Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,188 posts
  • 261 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinFever
  • Topic is favorited by 31 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3247CD2B-FEA7-47EF-800A-1F7D84A6BF65.gif
    7641E997-6D12-4C7A-B098-5C9970529CD3.gif
    E2F49AFD-CC2E-45F1-A9E1-8E3F5BFC7651 (resized).jpeg
    236408805_1199699550549611_2501784493730357848_n (resized).jpg
    C1A1E3D5-4C5C-4B17-A924-8FBAA9EA09DB (resized).jpeg
    076CE60D-D9DF-413D-A228-C67DBE18EDD4 (resized).jpeg
    id4.gif
    Levi.jpg
    vonnied (resized).png
    vonnied1.png (resized).jpg
    06CFDC04-2462-4FEC-A29F-1737EA195526 (resized).png
    F7E6C6B8-CFFC-4FEA-92D5-F4229B72F080 (resized).png
    C6DBB8CD-E279-479B-BCA4-D6B7E3B20CFA (resized).jpeg
    Ice-Cold-FreezeOtto (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    226290492_4667540013264558_1955446924592228163_n (resized).jpg
    There are 1,188 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 24.
    #901 2 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Its still available and could be used. It really doesn't have many or maybe any advantages over todays playfield coatings. Everything you've said is wrong and debunked forever ago. The problems are not due to environmental restrictions for the chemicals. Today's clearcoats are better than ever. Diamond plate isn't the end all be all of playfield coatings. If it was, you'd see guys like HEP using it instead of their clearcoats.

How has it been debunked?

#902 2 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

I feel like we have different definitions of what is unique. I am sorry but playing all 20 songs many many times (except for This I Love...This I Love is the worst song I've every listened to in my life) I didn't really get that feel. I was just hitting lit shots while managing a hefty multi ball knowing that once I hit enough lit shots, I could hit the center scoop to add a ball. Once I got down to one ball I then had the choice of whether or not to push my luck when I went back to the lit scoop. Maybe I am missing something...I know someone called the code "nuanced".

This is exactly how i felt about the code. I made it to the end of the game on the 3rd day of owning it because I played to beat the game. I would of never bought the game if I knew it had no actual story line and was more about jackpot scoring. Imagine if they added a story line to the game, something simple like Rockband story mode with a evil manager to battle along the way. Thats whats missing in the code that made it not fun after a few weeks. It was chopping wood over and over. Collect the 4 mini multiballs, lock 6 balls, collect few patches, start song, start band frenzy, make it to jackpot and maybe encore, rinse and repeat over and over. The game is cool just not my type of coded game.

#903 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

What JJP did with the music in GNR is ...

I'm not arguing with most of your points, and iloveplywood is also msinterpreting what I said whether intentional or not. I never said you can't sync to the music or that it needs to be synced to discreet play events. BUT the implementations that are totally detached from game play no longer feel like pinball to me. The concept could have been refined further so it's less passive, and not cross the line to the glorified jukebox feel.

#904 2 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

You would probably enjoy a Led Zeppelin pin more

I wouldn't know. I have not played it yet. I try my best to keep comments based on first hand experience playing games. I owned GnR. I did not enjoy it for many reasons but mostly because I did not enjoy the main gameplay loop. For some reason you consider that an act of aggression. It is okay to like something someone else doesn't. You can still enjoy GnR even if I do not.

#905 2 years ago

I wouldn't know. I have not played it yet. I try my best to keep comments based on first hand experience playing games. I owned GnR. I did not enjoy it for many reasons but mostly because I did not enjoy the main gameplay loop. For some reason you consider that an act of aggression. It is okay to like something someone else doesn't. You can still enjoy GnR even if I do not.

Nevermind this shit is like politics nobody changes their mind!Have a nice life

#906 2 years ago

Hell with it

#907 2 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

You would probably enjoy a Led Zeppelin pin more

Anyone would.

EDIT: Oops...wait...I just realized I'm late to the dance here. That's what I get for having a life. Never mind.

