Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,188 posts
  • 261 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by PinFever
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3247CD2B-FEA7-47EF-800A-1F7D84A6BF65.gif
    7641E997-6D12-4C7A-B098-5C9970529CD3.gif
    E2F49AFD-CC2E-45F1-A9E1-8E3F5BFC7651 (resized).jpeg
    236408805_1199699550549611_2501784493730357848_n (resized).jpg
    C1A1E3D5-4C5C-4B17-A924-8FBAA9EA09DB (resized).jpeg
    076CE60D-D9DF-413D-A228-C67DBE18EDD4 (resized).jpeg
    id4.gif
    Levi.jpg
    vonnied (resized).png
    vonnied1.png (resized).jpg
    06CFDC04-2462-4FEC-A29F-1737EA195526 (resized).png
    F7E6C6B8-CFFC-4FEA-92D5-F4229B72F080 (resized).png
    C6DBB8CD-E279-479B-BCA4-D6B7E3B20CFA (resized).jpeg
    Ice-Cold-FreezeOtto (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    226290492_4667540013264558_1955446924592228163_n (resized).jpg

There are 1188 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 24.
    #501 84 days ago
    Quoted from Bud:

Pinside is so toxic and harsh it’s unbelievable.
    DAD MOMENT HERE:
    There are 3 great people pictured there at JJP and most comments are so disrespectful it’s disgusting. I would be embarrassed to have friends that make comments like I’ve seen on here.
    Instead of bashing people for the clothes and glasses they have, how about a little respect like keep your beak shut if you don’t have anything nice to say.
    Pinsiders say things like they want innovation and new ideas in pinball, yet poke fun at the very designers and manufacturers they want these things from. Kinda makes it hard to want to come into to work and innovative/create new ideas when all people do is talk trash on a personal level.
    I remember the comments when DI was revealed and it was appalling just like this tread is. These people put a ton of work in these machines just to have a group of nobodies try to tear down the hobby.
    Age and choice of clothes have nothing to do with pinball. When one sees that pic of those three guys, you should see history in the making or at the very least excitement of what lay ahead.
    I’m sure there will be mockers and downvotes at my statement, but those mockers know it’s the truth.
    Have a little respect.

I’ll never understand this whole thing of being offended because you imagined a grown ass man is so fragile his feelings are hurt by a comment on the internet that they don’t know exists. I think a legend like Ritchie deserves to a proper promo shot and announcement and not just a random cell phone pic on the front lawn Monday morning before the guy has had a cup of coffee. People call it like they see it, maybe JJP should have paid the man a little more respect. This looks like when a failing sports team gives the aging star player a front office job and you know they are just using him as a distraction from their losing season.

#502 84 days ago

All I know is I am even more jazzed to see what JJP has up its sleeves for the years to come!

#503 84 days ago
    Quoted from Bud:

Pinside is so toxic and harsh it’s unbelievable.
    DAD MOMENT HERE:
    There are 3 great people pictured there at JJP and most comments are so disrespectful it’s disgusting. I would be embarrassed to have friends that make comments like I’ve seen on here.
    Instead of bashing people for the clothes and glasses they have, how about a little respect like keep your beak shut if you don’t have anything nice to say.
    Pinsiders say things like they want innovation and new ideas in pinball, yet poke fun at the very designers and manufacturers they want these things from. Kinda makes it hard to want to come into to work and innovative/create new ideas when all people do is talk trash on a personal level.
    I remember the comments when DI was revealed and it was appalling just like this tread is. These people put a ton of work in these machines just to have a group of nobodies try to tear down the hobby.
    Age and choice of clothes have nothing to do with pinball. When one sees that pic of those three guys, you should see history in the making or at the very least excitement of what lay ahead.
    I’m sure there will be mockers and downvotes at my statement, but those mockers know it’s the truth.
    Have a little respect.

Well said, sir. At the risk of downvotes myself, yes let's go for a bit of compassion, respect and empathy. Like we would IRL.

I'm not one to speak out normally, but to those who would have a pop at Steve (because of his sunglasses as an example ), while maybe excusing it by saying "that's just Pinside" or "that's the nature of the beast" and "that's how it is", I hope that every fuse in your backbox blows, and your balls go rusty.

#504 84 days ago
    Quoted from megadeth2600:

PotC and GnR are solid games, but both are missing something

The fun?

#505 84 days ago

If JJP wants to get the best out of King Ritchie, they need to redesign their flippers!

#506 84 days ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Don't trip on all the victory lap attempts.
    The post in question doesn't really hinge on SR's actual leaving or not. As a lawyer you know this...

