Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 718 posts
  • 174 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Yelobird
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

robo.jpg
    family.jpg
    guy.jpg
    Screenshot_20180602-120325 (resized).png
    bowling_lane.jpg
    20180512_145039 (resized).jpg
    f214296b378c9ec88cd0b7e270c27c35c199428e (resized).jpg
    01adsfasd (resized).jpg
    BM66 (resized).png
    DSCN5798 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5794 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5795 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5793 (resized).JPG
    thLIVP55YF (resized).jpg
    800px_COLOURBOX2630929 (resized).jpg
    ra,triblend_tee,x2150,black_triblend,front-c,367,133,750,1000-bg,f8f8f8.u1 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #34 Ancient playfield pic for comparison Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #100 Summary of Playfield hardness test with gauge by Procrastinator Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Post #117 Explanation of test method to determine wood hardness. Posted by swinks (6 years ago)

Post #129 Comparing the size of dimples based on hardness. Posted by TimeBandit (6 years ago)

Post #195 What is Maple plywood? How is it made? Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#269 6 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

I just hope they don't add your name to the "where are they now" thread vid.
    I've learned a LOT from your postings through the years.

Oh, he made it into the "where are they now" thread alright:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-forgotten-where-are-they-now/page/2#post-4266420

But as usual, reports of his death were greatly exaggerated.

#271 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I thought as usual it was just somone guessing and then people picking it up as "info."

You thought correctly.

#274 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

What will hit the ground first...a steel pinball or a maple playfield (trick question).

What angle are you dropping that playfield at?

#293 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

It's not SOLID maple, right? The difference is likely some combination of veneers and cores that are different somehow. When I say "softer wood" I mean the finished wood product that I assumed everyone realized wasn't solid maple. There is CLEARLY a difference. You can see it with more, deeper divots, and the tests done on that dozen or so playfields lined up pretty perfectly with the observed "issue" playfields.

I haven’t followed this too closely, but how certain are you that it’s a wood issue vs a clear coat issue?

#307 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

No one has said all Stern playfields are softer than others.

They haven't?

#311 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Clearly not, the vast majority of Sterns out there that look great. This has always been an issue with a limited number of pins. If pinside would just take a breath and not go protect the hive at the mention of a flaw things would be far more rational.

It's not my hive so I've got nothing to protect, I'll leave that to Gary Stern. But I think I've read plenty of posts arguing that Stern playfields made over the past few years are universally more prone to dimpling than other manufacturers. Which may or may not be true, but people are definitely saying it.

#313 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

First I have never seen anyone say that every Stern playfield between a specific set of years is softer than another manufacturer in the same period. You're just exagrations the facts. Even if they did say that you know it's nonsense because there is no way to observe or prove this assertion. If people would just try and tone down the hyperbole, maybe a reasonable conversation could exist.

Well at least we agree that if anyone ever said it, it's nonsense.

#316 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

If they simple rejected any plywood that tested less than X all of this would be resolved.

Assuming that any of this has anything to do with the hardness of the wood. But what if the clearcoat is a contributing factor or the sole cause of the perceived dimpling issue?

#326 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I got rid of all and any games that showed any signs of excessive dimpling.
    Call me OCD or anal if you will, but I just couldn't hang with a playfield that has the texture of a Valencia orange.

You're more of an avocado man if I remember correctly.

#365 6 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

Has anyone determined if Predator suffers from any dimpling? And if not, who made the playfields along with the type of wood and clearcoat did they use?

Speaking of hammered dogshit ...

2 weeks later
    #559 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

The flat earther was just the end of the road for me, there is only so much hyperbole, spin and nonsense I can tolerate. There is no debate, discussion or intelligence to had, its just rant that I am all knowing and constantly spout completely irrelevant stupidity. When they need to go flat earther it's time for an ignore. You have been on point with every thing you have said.

Excellent call, put the guy that's posted 10x more helpful stuff on Pinside than the rest of us in this thread combined ever will on ignore.

#564 5 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I apprecaite Vid, I just don't agree with his mantra over my own eyes. I own and owned many Sterns machines. Also Bally/Williams Gottliebs, I've seen the difference in real life so I'm only debating that. No the rest of the helpful thing Vid has posted. Btw, can I still like Vid and disagree with him, or should I consider him a diety and just take his word as gospl?

Disagree with Vid all you want. I just think it'd be silly to put one of the best resources on Pinside on ignore over a debate like this. (I realize you weren't suggesting that, but the guy I responded to was).

#569 5 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

My own unproven theory is that there was a problem with the pfs and after BM66 (or during production) they may have switched gears and rectified. AS pfs look amazing, everyone say so too. It's not too far fetched to think, perhaps with the new facility and new production levels at Stern coulpled with JJP, Spooky and CG demand for pfs may have led them to source alternate providers which may have not had as high a standard. ?

But then some people were up in arms about SW dimpling, with playfields presumably made after at least the first run of AS. Anyone know if GOTG shows any dimpling? Haven't followed that plotline.

#573 5 years ago

Factual question, is the magnet core "soft iron" or "solid steel"?

Quoted from kvan99:

You point to the soft iron magnet core dimple over the huge craters in the wood to tell us Steel is harder than wood.

Quoted from vid1900:

If the solid steel magnet core is covered in dimples, do you expect that the wood right next to it, will be dimple free? How would that be possible?

#623 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Very interesting. I will have to reexamine my machines. I thought the dimples were similar across my machines, but maybe my TZ wasn't "pounded down" to flat... My DILE seems to be the worst if any are, in fact, different.

Impossible, everyone knows that JJP games don’t dimple.

#635 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Every person named Jody that I know is a woman.
    It's like people tell me that they know a guy named Kim, but I've only met female Kim's.
    I lead a sheltered life, I know.....

You know a Boy Named Sue?

#654 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Hilton bought me some pretty nice gluten free beers once.

Quoted from Aurich:

Wait, it having contact with Jody bad? He didn't buy me any beers.

SuspectSuspect

1 week later
    #672 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

As long as nobody comments on my crusty nails

I was going to say, your hand bears a striking resemblance to that BM66 playfield. Time to moisturize.

#687 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Sorry, no offense meant to you personally but bullshit. With the ball hitting from that height over and over again in the same place there would be a ditch there or some sort of uneven area but there isn't.

Have you tried looking up close with the glass off, game lights off, and a more natural lighting source? I'm not saying it's the whole story, but I do think game lighting plays a big part in how noticeable dimpling is on games. Today's LEDs tend to cast a much stronger, harsher glow, so imperfections pop that might have slipped by with incandescents.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-ritchie-discusses-pinball-playfield-dimpling?tu=fosaisu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.