Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,188 posts
  • 261 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinFever
  • Topic is favorited by 31 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3247CD2B-FEA7-47EF-800A-1F7D84A6BF65.gif
    7641E997-6D12-4C7A-B098-5C9970529CD3.gif
    E2F49AFD-CC2E-45F1-A9E1-8E3F5BFC7651 (resized).jpeg
    236408805_1199699550549611_2501784493730357848_n (resized).jpg
    C1A1E3D5-4C5C-4B17-A924-8FBAA9EA09DB (resized).jpeg
    076CE60D-D9DF-413D-A228-C67DBE18EDD4 (resized).jpeg
    id4.gif
    Levi.jpg
    vonnied (resized).png
    vonnied1.png (resized).jpg
    06CFDC04-2462-4FEC-A29F-1737EA195526 (resized).png
    F7E6C6B8-CFFC-4FEA-92D5-F4229B72F080 (resized).png
    C6DBB8CD-E279-479B-BCA4-D6B7E3B20CFA (resized).jpeg
    Ice-Cold-FreezeOtto (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    226290492_4667540013264558_1955446924592228163_n (resized).jpg
    There are 1,188 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 24.
    #51 2 years ago

I'd say Mr Ritchie is the highest earner in the industry. He's a legend, and legends are very expensive. If I was Stern I'd be cutting him loose and using his salary to hire new talent. That's a LOT of money to go shopping with, and it could get them a lot of new talent and fresh ideas.

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

the flipper system JJP uses is identical to a Bally Williams mech

It's a WMS mech but not driven by a fliptronics board. I was so looking forward to the return of WPC-style flippers back when they announced WOZ, but they screwed something up and my WOZ flippers more or less sucked. They worked ok after rebuilding them to have absolutely zero binding at all, but they never had the snap and power of fliptronics systems, and they would fade pretty badly during a long game (and WOZ had more than it's share of long games). Fans helped a bit but still ehh. Every JJP I've played since has felt the same, up to and including GnR.

OTOH, my 2003-build LOTR with Terry's special coils and fans works great, even on long games. The flippers still feel like whitestar and IMHO not as good as fliptronics, but still much better than WOZ.

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from koops:

I think Elwin has shown he's not the risk.

Which Stern would know before his first game....how? If someone like Ritchie with 40 years of experience can make BKSOR and LZ....everyone is a risk to some degree, plus Stern had to invest in Elwin to get him up to speed on all their tools and procedures. Non-competes are extremely common in niche markets with a high skill floor like this.

C'mon. Use that pink stuff in your skull. The only way what you said makes sense in response to what I said is if Stern released him from a non-compete early. Why would they do that?

#54 2 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

I have never experienced this playing my WoZ or DI for hour long play sessions. On my STERN LOTR this happens all the time though.
    I'm not saying you've never experienced it yourself but the flipper system JJP uses is identical to a Bally Williams mech so I'm not sure what is supposed to be improved on it. Unless we're now saying that classic design is flawed and responsible for all those weak flipping Bally Williams games?

Terrible analogy because I am a dunce when it comes to electronics (but a degreed mechanical engineer) but if you and I had the same car with Bose sound systems, but you listened to AM radio and I listened to XM, our listening experience would vary greatly.

Basically, the flippers are the same mechanically, but what drives and sends pulses to the flippers can vary. I think that’s why some rate B/W so much higher.

#55 2 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

the return of WPC-style flippers

Ha, right? I remember how big a deal that seemed to me at the time that they were "Using Williams parts!" Little did I know at the time that the electronics matters just as much as the physical parts. Oops.

#56 2 years ago

Yep. I still don't know how they managed to make them worse than WPC, but damn if they didn't find a way.

I'd gladly pay $100 more for any new game that ships with Capcom flippers and similar electronics. Those flippers are the one thing I miss from BBB. Still got PM, BS and FF here so I didn't go cold-turkey at least...

