Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 718 posts
  • 174 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Yelobird
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

robo.jpg
    family.jpg
    guy.jpg
    Screenshot_20180602-120325 (resized).png
    bowling_lane.jpg
    20180512_145039 (resized).jpg
    f214296b378c9ec88cd0b7e270c27c35c199428e (resized).jpg
    01adsfasd (resized).jpg
    BM66 (resized).png
    DSCN5798 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5794 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5795 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5793 (resized).JPG
    thLIVP55YF (resized).jpg
    800px_COLOURBOX2630929 (resized).jpg
    ra,triblend_tee,x2150,black_triblend,front-c,367,133,750,1000-bg,f8f8f8.u1 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #34 Ancient playfield pic for comparison Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #100 Summary of Playfield hardness test with gauge by Procrastinator Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Post #117 Explanation of test method to determine wood hardness. Posted by swinks (6 years ago)

Post #129 Comparing the size of dimples based on hardness. Posted by TimeBandit (6 years ago)

Post #195 What is Maple plywood? How is it made? Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fytr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#209 6 years ago

I’ve noticed dimpling seems far more noticeable on a dark or black playfield section vs. a light colored one. My TNA has some fairly nasty dimpling in the dark section in front of the left scoop kickout, right where the light from the LCD reflects off the clearcoat, really accents it.

Nothing to be done about it, but it feels like getting that first scratch on a new car. Which is why I usually buy used...

#330 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Play it more and it will magically smooth back out.

I will say that the dimpling on my TNA in front of the left scoop does seem to be less noticeable as they accumulate over time as the region flattens out more uniformly. I tried to take a picture but couldn't get my camera to focus where the reflection hits the PF.

I do not care for the look of a dimpled playfield. Perhaps I have a mild case of trypophobia.

This raises the question though, if a playfield will eventually evenly compress due to ball hits so the dimpling is not noticeable, why can't the PF manufacturer "pre-compress" the top layer of the PF wood before it is painted and cleared so it would be less susceptible to dimpling? Hammer it with a million ball hits or a giant press or something?

#430 6 years ago

The weird part is how deep and steep some of the dimples appear to be. if you look at that Houdini, they don't even follow the shape/curvature of the ball. it's like someone put small pebbles on the playfield and pounded them in. I guess I don't understand how these are being created.

The deep ones creep me out. The others seems fine/normal.

#449 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

It appears they are fine Law. They keep raising prices and selling pins as fast as they can make them.
    I guess its just a very small minority that like to bitch and complain non stop about anything and everything, with the vast majority not giving a shit about pulling out a magnifying glass and blowing a nut over a few dimples.
    If it wasn't dimples it would be something else, maybe the Russians are at fault.

Lots of people will buy Maiden in SPITE of the fact it’s a Stern game, not because of it. They will consider Stern’s recent poor quality issues (dimplegate excluded) and naively hope it doesn’t happen to them. I’m currently one of them, holding my nose and hoping the clear doesn’t chip in the first 100 games like my MET did, the inserts aren’t 90% crazed or ghosted, that the decals don’t fall off the cabinet, that the cabinet doesn’t come apart under home use only conditions.

I also know a lot of other local collectors who felt burned by GB and SW and won’t be buying anything from Stern in the foreseeable future.

This is not something to celebrate or gloat over.

#489 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

How was Hard Maple any harder before the year 2000?
    It was 1400 Janka then, and it's 1400 Janka now.

Well see, there's the problem, Stern's playfields are too "Janka-y".

1 week later
    #547 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It's sad that a game that only got 5 years of play, and was protected by some of the thickest Mylar I've ever pulled, and was made from "old growth" 1985 Maple, still had dimples.
    Could it be that a steel ball is still harder than "old growth" Maple + Mylar????

My God look at that thing! No wonder they decided to pull it from the rotation...

All I can say is just because they've been building pinball playfields out of substandard materials for the entire history of the game doesn't mean someone shouldn't look to improve the situation now. If we play our cards right and start making playfields out of long lived synthetic materials maybe one day when you walk along an unmaintained shore somewhere you can wade through interesting old pinball playfields instead of empty water bottles and caps... "Look at this one, not a mark on it!"

#566 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

My God look at that thing! No wonder they decided to pull it from the rotation...
    All I can say is just because they've been building pinball playfields out of substandard materials for the entire history of the game doesn't mean someone shouldn't look to improve the situation now. If we play our cards right and start making playfields out of long lived synthetic materials maybe one day when you walk along an unmaintained shore somewhere you can wade through interesting old pinball playfields instead of empty water bottles and caps... "Look at this one, not a mark on it!"

Oops. Forgot the emoji!

There is certainly a marketing opportunity here for some young interested pinball company to come up with a none-dimpling playfield. It clearly bothers some people quite a bit and I'm sure folks would pay a little extra to have a playfield without the wear/fault characteristics of a traditional maple ply pf.

Like I said before, they could probably just pre-pressurize the PF to compress the top layers the same way the ball does over time. How hard can that be?

#581 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Again, you are wildly grasping at any straw in the haystack.
    No wood is harder than Iron.
    So if the magnet core is dimpling, even if made from Iron, Steel, Cast Iron, Nickel Steel, Stainless Steel, the wood around it will not be harder.

Oh yeah, what about "Ironwood"?

Seriously though, I have no doubt that dimpling is normal, always happened, etc. So I see no argument with what vid1900 has been telling us. I also wonder if some of the more extreme examples aren't games that have unresolved ball launch issues where the PF in an area is being slammed over and over onto the same patch of PF in a semi-abusive manner.

I agree dimpling is normal, etc. I would still prefer a PF that didn't dimple if possible.

2 weeks later
    #694 5 years ago

I wonder how much the increased awareness of dimples is simply due to games going into a home use environment that don’t get enough plays to level out the playfield in a noticeable time frame?

Back in the day a game was routed for years before a collector picked it up so dimples were everywhere and didn’t stand out as much. Now everyone has these games in their basements and they get stuck in the “highly noticeable” phase of dimpiliation (tm) for long periods of time since the games get so few plays.

My TNA had very noticeable dimples right away but it’s on location and I can already see them flattening out in high traffic areas. By the time I bring it home it should like any other routed 90’s Williams game with a nice uniform pf appearance.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fytr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-ritchie-discusses-pinball-playfield-dimpling?tu=fytr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.