#908 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Anyone would.
    //<![CDATA[
    window.__mirage2 = {petok:"3f5c86473be14d067e5616601507d03e9b456b12-1628530764-1800"};
    //]]>

EDIT: Oops...wait...I just realized I'm late to the dance here. That's what I get for having a life. Never mind.

As much as your here it surprises me you have time for anything else.
    All the time you spent defending Stern pins and bashing JJP games just to prove your side is right.

#909 2 years ago

Steve all smiles at JJP today!

223430176_4658540394164520_1904580084935087351_n (resized).jpg223430176_4658540394164520_1904580084935087351_n (resized).jpg

#910 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

[quoted image]

Well they at least let him get inside and put his bag down Has he done an interviews yet?

#911 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

JJP programmers actually took the time to create light shows synced to moments in all of the songs. That may be a first for pinball

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Every other music pin before GNR had music simply play with light shows synced to gameplay events (hitting certain shots) but not choregraphed to the music.

Wrong. Both Mousin' Around and SST had lights synced to the music. Possibly others, but this was being done back in 1989; JJP was certainly not the first.

#912 2 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Wrong. Both Mousin' Around and SST had lights synced to the music. Possibly others, but this was being done back in 1989; JJP was certainly not the first.

NBA Fastbreak!

#913 2 years ago

A lot of data east/sega games synced lights with the game music (most of the time flashers synced with the music) most of the time causing me to mess up getting multi ball which I think was the whole idea

#914 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

JJP programmers actually took the time to create light shows synced to moments in all of the songs. That may be a first for pinball, it's a shame Stern hasn't done something similar considering these crazy prices.

You seriously think JJP invented lights syncing/flashing to a soundtrack?

Laser War did it back in 1987 and even included the lyrics on it's alphanumeric display!

Return to base! Return to base! We’re fight’n a Laser War!

#915 2 years ago

Let’s just agree that JJP did it best!!!

#916 2 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

Laser War did it back in 1987 and even included the lyrics on it's alphanumeric display!

Ok now I have to go look up this obviously chart-topping song!!

Edit: just did. Lazer War looks awesome!! Nice light show.

I don’t know who invented what first or whatever, but after also looking up the Live and Let Die light show.. holy crap that is several orders of magnitude cooler. Definitely looks like a light show AT a G’nR concert. Which obviously was the point. They even nailed the look of the laser (ha) lights

#917 2 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Let’s just agree that JJP did it best!!!

Don't say that, some of the Stern fanboys will argue against it somehow.

Quoted from Palmer:

I didn't know that. Also I said that may be a first for pinball, not for sure. That's cool but it's not remotely on the same level to what JJP is doing. Kinda like comparing a Model T to a 2021 Ferrari and saying they are the same because each has tires lol.

#918 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Don't say that, some of the Stern fanboys will argue against it somehow.

Oh I know they will.I remember some argueing that LZ had better art then GnR.Lol

#919 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

[quoted image]

Go get 'em Steve!!!

#920 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

I have one of the proto drawings. The magnet was probably removed because it wasn't necessary.
    [quoted image]

Thast really cool! would you like to sell me a copy

#921 2 years ago

Not a fan of zep at all. It's flat, barren and not as fun as it could have been. That said, I'd take it over the world's greatest light show paired with multiball mania.

Oh no, how will Romulick® and Panzyfreak® label me as a stern fanboy when I've bashed stern and jjp at the same time????

tenor (1).giftenor (1).gif

#922 2 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

I'm not arguing with most of your points, and iloveplywood is also msinterpreting what I said whether intentional or not. I never said you can't sync to the music or that it needs to be synced to discreet play events. BUT the implementations that are totally detached from game play no longer feel like pinball to me. The concept could have been refined further so it's less passive, and not cross the line to the glorified jukebox feel.

I probably did misconstrue your post (but not on purpose!). Like I said, I haven't even played the game so I should probably keep my wisdom on the merits of the lighting to myself -- at least you've played the bloody game.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing a Ritchie JJP game.

