Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,188 posts
  • 261 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinFever
  • Topic is favorited by 31 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3247CD2B-FEA7-47EF-800A-1F7D84A6BF65.gif
    7641E997-6D12-4C7A-B098-5C9970529CD3.gif
    E2F49AFD-CC2E-45F1-A9E1-8E3F5BFC7651 (resized).jpeg
    236408805_1199699550549611_2501784493730357848_n (resized).jpg
    C1A1E3D5-4C5C-4B17-A924-8FBAA9EA09DB (resized).jpeg
    076CE60D-D9DF-413D-A228-C67DBE18EDD4 (resized).jpeg
    id4.gif
    Levi.jpg
    vonnied (resized).png
    vonnied1.png (resized).jpg
    06CFDC04-2462-4FEC-A29F-1737EA195526 (resized).png
    F7E6C6B8-CFFC-4FEA-92D5-F4229B72F080 (resized).png
    C6DBB8CD-E279-479B-BCA4-D6B7E3B20CFA (resized).jpeg
    Ice-Cold-FreezeOtto (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    226290492_4667540013264558_1955446924592228163_n (resized).jpg
    There are 1,188 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 24.
    #201 2 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Haha what? Just in the past decade AC/DC, ST, GoT, SW and LZ are all fantastic games (the premiums and LEs, not the pros). Not saying his originals are bad, because they are not. The bad SR games are the ones that have the main feature torn out. SW pro has no Hyper ramp. BKSoR Pro no upper playfield. GoT Pro same thing. And so on...

This is a good point...I would also say the low BOM may also be a culprit. Look at ST, or SM..they're both great layouts but suffer from one thing or another that had nothing to do with Steve's design

#202 2 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

the only ways Steve comes out of Stern is in coffin shaped cabinet. he makes epic games and is an awesome guy!

Have any of you actually asked him what he thinks of the competition? Not much is the answer, but toss enough money at him and who knows???

#203 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yeah...they're only clunky if you can't hit the shots.

I like how this is always the argument when people say a game is clunky, yet I've seen national-class (The only reason I'm not saying WORLD class is because I can't remember if I've ever seen Colin on WOZ before) players struggle with WOZ in tournaments and league many many times.

#204 2 years ago

The best flow that WOZ has is from the upper playfield with the house. Haha

#205 2 years ago

Not every game needs to insanely fast to be considered good. There's plenty of high flow games that are not well regarded. Sometimes non stop action gets dull and often prevents moments in the game from occurring. Personally I think its nice to have a blend of flow and stop and go.

With WOZ there's so many different things to shoot at including a variety of targets, shots that drop into / pass through an area, and 2 upper playfields with their own shots (1 having a hidden shot behind the castle doors). The player can focus on different areas of the game that correspond to specific goals. Want to go after Crystal Ball modes, go for hitting the BALL standups. Want to go for Munchkin modes, then hit the RAINBOW targets to light the upper left mini playfield. Those are are just a couple of the areas and on top of that you can then stack the Crystal Ball and Munchkin modes with other modes for bigger points. Attempting to earn the 4 emeralds throughout a game is a lot of fun as it acts a reward feature for completing goals, something very few games do. Hell, then if you even get the 4 emeralds and reach the Wicked Witch wizard modes you can also go after the 10 or whatever diamonds in the game to reach the super wizard mode.

What I mentioned above is the fun of WOZ and I wouldn't substitute a mini playfield or a mech for another ramp just to add more "flow". What JJP did with WOZ is incredible and hell the game is still receiving code updates 8 years later. WOZ is a modern TZ in my opinion, is loaded with fun toys / mechs, has a ton to shoot for, and has one of the deepest rulesets in pinball. I'm sure some people will disagree and that's cool...but I'll go to my grave saying those things lol.

#206 2 years ago

I’m going to give my counterpoint to your well thought out point you have made in your evaluation of WoZ

WoZ blows.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Not every game needs to insanely fast to be considered good. There's plenty of high flow games that are not well regarded. Sometimes non stop action gets dull and often prevents moments in the game from occurring. Personally I think its nice to have a blend of flow and stop and go.
    With WOZ there's so many different things to shoot at including a variety of targets, shots that drop into / pass through an area, and 2 upper playfields with their own shots (1 having a hidden shot behind the castle doors). The player can focus on different areas of the game that correspond to specific goals. Want to go after Crystal Ball modes, go for hitting the BALL standups. Want to go for Munchkin modes, then hit the RAINBOW targets to light the upper left mini playfield. Those are are just a couple of the areas and on top of that you can then stack the Crystal Ball and Munchkin modes with other modes for bigger points. Attempting to earn the 4 emeralds throughout a game is a lot of fun as it acts a reward feature for completing goals, something very few games do. Hell, then if you even get the 4 emeralds and reach the Wicked Witch wizard modes you can also go after the 10 or whatever diamonds in the game to reach the super wizard mode.
    What I mentioned above is the fun of WOZ and I wouldn't substitute a mini playfield or a mech for another ramp just to add more "flow". What JJP did with WOZ is incredible and hell the game is still receiving code updates 8 years later. WOZ is a modern TZ in my opinion, is loaded with fun toys / mechs, has a ton to shoot for, and has one of the deepest rulesets in pinball. I'll go to my grave saying those things lol.

