Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,188 posts
  • 261 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinFever
  • Topic is favorited by 31 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3247CD2B-FEA7-47EF-800A-1F7D84A6BF65.gif
    7641E997-6D12-4C7A-B098-5C9970529CD3.gif
    E2F49AFD-CC2E-45F1-A9E1-8E3F5BFC7651 (resized).jpeg
    236408805_1199699550549611_2501784493730357848_n (resized).jpg
    C1A1E3D5-4C5C-4B17-A924-8FBAA9EA09DB (resized).jpeg
    076CE60D-D9DF-413D-A228-C67DBE18EDD4 (resized).jpeg
    id4.gif
    Levi.jpg
    vonnied (resized).png
    vonnied1.png (resized).jpg
    06CFDC04-2462-4FEC-A29F-1737EA195526 (resized).png
    F7E6C6B8-CFFC-4FEA-92D5-F4229B72F080 (resized).png
    C6DBB8CD-E279-479B-BCA4-D6B7E3B20CFA (resized).jpeg
    Ice-Cold-FreezeOtto (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    226290492_4667540013264558_1955446924592228163_n (resized).jpg
    There are 1,188 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 24.
    #401 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

What, exactly, has Steve ever added to pinball in that way? The claim to fame of innovations on a Ritchie game is flashers (Okay, those are pretty widely used), magnet accelerator chains (Um.... HS2, No Fear, and Star Wars.....all Ritchie games..), and.....uh.....a laser pointer with a splitter filter on it?

Dual level PFs, Magna Saves, Front-side Kick backs like Yagov?

#402 2 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2021/08/02/steve-ritchie-joins-jjp/
    How did no one know that Lyman left Stern at beginning of the year?
    He leaves a much bigger hole at Stern than Ritchie leaving.
    It's in above article.

Holy crap, it sure is. CGC confirmed he’s not working for them - so he’s either really not involved with them at all, or he’s an independent contractor like Pat was for a while. Man, I am super sad Lyman is gone, we’ll never get a final update to the amazing EHOH!

Psyched about Steve at JJP though, that does seem to imply they are making some changes.

#403 2 years ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

Lol… could be.

Brett is the owner of Jersey Jack pinball.

#404 2 years ago

Guess who won and will benefit the most in this power move?

CE1D52C1-CD3B-4A08-806D-0E8F74D4A4A7 (resized).pngCE1D52C1-CD3B-4A08-806D-0E8F74D4A4A7 (resized).png
    #405 2 years ago
    Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Guess who won and will benefit the most in this power move?
    [quoted image]

Is that Eric? Can you tell him to get Keith to finish POTC please

#406 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Holy crap, it sure is. CGC confirmed he’s not working for them - so he’s either really not involved with them at all, or he’s an independent contractor like Pat was for a while. Man, I am super sad Lyman is gone, we’ll never get a final update to the amazing EHOH!
    Psyched about Steve at JJP though, that does seem to imply they are making some changes.

And AC/CD Oi Mania bug won't get fixed either

Huge loss for Stern losing Lyman.

#407 2 years ago

Steve might be a fan of the movie The Man With X-ray Eyes.

04742308-A745-4B70-A318-1C0777197E7D (resized).jpeg04742308-A745-4B70-A318-1C0777197E7D (resized).jpeg
    #408 2 years ago
    Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Steve might be a fan of the movie The Man With X-ray Eyes.
    [quoted image]

I’m down with that!

#409 2 years ago

Steve Ritchie has designed a lot of great games. Yet I always thought his master piece was coming. The game he'll always be remembered for. And now it can happen.

What a great day for pinball !

Go team JJP !

LTG : )

#410 2 years ago

So it’s very clear now, BTTF is going to be JJP now.

F1CB3911-7700-4DDA-ACD9-CDA4300FC108 (resized).jpegF1CB3911-7700-4DDA-ACD9-CDA4300FC108 (resized).jpeg
    #411 2 years ago

catthing2 (resized).jpgcatthing2 (resized).jpg
    #412 2 years ago

Whatever Steve's next game is going to be, I assure you it will be filled with bravado, swagger, machismo, and SPEED! Excited to see The King's next game, hopefully unencumbered thematically and mechanically, and filled with self deprecating humor that both brings back memories and reintroduces a new generation to the only guy that designs his own games, composes the music for them, and does the callouts!

Long live Steve!

#413 2 years ago

After reading the sicky sweet kiss ups from this thread, I should start selling these to everyone as they will need them
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#414 2 years ago

Mueller knee pads? From Deeproot?!?

