Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,188 posts
  • 261 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinFever
  • Topic is favorited by 31 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3247CD2B-FEA7-47EF-800A-1F7D84A6BF65.gif
    7641E997-6D12-4C7A-B098-5C9970529CD3.gif
    E2F49AFD-CC2E-45F1-A9E1-8E3F5BFC7651 (resized).jpeg
    236408805_1199699550549611_2501784493730357848_n (resized).jpg
    C1A1E3D5-4C5C-4B17-A924-8FBAA9EA09DB (resized).jpeg
    076CE60D-D9DF-413D-A228-C67DBE18EDD4 (resized).jpeg
    id4.gif
    Levi.jpg
    vonnied (resized).png
    vonnied1.png (resized).jpg
    06CFDC04-2462-4FEC-A29F-1737EA195526 (resized).png
    F7E6C6B8-CFFC-4FEA-92D5-F4229B72F080 (resized).png
    C6DBB8CD-E279-479B-BCA4-D6B7E3B20CFA (resized).jpeg
    Ice-Cold-FreezeOtto (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    226290492_4667540013264558_1955446924592228163_n (resized).jpg
    There are 1,188 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 24.
    #1101 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Dude, just stop already. Let’s agree to disagree. Does that sound good, Medicated Pete?

Nah, because its not a matter of being subjective, its just simply just you being incorrect.

#1102 2 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

If Pat Lawlor made Dialed In when given carte blanche to make a game, I look forward to Steve's version of excess

Good point. And I hope like DI, Steve's next game will be a homage/pseudo-sequel to some of his past games, but I'm not sure anyone is going to be willing to make a non-media theme anymore. They really don't seem to get the buzz that the licensed themes do, sadly.

#1103 2 years ago

Good move by JJP to smokescreen their playfield woes. Time to get excited with a SR move to JJP.

#1104 2 years ago

Isn’t Mick Jagger 78 and still touring? Pretty sure its not because he needs the money.

I’m not saying SR is (or is not) loaded, but there are other reasons people retire later than 65.

#1105 2 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

Isn’t Mick Jagger 78 and still touring? Pretty sure its not because he needs the money.
    I’m not saying SR is (or is not) loaded, but there are other reasons people retire later than 65.

And if my grandmother had wheels Shed be a wagon.

Mick jagger hasn’t played a concert he hasn’t gotten paid for in decades. He gets paid millions of dollars for a 10-date “tour.” He’s doing it for the money. And he’s a billionaire. The best tickets To see the stones cost $2000 and the worst cost $200. It’s strictly a for profit venture for everybody involved, from mick all the way down to the guy who cleans the puke up in section 110 after the show.

The idea that steve is working for passion and not money is insane. He’s NOT a billionaire. As recently as 10 years ago he was selling everything he owned to help pay the rent in between stern stints. Google rgp and see the kind of trinkets he was selling off. I bought a signed T2 back panel decal for 20 bucks.

My guess is he got a HEFTY raise to join JJP.

Please, give this line of suggestion up. It’s really, really dumb. You guys STILL don’t get it. This is an industry, not a hobby. These people are working jobs, just like whatever you do 9 to 5, not doing this for fun and intrigue.

#1108 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And if my grandmother had wheels Shed be a wagon.
    Mick jagger hasn’t played a concert he hasn’t gotten paid for in decades. He gets paid millions of dollars for a 10-date “tour.” He’s doing it for the money. And he’s a billionaire. The best tickets To see the stones cost $2000 and the worst cost $200. It’s strictly a for profit venture for everybody involved, from mick all the way down to the guy who cleans the puke up in section 110 after the show.
    The idea that steve is working for passion and not money is insane. He’s NOT a billionaire. As recently as 10 years ago he was selling everything he owned to help pay the rent. Google rgp and see the kind of trinkets he was selling off. I bought a signed T2 back panel decal for 20 bucks.
    Please, give this line of suggestion up. It’s really, really dumb. You guys STILL don’t get it. This is an industry, not a hobby. These people are working jobs, just like whatever you do 9 to 5, not doing this for fun and intrigue.

I never once said he was doing this for free. Why would anyone?

I can only speak for myself, but as a software engineer I love what I do… I don’t want to retire. I have worked with others as well who don’t want to retire. What would we do all day?

Its not about the money for everyone, some of us legit love what we do. Just because some people hate their job, doesn’t mean everyone else does. That is my entire point. Sheez.