#57 2 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

He could be working on Toy Story with Lawler or have a game designed and ready to go for JJP. For all we know his work on LZ must have been done months ago so plenty of time for designing future game(s).
    Best wishes to Ritchie.

Oh he could have a design done right now and it wouldnt come out until 2023 with JJP. By the time they are done with GnR production and Toy Story itll be around then. Unless they really do up production like was stated. I could see Ritchie helping Lawler but I doubt Lawler thinks he needs the help!

#58 2 years ago

If he switched he wouldn't be able to make a new game for at least 3 years out? They have toy story and 2 other titles in the burner and their production is one game every 18 months.I would be surprised if he switched, or on the surface I wouldn't recommend it if he actually wants to create games.JJp already has two great designers{Eric and Pat} and not able to produce games to keep up with what they could be doing.
    Hmmmm, Unless he took on a different role and taught JJP how to get games out the door.

#59 2 years ago

I have zero actual knowledge, but would be kind of surprised if this is true. Steve Ritchie and JJP are pretty much polar opposites in many ways.

#60 2 years ago

When asked why he left Stern for another pinball manufacturer, Steve Ritchie said "Work Better"!

#61 2 years ago

What ever he does, its his choice. Whatever he decides I'm happy for him.
    Personally, I'd be surprised if there is any truth to this rumor.
    Id be more likely to believe he's retiring... Not switching

#62 2 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

He's a pretty sensitive guy...maybe the LZ criticism got to him and he knows he could have done better with a higher BOM.
    He's only 71. Still has a lot of years to give to pinball.

And the fact that Elwin is the new King and kicking ass. Maybe his ego is taking a blow and he wants to show he can still do it and blames Stern for low BOM

Bottom line sales matter i don’t care who you work for or who you are

#63 2 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

And the fact that Elwin is the new King and kicking ass. Maybe his ego is taking a blow and he wants to show he can still do it and blames Stern for low BOM

I agree, in the last 6 years he did Star Wars, Black Knight SOR and Led Zeppelin. All AAA themes but were not well received and were highly criticized. Meanwhile Elwin seems to be Stern's new golden boy. Brian Eddy has hit a home run with Mandalorian as well. Maybe Stern had a three strikes your out rule. Then again, I thought he said Texas Pinball festival was to be his last appearance 2 years ago presumably because he was to retire soon afterwards.

#64 2 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

TBH, it is crazy how many flat plastics you see in BKSoR (and I think SR even made note of it in an interview) and meanwhile Elwin gets 3+ flippers in all his games, 3+ ramps in all his games (often 4 ramps)… etc. The “open space filled” factor is so high in Elwin games vs SR games (LZ, BKSoR and SW vs. JP2, AIQ and IMDN Pros alone). There must be a reason.

It’s the “Lyman factor”.

Stern saw all the “I won’t buy a game unless Lyman is on code” posts… and Stern now has Lyman on $8k games only. That helps bottom line. All of us who praise SR games will buy SR games… so why should Stern put extra $$$ into his games? You’re going to buy them anyways!!! Meanwhile Elwin had to prove himself. They gave him the keys to the car and he’s delivering.

Just you all wait 15-20 years from now when you say “I won’t buy a game unless Elwin is on design, and Tanio is on code”… and what you get is an IJ4 rehash and a $15k price for the Pro because you asked for it over and over again.

#65 2 years ago

Steve unleashed! While his last few games are fun it seems pretty clear that his designs are held back by budget restrictions.

I don't see how JJP can work though with 3 designers when they put out 1 pin a year. Could this mean that Pat's next game, likely Toy Story, may be his last?

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

I agree, in the last 6 years he did Star Wars, Black Knight SOR and Led Zeppelin. All AAA themes but were not well received and were highly criticized.

Highly criticized by people on pinside and not the rest of the world who plays games because they look cool and have a good IP. Most of the issues are with the code except the skill shot/shot multiplier on star wars (that thing sucks). The games all have good flow and look great in an arcade.

