Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 718 posts
  • 174 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Yelobird
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

robo.jpg
    family.jpg
    guy.jpg
    Screenshot_20180602-120325 (resized).png
    bowling_lane.jpg
    20180512_145039 (resized).jpg
    f214296b378c9ec88cd0b7e270c27c35c199428e (resized).jpg
    01adsfasd (resized).jpg
    BM66 (resized).png
    DSCN5798 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5794 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5795 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5793 (resized).JPG
    thLIVP55YF (resized).jpg
    800px_COLOURBOX2630929 (resized).jpg
    ra,triblend_tee,x2150,black_triblend,front-c,367,133,750,1000-bg,f8f8f8.u1 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #34 Ancient playfield pic for comparison Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #100 Summary of Playfield hardness test with gauge by Procrastinator Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Post #117 Explanation of test method to determine wood hardness. Posted by swinks (6 years ago)

Post #129 Comparing the size of dimples based on hardness. Posted by TimeBandit (6 years ago)

Post #195 What is Maple plywood? How is it made? Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcluvin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#88 6 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

Im not sure about dimples, but he could win a Roy Orbison look alike contest.

I was kinda getting a Mr. Mackey meets old Terminator vibe. Definitely some Orbison there though. Are those Gargoyles he's wearing?

#244 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

This thread has taken a fantastic turn like the good old days.
    Won’t last long unfortunately

Where's the photoshop guy? This thread needs a Steve with rose-colored glasses to be complete.

#369 6 years ago

I'm surprised Stern doesn't treat this as an opportunity to make a few more bucks with a factory installed hard top option.

#411 6 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Naw, there's something wrong with the Batman game. You could go over every square inch of my MetLE playfield and you wouldn't find damage even half as bad as this Batman playfield. And my Met has had plenty of airballs and plenty of plays (although not the tens of thousands required to completely dimple the entire surface). It's the supposedly softer Birch as well.
    Is it really that hard to envision that some playfields were simply made with substandard plywood? Young trees, diseased trees, wrong trees, whatever.. my eyes don't lie.

That looks like shi*! Stern, your bread, and butter are smart guys with the disposable income to buy really expensive toys. I know you don't want to believe it, but please don't treat them like idiots.

#510 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Here we go again.....don’t say anything O-din!
    It turns out they do use different wood type core and CPR and Stern is Venner plywood.
    From CPR website:
    What kind of wood are CPR's playfields made from?
    CPR only uses the very best wood we can get our hands on. Currently we use a very expensive custom made wood from Wisconsin. It has four layers of Maritime Hard Rock Maple and three interior layers of white ash. Normal Stern wood is a .5325" thick with one good face of 0.060" veneer. We upped this specification considerably. We use two THICK 0.080" face veneers (25% thicker than normal) which allows our CNC operator, Tanner to pick the very best side for your PF and we upped the thickness of the board to 0.545" which gives a better balance with the veneers and reduces warping. The thicker face veneers on our wood (25% thicker than anything in use anywhere) means a much denser wood surface and less ball dimples than anything ever made. Some of our finished PFs weigh more than 15lbs, and are so dense we have seen certain examples of ours PFs almost double the weight of a factory NOS board!

And here I am worried about these new Earthshaker playfields because of all this Stern playfield BS. Time to place my order.

#528 6 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Just looks like two different kinds of wood. Pine and maybe cherry? Probably not even old/new growth, the text reads like some scare-mongering political garbage.

It's legit. I see it referenced all the time how old wood is better than new wood. They dive for the stuff down here in Florida too.

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/09/24/us/with-timber-scarce-old-logs-deep-in-a-lake-become-a-sunken-treasure.html

#590 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

That's not the kind of dimpling were seeing in Sterns, this is like an "Orange Peel" translation= normal shallower dimples. Now look at this BM66

The magnet dimples tells you it's the f'n clear. That looks like shit.

#599 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Wait. There's clear coat on the magnet? WAT?

There isn't? I don't own a pin with a magnet. Well, I own a basket case BK that I've never played. Regardless, you can say that's just the way it is, but that BM looks like shit.

#602 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

No clearcoat on Stern magnet cores.
    It does not need clear for protection, has Stainless Steel ring.

I get that stainless shouldn't need clear for protection, but maybe they cleared it anyway? Anyway, has anyone tested brass balls?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcluvin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-ritchie-discusses-pinball-playfield-dimpling?tu=mcluvin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.