#1109 2 years ago

Ok he’s your friend. I get it. And I didn’t say he was a douche. Reading comprehension? But you have it completely backwards. He is the one that insulted me first and won’t let it die. I have tried multiple times to end this tangent. And you’re wrong about everything else. My arguments are dead on balls accurate. Now I consider the matter closed as it’s not relevant to Steve Ritchie’s move.

#1110 2 years ago

Reading between the lines in Jack and Steve's interviews makes me feel like this was an opportunistic move by JJP. Steve is unhappy at Stern... you take a swing to get a big name while you can.

What it could mean though is JJP is taking in a role they aren't necessarily ready for yet. Meaning, were they already primed and ready to start another design team? Hiring one team member is kind of pointless without the rest of the team.

We all said before, what about Lawlor, etc... it sure sounds like they hired Steve because they had the opportunity to do so, not necessarily because they were trying to. So maybe they have a whole lot they need to do before they can put his talents to fruition.

#1111 2 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

I never once said he was doing this for free. Why would anyone?
    I can only speak for myself, but as a software engineer I love what I do… I don’t want to retire. I have worked with others as well who don’t want to retire. What would we do all day?
    Its not about the money for everyone, some of us legit love what we do. Just because some people hate their job, doesn’t mean everyone else does. That is my entire point. Sheez.

I just get frustrated when I see this kind of fantasyland stuff. It’s great for you that you enjoy your job and plan on doing it well into your 70s with money as some kind of distant tangential consideration. But to project that kind of motivation onto other people you don’t know really doesn’t make any sense.

Unless you have any kind of particular insight into their situations (say, you are close personal friends or a family member) it doesn’t really make sense to insist that mick jagger is pouting and strutting around the stadiums of America for fun, or that steve Ritchie is working his pinball job for any primary reason other than money.

#1112 2 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

Tony Bennett was NINETY FIVE before just giving up touring last week. Some people love what they do.

#1113 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Tony Bennett was NINETY FIVE before just giving up touring last week. Some people love what they do.

I got to see him performe in 2016...he was awesome.

#1114 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I just get frustrated when I see this kind of fantasyland stuff. It’s great for you that you enjoy your job and plan on doing it well into your 70s with money as some kind of tangential consideration. But to project that kind of motivation onto other people you don’t know really doesn’t make any sense.
    Unless you have any kind of particular insight into their situations (say, you are close personal friends or a family member) it doesn’t really make sense to insist that mick jagger is pouting and strutting around the stadiums of America for fun, or that steve Ritchie is working his pinball job for any primary reason other than money.

He's not doing it for the money. Does he want to be paid for performing? Of course, but musicians do it because it's in their blood. I can tell you this as a musician. There are gigs I wouldn't do, even if I were paid a lot. Money is a high consideration but it's not the top reason musicians perform. There are exceptions, of course. I'm sure if a well known band's drummer wasn't doing well financially, and they talked about reuniting for a tour, money might be a huge factor. I had to speak up here because I'd bet money that money wasn't the top reason Mick is performing. Performing for people is addicting and a drug, for lack of a better term. You get a high from people reacting to your music. Robert Plant would make loads reuniting with Zep, but does he do it? Of course not. He loves what he's doing with his own stuff. He and Mick are of the age and wealth where they don't need it.

#1115 2 years ago
    Quoted from spandol:

He's not doing it for the money. Does he want to be paid for performing? Of course, but musicians do it because it's in their blood. I can tell you this as a musician. There are gigs I wouldn't do, even if I were paid a lot. Money is a high consideration but it's not the top reason musicians perform. There are exceptions, of course. I'm sure if a well known band's drummer wasn't doing well financially, and they talked about reuniting for a tour, money might be a huge factor. I had to speak up here because I'd bet money that money wasn't the top reason Mick is performing. Performing for people is addicting and a drug, for lack of a better term. You get a high from people reacting to your music. Robert Plant would make loads reuniting with Zep, but does he do it? Of course not. He loves what he's doing with his own stuff. He and Mick are of the age and wealth where they don't need it.

Fine. Whatever.

Back to steve Ritchie. You think he’s not doing this for the money? A few years after doing yard sales on RGP?

You base this on what, exactly? Panzer’s rants? Skink91’s pledge to work into his 70s out of passion for his job?

#1116 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Your whole system down there makes no sense to me.

The idea is to work very hard to support others and die young
    Its called the dirt nap retirement plan

Oh yeah, and i am in!

