Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,188 posts
  • 261 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinFever
  • Topic is favorited by 31 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3247CD2B-FEA7-47EF-800A-1F7D84A6BF65.gif
    7641E997-6D12-4C7A-B098-5C9970529CD3.gif
    E2F49AFD-CC2E-45F1-A9E1-8E3F5BFC7651 (resized).jpeg
    236408805_1199699550549611_2501784493730357848_n (resized).jpg
    C1A1E3D5-4C5C-4B17-A924-8FBAA9EA09DB (resized).jpeg
    076CE60D-D9DF-413D-A228-C67DBE18EDD4 (resized).jpeg
    id4.gif
    Levi.jpg
    vonnied (resized).png
    vonnied1.png (resized).jpg
    06CFDC04-2462-4FEC-A29F-1737EA195526 (resized).png
    F7E6C6B8-CFFC-4FEA-92D5-F4229B72F080 (resized).png
    C6DBB8CD-E279-479B-BCA4-D6B7E3B20CFA (resized).jpeg
    Ice-Cold-FreezeOtto (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    226290492_4667540013264558_1955446924592228163_n (resized).jpg
    There are 1,188 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 24.
    #801 2 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

Well.
    First of all, a restored Mustang should not have clearcoat on it.
    Second, try a State with less enviornmental impact laws. BC would not qualify.

True. Mine was lacquered. But my point is still the same.

Quoted from RobT:

This is definitely true.
    However, despite this, we know that car manufacturers have been able to make clearcoats work even with the new restrictions. Maybe not as good as they used to be, but they sure don't just start failing like they are on JJP pins.

The clear coat on my old Tahoe did not hold up for very long. It was total crap. Flaking after about 5 years or so. Hopefully my new Tahoe will hold up better.

Quoted from Darscot:

I agree you can’t get the same paint job. You can get one that is way better. It’s laughable that you think they haven’t improved in thirty years. Sure people in the restoration business are going to complain because they have to improve along with it. You can’t just spray that old crap in the same old booth and pour it down the drain like they used too. The need to buy respirators, reclaimers, ventilation systems, it cost money to upgrade. Talk to a chemical engineer and he is going to laugh and think that 30 year old paint or clear is garbage from the dark ages.

This was never my point of argument. Companies have had to innovate due to restrictions. There are hurdles involved. I am a strong supporter of environmental laws and restrictions. Mirco needs to innovate and overcome the restrictions. I’ve heard Germany is more strict than Mexico.

#802 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

n the case of Hobbit you can stack the main multiball, Smaug MB, with other modes. That's pretty typical of a vast majority of newer games. The same goes for Beast Frenzy and, Feast Frenzy multiball modes. The main 30+ book modes can all be played on their own, with 1 - 3 of the main multiball modes, or on their own with your choice as single ball mode or as it's own multiball depending on how many mode locks you have. Yes, there's a lot going on there and it's awesome as its all player choice. There's a ton of stacking strategies that can help to blow up the games score.

There is not a SINGLE Stern game where I spend as much time in multiball (of any form) as Hobbit. Not even REMOTELY close. You can toss around words all day long and it's not going to change the simple facts.

If you're playing book modes on their own, you're doing it for one reason...to see the callouts and animations. Which is fine. They put a lot of work into that. But it's a stupid, STUPID choice if you're going for score. There is absolutely no reason NOT to stack in Hobbit other than that, and if you choose to handicap your progress or score.....I'm not about to stop you, and I'll gladly take that W. I don't think you need to preach to me about Hobbit rules in that regard. I had -triple- the score of my nearest competitor at a league night this last tuesday, and in fact, I did have +2 mode balls because I intentionally delayed the MB start to start the book mode with the +2 balls BEFORE starting the multiball. I had Into the Fire on ball 1 without even intentionally going for it. The game IS entirely about multiball, whether you're using it to give yourself more chances to make shots in a mode, or playing the "main" multiballs. Period. Hobbit without that would be a complete piece of trash. I understand thematically why they made that choice, and I *really* wish that it wouldn't be used as a competitive game, EVER, because of it. It plays way the hell too long for that crap, specifically because getting into multiball in any form is a complete and total joke, and you're just as likely to start Beast Frenzy on accident as you are intentionally. I've had 3 ball games of Hobbit where I am not even remotely kidding where I've had SIX+ Beast Frenzy MBs. It's ridiculous. It should not take an hour and a half for a 4 player league game, or 45+ minutes for even Colin MacAlpine, his kid, me, and my kid, to play a 3 ball parent child finals where it was 1 ball parents, 1 ball kids (Mine was like NINE at the time, mind you), 1 ball split flipper....and yet it did.

