Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,188 posts
  • 261 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinFever
  • Topic is favorited by 31 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3247CD2B-FEA7-47EF-800A-1F7D84A6BF65.gif
    7641E997-6D12-4C7A-B098-5C9970529CD3.gif
    E2F49AFD-CC2E-45F1-A9E1-8E3F5BFC7651 (resized).jpeg
    236408805_1199699550549611_2501784493730357848_n (resized).jpg
    C1A1E3D5-4C5C-4B17-A924-8FBAA9EA09DB (resized).jpeg
    076CE60D-D9DF-413D-A228-C67DBE18EDD4 (resized).jpeg
    id4.gif
    Levi.jpg
    vonnied (resized).png
    vonnied1.png (resized).jpg
    06CFDC04-2462-4FEC-A29F-1737EA195526 (resized).png
    F7E6C6B8-CFFC-4FEA-92D5-F4229B72F080 (resized).png
    C6DBB8CD-E279-479B-BCA4-D6B7E3B20CFA (resized).jpeg
    Ice-Cold-FreezeOtto (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    226290492_4667540013264558_1955446924592228163_n (resized).jpg
    There are 1,188 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 24.
    #1 2 years ago

This rumor has gained steam, and based on some people that I have spoken with, appears to be true. This is going to happen very soon.

Thoughts?

#2 2 years ago

It's easy to understand why Ritchie would want to go somewhere he could theoretically be working with a larger, or infinite BOM, since JJP is more than willing to ask the customer 9k+ for a game.

It won't be enough to save JJP, IMO. I don't care who they steal away....with the prices they ask for the level of issues and support they offer?

#3 2 years ago

How does this work? Do they get paid by game or are they actually salaried? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

This rumor has gained steam, and based on some people that I have spoken with, appears to be true. This is going to happen very soon.
    Thoughts?

I saw this on Facebook the other day and the OP didn't have anything to back it up. Having a hard time believing this is true but I could be wrong.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from insight75:

How does this work? Do they get paid by game or are they actually salaried? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I know for at least a little while, Ritchie was basically a contractor. If you look at some of his older games, they had the "SRP - Steve Ritchie Productions" logo on them as part of the contract deal. World Poker Tour, for example has his logo on the translite.

#6 2 years ago

I saw this posted on FB yesterday and thought it had already been debunked

#7 2 years ago

Would be happy if this is true. More JJP games would be great. They are loads of fun.

#8 2 years ago

If true steve must know his next game wont be until like 2023 at best as they are backlogged with GnR and then toy story.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Thoughts?

Having had the pleasure of meeting The King, I really cannot see this happening. It is just a rumor started at the University of Facebook.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Having had the pleasure of meeting The King, I really cannot see this happening. It is just a rumor started at the University of Facebook.

Sorry, but I promise you that FB is not the source of my information.

While my information is certainly not first hand, it is from a reliable source.

#11 2 years ago

I cant afford his games when they are new but if i live long enough......
    I own and look forward to owning more of his earlier work.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbrave77:

If true steve must know his next game wont be until like 2023 at best as they are backlogged with GnR and then toy story.

He could be working on Toy Story with Lawler or have a game designed and ready to go for JJP. For all we know his work on LZ must have been done months ago so plenty of time for designing future game(s).

Best wishes to Ritchie.

#13 2 years ago

I doubt it's true.

I do hope the bast for Steve in his continuing contributions to pinball !

LTG : )

#14 2 years ago

posted on Reddit not by me
    1 day ago
    Steve Ritchie leaving Stern Pinball

A reliable source is saying that Steve Ritchie is leaving Stern Pinball to join Jersey Jack, effective immediately. This is not public yet, but it will come out in the next day or two.

Thoughts on this move by JJP? How big of a void is this going to leave at Stern?

Not posting on Pinside for the purposes of anonymity, but feel free to share.
    67 comments
    93% Upvoted
    level 1
    rpheuts
    ·
    1d

Seems like a smart move on his part. I feel he'd get more creative freedom at JJP.