#1117 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I just get frustrated when I see this kind of fantasyland stuff. It’s great for you that you enjoy your job and plan on doing it well into your 70s with money as some kind of distant tangential consideration. But to project that kind of motivation onto other people you don’t know really doesn’t make any sense.

Fantasyland stuff? What? I am just a regular dude working in an industry. I don’t get where you’re coming from here.

Is it so different than your insistence that he couldn’t possibly be wanting to design pinball games and is just absolutely hard up for cash?

You’re right though… I don’t know Steve Richie or Mick Jagger. Maybe you do.

I just can’t imagine why Mick Jagger, as you put it… a billionaire, would keep doing concerts because he just wanted even more money. That just seems odd.

#1118 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You base this on what, exactly? Panzer’s rants? Skink91’s pledge to work into his 70s out of passion for his job?

Someone drop a deuce in your cheerios this morning dude?

#1119 2 years ago

"Hey Moe, look at the grouse!"

#1120 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Ok he’s your friend. I get it. And I didn’t say he was a douche. Reading comprehension? But you have it completely backwards. He is the one that insulted me first and won’t let it die. I have tried multiple times to end this tangent. And you’re wrong about everything else. My arguments are dead on balls accurate. Now I consider the matter closed as it’s not relevant to Steve Ritchie’s move.

You are so far from dead on balls accurate, you are balls on forehead getting dunked on. Now that you are using, but he did it first, I realize you may actually be a little kid and not an adult. If you are in fact a kid, sorry didn't mean to gang up on you.

#1121 2 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

Fantasyland stuff?
    Is it so different than your insistence that he couldn’t possibly be wanting to design pinball games and is just absolutely hard up for cash?
    That just seems odd.

To be fair, that’s not exactly what Levi was saying. He was questioning how anyone other than close friends or family members of Steve Ritchie could know his motivations. His take that Mick Jagger tours only for the money is a rather odd thing to say though, unless of course Levi is a close friend or family member of Mick”s and we don’t know it.

#1122 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

You are so far from dead on balls accurate, you are balls on forehead getting dunked on. Now that you are using, but he did it first, I realize you may actually be a little kid and not an adult. If you are in fact a kid, sorry didn't mean to gang up on you.

#1123 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

...unless of course Levi is a close friend or family member of Mick”s and we don’t know it.

Mick got around. He could be related and not know it. The timeline works.

#1124 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

To be fair, that’s not exactly what Levi was saying. He was questioning how anyone other than close friends or family members of Steve Ritchie could know his motivations.

No one could know… and perhaps even if they were close friends or family members they wouldn’t really know.

But since when are we working with actual facts or working knowledge on this site? Why is talking about why SR is still working at 71 somehow taboo? I was merely suggesting that perhaps he actually enjoys designing pinball games and it wasn’t merely for a paycheck - and somehow that is outrageous?

Fucking bizarre.

#1125 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:Mick got around. He could be related and not know it. The timeline works.

The timeline works for pretty much any child born in the last 60 years!

#1126 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The timeline works for pretty much any child born in the last 60 years!

Nice deflection, Levi Jagger.

#1127 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Nice deflection, Levi Jagger.

I literally have no idea what you are talking about !!!

#1128 2 years ago

Steve isn’t doing it for the money, he loves this industry and he loves his fans. Most 70 year old people are left for forgotten and become irrelevant, not my King, he is still fighting for glory even at 71. Steve knows, if you step into the battle field of life, you might fail and there is a good chance you could get hurt, but if you succeed, they will call out your name long after you are gone! All hail the King! No matter what his next game plays like, Steve will always be a legend in my eyes, he will always be someone I admire........but if his next game sucks, I will tell it to his face.......right after I thank him for everything he gave us. Steve Ritchie is the greatest Pinball Rock Star this industry has ever seen!

#1129 2 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Steve isn’t doing it for the money, he loves this industry and he loves his fans. Most 70 year old people are left for forgotten and become irrelevant, not my King, he is still fighting for glory even at 71. Steve knows, if you step into the battle field of life, you might fail and there is a good chance you could get hurt, but if you succeed, they will call out your name long after you are gone! All hail the King! No matter what his next game plays like, Steve will always be a legend in my eyes, he will always be someone I admire........but if his next game sucks, I will tell it to his face.......right after I thank him for everything he gave us. Steve Ritchie is the greatest Pinball Rock Star this industry has ever seen!

I'll admit this was inspiring and convincing!!!!