I actually enjoy a well playing Hobbit.....alone. But with other people? Hell no. Hard pass if I have a choice.

I'm sure all that is adjustable in the settings, but I have no control over that in 99.99% of situations.

Believe it or not, if they would just remove Jack from the company entirely, fix their QC issues, and get their pricing under control or at LEAST stop changing the prices mid-run and announcing 20 different versions of the same game just to milk more money out of people.....I'd probably be a JJP evangelist. But they seem determined to KEEP doing stupid things that have been bringing them down since WOZ. I was defending WOZ when it was not popular to do so. Dialed In has interesting things to it that I like, and Hobbit....as long as I'm in the mood to play a half hour or more of multiballs.....is to me the best example of how to do a video screen interface that's informative and visually appealing. That's one area where JJP leads the industry currently. None of Stern's LCD animations even remotely come close to the integration of video assets and interface design that Hobbit has.

Stern's screens are like .MOV files in the era of 4k YouTube. Functional.....but not good to look at.

#803 2 years ago
    Quoted from Guidotorpedo:

And also Jack will blame playfield issues on the customer, don’t forget that!

Of course! That’s why the customer has to buy a replacement playfield. If the customer would just stare at the game in attract mode and not try to play it, none of this would happen!

#804 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

True. Mine was lacquered. But my point is still the same.

The clear coat on my old Tahoe did not hold up for very long. It was total crap. Flaking after about 5 years or so. Hopefully my new Tahoe will hold up better.

This was never my point of argument. Companies have had to innovate due to restrictions. There are hurdles involved. I am a strong supporter of environmental laws and restrictions. Mirco needs to innovate and overcome the restrictions. I’ve heard Germany is more strict than Mexico.

Yeah when it comes to engineering and quality German is not the way to go. Mexico that is the place you want to go. You here it all the time the prestige and quality of built Mexican. Even being sarcastic it was hard to type that out LOL.

#805 2 years ago

I miss that old Diamond plate. Apparently any chemical engineer today would laugh at me and tell me Diamond plate was garbage. Maybe I’m just being nostalgic.

#806 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Yeah when it comes to engineering and quality German is not the way to go. Mexico that is the place you want to go. You here it all the time the prestige and quality of built Mexican. Even being sarcastic it was hard to type that out LOL.

It’s that same sentiment that kept Mexican coca-cola out of the stores for so long. People just couldn’t accept that Mexico does some things better.

#807 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

I miss that old Diamond plate. Apparently any chemical engineer today would laugh at me and tell me Diamond plate was garbage. Maybe I’m just being nostalgic.

They would tell you of a modern product that is better. It might take more time and cost more. It will have exact specifications for cure time and the correct mix. If you try and rush or cheap out and use less to save money it will chip and pool. It’s not hard to look at pinball and see that there are people making playfields that are far superior to anything from thirty years ago. They are even doing it in North America with all the restrictions.

Before people get upset for me making fun of Mexico. It was clearly tongue in cheek. Mexico is a developed nation that can make great products.

#808 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

They would tell you of a modern product that is better. It might take more time and cost more. It will have exact specifications for cure time and the correct mix. If you try and rush or cheap out and use less to save money it will chip and pool. It’s not hard to look at pinball and see that there are people making playfields that are far superior to anything from thirty years ago. They are even doing it in North America with all the restrictions.

So the only hurdles are more time, increased costs, and more exacting specifications and expertise needed. Got it.

#809 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

So the only hurdles are more time, increased costs, and more exacting specifications and expertise needed. Got it.

I love that your being sarcastic and you actually believe low cost workers with lower specifications and no safety standards is the way to go. Thanks for the chuckle. I’ll let this thread get back to Steve.

#810 2 years ago

...... and we have another Pinside thread that went the way of this argument : "Tastes great" or "less filling"

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #811 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I love that your being sarcastic and you actually believe low cost workers with lower specifications and no safety standards is the way to go. Thanks for the chuckle. I’ll let this thread get back to Steve.

Yeah, because Stern has become the industry leader and very profitable because they followed your business advice. Thanks for the chuckle. Now back to Steve.