Do you understand what circumstantial evidence is?

Apparently not.

#507 84 days ago
    AB0D726A-4294-42ED-9F2A-73A7B22D6CF1 (resized).png
    #508 84 days ago

OUCH! ... I had fun playing both, but GnR is missing something ... I played the Data East one shortly after I played the JJP one and it just plays better (a Pinsound on one of those makes it a whole new game!). JJP's certainly looks better, but it didn't shoot nearly as well as the DE one (what's funny is that I can't stand most DE pins of the 90s ).

PotC is kind of the same, though it's the better of the two. If PotC was really someone's first professional pinball design, they have one hell of a future in the industry!

#509 84 days ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

Space Shuttle had lane change first, I think. 1984?

Firepower. 1980.

#510 84 days ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Firepower. 1980.

Everytime someone one ups another on a first reminds me of how limited these games are and every designer using what's available.

#511 84 days ago

Although I’m sick of hearing Kaneda repeat the same things and overhype GnR (and I own one but he’s delusional - POTC is better no question), it’s breaking news like this that I value hearing about early. The kid nailed it, even the day it would be announced too. Rather that than more insiders ass kissing. And Joe completely denying it earlier means I can no longer trust anything that man says. Complete BS.

I’m excited for Steve to join JJP btw. I think he’s still a great talent along with Pat who I think is still a great designer. Nice move jjp.

#512 84 days ago

Congratulations to Steve Ritchie. I haven’t met a more friendly and enjoyable pinball person yet.
    Best of Luck to Steve and JJP with this opportunity.

#513 84 days ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I’ll never understand this whole thing of being offended because you imagined a grown ass man is so fragile his feelings are hurt by a comment on the internet that they don’t know exists. I think a legend like Ritchie deserves to a proper promo shot and announcement and not just a random cell phone pic on the front lawn Monday morning before the guy has had a cup of coffee. People call it like they see it, maybe JJP should have paid the man a little more respect. This looks like when a failing sports team gives the aging star player a front office job and you know they are just using him as a distraction from their losing season.

It’s simply about respect or the golden rule. I’m sure they are all grown and get past the nasties, but why be nasty in the first place? No matter how resilient one is, they still don’t like the disrespect and it doesn’t do a bit good for any organization.

#514 84 days ago
    Quoted from Bud:

It’s simply about respect or the golden rule. I’m sure they are all grown and get past the nasties, but why be nasty in the first place? No matter how resilient one is, they still don’t like the disrespect and it doesn’t do a bit good for any organization.

Agreed. And Ritchie has said before, several times, that he didn’t like all the negativity and bashing on the internet. He went to great lengths to defend his GOT artist from what he viewed as online personal attacks. Nobody likes being bombed fir their work product after working hard on something.

#515 84 days ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Really lol? Typical Pinside Melodrama

I don’t care if SR can make cute TikToks and a FBLive video…He’s a pinball designer and an engineer…All I care about is his next design, which I’m sure will be a showstopper

#516 84 days ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Wasn’t he the first person to use the modern day wireform ramps/invent them?

upper playfields

#517 84 days ago

I can imagine only one title from Steve Ritchie that would blow up the pinball world….it’s something that Keefer has mentioned would be very fun to make….

692BD28A-D11A-4028-A710-05EAC1026AA6 (resized).png
    #518 84 days ago
    Quoted from Frax:

BKSOR with no upper playfield is a joke.

If you find one with a topper then its cheaper than buying the game by itself

#519 84 days ago
    Quoted from evh347:

I can imagine only one title from Steve Ritchie that would blow up the pinball world….it’s something that Keefer has mentioned would be very fun to make….[quoted image]

Considering Ed Boon pulled him in for the MK game itself programming in the world of pin before it, it has high potential for Steve to do the same with Ed now. So many possibilities as well for the games that don't have a big license for sequels (F-14, High Speed, etc).

#520 84 days ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

DI has unbalanced scoring, no-goal multiballs,

TZ has no goal multiballs as well. Unbalanced scoring? You know you select your modes right? Outside of which ones it picks you usually want multiball with your modes just like a classic 90s machine.

Quoted from Tranquilize:

and Bob is a side part of the game that can be pretty much ignored.

Selfie mode is good as well as monkey wrench multiball. Also bob modes can be stacked into multiball which isnt something you cant do with main modes.

Quoted from Tranquilize:

My point is that Lyman would never code a game this way, which is a good thing. I hope jjp picks him up as he'd be far more valuable than "the king" of the fan layout. That said, I'm stoked to see Lawlor and Richie under the same roof. Good games will be coming.

