Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 718 posts
  • 174 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Yelobird
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

robo.jpg
    family.jpg
    guy.jpg
    Screenshot_20180602-120325 (resized).png
    bowling_lane.jpg
    20180512_145039 (resized).jpg
    f214296b378c9ec88cd0b7e270c27c35c199428e (resized).jpg
    01adsfasd (resized).jpg
    BM66 (resized).png
    DSCN5798 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5794 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5795 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5793 (resized).JPG
    thLIVP55YF (resized).jpg
    800px_COLOURBOX2630929 (resized).jpg
    ra,triblend_tee,x2150,black_triblend,front-c,367,133,750,1000-bg,f8f8f8.u1 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #34 Ancient playfield pic for comparison Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #100 Summary of Playfield hardness test with gauge by Procrastinator Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Post #117 Explanation of test method to determine wood hardness. Posted by swinks (6 years ago)

Post #129 Comparing the size of dimples based on hardness. Posted by TimeBandit (6 years ago)

Post #195 What is Maple plywood? How is it made? Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rubberducks.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#196 6 years ago

There's dimpling, there's major dimpling, and then there's cratering.

The latter is a new phenomenon, the middle case is becoming more and more common. This is not normal for pinball. Certainly wasn't in the past, and shouldn't be acceptable now.

This was argued about nearly 2 years ago when it started getting really bad with GB. Most people denied it back then, but I think most realise it's now a real thing.

Explanation back then is the same now. It's young wood that hasn't been aged (dried) nearly long enough. Hence also some of the terrible 'ribbing' that's been seen lately.

If you accept this - like other cost cutting - ultimately you will be sorry, because the cost cutting will get worse and so will the end product. Imagine if there hadn't been some push back against the appalling playfield and cabinet quality that Sterns have sometimes displayed recently.

If you're a fan of Stern who for some reason wants them to 'win' and others to fail, or at least not gain market share, you're also shooting yourself in the foot. The fact is, there is competition now. If Stern (or CGC - who have also been suspect re: pfs) are given a pass, eventually it will get bad enough that people won't want to touch them, and even if they improve things, they won't be able to shake the reputation. IMO they came perilously close to this already.

You think we'd have seen a better featured, more complete Iron Maiden (certainly the best Spike era package) if people hadn't been so vocal and dissatisfied, and there wasn't competition? No chance. We'd have seen a pile of crap. Would they have hired all the new talent, at no doubt considerable cost? No chance.

#226 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Spanish games have plexiglass
    Italian games have cancer causing but super durable pfs

I doubt they used anything that was any worse than anyone else was using at the time, and all CCs are 'cancer causing'. Main difference these days is that the VOCs are designed to off-gas more quickly, rather than leeching out of them for years.

People think formaldehyde has been eliminated from adhesives, wood glues, and treatments, but it hasn't. Albeit there is less of it. Cheap ply (like the stuff Stern use for their cabs) is absolutely rife with it and other nasty stuff - hence the distinctive sickly sweet aroma that they keep for years.

That Italian games (Zacc) had some kind of weapons grade nasties in them and that a number of the line workers died very quickly is just an urban myth AFAIK.

The wood, both cabinet and pf, is just really top notch. At least it is on my Farfalla. Mine might have seen relatively little use, but everything inside the cabinet literally looks like it just came out of the factory. Everything except the flipper bats (which are total crap) is serious quality. The standard of the plastics, prints and metal beat anything else I've ever seen easily.

#280 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

That would agree with the testing that was done. Met was the second hardest Stern playfield tested, almost to the level of the "softest" JJP playfield (which was plenty hard):
    (Stern) MET: 157 HB
    (Stern) ST PRE: 161 HB
    (JJP) TH: 163 HB
    Problematic playfields were ones like Ghostbusters, BM'66, etc. WAY softer than Met or any JJP playfield. One of the GBs tested was less than 100.

Must have missed the link / thread to this testing ... can you post it?

#300 6 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

My new Houdini has over 120 plays on it, and if you really look hard thru the invisiglass you can find about a dozen barely visible shallow dimples.
    And thats the way it is with balls flying fast and bouncing all over, it is not a slow game. Nobody can convince me that playfield dimples in number are a normal thing after owing this game a few weeks. Higher quality playfields than Stern's CAN be made and its doubtful American Pinball will release their manufacturing secrets, and it is doubtful that Stern will spend the extra money to make their playfields with matching quality.

AP use Mirco pfs. Though it's been suggested that they may stop doing that, and hinted by some they might use Churchill - who are obviously lower quality.

#339 6 years ago
    Quoted from JJHLH:

I disagree that Churchill has “obviously lower quality”. They have been making playfields for decades, including the classic Bally/Williams games, and have an excellent reputation. During the GB ghosting insert drama customers were hoping they received a Churchill playfield instead of one of defective playfields made by FUN Enterprises.

They've produced a lot of problematic playfields lately, though, and they are clearly inferior. We've never seen Mirco playfields with the ribbing, planking, heavy dimpling, cratering or with multiple ghosted / raised inserts. Plenty of Churchill pfs like that. Mirco certainly aren't perfect, but they are better.

If they didn't have a better product and reputation, I doubt AP would have gone for a more expensive international supplier rather than a cheaper, 'industry leading' one just down the road from them.

#412 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Here's some playfield pics of on location games at Marvins in Michigan. Please note that the number and dpeth of dimples on each game is impacted by number of plays. Out of the games below WOZ has been on location there the longest I believe, followed by Batman 66, Ghostbusters (or reverse that), Star Wars, Attack from Mars Remake, Houdini and finally GOTG (or reverse between last two).
    Based on the pics WOZ appears to have the least amount of dimpling and Star Wars or Batman the most. Houdini appears to have a ton of dimpling for being on location for relatively a short period of time but I'm sure the high number of missed shots on the game helped with that.
    Damn it, I just realized I spent a decent chunk of time taking pics of dimples and posting about it, lol.

Even this guy is surprised to see dimples on all the games! On a serious note you don't even notice the dimples head on.

Though nowhere near as bad as some of the other pictures, that's easily the worst dimpling I've seen on a Mirco pf, on that Houdini.

I rather suspect that now he needs to supply so much more, some corners are being cut (in light of the clear chipping issues on DI).

The BM'66 is pretty bad, as is the Star Wars (which has both reasonably heavy dimpling and ribbing). Some of the bigger depressions on the BM'66 are worthy of being called craters. IMO this shouldn't be acceptable.

#424 6 years ago

It's good in theory, but a lot of bamboo (ply) flooring warps badly. Probably due to shitty processing. But still, I'd be wary.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rubberducks.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-ritchie-discusses-pinball-playfield-dimpling?tu=rubberducks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.