#415 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Mueller knee pads? From Deeproot?!?

Robert needs something due to all the begging and groveling he's been doing to get his parts

#416 2 years ago

Innovating carpet burn snice 2017

#417 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I might give you the first one. It's pretty ubiquitous. That was a dumbass error on my part. For some reason I was thinking OG Iron Maiden was older than BK, but it's not even close, several years off. Oops.

If I ever see another magna save, it's too soon. That's the most useless crap gimmick in pinball, particularly with it being on a lockdown bar button instead of where your damn hand actually is. He actually made that WORSE. This is the worst application of a magnet in pinball if you ask me, as long as we aren't counting Magic Girl....

Kickbacks towards the player...I mean....I'm a fan, but it's not exactly mindblowing. I guess if I had been older than SIX when F-14 came out....it might've blown my mind. I could see that being pretty jarring for the status quo at the time.

I'll split the difference with you, overall. Still, I think he can do better than this stuff. I hope, anyways.

#418 2 years ago
    Quoted from thechakapakuni:

So it’s very clear now, BTTF is going to be JJP now.
    [quoted image]

I would love this so much.

#419 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Steve Ritchie has designed a lot of great games. Yet I always thought his master piece was coming. The game he'll always be remembered for. And now it can happen.
    What a great day for pinball !
    Go team JJP !

I am hoping for Mortal Kombat or Dune

#420 2 years ago

I'd love to see Ritchie do this one. A fast paced flowy game would fit the on-the-run kind of mentality of Dune without it getting so deep that it worries about the overall themes...which are impossible to convey in pinball.

#421 2 years ago

Stern had best be paying Keith and Lyman well.

#422 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinrookie:

Steve Ritchie could be helping JJP to design a next pinball machine and S.R can do the call out also.
    [quoted image]

Oh shit that’s right, this now means my dream of a MK Stern being released this year is toast, and not toasty

#423 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Lyman is gone, we’ll never get a final update to the amazing EHOH!

Stern has other coders. Lyman was gone for over three months before you got the last update. If you never get another one it's not just because Lyman left.

#424 2 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

CA60096F-6193-4024-88FA-12316AAF0B7C (resized).jpegCA60096F-6193-4024-88FA-12316AAF0B7C (resized).jpeg
    #425 2 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Since Lyman isn't there anymore?

#426 2 years ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Since Lyman isn't there anymore?

Oh snap.

#427 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Agree with you on each statement, but my comments were about bad code.

I like the code on DI and WW. If you are talking about information overload yet lacking clarity to the new player then yes i agree. I dont see an issue with DI's code. GnR has meh code, I prefer our Led Zeppelin Prem over GnR. Much better code and great shots. It is a really good Steve Ritchie game regardless if its a similar design to his other games.

#428 2 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Stern has other coders. Lyman was gone for over three months before you got the last update. If you never get another one it's not just because Lyman left.

Tell that to all the WoF owners.

#429 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:What, exactly, has Steve ever added to pinball in that way?

Wasn’t he the first person to use the modern day wireform ramps/invent them?

#430 2 years ago

As a reminder, people that are no longer fulltime employees of a company often do contract work for them.

#431 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Richie's shades are just god-awful.
    [quoted image]

Quoted from woody76:

agree. i feel embarrassed for him

They are actually pretty rad shades, its just a little strange to see them on an older guy like SR. Don't knock a guy who likes to stay stylish. Really though, it would be a lot cooler if they were pit vipers, or what the actual cool kids are wearing these days: Heatwaves

#432 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Literally the first time in 20 years I've heard that complaint.

This one however is on the money. One of the most boring games of all time. Would love that art & music on a different layout.

BK2K is still my favorite music/callout/SFX game of all time..but holy sh1t the game got boring fast. I'm sad I let mine go ONLY because of how cool it was (no way in hell it was staying with a hard limit of 7 games). I love my BKSOR Premium and I'm not sure where people are coming from, saying there's nothing to do. Not sure what more you'd want to it, and I think the upper is just fine. I've not played a pro but I can see that being a BRUTAL bastard just because the upper does kind of give you a break from the speed..but is that "better"? Eh, idk. To me, it's certainly "wrong" for a BK game.