Sorry you dislike DI, its filled with toys, has satisfying shots and fun modes. Its the most easy to understand JJP game.

#521 84 days ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

If JJP wants to get the best out of King Ritchie, they need to redesign their flippers!

Its all in the code. They are using Williams mechs.

#522 84 days ago
    Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Really lol? Typical Pinside Melodrama
    I don’t care if SR can make cute TikToks and a FBLive video…He’s a pinball designer and an engineer…All I care about is his next design, which I’m sure will be a showstopper

I’m a big fan of Ritchie and looking forward to seeing what he does. That being said this whole thing that everyone knew but waiting for JJPs official reveal. That reveal turns out to be a half assed pic on the lawn. I don’t think anyone is disrespecting the man just laughing at the cheesy shades that are his trademark (yes I know he has eye problems). The defence feels like a lot more drama than the people having a chuckle. I hope he gets to build his masterpiece but this feels like a PR stunt.

#523 83 days ago

I hope Ritchie uses this opportunity as a chance to regain the old magic under JJP with more $$$ to work with.

Even though I haven’t been a fan of what he’s done since AC/DC (don’t forget Lyman coded that game), it’s kind of like seeing if Michael Jordan still has another season left in him.

With all of the current hate for JJP and potential buyers leaving in droves I’m wondering why anybody cares?

I do for sure. Maybe FICKLE Pinside buyers? Lol

I can already hear the screams of “take my money now”

#524 83 days ago

It’s a satchel Indiana Jones wore one!

A99DA710-5922-454B-AE8A-2B7A578F7C6D (resized).png
    #525 83 days ago

SR defecting?

What do you really think that’s all about? JJP is toast at this point. Why would he leave Stern for a sinking ship? Is JJP going to miraculously bail out the boat? Lol (Now I understand why Stern replaced SR Stern factory tour with one done by JD.) JJP doesn’t need a new designer, as they can barely get out one game every 2 years. All the PF problems won’t be solved by a new designer. Announce a new PF partner, then we might have something…

#526 83 days ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I hope Ritchie uses this opportunity as a chance to regain the old magic under JJP with more $$$ to work with.
    Even though I haven’t been a fan of what he’s done since AC/DC (don’t forget Lyman coded that game), it’s kind of like seeing if Michael Jordan still has another season left in him.
    With all of the current hate for JJP and potential buyers leaving in droves I’m wondering why anybody cares?
    I do for sure. Maybe FICKLE Pinside buyers? Lol
    I can already hear the screams of “take my money now”

Agreed, as the cancel club has already cancelled JJP with a fork stuck in the JJP sunken ship. Out of all Stern designers, SR is least favorite, as all his games except AC/DC look empty. SR never knew how to work a Stern BOM like Eddie, Gomez, Borg or Elwin does. All his games are lackluster by comparison and maybe a reason he’s out of Stern now. Stern may have given him the nudge it appears, because why would anyone in their right mind jump from the defacto leader to a known tiny boutique company like JJP (only 6 measly games in soon to be 14 years), unless they were shown the door??? My guess is SR game sales have been very dismal, especially BK and LZ, the last 2 bombed out totally. Stern decided no matter the BOM, SR doesn’t have it any longer and the only place to pasture, was a place where most buyers have already left in droves…JJP.

#527 83 days ago

Here is what I want. JJP to replace Mirco with a legit PF vendor so this Playfield issue is put to bed. Steve given carte blanche BOM. Steve makes Ozzy Pin with Ozzys blood before Ozzy crosses over into the void

It’s a basic ask, make it happen

FAAB2ADD-6ECA-4386-A2FA-94FFCE1A4720 (resized).jpeg
    #528 83 days ago

Sad, lyman is basically a footnote in that article. Hope he didn't retire.

#529 83 days ago
    Quoted from Bud:

Have a little respect.

Steve has my respect... for years.

Jack can go pound sand... given how he's treated his customers since starting JJP; I have zero respect for that tool.
    Seriously. Making people pay to fix an electrical problem with WOZ led boards... Making people pay for LED diffusers when they couldn't print the insert ink thick enough to block light. Telling people to go screw themselves over clear coat issues... making them pay for washers to cover them up.

The other dude; has my respect as a human being because I don't really follow his work much.

So; as for Steve's move... I'm honestly shocked; but not surprised. I don't know what his motivations were... but hopefully he gets to do the themes he wants at the bom costs he deserves. That said... Steve's "hiring" won't make me even consider being a Jersey Jack lame duck. No way I'm going to let Jack and his cronies shaft me the way he's done to his customers for years.
    Seriously; JJP would have to offer discounts and refunds to all his past victims and solve his obvious quality issues for several games before I would even consider Steve's next great work.