#67 2 years ago

What titles would you like to see Steve make for a JJP pin?

Personally would say Back to the Future (however Stern may already be doing this one, rumor), and a new Indiana Jones pin that covers all 5 films.

#68 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Steve unleashed! While his last few games are fun it seems pretty clear that his designs are held back by budget restrictions.

EVERYONE'S designs are held back by budget. It's called BOM.

#69 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Steve unleashed! While his last few games are fun it seems pretty clear that his designs are held back by budget restrictions

Led Zeppelin may have had a lot of BOM money eaten up by the license, but I kinda suspect BKSoR has equal budget to other Stern titles and a lot of its BoM was eaten up by the Knight figure. It's pretty complex. He's the enemy and the whole focus on the game, so it wouldn't seem out of line to spend the most on him and leave the rest of the 'battlefield' pretty basic.

#70 2 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

I agree, in the last 6 years he did Star Wars, Black Knight SOR and Led Zeppelin. All AAA themes but were not well received and were highly criticized. Meanwhile Elwin seems to be Stern's new golden boy. Brian Eddy has hit a home run with Mandalorian as well. Maybe Stern had a three strikes your out rule. Then again, I thought he said Texas Pinball festival was to be his last appearance 2 years ago presumably because he was to retire soon afterwards.

Elwins got some creative and amazing designs, but I’d take Star Wars in a heartbeat over any of his. Now LZ or BKSOR on the other hand

#71 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Personally would say Back to the Future (however Stern may already be doing this one, rumor), and a new Indiana Jones pin that covers all 5 films.

Ritchie + JJP = Matrix

#72 2 years ago

Maybe retirement is best. We don't need another typical fan layout. Others have said SR and JJP aren't compatible because SR makes fast games and JJP not so fast. Perhaps, JJP is looking for a stripped down game. Probably will increase the price by a thousand for the trouble.

#73 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

PTC/EFL

Either one.

LTG : )

#74 2 years ago

Kaminkow said yesterday that Steve is still at Stern.

3FF5D222-C65D-4471-A6A7-4ACACAC5DAD2 (resized).jpeg3FF5D222-C65D-4471-A6A7-4ACACAC5DAD2 (resized).jpeg
    #75 2 years ago
    Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

That settles that.

Still hope for a bright pinball future for Steve !

LTG : )

#76 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

SR going to JJP to design Ozzy/Sabbath...just to guarantee I won't ever have a savings account.

#77 2 years ago
    Quoted from kumanaga:

SR going to JJP to design Ozzy/Sabbath...just to guarantee I won't ever have a savings account.

Looks like the savings account is safe for now.....

#78 2 years ago
    Quoted from The_Pump_House:

I’ve got 27 or so BW dmd pins and there isn’t an SR among them.

Terminator is a Steve Ritchie game

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from radfordian3505:

Terminator is a Steve Ritchie game

Gotcha beat by a few hours on this one.

Quoted from MattElder:

Your collection says you have a T2 (And also a T3, but that was a Stern game). I just had to check.

#80 2 years ago

If Stern is going to lose a designer at this point I'd rather it be Richie than anyone else on staff.

#81 2 years ago
    Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

[quoted image]

He didn’t even answer the question.

#82 2 years ago

Ritchie and Kapow.

BTTF 2022

BOOM !

#83 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Also, just don't take the subpar feeling flippers from me. This is from TWIP last week. I estimate over 500 votes and JJP gets like 7% overall. [quoted image]

This is so wrong lol CAPCOM BY A MILE!

Also what’s with the “JJP is calling it quits” rumors. Why the hell can a company getting 15k for games close up shop? Plus factor in that JJP is either owned or funded up by an Angel Investor who does NOT give a shit about profitability whatsoever (à la DeepRoot)

JJP exists not because they aim to make money, but because they can make the “dream machines” where money isn’t part of the equation.

