Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 718 posts
  • 174 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Yelobird
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

robo.jpg
    family.jpg
    guy.jpg
    Screenshot_20180602-120325 (resized).png
    bowling_lane.jpg
    20180512_145039 (resized).jpg
    f214296b378c9ec88cd0b7e270c27c35c199428e (resized).jpg
    01adsfasd (resized).jpg
    BM66 (resized).png
    DSCN5798 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5794 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5795 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5793 (resized).JPG
    thLIVP55YF (resized).jpg
    800px_COLOURBOX2630929 (resized).jpg
    ra,triblend_tee,x2150,black_triblend,front-c,367,133,750,1000-bg,f8f8f8.u1 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #34 Ancient playfield pic for comparison Posted by vid1900 (5 years ago)

Post #100 Summary of Playfield hardness test with gauge by Procrastinator Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #117 Explanation of test method to determine wood hardness. Posted by swinks (5 years ago)

Post #129 Comparing the size of dimples based on hardness. Posted by TimeBandit (5 years ago)

Post #195 What is Maple plywood? How is it made? Posted by vid1900 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tranquilize.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#544 5 years ago

I’ve looked at all my machines and see dimpling and scratches on all of the play fields. The older routed machines are smooth in high traffic areas, which supports that they have been pounded smooth by 1000s of plays. Newer machines with newer clear, darker art, and brighter lighting highlight dimpling, but dimpling doesn’t affect gameplay, nor does it affect the art. If you want a perfect playfield, simply refrain from plugging the machine in. “Problem” solved.

#622 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lamprey:

I don't know if this was already posted but, I'll link to hardness tests done by Procrastinator using a rebound tester.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-bashing-justified/page/10#post-3963817

Very interesting. I will have to reexamine my machines. I thought the dimples were similar across my machines, but maybe my TZ wasn't "pounded down" to flat... My DILE seems to be the worst if any are, in fact, different.

2 weeks later
    #689 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Sorry, no offense meant to you personally but bullshit. With the ball hitting from that height over and over again in the same place there would be a ditch there or some sort of uneven area but there isn't.

Check in your outlanes, where airballs rarely hit. You'll have to do what all the dimple-peepers are doing: you'll need to get just the right glare, and you'll see them. My STTNG has them in the outlines and just behind the flippers, all places where airballs rarely hit.

It appears that the odd stern pf is slightly softer, but all pfs have light dimpling. Every machine I have, including system 11s like whirlwind and millionaire, have dimpling. It is just harder to see on some pfs due to lighting and color of the pf.

#693 5 years ago
    Quoted from ibjeepin:

Someone should do a ball drop test on playfields old and new and measure the difference. I bet you will find there is one. open the skirt area where a ball has never hit and perform a drop test........ measure with a dial gauge.

For sure there would be a slight difference. Newer wood has more moisture, but the difference would be negligible. W/B machines would have had moisture back in the 80s/90s just the same.

#709 5 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Bowling alleys never look dimpled. Make the play fields from rock Maple.

They are dimpled. You just need the perfect angle of view.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tranquilize.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-ritchie-discusses-pinball-playfield-dimpling?tu=tranquilize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.