FWIW I loved the comment a few pages back about High Speed. To me, High Speed represents one of the most pure, simple but not boring games I can think of. Cool music, great flow, killer speed (mine has a hardtop, and I think it's the PERFECT game for it)..it's just a cool ass game. Sure, there are tons of "better" games, but sometimes it's fun to just knock a few games out on a speed game with flow..and that's SR. But at a certain point you can only innovate so much when that's your schtick.

Just my 2 cents, I'm not expecting everyone to agree with me. My BKSOR and High Speed aren't going anywhere anytime soon..

#433 2 years ago

Steve's been getting lazy with his layouts. Time to put your thinking cap on at JJp and fill up that BOM. Steve if you are reading this. STOP making your games have single exit pop bumper clusters.

#434 2 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

They are actually pretty rad shades, its just a little strange to see them on an older guy like SR. Don't knock a guy who likes to stay stylish. Really though, it would be a lot cooler if they were pit vipers, or what the actual cool kids are wearing these days: Heatwaves

The golden rule of fashion if you were around the first time it was cool you are too damn old when it comes around again. Does no one at JJP have a kid that could have dressed these guys for a picture.

#435 2 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

It’s almost impossible to pick up from someone else’s code in a cost-effective manner. That game is done unless Lyman is now a 1099 contractor and Gary pays him based on sales or something. Kind of sucks that they are doing a new run but likely no new code.

#436 2 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Anyone can be right with enough guesses and covering every possibility. Sad.

Come on man.

To say that this was nothing more than a wild guess is beyond ridiculous

“What wild ass guess can I make today? I know! Steve Ritchie is leaving Stern. What else? How about that he’s not just leaving Stern but he’s going to the competition at JJP!? Yeah, I’m going with that one! Fingers crossed that my wild ass guess that I have no basis for is right!”

#437 2 years ago

Wow I guess the times of changed around here, I made a lighthearted comment about Steve’s sunglasses being out of date three years ago in a post and got hammered for it. Apparently Steve has a degenerative eye condition, I had no idea at the time..

1F583CDF-C872-4FAA-80E4-685D067F1847 (resized).jpeg1F583CDF-C872-4FAA-80E4-685D067F1847 (resized).jpeg
    #438 2 years ago

Im no K booster or anything but obviously that wasn’t a WAG. I can’t believe people are still putting “Sad.” on comments.

#439 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Im no K booster or anything but obviously that wasn’t a WAG. I can’t believe people are still putting “Sad.” on comments.

Exactly

Not to mention that there were plenty of other people who had the info. I started this thread based on a source that had nothing to do with him. But it confirmed what he was saying was accurate

#440 2 years ago
    Quoted from Blindseer:

I like the code on DI and WW. If you are talking about information overload yet lacking clarity to the new player then yes i agree. I dont see an issue with DI's code. GnR has meh code, I prefer our Led Zeppelin Prem over GnR. Much better code and great shots. It is a really good Steve Ritchie game regardless if its a similar design to his other games.

DI has unbalanced scoring, no-goal multiballs, and Bob is a side part of the game that can be pretty much ignored. My point is that Lyman would never code a game this way, which is a good thing. I hope jjp picks him up as he'd be far more valuable than "the king" of the fan layout. That said, I'm stoked to see Lawlor and Richie under the same roof. Good games will be coming.

#441 2 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

Wow I guess the times of changed around here,...

I imagine there are far fewer active mods thes days than 3 years ago.

#442 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Also motorized cannons, and beacons if I’m not mistaken.
    I think he also had something to do w/ the b/w style playfield slide out mech for servicing.

#443 2 years ago
    Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

BK2K is still my favorite music/callout/SFX game of all time..but holy sh1t the game got boring fast. I'm sad I let mine go ONLY because of how cool it was (no way in hell it was staying with a hard limit of 7 games). I love my BKSOR Premium and I'm not sure where people are coming from, saying there's nothing to do. Not sure what more you'd want to it, and I think the upper is just fine. I've not played a pro but I can see that being a BRUTAL bastard just because the upper does kind of give you a break from the speed..but is that "better"? Eh, idk. To me, it's certainly "wrong" for a BK game.
    FWIW I loved the comment a few pages back about High Speed. To me, High Speed represents one of the most pure, simple but not boring games I can think of. Cool music, great flow, killer speed (mine has a hardtop, and I think it's the PERFECT game for it)..it's just a cool ass game. Sure, there are tons of "better" games, but sometimes it's fun to just knock a few games out on a speed game with flow..and that's SR. But at a certain point you can only innovate so much when that's your schtick.
    Just my 2 cents, I'm not expecting everyone to agree with me. My BKSOR and High Speed aren't going anywhere anytime soon..