#812 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

This is patently false. I have done dimple tests as well. Although I would say that the wood used today is a big part of the problem. It is softer.

Quoted from vicjw66:

It’s that same sentiment that kept Mexican coca-cola out of the stores for so long. People just couldn’t accept that Mexico does some things better.

I’m buying Mexican Pepsi and Mt Dew at Walmart in Indiana

#813 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Yeah, because Stern has become the industry leader and very profitable because they followed your business advice. Thanks for the chuckle. Now back to Steve.

Maybe the expertise at Stern is why they sorted out the playfield problems. It’s hard to follow your argument. So for Stern expertise and standards makes them the industry leader. JJP on the other hand needs to head to Mexico to take advantage of lower standards to improve their product. I don’t think you’re even making sense to yourself anymore.

#814 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

The root cause is environmental restrictions on chemicals. If you want the good clearcoat you got to go to Mexico., not Germany.

Why can Ron Kruzman fix it in Michigan, then? He says 75% of his business is fixing Mirco clear jobs.

#815 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Why can Ron Kruzman fix it in Michigan, then? He says 75% of his business is fixing Mirco clear jobs.

The buthumberg guys in Germany and Bader don't seem to have the issues either.

#816 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

It costs money?

JJP is selling playfields for under $500 right?

What do you their figure cost is on those if they can sell for that cheap?

People are expecting high quality out of parts that are being sourced on the cheap. Not normally a winning combo.

#817 2 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

$500. That’s JJp’s cost.

#818 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

$500. That’s JJp’s cost.

Says who?

Just making the point that someone was comparing a Kruzman playfield (which are CQ and usually well over a grand) to something that is half if that.

The issue here is buyers expect that collector level of quality out of a company that is sourcing parts as cheap as possible.

#819 2 years ago

Could’ve sworn Jack. In that podcast. Maybe I misheard him. I was blind with anger from his previous comments. Haha

#820 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

My 2 Diamond Plate on 1992 Bally Dr Who playfields that was definitely routed, and is almost 30 years old, still does not have any of these JJP playfield problems. Explain that to me Lucy.

#821 2 years ago

It costs money?
    JJP is selling playfields for under $500 right?
    People are expecting high quality out of parts that are being sourced on the cheap. Not normally a winning combo.

$275ish. Maybe less.

#822 2 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

The buthumberg guys in Germany and Bader don't seem to have the issues either.

JJP has a bad history with Bader because of the first run WoZ playfields having the art come off in huge chunks in the pop bumpers and by the drop target. Apparently JJP did not exit that agreement gracefully, and gave them a LOT less slack than they've given Mirco. Bader has figured it out since doing a great job for Spooky, but I'm not sure that's an open door to re-initiate with Bader, or if Bader even has the space available to do JJP stuff if they wanted to. They're doing a LOT more machines than Spooky.

What are the guys in Germany doing?

#823 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

JJP has a bad history with Bader because of the first run WoZ playfields having the art come off in huge chunks in the pop bumpers and by the drop target. Apparently JJP did not exit that agreement gracefully, and gave them a LOT less slack than they've given Mirco. Bader has figured it out since, but I'm not sure that's an open door to re-initiate with Bader, or if Bader even has the space available to do JJP stuff if they wanted to. They're doing a LOT more machines than Spooky.
    What at the guys in Germany doing?

Not putting mylar around pop bumpers is just not a very smart idea.

#824 2 years ago

Of course it does, but I was specifically addressing the assertion that it's environmental law changes that's resulting in the Mirco crap playfields. The US and Germany both have strict laws now, but Bader and Ron Kruzman are doing great PF work in the US of A, and Mirco in Germany is still is churning out crap that doesn't hold up for sometimes even HOURS in a pin. Environmental laws changing to restrict materials that can be used are NOT the problem, Mirco processes are.

Says who?
    Just making the point that someone was comparing a Kruzman playfield (which are CQ and usually well over a grand) to something that is half if that.
    The issue here is buyers expect that collector level of quality out of a company that is sourcing parts as cheap as possible.

You're mixing up stuff. You're comparing cost to retail. JJP retail is well over $1000, too. What's Kruzman's cost in a repair? That would be apples to apples.

But the point is, Ron can fix Mirco's crap clear job, but that's an extra $600-$700 PLUS the time to swap the playfield. Not ideal. Best case scenario would be for JJP to let Ron plus-up a customer's machine's playfield before assembly and then assemble Ron's fixed PF version for the customer when it's on the line, but I understand why JJP won't do that - it would be admitting their Mirco stock playfields are the problem.