#923 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Not a fan of zep at all. It's flat, barren and not as fun as it could have been. That said, I'd take it over the world's greatest light show paired with multiball mania.
    Oh no, how will Romulick® and Panzyfreak® label me as a stern fanboy when I've bashed stern and jjp at the same time????
    [quoted image]

Hey that's cool Translicker@ even in a post you claim to be open minded you still have to be a fanboy!

#924 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

[quoted image]

A new centipede-walk to be created.

#925 2 years ago

Can't we all just get along?

26885779-E331-426E-B4E8-BAC8984ACC98 (resized).jpeg26885779-E331-426E-B4E8-BAC8984ACC98 (resized).jpeg
    #926 2 years ago
    Quoted from BrianJ1337:

No. What is the fun with that? and miss all the Pinside drama

#927 2 years ago

So I stopped following this epic battle a week ago.
    Is SR actually AT JJP now?

#928 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

So I stopped following this epic battle a week ago.
    Is SR actually AT JJP now?

Precisely!

In a completely unrelated development, all the JJP nutswingers who used to think Steve sucks ass suddenly love him. and all the Stern superfans who used think he ruled now think he's a washed up hack.

#929 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Precisely!
    In a completely unrelated development, all the JJP nutswingers who used to think Steve sucks ass suddenly love him. and all the Stern superfans who used think he ruled now think he's a washed up hack.

That's probably the most astute observation of the entire ordeal. Well said.

I'm stoked to see what he does at JJP and their gameplay style I think he can do some real good work there.

#930 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Precisely!

Meh. I'm somewhere in the middle. One thing's for certain. If he puts up another dud, the BoM wasn't his Stern problem.

#931 2 years ago

Well Levi, that sums up the last 19 pages. Thank you.
    I will keep my opinions to myself and the rest of you can continue with the battle.
    Thanks for allowing me to interupt.
    Best of luck to Steve wherever he works.

#932 2 years ago

I concur, I wish Steve the best. I've enjoyed his designs forever, the first game I ever really put serious time into was High Speed. I've enjoyed most of his Stern games as well, especially Thrones and Zep.

A little note to Steve though...time to retire the Beef Plunge. I have no idea where Steve - who used to have such awesome and creative launches in his games (High Speed, Flash, rollergames, STTNG, etc) - got the idea that players like to plunge the ball so it thuds clumsily into a wall of standup targets. But all the players I talk to hate it.

Go back to the cool creative old school launches that brought the ball to a flipper, or if you are out of ideas there, just go back to the launch into the pops like Thrones or Spiderman.

Trust me on this dude!

Retire the beef plunge, nobody likes it!!! Zep and Star Wars are NOT better games because of it.

#933 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

....- got the idea that players like to plunge the ball into a bank of standup targets....

Hmmm...STNG? And at least that had awards to chose from.

#934 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Hmmm...STNG? And at least that had awards to chose from.

It had the cool curly ramp launch into the pops.

#935 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Precisely!

Obviously I'm rooting that JJP pulls out of this tailspin their in right now.As far as Steve Ritchie coming to JJP I was surprised.I owned and loved my AC/DC Luci for a year and had a HS2 for a couple years.I hope he does well but I'm not sure he can knock it out of the park anymore.

#936 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I concur, I wish Steve the best. I've enjoyed his designs forever, the first game I ever really put serious time into was High Speed. I've enjoyed most of his Stern games as well, especially Thrones and Zep.
    A little note to Steve though...time to retire the Beef Plunge. I have no idea where Steve - who used to have such awesome and creative launches in his games (High Speed, Flash, rollergames, STTNG, etc) - got the idea that players like to plunge the ball so it thuds clumsily into a wall of standup targets. But all the players I talk to hate it.
    Go back to the cool creative old school launches that brought the ball to a flipper, or if you are out of ideas there, just go back to the launch into the pops like Thrones or Spiderman.
    Trust me on this dude!
    Retire the beef plunge, nobody likes it!!! Zep and Star Wars are NOT better games because of it.

Launches into rollovers above pops are the absolute worst. Lamest "skill" shots ever! Zero creativity. I'd rather thud targets, not that that type is much better.

The drop skill in whirlwind is awesome, especially since you can soft plunge, trap and sweep for massive points.