I agree, BKSOR just may be my fav pin of all time. Knows itself and what it wants the user to feel and accomplish and executes perfectly. A true player’s-pin that always yells one more game; actually the family fav in my house hold of 7. On the opposite spectrum is something like JP2, another player’s-pin that knows what it wants to be and executes well. However I’d state they are more pins “like” JP2’s stop and go sniper style, with great flow if you can shoot, than the brutality (and flow!) of BKSOR. That all being said, I’d say JP2 is the more difficult game; you’ll rarely ever accidentally hit a needed shot. But for adrenaline, outside of IMDN and IM, BKSOR nails it and is still my fav out of the three and going no where. A perfect SR pin.

#444 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

And rollover lane change activated by flippers first seen on Firepower, almost standard on most games now.

Seriously, are people doubting the level of innovation Steve brought to pinball? C'mon, he's known as The King for a reason. LONG LIVE THE KING!!

The KING at TPF 2016 (resized).pngThe KING at TPF 2016 (resized).png
    #445 2 years ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

Also motorized cannons, and beacons if I’m not mistaken.
    I think he also had something to do w/ the b/w style playfield slide out mech for servicing.

Also video modes. Sry guys I’m a Ritchie fan, these things just keep popping in my head. Stadium style spotlights we’re his though not widely used.

#446 2 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Lyman is already gone - maybe even to JJP?

#447 2 years ago
    Quoted from chickenscratch:

I agree, BKSOR just may be my fav pin of all time. Knows itself and what it wants the user to feel and accomplish and executes perfectly. A true player’s-pin that always yells one more game; actually the family fav in my house hold of 7. On the opposite spectrum is something like JP2, another player’s-pin that knows what it wants to be and executes well. However I’d state they are more pins “like” JP2’s stop and go sniper style, with great flow if you can shoot, than the brutality (and flow!) of BKSOR. That all being said, I’d say JP2 is the more difficult game; you’ll rarely ever accidentally hit a needed shot. But for adrenaline, outside of IMDN and IM, BKSOR nails it and is still my fav out of the three and going no where. A perfect SR pin.

I don't know that I feel quite THAT lovey-dovey about BKSOR but I'm adequately pleased with it being in my collection, and for the time being AND into the foreseeable future I have very little intention of letting it go. Hell, I'll probably still be trying to beat the damn thing 5+ years down the road.

I like how you summed it up: "Knows itself and what it wants the user to feel and accomplish and executes perfectly". My only complaint about BKSOR, really, is that the callouts are super cheesy. BK2K has badass callouts that just sound...good. BKSOR is cheese deluxe. It's fine, but if I'm knocking it for anything, it's that. I'd love to own an IM but my buddy has one 60 miles from me and he's not getting rid of his...so I'm okay with not buying one of my own. I plan on sticking with my moderns as Metallica Premium, BKSOR Premium, and Tron Pro. Two (HS, BKSOR) of my 7 are Ritchie gems (IMO) and I've owned a few other Ritchie pins that were easier to let loose of..although F14 will always hold a special place in my heart. So, without further adieu, I'm lobbing my vote for F-35 as mentioned several pages back. That needs to be his masterpiece game. I want to play that!

#448 2 years ago

Steve's High Speed had a lot of 'firsts' - though to be honest I'm not sure if these were all Steve's ideas, or someone else at Williams at the time.

First pinball to play a complete song.
    First Williams pin game to use alpha-numeric displays.
    First use of Auto Percentaging in a solid-state game (for replay scores).
    First Jackpot available only during multiball.
    First use of broken switch compensation programming.
    First SS game with operator report.
    First to have a multiball jackpot that would carry-over from game to game.

#449 2 years ago

Had Lyman news is a bit of a shocker given it was apparently 8 months ago ?

#450 2 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

Steve's High Speed had a lot of 'firsts' - though to be honest I'm not sure if these were all Steve's ideas, or someone else at Williams at the time.
    First pinball to play a complete song.
    First Williams pin game to use alpha-numeric displays.
    First use of Auto Percentaging in a solid-state game (for replay scores).
    First Jackpot available only during multiball.
    First use of broken switch compensation programming.
    First SS game with operator report.
    First to have a multiball jackpot that would carry-over from game to game.

Those seem like some of his later stuff, didn't he create multiball and lane changing with Firepower.

There are 1,188 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-ritchie-leaving-stern-for-jjp/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.