Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 718 posts
  • 174 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Yelobird
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

robo.jpg
    family.jpg
    guy.jpg
    Screenshot_20180602-120325 (resized).png
    bowling_lane.jpg
    20180512_145039 (resized).jpg
    f214296b378c9ec88cd0b7e270c27c35c199428e (resized).jpg
    01adsfasd (resized).jpg
    BM66 (resized).png
    DSCN5798 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5794 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5795 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5793 (resized).JPG
    thLIVP55YF (resized).jpg
    800px_COLOURBOX2630929 (resized).jpg
    ra,triblend_tee,x2150,black_triblend,front-c,367,133,750,1000-bg,f8f8f8.u1 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #34 Ancient playfield pic for comparison Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #100 Summary of Playfield hardness test with gauge by Procrastinator Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Post #117 Explanation of test method to determine wood hardness. Posted by swinks (6 years ago)

Post #129 Comparing the size of dimples based on hardness. Posted by TimeBandit (6 years ago)

Post #195 What is Maple plywood? How is it made? Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Procrastinator.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#286 6 years ago

Honestly, I don’t care enough to check the moisture. I checked the playfields in real world conditions. The scale is off As to the actual hardness numbers, but the comparisons don’t lie. Also, a larger sample size would be great, but again, I don’t care enough. I checked a dozen of what was available to me. The results don’t lie, some were “harder” than others. Finding out why is a complex and expensive endeavor, and I did the test just to check with what I was personally seeing on my own pins.

As I’ve said before, do I think it’s a big deal? Meh, probably not. I’m gonna play it if it’s a cratered mess or not. The fact that I had two NIB pins with similar plays next to each other...one looking like hammered dogshit and the other looking pristine peaked my interest enough to check. I’m a consultant for a living, and do materials analysis daily. If someone’s chooses to disagree and says they are all mostly the same, great. The information is there to do with it as you wish. Again, I have no bias one way or another, but I decided to check based off what I personally saw. The results don’t lie. With the hardness scale being off, it may be that the playfields are closer in “hardness” than it actually seems. It is curious one of the “softest” playfields had ghosting issues, but freak things happen all the time.

Also, as I posted before, drop tests don’t mean a lot unless you’re achieving max force. Crashing two cars into a wall at 15 mph and both crumpling one foot doesn’t mean much. You only will find out by ratcheting up the force and crashing both cars into the wall at 50mph, and seeing one crumple 18 inches and the other 24 inches to truly compare. Only then can you see the difference between them. If you stuck with the 15 mph test you may think they all are the same.

Overall, something is different between the playfields. Is it the apocalypse? No. Does it make a major difference in the enjoyment of the pin? Probably not. It’s just another intricacy of the long and complex manufacturing process where the slightest change can make a big difference in the end product. Other than the data speaking for itself, I’m still going to play my pins, even looking like hammered dogshit or not.

#301 6 years ago

A dozen playfields is more than enough to see there’s a difference. Again, I don’t know the reasoning, I just know the results. Could it be the clear, wood, moisture, etc? Sure. It can always be figured out, but the question is if it’s financially viable. The test was just done to see if there is a difference, and I believe it showed there is, backing up what some people thought they saw.

Just as an example, a major airplane manufacturer kept getting batches of aluminum parts that were the wrong temper. A few weeks later and almost $100k in cost, we finally found the issue. While the parts were being transferred to another building, one guy on night shift would stop for a smoke break. Even though it was only a short time, the below freezing temps and the parts not fully cured caused the temper to change. It can be some minuscule change has a big effect down the line.

Again, I don’t think this is a huge deal. I’m going to play it either way, but there is a difference in some playfields. The fact one of the softest readings had ghosting issues may be something, but a way more scientific approach would be needed to know for sure.

#341 6 years ago

What a joke. If you can’t extrapolate data from a dozen readings, that’s on you. First it was you need a destructive testing device, then it was moisture and now it’s sample size. It was a simple and quick test to see if there was a difference. There was. The data is there for people to make up their own mind. You choose not to believe it, or believe it is so flawed that isn’t valid at all, then so be it. I did it for myself and shared the results. I can’t make any definitive statements as to cause because I truly don’t know. Could it be a coincidence that the softest play field had ghosting issues? Sure. Is their likely some correlation between the hardness and ghosting? Maybe.