#530 83 days ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Steve has my respect... for years.
    Jack can go pound sand... given how he's treated his customers since starting JJP; I have zero respect for that tool.
    Seriously. Making people pay to fix an electrical problem with WOZ led boards... Making people pay for LED diffusers when they couldn't print the insert ink thick enough to block light. Telling people to go screw themselves over clear coat issues... making them pay for washers to cover them up.
    The other dude; has my respect as a human being because I don't really follow his work much.
    So; as for Steve's move... I'm honestly shocked; but not surprised. I don't know what his motivations were... but hopefully he gets to do the themes he wants at the bom costs he deserves. That said... Steve's "hiring" won't make me even consider being a Jersey Jack lame duck. No way I'm going to let Jack and his cronies shaft me the way he's done to his customers for years.
    Seriously; JJP would have to offer discounts and refunds to all his past victims and solve his obvious quality issues for several games before I would even consider Steve's next great work.

You might be one of a handful that won’t buy Zitt.

Jack will keep on shafting. With Steve in tow

#531 83 days ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Really; that freaking sad. very sad.
    But; if I have to be the moral leader here... that's fine. I don't mind leading a hand full of smart people.

#532 83 days ago

Iceman, there are some of us NIB buyers that won't think about a JJP NIB game unless they publicly address the playfield issues.
    The pics of playfields are horrible.

It took me 8 years to make the leap for my first NIB, I'm not a gambler, I have to much respect for $$.
    I'm not gambling on a known , ongoing JJP defect.

It CAN be fixed.
    Spooky has proven this.
    But the JJP radio silence is disturbing, it's still a small hobby, with a loud, and informed base.

Would you order The next JJP if it was announced next week?

I would not, even if was a Grail theme.
    There might be more of us than you think, mayby not......

Cheers.

#533 83 days ago

And don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for JJP to flourish, and give us more options.
    The Steve Richie move could be great, if they fix the issues, and ramp up their cadence of games.

Double Cheers.

#534 83 days ago

I typically really like Steve Richie games and JJP has had next to nothing to offer me personally, outside of kind of enjoying games of DI from time to time. I will be interested to see what happens here but I’m skeptical. I hope Steve works for a long time and puts out as many pins as he can before his retirement, but at JJPs pace, I think 2 Richie pins before he would retire is ambitious.

#535 83 days ago
    Quoted from Blindseer:

TZ has no goal multiballs as well. Unbalanced scoring? You know you select your modes right? Outside of which ones it picks you usually want multiball with your modes just like a classic 90s machine.

Not sure where TZ came from, but it definitely has goals in mb - score meaningful jackpots! It has a great jackpot shot (and reset) for the primary mb, and power mb is probably the best in all of pinball, with its defeat the power jackpot. DI has none of the intensity in its mbs. The primary mb is more useful to use for modes and to get Sims. Theatre is rarely seen, and chaos is decent but still lacks an intense goal.

The unbalanced scoring is light Bang, light mode, Bang, sim, repeat. This blows up the game so fast that there is no reason to do anything else.

Quoted from Blindseer:

Selfie mode is good as well as monkey wrench multiball. Also bob modes can be stacked into multiball which isnt something you cant do with main modes.

All of these are irrelevant with the strategy mentioned above. Plus there is a design flaw with the bottom Bob target being almost impossible to hit. Most players might see one Bob mb per game. It's just not integrated as well as it could be.

Quoted from Blindseer:

Sorry you dislike DI, its filled with toys, has satisfying shots and fun modes. Its the most easy to understand JJP game.

Logical fallacy. I didn't mention disliking the game once. I've owned it since it came out. I play it often and enjoy it. My point was, and still is, that the game has some pretty serious flaws in the code.

DI is the best jjp machine imho, but that does not mean it is beyond criticism.

I truly hope jjp hire Lyman.

#536 83 days ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

Steve's High Speed had a lot of 'firsts' - though to be honest I'm not sure if these were all Steve's ideas, or someone else at Williams at the time.

No doubt that Richie has a great great track record of new designs and inventions within pinball. But for that High Speed firsts list, at least half of it is mostly to Larry Demars credit. Where auto-percentage and switch compensation ment pushing for a memory upgrade from System 9. Which I bet he (they) had to fight for. Only to prove that these additions were hugh for operators. And sales. The extra memory also paved the way for custom message.