#15 2 years ago

If true, JJP is poaching the wrong designer.

#16 2 years ago

Steve left Atari for Williams.
    Steve left Pinball for Video games.
    Steve returns to William's pinball.
    Steve quits Willams.
    Steve hires for contract Stern games.
    Steve joins Stern full time.
    Stern Fires Steve.
    Steve returns to Stern.

So It's not inconceivable at all that Steve might want to join a company with a larger BOM, to finish his career on a high note.
    JJP does need another designer if they want to ramp up.
    JJP needs to get their playfield bullshit in order first though.

Steve is my favorite Designer, would love to see what he could do with a larger BOM.

#17 2 years ago

I mean...it makes sense. His last couple of games weren't huge sellers. He might be frustrated at Stern....Who knows?

#18 2 years ago

Steve designed Strange Brew JJP Widebody!
    I'm in.

#19 2 years ago

I think he will be able to spread his wings more and be more innovative in his designs at JJP.....so I think it could be interesting.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I’d give this 10 thumbs up.

I love a lot of Ritchie games and own a few right now but Keith Elwin would seem to have a greater upside.

#21 2 years ago

Are there any more dad rock themes left for him to copy and paste that T2 layout to?

#22 2 years ago

I think Steve should enjoy his retirement and bask in his pinball glory. I think JJP should focus on customer service and trouble free playfields. Steve's predictable layouts combined with JJP's chronic playfield issues leaves me completely underwhelmed.

#23 2 years ago

If true, this would screw up the underlying notion that JJP is starting to wrap it up. Good news IMO. More pinball always better. SR could deliver some nice flow to JJP too!

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Who is to say that JJP poached anyone? Maybe Ritchie reached out to JJP?

#25 2 years ago

Sometimes change is a good thing. Happens in every industry. It’s an interesting rumor, would be a good move for JJP and a big loss for stern.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Who is to say that JJP poached anyone? Maybe Ritchie reached out to JJP?

JJP could say no thanks?

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

He could be working on Toy Story with Lawler or have a game designed and ready to go for JJP. For all we know his work on LZ most have been done months ago so plenty of time for designing future game(s).
    Best wishes to Ritchie.

I'm pretty sure Lawlor and Steve hate each others guts. All those old williams guys do!

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

JJP could say no thanks?

You can't say no to the King!

#29 2 years ago

I’ve got 27 or so BW dmd pins and there isn’t an SR among them.

#30 2 years ago

He's a pretty sensitive guy...maybe the LZ criticism got to him and he knows he could have done better with a higher BOM.

He's only 71. Still has a lot of years to give to pinball.

#31 2 years ago

Problem is the “king of flow” (and speed) would be going to a company with soft flippers. ST and SM are flow beasts. BKSOR is empty but lightning fast.

Meanwhile I’ve played 4 different JJP’s in the past few months and thought they all were soft flipping games. Most recently was a NIB GnR and none of the shots feel that great (ramps especially).

If SR went to JJP, he’d need a full BoM and something better than wet noodles to feed the shots.

Edit - I should also say SR is my favorite designer and selling AC/DC Luci was the hardest decision I’ve had in the hobby.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Problem is the “king of flow” (and speed) would be going to a company with soft flippers. ST and SM are flow beasts. BKSOR is empty but lightning fast.
    Meanwhile I’ve played 4 different JJP’s in the past few months and thought they all were soft flipping games. Most recently was a NIB GnR and none of the shots feel that great (ramps especially).
    If SR went to JJP, he’d need a full BoM and something better than wet noodles to feed the shots.

Tell the ops to crank up the coil power. A JJP only flips soft if it's setup poorly, or intentionally cause the owner doesn't want the extra wear and tear.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from The_Pump_House:

I’ve got 27 or so BW dmd pins and there isn’t an SR among them.

