental laws and restrictions. Mirco needs to innovate and overcome the restrictions. I’ve heard Germany is more strict than Mexico.

Yeah when it comes to engineering and quality German is not the way to go. Mexico that is the place you want to go. You here it all the time the prestige and quality of built Mexican. Even being sarcastic it was hard to type that out LOL.

#807 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

I miss that old Diamond plate. Apparently any chemical engineer today would laugh at me and tell me Diamond plate was garbage. Maybe I’m just being nostalgic.

They would tell you of a modern product that is better. It might take more time and cost more. It will have exact specifications for cure time and the correct mix. If you try and rush or cheap out and use less to save money it will chip and pool. It’s not hard to look at pinball and see that there are people making playfields that are far superior to anything from thirty years ago. They are even doing it in North America with all the restrictions.

Before people get upset for me making fun of Mexico. It was clearly tongue in cheek. Mexico is a developed nation that can make great products.

#809 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

So the only hurdles are more time, increased costs, and more exacting specifications and expertise needed. Got it.

I love that your being sarcastic and you actually believe low cost workers with lower specifications and no safety standards is the way to go. Thanks for the chuckle. I’ll let this thread get back to Steve.

#813 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Yeah, because Stern has become the industry leader and very profitable because they followed your business advice. Thanks for the chuckle. Now back to Steve.

Maybe the expertise at Stern is why they sorted out the playfield problems. It’s hard to follow your argument. So for Stern expertise and standards makes them the industry leader. JJP on the other hand needs to head to Mexico to take advantage of lower standards to improve their product. I don’t think you’re even making sense to yourself anymore.

#849 2 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

LZ is widely seen as bad game. Bad callouts and poor rules. The PF is just ok. Doesnt feel like SR. I love the band but the game falls short on so many levels. Its a 5 out of 10 at best. ACDC pro and le completely blow it away.
    SR should connect with JJP and take his designs to the next dimension, imo.

I don’t think any Steve Ritchie is a five but I agree AC/DC is a much better pin. AC/DC feels like his passion project. Star Trek he was riding high. For me Star Wars is where things started to slide, it felt like he wanted to do high speed and isn’t really a Star Wars guy. Black Knight he picks things up but at the same time I don’t think he got everything he wanted on that pin. Led Zeppelin feels like he is burnt out or maybe defeated that the license just doesnt leave enough to make the pin he wants. I really hope this change puts him in a position to be inspired and return to form. He is getting up there but he has time left for a masterpiece that I don’t think we would get if he was at Stern. I am not saying his pins are in any way bad he is in a class on his own comparing great pins to his other amazing pins.

#910 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Steve all smiles at JJP today!
    [quoted image]

Well they at least let him get inside and put his bag down Has he done an interviews yet?

#978 2 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

He made some pretty awesome games at Stern. AC/DC is a masterpiece!

Judging by the interview and trying to read between the lines, Star Trek may have been the last that he felt free to do what he wanted. He said in the interview that was the only game he got RGB LEDs and how important he thinks it is. He also talked about drop targets and how much he likes them and said his next title will have them. It was super obvious he has felt stifled for some time.

#981 2 years ago

His words, not mine but I probably miss quoted him, I think he said Star Trek was the only game he got to do full RGB LEDs. I am not that familiar with the different versions, I know my Star Trek Pro has partial did the premium get full? It's in the interview if you give it a listen.

#1020 2 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Loved the interview with Steve and I am excited about a new game with JJP. That being said, I don’t think Steve can blame Stern for his lack of pinball success or passion lately. I am a huge fan, but his last few games have been poorly executed and it had nothing to do with Stern’s BOM, rather it had everything to do with his layout design and how Steve chose to use the BOM. All of his most recent games were either layouts copied from a past game or point blank very poorly designed. I recently played Led Zeppelin pro and was shocked at how bad it was and I had the same reaction when I played Black Knight SOR pro. I still believe Steve has a few more great games in him. He just needs to remember that nothing can save a poor layout design, no amount of music, art, code or BOM.

I think you lack understanding of working in a creative, delivery driven environment for any extended period of time. It is insanely hard to be creative for any length of time. It is much much harder when you feel stifled or restricted. Musicians may have a period of creativity that last a couple months and then can ride that out for years. It's a whole other animal when you are the Golden Goose and feel locked in a cage and they still demand those golden eggs.

The audacity of telling Steve Ritchie with a lifetime in pinball what he needs to remember.

#1085 2 years ago

Steve is 71 and people still think he is chasing a pay cheque. At 71 you do what makes you happy. I don't know how old Lyman is but there is not always some grand conspiracy people retire and move on. If Stern didn't give Steve a piece of the pie he owes them nothing. People take this fanboy shit way too far.

#1099 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

He's also worked a lifetime in an industry w/o pensions. Some people gotta keep working simply because they can't afford to not work, not be without insurance, etc. We don't know his situation - but this ain't canada

I honestly never considered that a possibility, having to work at that age just doesn't even compute in my brain. Your whole system down there makes no sense to me.

#1120 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Ok he’s your friend. I get it. And I didn’t say he was a douche. Reading comprehension? But you have it completely backwards. He is the one that insulted me first and won’t let it die. I have tried multiple times to end this tangent. And you’re wrong about everything else. My arguments are dead on balls accurate. Now I consider the matter closed as it’s not relevant to Steve Ritchie’s move.

You are so far from dead on balls accurate, you are balls on forehead getting dunked on. Now that you are using, but he did it first, I realize you may actually be a little kid and not an adult. If you are in fact a kid, sorry didn't mean to gang up on you.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darscot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-ritchie-leaving-stern-for-jjp?tu=darscot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.