#537 83 days ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Jack will keep on shafting. With Steve in tow

There is an army that won’t buy not a handful. JJP has shafted too many of us to ever let it be a handful. Evidence everywhere…Those Richie greats are long ago, He’s like an old song writer with a lot of hits, that can’t find the tune he once had. New songs are all somewhat dismal at best. He’ll fit right in with JJP crowd.

#538 83 days ago

Quoted from Tranquilize:
    DI has unbalanced scoring, no-goal multiballs,

Quoted from Blindseer:

I have to agree with tranq. Di´s most turn of factor for me was the terrible scoring, making the game a one trick pony. The pointlessness and ugly art didnt help much either.

Steve will be a great asset for jjp, making them able to go with more speed and action games, if they choose to go that way.

Now they just have to make better balltrough sensors and boards. cool the flipper coils and kick mirco to the curve.

#539 83 days ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Several game? By my calculations, you won’t be able to consider Steve’s next until 2025 at the earliest

#540 83 days ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Not sure where TZ came from, but it definitely has goals in mb - score meaningful jackpots! It has a great jackpot shot (and reset) for the primary mb, and power mb is probably the best in all of pinball, with its defeat the power jackpot. DI has none of the intensity in its mbs. The primary mb is more useful to use for modes and to get Sims. Theatre is rarely seen, and chaos is decent but still lacks an intense goal.
    The unbalanced scoring is light Bang, light mode, Bang, sim, repeat. This blows up the game so fast that there is no reason to do anything else.

All of these are irrelevant with the strategy mentioned above. Plus there is a design flaw with the bottom Bob target being almost impossible to hit. Most players might see one Bob mb per game. It's just not integrated as well as it could be.

Logical fallacy. I didn't mention disliking the game once. I've owned it since it came out. I play it often and enjoy it. My point was, and still is, that the game has some pretty serious flaws in the code.

Well, in an ideal world JJP would get a new p/f supplier, and hire Lyman.

Lyman and Steve would work on something like a Black Sabbath pin.

Think that may be a win for JJP.

#541 83 days ago

My take on the SR news:

#542 83 days ago

My goodness, bitterness is on full display by some of the usual Stern fanboys. How many more times do you have to post the "JJP games are no fun" type comments? Lol. Same crap.

Don't worry Stern fanboys, be happy. With JJP The King is now unleashed!

#543 83 days ago
    Quoted from jimwe5t:

Agreed, as the cancel club has already cancelled JJP with a fork stuck in the JJP sunken ship. Out of all Stern designers, SR is least favorite, as all his games except AC/DC look empty. SR never knew how to work a Stern BOM like Eddie, Gomez, Borg or Elwin does. All his games are lackluster by comparison and maybe a reason he’s out of Stern now. Stern may have given him the nudge it appears, because why would anyone in their right mind jump from the defacto leader to a known tiny boutique company like JJP (only 6 measly games in soon to be 14 years), unless they were shown the door??? My guess is SR game sales have been very dismal, especially BK and LZ, the last 2 bombed out totally. Stern decided no matter the BOM, SR doesn’t have it any longer and the only place to pasture, was a place where most buyers have already left in droves…JJP.

C.S

#544 83 days ago

Maybe they offered steve RUSH as the next title at stern and he refused.
    Van Halen is ramping up at JJP hopefully

#545 83 days ago

Ritchie is a good guitarist.BK2000 is proof.

#546 83 days ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

I owned dialed in for about a year and a half. The scoring sucks. Period. It is all modes. The game is fun looking, shoots great, and I love the theme and its execution. But the scoring killed the game for me. I hated being in multiball. If I didn't have a mode, it would basically make me wanna drain to single ball play. That is NOT a balanced scoring game.

#547 83 days ago

And at the end of the day...
    No one cares.

#548 83 days ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

They are actually pretty rad shades, its just a little strange to see them on an older guy like SR. Don't knock a guy who likes to stay stylish. Really though, it would be a lot cooler if they were pit vipers, or what the actual cool kids are wearing these days: Heatwaves

dude, was out on the lake in party cove the other weekend and every kid had a mullet and heatwaves. ridiculous. welcome back to the 80's

#549 83 days ago

Throwback Fun glasses

monthly_05_2021_a7bfb78cbdac1af40a6536b8ddef8b23-dr-dude--bally-1990- (resized).png
    #550 83 days ago
    Quoted from alpha70:

And at the end of the day...
    No one cares.

I hate to repeat myself, but again: You care. You said the same thing four days ago, yet here you are.

There are 1188 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 24.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside