Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 718 posts
  • 174 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Yelobird
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

robo.jpg
    family.jpg
    guy.jpg
    Screenshot_20180602-120325 (resized).png
    bowling_lane.jpg
    20180512_145039 (resized).jpg
    f214296b378c9ec88cd0b7e270c27c35c199428e (resized).jpg
    01adsfasd (resized).jpg
    BM66 (resized).png
    DSCN5798 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5794 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5795 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5793 (resized).JPG
    thLIVP55YF (resized).jpg
    800px_COLOURBOX2630929 (resized).jpg
    ra,triblend_tee,x2150,black_triblend,front-c,367,133,750,1000-bg,f8f8f8.u1 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #34 Ancient playfield pic for comparison Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #100 Summary of Playfield hardness test with gauge by Procrastinator Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Post #117 Explanation of test method to determine wood hardness. Posted by swinks (6 years ago)

Post #129 Comparing the size of dimples based on hardness. Posted by TimeBandit (6 years ago)

Post #195 What is Maple plywood? How is it made? Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metallik.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#273 6 years ago

Skimmed through most of this, but gotta say.. I have the supposedly-soft 12-ply Mirco playfield in my Met LE, and it's pretty much the best playfield I've seen in a modern Stern. Dimpling is very minor despite crazy airballs (never installed sparky protectors), no woodgrain showing, no chipping or ghosting, very smooth clear and inserts. The game's gotten thousands of plays.. to the point I've already had to change Sparky's magnet but the PF is holding up great with zero wear. Maybe they got mutant birch trees or something, but this playfield is definitely much better than average for Stern.

Need to check my WOZ, not sure who made its playfield. Its dimpling is also very minor and with zero woodgrain showing, but the clear is a bit more brittle.

Compared to these, the BM66 I saw at a show once with craters for dimples.. there was definitely something wrong with that Batman playfield.

#352 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

It's not SOLID maple, right? The difference is likely some combination of veneers and cores that are different somehow. When I say "softer wood" I mean the finished wood product that I assumed everyone realized wasn't solid maple. There is CLEARLY a difference. You can see it with more, deeper divots, and the tests done on that dozen or so playfields lined up pretty perfectly with the observed "issue" playfields.

With the MetLE and WOZ playfields, the fact they're 12ply is likely the difference... 12ply of birch is harder than 7 of maple, or at least that would seem to be the case.

As for those particularly egregious examples (BM66 and GB) that had much deeper than normal dimples - Stern probably just got a bad batch of wood. I haven't seen any games in a year or so that looked really abnormal... just batmans and GBs. Everything else since then has the normal light dimpling that any game gets. Hopefully the problem is behind us.

#409 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

And that makes total sense. WOZ was probably the last dimly lit pinball machine made, and it was the oldest/most played in the group. The more plays, the flatter the playfield appears. The dimmer the GI, the less obvious the surface texture.

Naw, there's something wrong with the Batman game. You could go over every square inch of my MetLE playfield and you wouldn't find damage even half as bad as this Batman playfield. And my Met has had plenty of airballs and plenty of plays (although not the tens of thousands required to completely dimple the entire surface). It's the supposedly softer Birch as well.

Is it really that hard to envision that some playfields were simply made with substandard plywood? Young trees, diseased trees, wrong trees, whatever.. my eyes don't lie.

New-1 (resized).pngNew-1 (resized).png

#416 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Where would you buy this "substandard plywood"? Show me any place on the entire earth that sells Lumber Core Hard Maple plywood in some lower grade.

You don't. You buy "Lumber Core Hard Maple plywood" like usual and you just happen to get a batch that isn't as hard as prior batches. Trees of the same species can grow differently and have slightly different wood densities. I'm not saying Stern did this on purpose, I'm saying sh*t happens.

2 weeks later
    #624 5 years ago

Can't believe this is 13 pages long now and some of you can't grasp the fact that there was, for whatever reason, just a crummy batch of playfields around BM66 production time. It's not like everyone suddenly and simultaneously decided this was a problem - basic visual observation of damage showed those playfields were different, hence the discussion. That BSD dimple looks about half the size of the craters I've seen on BM66.

Just like the GB ghosting issue.. amazing how that's no longer a problem now that Stern (supplier) fixed whatever the hell was wrong with that process.

I'm just glad the F'd up playfields are for shitty games and not the good one (Maiden!)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metallik.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-ritchie-discusses-pinball-playfield-dimpling?tu=metallik and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.