Again, the data is there to do with it as you wish. Don’t believe it or think it’s flawed? Great. Ignore it, I’m sure you have a better method and will post your results. I did it for myself, and I’m glad some found it useful. Honestly I’m just trying to kill the time in between plays of my hammered dogshit play field... it’s good to know that more dimples will smooth it all out to a high gloss shine after long enough. Pfft

#348 6 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

It's hard to take someone's data seriously when they say things like "hammered dogshit".

Oh no! Please let me apologize for my language! Do you want to send me your approved words for use on a pinball forum?

You must of mistaken me for someone who gives a shit if you believe what i posted. Don’t, ignore it. It’s clearly an uphill battle with anyone offended by the word dogshit.

#355 6 years ago
    Quoted from dzoomer:

Keep banging that FAKE NEWS drum . LOL at your continued insistent ignorance with using a sample of two whole JJP pins to draw any conclusion. Again, basic math stats logic laughs at such comparisons; as if samples of one or two pins are representative of a manufacturer overall. And now adding anecdotal BM66 and GB visuals to the cherry picking fallacy hilarity. The fact that you then continue the hyperbole and run with a sweeping generalization fallacy that that "virtually every Stern, and all the recent ones are softer than JJP" is the trifecta and show us that your posts and opinions should be flushed down the toilet, where they belong. And what's all this about "recent" Sterns? That sample size for Stern is also basic math stat laughable and now we are at FAKE squared. Fake news king alert. Pinside reaps what it sows and logic is long gone. Maybe we need a graph.

LOL, what difference? The question that so many absolutely fail miserably at here is if the difference is actually "significant". Thanks to people with brains throughout human history, there's a discipline that has been developed to logically analyze and interpret data; it's called statistics.
    Absolutely hilarious the gross logical fallacies and extremely basic logic fails all over this thread. Since no one has attempted to actually evaluate the results in a meaningful manner (the only meaningful manner is using actual statistical math analysis), all the talk of differences has been nothing more than WAG and BS. The numbers mean nothing, nada, zilch until someone actually actually does that and "properly" uses statistical analysis to see what the significance of the difference is. Any conclusions posted about any significant difference in this thread are FAKE NEWS.

A start could be to run with basic probability theory, consider the results indicative of a standard normal population and distribution and calculate the mean and standard deviation. Then look at how much variation there is from the mean based on the distribution (including for any one example) for any one measured sample, though it's still a crude estimate with lots of shortcomings as one is lumping all the different manufactures and types of pfs over decades of production (and production changes). But it's much better than the FAKE CRAP many here are posting. From that one will be able to determine what the variance means in real terms with regards to the sample population and distribution. This is often reported as +- 1 SD, +-2 SD, and +-3 SD which correspond to the values that fall within 68%, 95%, and 99.7% of the distribution, respectively. And the only info you will get from this is an understanding of how a hardness result from any one pf relatively compares in relation to the overall average measured hardness from the 12 pfs of various ages from various manufacturers.
    Where some here have been separating out pf types and/or # of plys and/or manufacturers into even smaller sample sizes and then advancing the idea that there are differences (often repeatedly)... is a sad joke. That's statistically ridiculous, ludicrous and hilarious. There simply is not enough data from which to generate any meaningful distribution of the sample population. FAKE NEWS.

Sorry this upset you so much. It’s evident you are really bothered by all this. You’re free to ignore whatever you want since you obviously can’t pull anything of value from the readings, as I’ve said...a dozen times. Apparently you take this so seriously you think we need a full blown study to get any results, which I’m excited to see you do since you are so passionate about it.

Once again, I sincerely apologize for you getting so upset by this and if I would have known I never would’ve posted...pfft. Also, thanks for schooling me that even a small amount of data is better than none at all. Any more pearls of wisdom feel free to shoot them over! (Sans all the Insane adjectives)

#359 6 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I'm not offended at all by "hammered dogshit", it just shows a clear bias. That's all I'm saying.

You don’t even know what pin I had a problem with (MMRLE), and trying to pull anything from my completely imaginary statement is ridiculous.