#207 2 years ago

so, has anything been confirmed or is the flow thread now?

#208 2 years ago

flow (resized).jpgflow (resized).jpg

#209 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Fast brutal games always have a spot in my house. I’ll never own BKSOR prem, but I’d love to have a pro for a while.

Would you own a Bram Stokers Dracula? I'm the same way with my games.

#210 2 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

While we wait in anticipation, let’s move things to a more positive light while staying on topic. One line answers.
    What’s your favorite Steve Ritchie game?
    Me: Game of Thrones

AC/DC.

Steve Ritchie is a living legand. I love the man.

#211 2 years ago

The production schedule at JJP doesn't support 3 designers.

#212 2 years ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Would you own a Bram Stokers Dracula? I'm the same way with my games.

For sure. But I’d never use it in a tournament, so that why I really haven’t pulled the trigger. But it’s definitely a fun casual game.

#213 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I like how this is always the argument when people say a game is clunky, yet I've seen national-class (The only reason I'm not saying WORLD class is because I can't remember if I've ever seen Colin on WOZ before) players struggle with WOZ in tournaments and league many many times.

Yep. But I was just joking. Hence the

#214 2 years ago

Yep and who cares.

#215 2 years ago

or who turds

#216 2 years ago

I have been known to do so now and then.

#217 2 years ago
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    I guess we can all speculate at this point but it seems highly unlikely based on the conversation so far... regarding Steve that is.

#218 2 years ago
    Quoted from alpha70:

Yep and who cares.

You do. 104 posts in 7 years, and you cared enough to post twice about it.

#219 2 years ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

Steve left Atari for Williams.
    Steve left Pinball for Video games.
    Steve returns to William's pinball.
    Steve quits Willams.
    Steve hires for contract Stern games.
    Steve joins Stern full time.
    Stern Fires Steve.
    Steve returns to Stern.
    So It's not inconceivable at all that Steve might want to join a company with a larger BOM, to finish his career on a high note.
    JJP does need another designer if they want to ramp up.
    JJP needs to get their playfield bullshit in order first though.
    Steve is my favorite Designer, would love to see what he could do with a larger BOM.

If I saw Steve Ritchie at a show, I would (try to) get the skinny…

Steve Ritchie is awesome, I would try to steal him away from stern if I made pinball. I hope he enjoys his life now. Every moment.

Why couldn’t his talents be in both places? Two paychecks.

#220 2 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

Why couldn’t his talents be in both places? Two paychecks.

Non-compete clause.

You're not going to allow someone that the success of your business depends on at a high level to work for a direct competitor.

#221 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

But I’d never use it in a tournament,

Why is BSD a bad tournament game? I'll never forget that epic Johannes / Daniele IFPA world championship final match.

#222 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Why is BSD a bad tournament game? I'll never forget that epic Johannes / Daniele IFPA world championship final match.

Seems you forgot how the game shit the bed during that match. Haha

Very great match though.

The game just has way too many super weird bugs that just seem to happen randomly.

#223 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Seems you forgot how the game shit the bed during that match. Haha

I guess so!

Quoted from chuckwurt:

The game just has way too many super weird bugs that just seem to happen randomly.

Gotcha, makes sense.

#224 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm sure some people will disagree and that's cool...but I'll go to my grave saying those things lol.

Yup we know

Quoted from metallik:

Dude's gonna go to his grave defending JJP, hope he gets an appropriate inscription.

Did I call it or what?

Also: WOZ sucks.

#225 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Why is BSD a bad tournament game?

Quoted from chuckwurt:

I use it regularly. Bugs rarely show up but the auto-launch can be temperamental. If your optos are flaky and it loses track of a ball all bets are off.

The upside is ball times are so short the odds are none of your players will have time for the game to misbehave.

#226 2 years ago

Could a JJP playfield hold up to a Steve Ritchie design? They've never seen speed like that before.

That would be great f-14 is one of his best. Just imagine internet connectivity and playing linked NBA Fastbreak style.

#227 2 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I use it regularly. Bugs rarely show up but the auto-launch can be temperamental. If your optos are flaky and it loses track of a ball all bets are off.
    The upside is ball times are so short the odds are none of your players will have time for the game to misbehave.

There’s just so many games that are rock solid for tournaments with short ball times. Not worth the risk for me. Now if I could just get my Grand Prix to stop taking a dump during tournaments. Haha.