I'm sold! He's doing it for the fans!

id4.gifid4.gif
    #1130 2 years ago

Money talks but not much can replace the sound of hands clapping from a adoring audience.
    These old fart artists love getting a check, but at their ages in their careers - a full house cannot be discounted.

Make a quality game Steve - rooting for you.

#1131 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Holt shit; smoke show and LEDs...Collectors Edition?!?

#1132 2 years ago

Just in case my employer is spying on me, wanted to chime in and clarify that I work 100% for the money, don't get any ideas.

#1133 2 years ago
    Quoted from FalconDriver:

Good move by JJP to smokescreen their playfield woes. Time to get excited with a SR move to JJP.

Oh my god is that why they hired Steve?

#1134 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Oh man that is great dude!!!

#1135 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Man either you got an 80s fog machine or Snoop is your roommate

#1136 2 years ago

I read some of the dumbest conversations and arguments here sometimes.

#1137 2 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I read some of the dumbest conversations and arguments here sometimes.

There are times when I am reading Pinside that I feel a lot dumber because of it.

#1138 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Wait is that you?? See, you're a rocker yourself!

#1139 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

General illumination is dark mixed in with blinding flashes of light. Reminds me of a JJP game.

#1140 2 years ago

do not mind the Smoke. I just left his home before he made this vid..

Quoted from CrazyLevi:I literally have no idea what you are talking about !!!

#1141 2 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I got to see him performe in 2016...he was awesome.

Tony Bennett in his NINETY's had 20 some year old babes crying in the audience for crying out loud! And almost me too!

#1142 2 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

There are times when I am reading Pinside that I feel a lot dumber because of it.

See, this is where that whole "reading is fundamental" argument breaks down...

#1143 2 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Oh my god is that why they hired Steve?

Nah. I’m just more excited to see Levi jam over the hiring.

#1144 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Badass Levi !

#1145 2 years ago

Glad you enjoyed the rock !

I’ll admit it’s more fun than speculating why our heroes are making career decisions or hitting the road.

Dark Knight’s triumphant speech and tribute to Steve’s timeless classics reminded me the world needs more unabashed passion!!!!

#1146 2 years ago

What the hell,I’ll throw my 2 in .I’m only 51 and have worked labor jobs my whole life .Most of the people I’ve seen retire went to the couch and weren’t happy about it .That’s the beginning of the end .Me personally I just want to retire from physical work and do something I like to do when the time comes .Not much can replace playing live music in front of 80k people .As far as SR goes maybe pinball is all he wants to do .Either way to each they’re own wish the best for him .I just got my first SR a LZprem and couldn’t be happier .When first in the hobby I got caught up with the “toys ,toys ,where’s the fucking toys”shit .Between IMDN n LZ I’m starting to see I like the “less is more” approach .

#1147 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Glad you enjoyed the rock !
    I’ll admit it’s more fun than speculating why our heroes are making career decisions or hitting the road.
    Dark Knight’s triumphant speech and tribute to Steve’s timeless classics reminded me the world needs more unabashed passion!!!!

Well put .

#1148 2 years ago

I contacted Stern a few years ago when I was on a random trip to Chicago to get a factory tour. The guy that arranges the tours in Stern marketing was not available that day and mentioned that I would need to select another day that he was available. I told the gentleman that I really was not really interested in speaking with a guy in marketing and that my entire reason for visiting the factory was for the chance to meet Steve Ritchie in person and that Stern should consider themselves lucky that he was in their employ. I never got a factory tour on that trip, so now, perhaps I can get a tour at JJP and meet "the man" at some point in the future.

#1149 2 years ago

This has to be one of my favorite topics I've ever followed, ha. I love both JJP and Stern and I just hope SR gets some crazy awesome motivation and ideas and knocks it out of the park.

Very exciting to see and be a part of because I know first hand recently switching companies I got my spark back for my career.

One of my favorite games has to be STTNG! Good luck and kick ass!

#1150 2 years ago

Steve is one of my pinball heroes, always ready to give the best advice!!
    076CE60D-D9DF-413D-A228-C67DBE18EDD4 (resized).jpeg076CE60D-D9DF-413D-A228-C67DBE18EDD4 (resized).jpegC1A1E3D5-4C5C-4B17-A924-8FBAA9EA09DB (resized).jpegC1A1E3D5-4C5C-4B17-A924-8FBAA9EA09DB (resized).jpeg

There are 1,188 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-ritchie-leaving-stern-for-jjp/page/23?hl=ironman8bit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.