#825 2 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

The statement is that they have "no intention" of fixing the issue. That means absoulute zero intention. You actually believe that JJP has zero intention of fixing the problem?

They've obviously had some struggles in fixing the problem, but I highly doubt that it's 1000% off their radar.

I stand by my statement.
    They aren't going to fix what is no longer a problem for them. It's only a problem for you suckers who continue to buy.

#826 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

There is not a SINGLE Stern game where I spend as much time in multiball (of any form) as Hobbit. Not even REMOTELY close. You can toss around words all day long and it's not going to change the simple facts.
    If you're playing book modes on their own, you're doing it for one reason...to see the callouts and animations. Which is fine. They put a lot of work into that. But it's a stupid, STUPID choice if you're going for score. There is absolutely no reason NOT to stack in Hobbit other than that, and if you choose to handicap your progress or score.....I'm not about to stop you, and I'll gladly take that W. I don't think you need to preach to me about Hobbit rules in that regard. I had -triple- the score of my nearest competitor at a league night this last tuesday, and in fact, I did have +2 mode balls because I intentionally delayed the MB start to start the book mode with the +2 balls BEFORE starting the multiball. I had Into the Fire on ball 1 without even intentionally going for it. The game IS entirely about multiball, whether you're using it to give yourself more chances to make shots in a mode, or playing the "main" multiballs. Period. Hobbit without that would be a complete piece of trash. I understand thematically why they made that choice, and I *really* wish that it wouldn't be used as a competitive game, EVER, because of it. It plays way the hell too long for that crap, specifically because getting into multiball in any form is a complete and total joke, and you're just as likely to start Beast Frenzy on accident as you are intentionally. I've had 3 ball games of Hobbit where I am not even remotely kidding where I've had SIX+ Beast Frenzy MBs. It's ridiculous. It should not take an hour and a half for a 4 player league game, or 45+ minutes for even Colin MacAlpine, his kid, me, and my kid, to play a 3 ball parent child finals where it was 1 ball parents, 1 ball kids (Mine was like NINE at the time, mind you), 1 ball split flipper....and yet it did.
    I actually enjoy a well playing Hobbit.....alone. But with other people? Hell no. Hard pass if I have a choice.
    I'm sure all that is adjustable in the settings, but I have no control over that in 99.99% of situations.
    Believe it or not, if they would just remove Jack from the company entirely, fix their QC issues, and get their pricing under control or at LEAST stop changing the prices mid-run and announcing 20 different versions of the same game just to milk more money out of people.....I'd probably be a JJP evangelist. But they seem determined to KEEP doing stupid things that have been bringing them down since WOZ. I was defending WOZ when it was not popular to do so. Dialed In has interesting things to it that I like, and Hobbit....as long as I'm in the mood to play a half hour or more of multiballs.....is to me the best example of how to do a video screen interface that's informative and visually appealing. That's one area where JJP leads the industry currently. None of Stern's LCD animations even remotely come close to the integration of video assets and interface design that Hobbit has.
    Stern's screens are like .MOV files in the era of 4k YouTube. Functional.....but not good to look at.

I only upvote this because of the effort you had to put into this enormous response. Kudos!

#827 2 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

The statement is that they have "no intention" of fixing the issue. That means absoulute zero intention. You actually believe that JJP has zero intention of fixing the problem?
    They've obviously had some struggles in fixing the problem, but I highly doubt that it's 1000% off their radar.

I guess that depends on your definition of "intention."

What actions have they actually taken in terms of fixing the issue to make anyone think that they have the "intention" of fixing it? Especially when they don't even seem to acknowledge that the issue currently exists.

Edit: I mean I'm sure that they want the issue to go away, but I don't know if that means that they actually have the intention of fixing it. Would a sternly worded letter to Mirco constitute proof of their intention to fix the issue?

#828 2 years ago

I see this as good news for everyone.

If Steve moves to JJP, he gets a chance to put out a flow monster with a higher BOM and some different code philosophies.

Stern can give an opportunity to some fresh blood, maybe offering the community something new and unique at a reasonable price point.

#829 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

What are the guys in Germany doing?