#360 6 years ago
    Quoted from dzoomer:

Fake news is a disease and this site lives and breathes it. If you read my comments a little more closely you'll find that I didn't say there was no value. There's a bit of specific value that I even took the time to specifically describe and show how to determine. Is that a bad thing? And since when did mean and standard deviation calculations become a full blown study; that's just hyperbole and setting the bar as low as possible. It seems some people would rather obliviously embrace fake news and not be bothered at all than make an effort to even read about or attempt to understand logic and truth.
    It was great to see some numbers posted and the work done to get the numbers. But the numbers haven't been worked up by anyone here and certainly can't be extrapolated to so many of the crazy conclusions on the forum that many gleefully fake post about.

It’s hard to make head or tails of your entire bloviated post, and I have never made a definitive statement one way or another. I simple said they are different. Take from that what you will.

I could be biased in that I saw what looked to be abnormal wear, tested it, and for the most part the readings lined up with what I visually was seeing. Honestly though, I don’t care enough to spend any more time on it. It was enough for me to develop an opinion. You clearly desire more info, so you should take the torch and show everyone how it’s done. I’m glad you’ve seemingly calmed down from your first post, because I hated seeing someone get so upset over something as ridiculous as a playfield. Best of luck in your search for statistical truth.

#381 6 years ago
    Quoted from dzoomer:

Procrastinator has now said that he sought out abnormal wear pfs to test. Shocker, abnormal wear pfs show less hardness. The way you wildly extrapolate continues to ignore basic logic. Large numbers of observations? There are thousands of Stern pins sold every year and tens of pf's reported with abnormal wear issues or potential softness. If your going to latch on the number of reported abnormal wear pfs reported at least make a basic attempt to be honest and acknowledge the number of pfs/pins Stern sells every year. And the recent harping on and on about this in the forum obviously results more confirmation bias from additional reporting than earlier. Extrapolation is fake news without more data. And the whole discussion is separate from what Stern has said; strange, I haven't seen anyone in this thread using Stern communications to justify pf integrity. Another red herring.

Details matter, sorry that short attention spans suffer. Your statements are posted, quoted and fairly obvious, though you waffle back and forth at times irrationally and it makes it hard to follow you. I don't care about pfs, though it would be nice to have a semblance of logic on the forum without mocking those who try. It's a red herring fallacy to bring up abnormal wear in what I posted. And if, as you say, you went out of your way to find and add abnormal wear pfs to the tests then that's obvious selection bias which introduced bias into the whole sampling population and distribution curve. Shocker, you showed that abnormal wear pfs are softer. Maybe one day you can learn more of what your results mean along with the rest of us.

Shew, you get more pathetic with each post. One playfield had abnormal wear compared to my other pins. It was an MMRLE for anyone thinking I’m just bashing stern. Hell, my sterns looked great truthfully...my LOTRLE looks unused after 1500 plays. So I took an evening and tested all the pins available to me, mine and some of my neighbor’s pins. That’s it man, no grand conspiracy, no searching out shit looking pins, just did the ones I had immediate access to. The fact I even have to explain that to you is embarrassing.

You think someone would go around and find shit play fields to get readings to post on a pinball forum? I promise you my friend, the story ain’t that great. Have pins, noticed wear on one more than others, was curious if there was a difference, have the equipment, tested them, posted it. I don’t even proclaim to know what the difference is, just that they’re different. You getting so visibly upset by all this and coming up with these conspiracies says a lot more about you than me.

(edited)

If you want to discuss further I’m always available via PM instead of clogging up the thread with me explaining everything for you?

#387 6 years ago
    Quoted from dzoomer:

Holy bloviated post (pot kettle black). I never posted anything about you bashing Stern; it's just more red herring misdirection hyperbole. I've simply literally quoted and went with what you posted. Sorry for "embarrassingly" mistaking your language and having you explain yourself better; it was poorly written, open to interpretation and misinterpreted. The clarification is always appreciated. Your broken record attacks and piling on an impressive number of insults like pathetic, conspiracy, well being concerns, being unhinged, embarrassing, etc are not appreciated; though you da man and must be so proud of your ad hominem hammering! Seriously go look again at my first response quoting you and let us know what deserves such prolonged, repetitive, low ball, escalating, personal attacks. Your true colors are shining through.

Either way, glad I got you squared away. Sorry if you took my words as attacks. Hopefully when you calm down you will see I was just being helpful. If I can help clarify or explain anything else to you be sure to let me know.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Procrastinator.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-ritchie-discusses-pinball-playfield-dimpling?tu=Procrastinator and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.