Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 718 posts
  • 174 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Yelobird
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

robo.jpg
    family.jpg
    guy.jpg
    Screenshot_20180602-120325 (resized).png
    bowling_lane.jpg
    20180512_145039 (resized).jpg
    f214296b378c9ec88cd0b7e270c27c35c199428e (resized).jpg
    01adsfasd (resized).jpg
    BM66 (resized).png
    DSCN5798 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5794 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5795 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5793 (resized).JPG
    thLIVP55YF (resized).jpg
    800px_COLOURBOX2630929 (resized).jpg
    ra,triblend_tee,x2150,black_triblend,front-c,367,133,750,1000-bg,f8f8f8.u1 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #34 Ancient playfield pic for comparison Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #100 Summary of Playfield hardness test with gauge by Procrastinator Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Post #117 Explanation of test method to determine wood hardness. Posted by swinks (6 years ago)

Post #129 Comparing the size of dimples based on hardness. Posted by TimeBandit (6 years ago)

Post #195 What is Maple plywood? How is it made? Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BC_Gambit.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#188 6 years ago

Quoted for truth!

People would not be talking non-stop about Stern's shoddy materials due to cost cutting... if they didn't have shoddy materials due to cost cutting.

Some games have been better than others, yes. But the pool of buyers willing to play that lottery keeps getting smaller, as their competition keep putting out games that at least appear more interesting to me as a hobbyist.

Stern has chopped so many costs while raising prices for them to have this "gosh, you don't just understand what you are buying" perspective is just plain garbage. Your company is putting out a product that in some cases has been really sub-par, all while moving to a less repairable and reliable (but cheaper to manufacture of course!) architecture.

After a certain point the chickens come home to roost, and you see vids like this pop up.

Yes, some hobbyists take it to another extreme when it comes to pickyness, but if orders are slowing down, maybe its at least in part due to your current reputation for quality?

After re-watching this vid, I honestly can give Steve a pass on this. Assuming good intent, he seems to be talking about normal dimpling. And normal dimpling is (guess what!) normal. But some of the playfields we have seen from stern in the last few years have been anything but "normal" (or if they are the new normal, Stern can keep them, they have no business shipping that garbage to customers and claiming "Normal wear and tear").

Quoted from DaveH:

Nobody gives a crap about my opinion on this, so feel free to ignore it.
    Steve, I have tons of respect for you, but in this case you are confabulating newbie reactions with the truth that Stern uses softer less expensive wood in some games. I don't think you are stupid, please grant me that same courtesy. If you needed it, I could probably compile a list of games where Stern used softer wood, and I'm betting I'd be pretty close to the "behind the scenes" view that you have of the actual playfield processes and materials used in them. There is no need to sweep it under the rug. All Stern needs to do is not use the softer cheaper wood and people will stop complaining. Will dimples always happen? Duh, of course they will. It's a steel ball. HOWEVER the actual dimple itself varies greatly in size and depth. Those little ones that smooth out, nobody should care. The craters that end up looking like the moon that will NEVER smooth out? Those are the ones people care about. Don't sell us out as you sell yourself out.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BC_Gambit.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-ritchie-discusses-pinball-playfield-dimpling?tu=BC_Gambit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.