New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 110861)

Pinball Magazine Thanksgiving gift: Steve Ritchie interview + more

By unigroove

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by unigroove
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Pinball Magazine Steve Ritchie special.png

#1 6 years ago

As a special gift for Thanksgiving 2014 you can now download a 30-page special edition of Pinball Magazine, which includes:
- Interview with pinball designer Steve Ritchie
- Raffle: Win Stern Star Trek promo plastics, autographed by Steve Ritchie
- Interview with Santiago Ciuffo
- Festi'Flip 2014 by Santiago Ciuffo
- and an editorial note with news about Pinball Magazine No. 3
Pinball Magazine Steve Ritchie special.png
Link: http://www.pinball-magazine.com/?p=2404
Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving!

Jonathan

#2 6 years ago

that is awesome, thank you for posting it

#4 6 years ago

Nice! Thanks Jonathan, looking forward to reading this, happy Thanksgiving!

#6 6 years ago

The link in the email doesn't work.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

The link in the email doesn't work.

Yeah, I spent a lot of time going in circles - never managed to download the PDF...

Still appreciate the gesture, though!

#8 6 years ago

Okay, though I'll probably take some heat for this... I'm going to say it. I really wish the Steve Ritchie interview was in a printed analog edition. He's my favorite designer, and it kinda feels that with the pdf version only... he's gotten second class treatment. Don't get me wrong, I'm EXTREMELY grateful for the gift. But I have been keeping my fingers crossed that the King of Flow would be the main article in a future printed edition. It's just me. I'm weird like that and I know it. I still support and purchase everything JJ puts out. Thank you for this gift.
Murph

#9 6 years ago

I'll take free over paid any day. How did Douglas MacArthur once say it; Stolen food tastes better?

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Okay, though I'll probably take some heat for this... I'm going to say it. I really wish the Steve Ritchie interview was in a printed analog edition. He's my favorite designer, and it kinda feels that with the pdf version only... he's gotten second class treatment. Don't get me wrong, I'm EXTREMELY grateful for the gift. But I have been keeping my fingers crossed that the King of Flow would be the main article in a future printed edition. It's just me. I'm weird like that and I know it. I still support and purchase everything JJ puts out. Thank you for this gift.
Murph

They've done these free editions in the past with other people like George Gomez. There is nothing second class about it. The printed edition is more about historical articles and career retrospectives, the online version is more timely interviews. In Gomez's case, it was about his new VP roll, not about the games he's made.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from yonkiman:

Yeah, I spent a lot of time going in circles - never managed to download the PDF...
Still appreciate the gesture, though!

Same for me. Around and around. Link to email. Email should have download but only has link back to original web page. Link to email. Email link back to web page. Ugh...forget it.

#12 6 years ago

Thanks for sharing the interview! You asked some really good questions.

So when Steve mentions a ST update is he referring to the large one from a couple months back or a new one for the future? I wasn't sure when this interview took place?

#13 6 years ago

Link not working for me either…bummer.

First it says "Download Link Expired".
Then it says "Download Limit Exceeded".

Any tips on how to access? Looks like others have downloaded.

Post edited by Blitzburgh99: deytails

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Thanks for sharing the interview! You asked some really good questions.
So when Steve mentions a ST update is he referring to the large one from a couple months back or a new one for the future? I wasn't sure when this interview took place?

The interview seemed to take place at the recent dutch pinball show, so only a few weeks ago, so he's talking about an impending software update.

#15 6 years ago

Thanks for all the compliments. To address a few things mentioned above:
- If you didn't get your download link, check your spam box as well. Check your Download folder for the PDF. If you still didn't receive it, email me at editor @ pinball-magazine . com (remove the spaces) and I'll send you the PDF directly. Keep in mind it's 10 Mb so you mailbox should be large enough to receive it.

- Steve was originally interviewed for the "Others about Python Anghelo" section, as Steve worked with Python on High Speed. However we ended up talking for about half an hour and I figured it would be a pity not to use the extra material. Hence this Special Edition. It has nothing to do with giving Steve a second class treatment. We've discussed doing an in-depth career covering cover story in Pinball Magazine and I'm sure we'll get to that some day. (After the delays on Issue 3 I'm not gonna mention a time frame)

- The interview was taken at the NW Pinball & Arcade Show, but I've talked to Seve at Expo and DPO as well. At the DPO Steve mentioned in his seminar that he is getting a Star Trek LE for himself, but he wants the software to be finished first. So another update seems very likely.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside