Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,188 posts
  • 261 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinFever
  • Topic is favorited by 31 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3247CD2B-FEA7-47EF-800A-1F7D84A6BF65.gif
    7641E997-6D12-4C7A-B098-5C9970529CD3.gif
    E2F49AFD-CC2E-45F1-A9E1-8E3F5BFC7651 (resized).jpeg
    236408805_1199699550549611_2501784493730357848_n (resized).jpg
    C1A1E3D5-4C5C-4B17-A924-8FBAA9EA09DB (resized).jpeg
    076CE60D-D9DF-413D-A228-C67DBE18EDD4 (resized).jpeg
    id4.gif
    Levi.jpg
    vonnied (resized).png
    vonnied1.png (resized).jpg
    06CFDC04-2462-4FEC-A29F-1737EA195526 (resized).png
    F7E6C6B8-CFFC-4FEA-92D5-F4229B72F080 (resized).png
    C6DBB8CD-E279-479B-BCA4-D6B7E3B20CFA (resized).jpeg
    Ice-Cold-FreezeOtto (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    226290492_4667540013264558_1955446924592228163_n (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider beechwood.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#305 2 years ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

What value did this whole thread serve that couldn't be had from a thread starting now with the official announcement? What did you gain from this?

5 days of something to pass the time as we wait for new pins to roll out?

#352 2 years ago

Is it just me, or shouldn't the "Welcome" pics they posted on FB be... oh, I don't know... not blurry? Nothing about those pictures screams "quality" or "professionalism".

My wife takes better pictures of our cats!

#356 2 years ago

Wait a minute... is that Rick Moranis with Steve Ritchie?

jjp (resized).jpgjjp (resized).jpg
    #425 2 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Stern had best be paying Keith and Lyman well.

Since Lyman isn't there anymore?

#476 2 years ago
    Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

I wonder if he's came up with a design that would be expensive, but he really wants to do, Stern wouldn't do it because of pricing, so he's going to JJP with a game already designed and they're wanting to increase production, i.e., it'll be out in a year?

Exactly, enough talk about what he's done. Blow us away with some NEW innovation that is lacking in today's pinball scene. The time is ripe!

#574 2 years ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

And you don't think it's weird to spread rumors and speculation about a person's personal business?

Actually, the first thing JJP and SR did was post video and pics of said event on a public FB page... so there's that. But yes, in general I do believe it's weird. Just like 99% of pinsiders.

#720 2 years ago

Everybody SUCKS!!!

Except SPOOKY. Spooky doesn't suck.

#725 2 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

No. They already have Lawlor, who pushed Diamond Plate.

Omg ... Give me diamond plate on every new release!!!

Crazy how good those play fields were over 20 years ago.....

#740 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballaddicted:

I call BS.
    Diamond plate dimpled just as much as the playfields today. Pinsiders have done dimple tests to prove it.
    I would rather believe SR.

From all the pins I have owned, all diamond plate were very smooth. My Ghostbusters looks like the surface of the moon. Just my experience (20 years in the hobby).

#826 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

There is not a SINGLE Stern game where I spend as much time in multiball (of any form) as Hobbit. Not even REMOTELY close. You can toss around words all day long and it's not going to change the simple facts.
    If you're playing book modes on their own, you're doing it for one reason...to see the callouts and animations. Which is fine. They put a lot of work into that. But it's a stupid, STUPID choice if you're going for score. There is absolutely no reason NOT to stack in Hobbit other than that, and if you choose to handicap your progress or score.....I'm not about to stop you, and I'll gladly take that W. I don't think you need to preach to me about Hobbit rules in that regard. I had -triple- the score of my nearest competitor at a league night this last tuesday, and in fact, I did have +2 mode balls because I intentionally delayed the MB start to start the book mode with the +2 balls BEFORE starting the multiball. I had Into the Fire on ball 1 without even intentionally going for it. The game IS entirely about multiball, whether you're using it to give yourself more chances to make shots in a mode, or playing the "main" multiballs. Period. Hobbit without that would be a complete piece of trash. I understand thematically why they made that choice, and I *really* wish that it wouldn't be used as a competitive game, EVER, because of it. It plays way the hell too long for that crap, specifically because getting into multiball in any form is a complete and total joke, and you're just as likely to start Beast Frenzy on accident as you are intentionally. I've had 3 ball games of Hobbit where I am not even remotely kidding where I've had SIX+ Beast Frenzy MBs. It's ridiculous. It should not take an hour and a half for a 4 player league game, or 45+ minutes for even Colin MacAlpine, his kid, me, and my kid, to play a 3 ball parent child finals where it was 1 ball parents, 1 ball kids (Mine was like NINE at the time, mind you), 1 ball split flipper....and yet it did.
    I actually enjoy a well playing Hobbit.....alone. But with other people? Hell no. Hard pass if I have a choice.
    I'm sure all that is adjustable in the settings, but I have no control over that in 99.99% of situations.
    Believe it or not, if they would just remove Jack from the company entirely, fix their QC issues, and get their pricing under control or at LEAST stop changing the prices mid-run and announcing 20 different versions of the same game just to milk more money out of people.....I'd probably be a JJP evangelist. But they seem determined to KEEP doing stupid things that have been bringing them down since WOZ. I was defending WOZ when it was not popular to do so. Dialed In has interesting things to it that I like, and Hobbit....as long as I'm in the mood to play a half hour or more of multiballs.....is to me the best example of how to do a video screen interface that's informative and visually appealing. That's one area where JJP leads the industry currently. None of Stern's LCD animations even remotely come close to the integration of video assets and interface design that Hobbit has.
    Stern's screens are like .MOV files in the era of 4k YouTube. Functional.....but not good to look at.

I only upvote this because of the effort you had to put into this enormous response. Kudos!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider beechwood.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-ritchie-leaving-stern-for-jjp?tu=beechwood and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.