#228 2 years ago

Can you spot all seven differences?
    The King of Clunk.pngThe King of Clunk.png

#229 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Non-compete clause.
    You're not going to allow someone that the success of your business depends on at a high level to work for a direct competitor.

Who knows how this shit works. Seems like Dennis Nordman is always designing 6 games for 4 different companies at the same time.

#230 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

don't feed the trolls

Now taking full advantage of the ignore feature, the peace and quiet is nice It's a great time saver as well, the ignored users can now argue and throw insults at a brick wall.

#231 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Who knows how this shit works. Seems like Dennis Nordman is always designing 6 games for 4 different companies at the same time.

Occam's Razor.

#232 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Can you spot all seven differences?

They should be Jersey cops, stuck in traffic at the George Washington Bridge for a week.

GWB_Bridgegate_entrance_Sept_2016 (resized).jpgGWB_Bridgegate_entrance_Sept_2016 (resized).jpg
    #233 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Non-compete clause.

Depends who has the better negotiating position to fight to keep that out or not.

Most of the big names have worked as independent contractors who were not exclusive at some point or another. Many, like artists and roles like David H continue to be independent and take work with multiple manufacturers.

#234 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Weird bugs? My Drac was used in the tournament at CAX for several years and never had any issues. I got more compliments on that game than any other game I brought. It had upgraded flipper coils (11629's) so we jacked it up to 7 degrees and it played wicked fast. It was also regularly used in league play without issues at the location I had it at.

BSD is an awesome tourney game as long as you have all your optos and switches working properly. Pretty cool when you consider that it only had one software revision. It doesn't have a lot of different strategies, but everyone loves Drac.

#235 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Depends who has the better negotiating position to fight to keep that out or not.
    Most of the big names have worked as independent contractors who were not exclusive at some point or another. Many, like artists and roles like David H continue to be independent and take work with multiple manufacturers.

I'm only talking about someone on Ritchie's level. The guy is easily the most well known pinball designer, for better or worse. There's plenty of reasons Stern WOULD release him from a non-compete, or why he might still be working under per-game contracts. It's pretty well known that Steve and Gary don't always get along.......but I'm just presenting the possibility that at some point he may have stopped being per-game/contract and signed a non-compete that Stern doesn't want to release him for competitive reasons, and he may have to wait out whatever term that is to go elsewhere, even if he isn't actually doing work for Stern.

*edit* Changed "them" to "Stern" for clarity on that last part.

#236 2 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Weird bugs? My Drac was used in the tournament at CAX for several years and never had any issues. I got more compliments on that game than any other game I brought. It had upgraded flipper coils (11629's) so we jacked it up to 7 degrees and it played wicked fast. It was also regularly used in league play without issues at the location I had it at.
    BSD is an awesome tourney game as long as you have all your optos and switches working properly. Pretty cool when you consider that it only had one software revision. It doesn't have a lot of different strategies, but everyone loves Drac.

I'm sure your drac is awesome and everybody loves it and you get lots of compliments and your league loves it too and it's the best but game is famous for getting confused due to the complicated ball locking issues.

Don't take it personally bro!

#237 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I'm only talking about someone on Ritchie's level. The guy is easily the most well known pinball designer, for better or worse. There's plenty of reasons Stern WOULD release him from a non-compete, or why he might still be working under per-game contracts. It's pretty well known that Steve and Gary don't always get along.......but I'm just presenting the possibility that at some point he may have stopped being per-game/contract and signed a non-compete that Stern doesn't want to release him for competitive reasons, and he may have to wait out whatever term that is to go elsewhere, even if he isn't actually doing work for them.

It's not Ritchie's first time around the block.. he's probably in a strong enough position to avoid any non-compete that exceeds his actual employment time (so no moonlighting, but probably less/if-any restrictions on post employment). But its all speculation because there are really no rules here - its all about what the two parties agreed to. Non-compete enforcement in Illinois seems to have pretty reasonable standards. I would expect a relationship like Ritchie's to be an employment contract and not just a rank and file employee offer.

As you say - its a possibility - but none of us know AFAIK what the real deal there is.

#238 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

It's not Ritchie's first time around the block.. he's probably in a strong enough position to avoid any non-compete that exceeds his actual employment time (so no moonlighting, but probably less/if-any restrictions on post employment). But its all speculation because there are really no rules here - its all about what the two parties agreed to. Non-compete enforcement in Illinois seems to have pretty reasonable standards. I would expect a relationship like Ritchie's to be an employment contract and not just a rank and file employee offer.
    As you say - its a possibility - but none of us know AFAIK what the real deal there is.

Hey we all love Steve and he cranks out the playfields but let's face it, he's old and expensive and isn't exactly setting the world afire with his layouts lately, and if he really wants to leave Stern...maybe they wouldn't exactly be upset to see him go?