Your collection says you have a T2 (And also a T3, but that was a Stern game). I just had to check.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

Tell the ops to crank up the coil power. A JJP only flips soft if it's setup poorly, or intentionally cause the owner doesn't want the extra wear and tear.

3 were on location. The NIB GnR I helped unbox is in a home setting. Still feels weak and unsatisfying on the shots. Power I think is pretty damn high.

#35 2 years ago

If true. I hope it's a step up for Steve.

And my old thinking of his masterpiece, the game he is most remembered for, is yet to come. Might be true.

LTG : )

#36 2 years ago

Yeah I can't see this unless SR is being forced to retire by Stern. If he's going to leave I'd much rather see him go to a company that I have respect for like American Pinball.

#37 2 years ago

Would have liked him at Spooky to do a game. His flow with the light show would have been new and fresh enough for me.

Wish him all the best!

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Yeah I can't see this unless SR is being forced to retire by Stern.

Unfortunately I can see that happening, his last two weren't the biggest sellers and now with a full house of designers at Stern. If is true I hope he left on his own decision...

#39 2 years ago

Sr is the king! And for the record he is still the best mortal kombat voice….

47E976B2-ED14-449F-84FB-737F3A2791C9 (resized).jpeg47E976B2-ED14-449F-84FB-737F3A2791C9 (resized).jpeg
    #40 2 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

All this does is make them flip harder for 10 minutes, then they turn into even wetter noodles. Their whole flipper system needs re-done.

#41 2 years ago

Love Steve! I will support him no matter where he goes! All Hail the King!

3418CBD8-5695-4C3D-BB14-9854BE1906FD (resized).jpeg3418CBD8-5695-4C3D-BB14-9854BE1906FD (resized).jpeg
    #42 2 years ago

maybe he's leaving Sterns payroll to work directly as a Kapow contract designer. just wild speculation on my part. the JJP rumor doesn't make a lot of sense, but who knows.

#43 2 years ago

I hope this is true...I love his games even the ones I don't want to own. Maybe this could rekindle his creativity.

#44 2 years ago

people gravitate to, and stay wherever they're given solid health insurance. use that as your gauge.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

JJP could say no thanks?

Listen, he may not have had a big hit for a while but this guy can still design with the best of them.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from DylanFan71:

I’d give this 10 thumbs up.
    I love a lot of Ritchie games and own a few right now but Keith Elwin would seem to have a greater upside.

Elwin (if Stern has half a brain) is likely under a non-compete clause, being a newer designer. You want to lock someone like that up for a good while when you're investing (and risking) so much on their performance.

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Elwin (if Stern has half a brain) is likely under a non-compete clause, being a newer designer. You want to lock someone like that up for a good while when you're investing (and risking) so much on their performance.

I think Elwin has shown he's not the risk.

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

Also, just don't take the subpar feeling flippers from me. This is from TWIP last week. I estimate over 500 votes and JJP gets like 7% overall.

Don't take it just from me... (resized).pngDon't take it just from me... (resized).png
    #49 2 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

All this does is make them flip harder for 10 minutes, then they turn into even wetter noodles. Their whole flipper system needs re-done.

I have never experienced this playing my WoZ or DI for hour long play sessions. On my STERN LOTR this happens all the time though.

I'm not saying you've never experienced it yourself but the flipper system JJP uses is identical to a Bally Williams mech so I'm not sure what is supposed to be improved on it. Unless we're now saying that classic design is flawed and responsible for all those weak flipping Bally Williams games?

#50 2 years ago

The best designer of all time going to JPP!! Yessir!!!

I believe it, I remember Jack telling me that he tried to sign him when he started, but Gary Stern already had him locked in.

Love this news, Stern can roll with the new guys like Elwin and JJP can harness SR’s brilliance with higher BOM. It’s a Win/Win

There are 1,188 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-ritchie-leaving-stern-for-jjp?hl=bud and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.