Pinball magic hat is crazy good.

Variety of skills in Maiden is great.

#937 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

[quoted image]

No labels as I'm setting you on ignore after you purposely misspelled my user name just to use a derogatory term. Goodbye, grow up, and have fun arguing with yourself.

#938 2 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Obviously I'm rooting that JJP pulls out of this tailspin their in right now.As far as Steve Ritchie coming to JJP I was surprised.I owned and loved my AC/DC Luci for a year and had a HS2 for a couple years.I hope he does well but I'm not sure he can knock it out of the park anymore.

It was definitely a move out of left field. JJP has put out 1 game a year on average so having 3 designers now is a bit strange unless JJP is planning to change that. Who knows maybe Pat is planning on retiring after his next game. Looking forward to seeing what Steve can do on a bigger game budget at JJP.

#939 2 years ago

#940 2 years ago

I'm not sure why so many people on here seem to think that JJP is never going to increase production and make 1 game every year or two for the foreseeable future. The guy who bought JJP sold his company for 900 million dollars. I think he knows a bit about business and he might even figure out that if you are selling everything you produce that it's probably a good idea to expand. If Spooky can figure out a way to build an another building, I think that JJP might be able to figure that out too. Logic should tell you that Steve Ritchie would not leave Stern to go to JJP unless he expected expansion to happen.

#941 2 years ago

If that were the case a lot of money should be pumped into production, customer service, & quality playfields. Maybe get some balls & change out all the bad playfields at the factory or with service centers in other countries. So the customer gets a plug & play one, return the bad one.

#942 2 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Its still available and could be used. It really doesn't have many or maybe any advantages over todays playfield coatings. Everything you've said is wrong and debunked forever ago. The problems are not due to environmental restrictions for the chemicals. Today's clearcoats are better than ever. Diamond plate isn't the end all be all of playfield coatings. If it was, you'd see guys like HEP using it instead of their clearcoats.

Nonsense. You’ve been debunked.

#943 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

lol its OK to be wrong, doubling down isn't the answer bud. You'd still be wrong and just look even worse

#944 2 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

lol its OK to be wrong, doubling down isn't the answer bud. You'd still be wrong and just look even worse

Take your own advice then. You’re embarrassing yourself.

#945 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Quoted from Haymaker:

Quoted from vicjw66:

Take your own advice then. You’re embarrassing yourself.

792A64C8-D35A-43D7-AC12-BC6C728C77BA.gif792A64C8-D35A-43D7-AC12-BC6C728C77BA.gif
    #946 2 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

I think in parts (!) EVERY game does it.

#947 2 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

I also remember being booed off the stage

I was booed off the stage "singing" karaoke one night. I was drunk and made up brand new lyrics to "We Didn't Start the Fire" that offended people. This was back in the mid 1990s, so it was 'for real' offensive too! .

I guess everyone ripped ME off!!! Where is my money and free pinball machines????

#948 2 years ago
    Quoted from megadeth2600:

I was booed off the stage "singing" karaoke one night. I was drunk and made up brand new lyrics to "We Didn't Start the Fire" that offended people. This was back in the mid 1990s, so it was 'for real' offensive too! .
    I guess everyone ripped ME off!!! Where is my money and free pinball machines????

What just happened

#949 2 years ago
    Quoted from megadeth2600:

I was booed off the stage "singing" karaoke one night. I was drunk and made up brand new lyrics to "We Didn't Start the Fire" that offended people. This was back in the mid 1990s, so it was 'for real' offensive too!

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What just happened

C75D6B48-ECB6-44D9-8644-404CB538F433 (resized).pngC75D6B48-ECB6-44D9-8644-404CB538F433 (resized).png
    #950 2 years ago
    Quoted from BrianJ1337:

[quoted image]

Notice who's smiling and who's not... obviously Jimmy doesn't think as much of Slash as Slash thinks of Jimmy. And I would agree with that assessment. Pretty apparent who's giddy to be seen with who. Zeppelin will live forever, not so sure about GnR.

There are 1,188 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-ritchie-leaving-stern-for-jjp/page/19 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.