Playfields for Pinball Brothers

#830 2 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I see this as good news for everyone.
    If Steve moves to JJP, he gets a chance to put out a flow monster with a higher BOM and some different code philosophies.
    Stern can give an opportunity to some fresh blood, maybe offering the community something new and unique at a reasonable price point.

His last game (LZ) flows like a Mf but because it doesn’t have a bunch of toys people aren’t fans apparently. Easily one of his best games he’s ever designed IMO.

#831 2 years ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Playfields for Pinball Brothers

So Alien v1.1? Are there enough of them out there yet to tell if the PFs are holding up?

#832 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

So Alien v1.1? Are there enough of them out there yet to tell if the PFs are holding up?

They have done multiple repro playfields too. Never heard of any issues with them.

#833 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

They have done multiple repro playfields too. Never heard of any issues with them.

I'm just not familiar with their work, then. The only repro I've bought recently is The Shadow, and that was CPR. But if they're churning out reliable playfields, JJP should be talking to them as at LEAST a test, or maybe as a source for the "spare" playfields JJP is offering. That second line running through them instead would allow JJP to offer the spares this year, and maybe run some test units so they could just dump Mirco completely in 2022/3.

#834 2 years ago

I think they are the smallest of all the playfield companies. Could be wrong.

#835 2 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

What actions have they actually taken in terms of fixing the issue to make anyone think that they have the "intention" of fixing it?

None. Zero. Ziltch.
    They "want" to fix it... but lack the skills. Pinball is hard apparently. :rolleyes:

I know your on the correct side here and were supporting my position - feels dirty to be quoting you...

That said, JJP has demonstrated thru action they don't give a rats arse about the product they ship once it ships. Have a defective clear coat; tough shit... not their problem. Bad LED board; again - you pay them to get a fixed part... maybe; if they feel like shipping it to you.

Anyone staying in the GnR pipeline... are... well; insane.
    Anyone thinking of the next game... are even more so.
    Think people.

#836 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

None. Zero. Ziltch.
    They "want" to fix it... but lack the skills. Pinball is hard apparently. :rolleyes:
    I know your on the correct side here and were supporting my position - feels dirty to be quoting you...
    That said, JJP has demonstrated thru action they don't give a rats arse about the product they ship once it ships. Have a defective clear coat; tough shit... not their problem. Bad LED board; again - you pay them to get a fixed part... maybe; if they feel like shipping it to you.
    Anyone staying in the GnR pipeline... are... well; insane.
    Anyone thinking of the next game... are even more so.
    Think people.

Out of curiosity, have you, personally, dealt with them on a product you've purchased?

#837 2 years ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I only upvote this because of the effort you had to put into this enormous response. Kudos!

I have a lot of mixed feels about Hobbit, clearly. LOL.

#838 2 years ago
    Quoted from BrianJ1337:

His last game (LZ) flows like a Mf but because it doesn’t have a bunch of toys people aren’t fans apparently. Easily one of his best games he’s ever designed IMO.

I agree LZ is an awesome game. It didn't get the love it deserves because it doesn't have all the eye candy that GNR has. It's definitely more of a game for the hardcore players. Sometimes less is more when it comes to designing games that are fun to play and hold up over time. I hope SR can bring some of this design philosophy to JJP in his next game.

#839 2 years ago

JJP probably just wants to know how Steve can make such great games with such a low BOM. If he can do it for JJP, it's bound to help their bottom line. They won't lower their prices, though. That's a safe bet.

#840 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

JJP probably just wants to know how Steve can make such great games with such a low BOM. If he can do it for JJP, it's bound to help their bottom line. They won't lower their prices, though. That's a safe bet.

I recall reading a story on here how Steve wanted to put a magnet in front of the drop targets in Star Wars and was shut down...Still not sure if that was just a rumor or actually true. At Stern it wouldn't surprised me if something so simple was cut by Gary (who I heard has to approve every game / feature).

JJP didn't hire Steve to make empty games.

#841 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chuckwebster:

I agree LZ is an awesome game. It didn't get the love it deserves because it doesn't have all the eye candy that GNR has. It's definitely more of a game for the hardcore players. Sometimes less is more when it comes to designing games that are fun to play and hold up over time. I hope SR can bring some of this design philosophy to JJP in his next game.

Not ugly Butt ugly!

#842 2 years ago

Have heard the "Less is more" argument when it comes to LZ. That game is a lot of fun to play. However, why should it cost the same as more feature packed games if there's less in it? That's the issue a lot of people have with LZ. I just paid $9500 for a GNR LE and while I enjoyed playing LZ LE it was easy to tell what game had more in it in terms of feature, rules, animations, music, etc for nearly the same price.