We are talking salary cap here...you see tons of aging, expensive NFL players with big contracts walk because their team wants to move on and another team wants to make a big splash and sell some tickets.

That could well be what's happening here. JJP can win the week with a press release and get people talking about something besides disintegrating playfields for a few days, and Stern could shed some salary cap and keep their youth movement going at the same time.

And everybody's happy! It does happen every now and then.

#239 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

It's not Ritchie's first time around the block.. he's probably in a strong enough position to avoid any non-compete that exceeds his actual employment time

That's a fair point. Might be why he was contract in the first place for all we know. Didn't want to risk getting stuck there with Gary.

#240 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

...game is famous for getting confused due to the complicated ball locking issues.

It's not complicated. As long as the game passes Mist test in diags without errors, it should be fine in tournament play. If you pimp it out with LEDs that interfere with optos, that will cause problems. Please don't denigrate a fantastic tournament game. If your game is having lock issues, find a better tech. It's not the software causing your errors.

But don't believe me. Jim Belsito was the head tournament tech at CAX for years. He liked my Drac because we had to do very little to prepare it for tournament play. Ask Jim if Drac is tourney worthy next time you see him.

#241 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

...game is famous for getting confused due to the complicated ball locking issues.

Here's what PAPA game notes say. No mention of ball lock issues.

Dracula is a game where rhythm is very important. Flipper hop on this game can be devastating to players, and it should be fixed or avoided at all cost. Turning off the ball-saver on Dracula will also turn off the ball saver during multiball. Considering the short ball times on this game at factory settings, and the fact the plunge and subsequent randomized pop bumper action are out of the players’ control, Directors are encouraged to leave the players a ball saver. If available, directors are encouraged to use the custom 500k mystery award rom.

https://replayfoundation.org/papa/learning-center/director-guide/game-notes/

#242 2 years ago

Okay, we get it, BSD is your favorite game.

Frankly, I hope I never see it in another tournament ever again...at least not until I get to own one for a while.

#243 2 years ago

I think it’s really important everybody has a bsd in their tournaments.

sttng too, to bring it back to topic.

#244 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Okay, we get it, BSD is your favorite game.

Definitely not my favorite game, but it's a little surprising to see experienced tournament players suggesting it's not tournament worthy. PAPA used it a lot of years.

Quoted from Frax:

Frankly, I hope I never see it in another tournament ever again...at least not until I get to own one for a while.

The reason people like it is because it's fast and there's essentially only one strategy. Go big (triple stack), or go home. Double stack may get you into the playoffs, but the triple stack will win you the trophy.

Who's this Steve Ricci guy everybody's talking about?

#245 2 years ago

So let’s say this silly rumor that can’t possibly be real turns out to be true....

Gonna be fun watching the JJP fanboys who have been trashing steve and Zep all year do a complete whiplash.

I hope those guys are working on the material! You don’t want to just try to come up with something this important off the cuff.

#246 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So let’s say this silly rumor that can’t possibly be real turns out to be true....

If true, I'd like to see him design standard size playfield games for JJP. Widebody games add work for everyone, take longer to design and build and increases costs. Steve told me he prefers to design standard size games. Get back to normal size, tone down complexity of rules, get games out faster and lower prices.

Oh, and give the flippers some actual power. It's not enough to barely be able to make every shot on the game. Not satisfying at all.

#247 2 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Definitely not my favorite game, but it's a little surprising to see experienced tournament players suggesting it's not tournament worthy. PAPA used it a lot of years.

Hey, don't misstate what I said! I never said it wasn't worthy. I said I hope I never see it again. That game is a BITCH. Also, I don't like super-optimized scoring games like that. Me learning the best way to get points on a game is basically the death knell in my collection. Once I get in that mindset that I need to do things in a very specific way every single time, I get bored.

Like...even if I find a BSD...it won't stay long, because I'll just be pissed every time I don't get a good bats......like in tournaments.

#248 2 years ago

A jjp fan layout and maybe a sewer and physical lock could be cool. I doubt Richie is going there though.

I'm not a huge fan of his recent designs. Love sttng, but if I want fast, smooth flow, I go to Borg's iron man. Way better.

Interestingly, both titles include the Borg...

#249 2 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Weird bugs? My Drac was used in the tournament at CAX for several years and never had any issues.

Lucky you. I’ve seen too many to want to take the risk. Everything with the switches and optos needs to be working flawlessly. Never seen a game that suffers so much if a switch or two are acting up.

#250 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Lucky you. I’ve seen too many to want to take the risk. Everything with the switches and optos needs to be working flawlessly. Never seen a game that suffers so much if a switch or two are acting up.

That's a bummer. I miss my BSD. I really only want tourney ready games in my lineup.

There are 1,188 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-ritchie-leaving-stern-for-jjp/page/5?hl=manadams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.