#84 2 years ago

This is all to funny.
    You have the wrong Ritchie.

#85 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

This is all to funny.

Oh! Lionel Ritchie is the next JJP music pin. Now I'm out.

#86 2 years ago

Richie Sambora collaboration for Bon Jovi pin.

#87 2 years ago
    Quoted from shlt_thunder:

Richie Sambora collaboration for Bon Jovi pin.

You're just bringing this up because you want a pin's abbreviation to be "BJ" forever in the future.

#88 2 years ago

Cary Hardy made a cryptic post on youtube about "pinball changing" and there will be pros and cons about it. He said we'd all know in the next week or so. Maybe its pertaining to this? I saw the FB post too and I thought it was just some dreaming by yet another FB pinball casual but now that this is picking up steam....maybe? If true, we won't even be seeing him on any JJP games for several years.

Btw- Yes, Capcom flippers absolutely rule

#89 2 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

You can't say no to the King!

Sweet! He can bring his one layout he has been modifying year after year to another manufacturer!

Look, I love Steve. I love his games and I love his gimmicks (all 1 of them). I own several games he designed. He is a great guy at shows and interesting to chat with. But there is nothing about him going to JJP that is exciting to me.

#90 2 years ago

This is all to funny.

Was going to say the same but once Pinside is down the tracks there is no stopping it. Lol

#91 2 years ago

I like Steve and enjoy a lot of his games. But lets be honest, I doubt stern is too worried about Steve leaving as he hasn't exactly set the world on fire with his releases. Stern has brought in new blood that needs to take over his game spots anyway. It's probably best for Steve and stern for him to be somewhere else.

#92 2 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I love Steve, I love his games and I love his gimmicks (all 1 of them).

1? You talking about flashers?
    Magna save is pretty sweet… seriously he’s brought us a good many C’mon.

#93 2 years ago

Ritchie is my favorite designer. I don't like every theme he's ever been saddled with, but really like his games. ST:TNG is still my all time favorite. I have and will eagerly try every game he is associated with.

#94 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Was going to say the same but once Pinside is down the tracks there is no stopping it. Lol

This is all to funny.

So Mark Ritchie leaving CGC to go to JJP?

#95 2 years ago

Hopefully Steve is not leaving but best of luck if he does. With all the playfield issues of JJP, not sure that is a great choice. Perhaps he will head to American Pinball and have a mini reunion of Williams ex employees....

#96 2 years ago
    Quoted from The_Pump_House:

I’ve got 27 or so BW dmd pins and there isn’t an SR among them.

Looks like T2 and T3 are in your collection

#97 2 years ago

We all love Steve (even when he makes us give him our money). Talked to him a few times and such a great guy. Wish him the best and look forward to his efforts wherever he may roam.

#98 2 years ago

Maybe Steve started this rumor to get a pay bump

#99 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I don't see how JJP can work though with 3 designers when they put out 1 pin a year. Could this mean that Pat's next game, likely Toy Story, may be his last?

Steve unleashed at WMS brought you STTNG and No Fear which both easily had greater BOM's than even a JJP game when inflation is considered. Both very polarizing games. STTNG was remixed for Stern and while fun, hardly revolutionary or fresh. There isn't much gas in the tank design wise - regardless of budget.

#100 2 years ago
    Quoted from Xenon75:

Steve unleashed at WMS brought you STTNG and No Fear which both easily had greater BOM's than even a JJP game when inflation is considered. Both very polarizing games. STTNG was remixed for Stern and while fun, hardly revolutionary or fresh. There isn't much gas in the tank design wise - regardless of budget.

STTNG and Stern ST play so differently I wouldn't really hesitate to have both in a collection. Honestly, rules wise, the Stern game is *substantially* better, and not just because of the depth of the rules, but all the little nuances and playfield multipliers from the warp ramp.

There are 1,188 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-ritchie-leaving-stern-for-jjp/page/2?hl=ray3127 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.