With Steve + JJP I can see them making a game like LZ but in the case of them the Zeppelin would have locked balls, maybe even moved, and the bottom 2/3 of the playfield would actually have something in it (shots, magnets, drops) versus being empty.

#843 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Have heard the "Less is more" argument when it comes to LZ. That game is a lot of fun to play. However, why should it cost the same as more feature packed games if there's less in it? That's the issue a lot of people have with LZ. I just paid $9500 for a GNR LE and while I enjoyed playing LZ LE it was easy to tell what game had more in it in terms of feature, rules, animations, music, etc for nearly the same price.
    With Steve + JJP I can see them making a game like LZ but in the case of them the Zeppelin would have locked balls, maybe even moved, and the bottom 2/3 of the playfield would actually have something in it (shots, magnets, drops) versus being empty.

I prefer playing LZ to GnR but do agree it's a hard game to buy, when you see how little is in the pro for example.

#844 2 years ago
    Quoted from BrianJ1337:

LZ is widely seen as bad game. Bad callouts and poor rules. The PF is just ok. Doesnt feel like SR. I love the band but the game falls short on so many levels. Its a 5 out of 10 at best. ACDC pro and le completely blow it away.

SR should connect with JJP and take his designs to the next dimension, imo.

#845 2 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:LZ is widely seen as bad game. Bad callouts and poor rules. The PF is just ok. Doesnt feel like SR. I love the band but the game falls short on so many levels. Its a 5 out of 10 at best. ACDC pro and le completely blow it away.

I disagree wholeheartedly. The rule set is epic?! Playfield bare? Sure, but when you play the game with the EM spinner you see how the entire playfield and shots change.

GNR is proof you can put all the lights and cool videos you want but when the game just isn’t fun it isn’t. Loading it up with toys doesn’t change that.

#846 2 years ago

Led Zeppelin is the first example of a Lead Balloon in pinball.

#847 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Man what in the hell setting do you have that you're in multiball this much. There are games that I'm DYING to start Beast Multiball and can't. You must have some sort of werd settings or super sensitive beast where it activates that often. One of my complaints is how hard starting beast is. I have heard people say Hobbit is a multiball heavy game and I never understood it.

#848 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Led Zeppelin is the first example of a Lead Balloon in pinball.

I’ve played every recent stern at least 100 games. It’s easily one of the best they’ve made in the last 5 years! Especially for tourney play.

Don’t forget pinside actually had LZ ranked at #1 before the GnR fanboys raided the polls.

All I know is I had a choice of getting GnE SE or a LZ premium and looking at the current threads I’m glad I went with LZ regardless of how little toys it has.

#849 2 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

LZ is widely seen as bad game. Bad callouts and poor rules. The PF is just ok. Doesnt feel like SR. I love the band but the game falls short on so many levels. Its a 5 out of 10 at best. ACDC pro and le completely blow it away.

I don’t think any Steve Ritchie is a five but I agree AC/DC is a much better pin. AC/DC feels like his passion project. Star Trek he was riding high. For me Star Wars is where things started to slide, it felt like he wanted to do high speed and isn’t really a Star Wars guy. Black Knight he picks things up but at the same time I don’t think he got everything he wanted on that pin. Led Zeppelin feels like he is burnt out or maybe defeated that the license just doesnt leave enough to make the pin he wants. I really hope this change puts him in a position to be inspired and return to form. He is getting up there but he has time left for a masterpiece that I don’t think we would get if he was at Stern. I am not saying his pins are in any way bad he is in a class on his own comparing great pins to his other amazing pins.

#850 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I recall reading a story on here how Steve wanted to put a magnet in front of the drop targets in Star Wars and was shut down...Still not sure if that was just a rumor or actually true. At Stern it wouldn't surprised me if something so simple was cut by Gary (who I heard has to approve every game / feature).
    JJP didn't hire Steve to make empty games.

There's a drawing of the original idea for his Star Wars Prem/LE that has a magnet in front of where the tie fighter screen is, and I think maybe actual drop targets if I remember right? In earlier designs, he definitely had "The Force" moving the ball with magnetism as ANYONE who has seen the movies would expect it to have.

There are 1,188 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-ritchie-leaving-stern-for-jjp/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.