Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 718 posts
  • 174 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Yelobird
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

robo.jpg
    family.jpg
    guy.jpg
    Screenshot_20180602-120325 (resized).png
    bowling_lane.jpg
    20180512_145039 (resized).jpg
    f214296b378c9ec88cd0b7e270c27c35c199428e (resized).jpg
    01adsfasd (resized).jpg
    BM66 (resized).png
    DSCN5798 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5794 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5795 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5793 (resized).JPG
    thLIVP55YF (resized).jpg
    800px_COLOURBOX2630929 (resized).jpg
    ra,triblend_tee,x2150,black_triblend,front-c,367,133,750,1000-bg,f8f8f8.u1 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 718 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 15.
    #701 5 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

What is the width & depth of a huge crater? What is the width & depth of a giant crater?

It depends how your eyeballs are calibrated.

#702 5 years ago

20180512_145039 (resized).jpg20180512_145039 (resized).jpg

#703 5 years ago

That kid looks cute with dimples!

And that playfield is off to a wonderful start....

#704 5 years ago

Are "swirl cracks" the result when dimples eventually flatten out on vintage fields?

I wonder if final prep of the wood has changed. Some plywood has a lot of fibers on the surface that make it 'feel soft' to the touch.

#705 5 years ago

My IJ that is all original and super nice has uniform dimpling throughout. My Hobbit is dimpled to hell. My sterns are dimpled to hell.

My only two games that have no dimpling are early 90s games that had a clear coat added twenty five years after they were made as part of a restore.

#706 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I've begun a serious study into the classification of new-playfield dimples.
    I've sent my preliminary results to the IAU for peer review.

Your pic is all wrong the image needs to be enlarged 5x so that the dimples look over sized

#707 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

I wonder how much the increased awareness of dimples is simply due to games going into a home use environment that don’t get enough plays to level out the playfield in a noticeable time frame?
    Back in the day a game was routed for years before a collector picked it up so dimples were everywhere and didn’t stand out as much. Now everyone has these games in their basements and they get stuck in the “highly noticeable” phase of dimpiliation (tm) for long periods of time since the games get so few plays.
    My TNA had very noticeable dimples right away but it’s on location and I can already see them flattening out in high traffic areas. By the time I bring it home it should like any other routed 90’s Williams game with a nice uniform pf appearance.

I think we have a winner folks!

#708 5 years ago

Bowling alleys never look dimpled. Make the play fields from rock Maple.

#709 5 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Bowling alleys never look dimpled. Make the play fields from rock Maple.

They are dimpled. You just need the perfect angle of view.

#710 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

They are dimpled. You just need the perfect angle of view.

Brad

bowling_lane.jpgbowling_lane.jpg

2 weeks later
    #712 5 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

I didn't say that...o-din did.
    Your STTNG (Which I also own) doesn't have a mark becasue over 25 years it got pounded flat. I can assure you that 24 years ago it had dimples-o-plenty.

Just to let you know I also had a HUO STTNG. With 1248 plays on it when I got it from the original owner. No dimples. And not enough plays to be made flat. If what everyone says is true I should have been putting dimples in the playfield every new game played.

Also my MMr LE doesn't seem to have any yet.
    But my Stern ST, X-Men, MET and GB. All had tons within the first couple of weeks. The worst being MET and GB.

So this topic is horse shit. Ignore the facts and keep drinking that Kool aid.

This reminds me of flat earthers.

And also :Some of the pics of williams games have "orange peel" not dimples/ craters.
    Which it is being confused with.

Screenshot_20180602-120325 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180602-120325 (resized).png
    #713 5 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Just to let you know I also had a HUO STTNG. With 1248 plays on it when I got it from the original owner. No dimples. And not enough plays to be made flat. If what everyone says is true I should have been putting dimples in the playfield every new game played.
    Also my MMr LE doesn't seem to have any yet.
    But my Stern ST, X-Men, MET and GB. All had tons within the first couple of weeks. The worst being MET and GB.
    So this topic is horse shit. Ignore the facts and keep drinking that Kool aid.
    This reminds me of flat earthers.
    And also :Some of the pics of williams games have "orange peel" not dimples/ craters.
    Which it is being confused with.

The MMR that i played had lots of dimples on it. It didnt look bad or anything but they were there just like any other game.

#714 5 years ago

Dimples from 1989 and 2007.

Brad
    robo.jpgrobo.jpgfamily.jpgfamily.jpgguy.jpgguy.jpg

3 years later
    #715 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjames:

Thicker clear, bigger dimples. Pretty simple folks, the steel ball wins every time.

I agree. Thicker clear means bigger dimples, just put a playfield protector over the field. Problem solved.

#716 2 years ago
    Quoted from Michaelxwhite:

I agree. Thicker clear means bigger dimples, just put a playfield protector over the field. Problem solved.

Except playfield protectors suck

#717 2 years ago

Waiting for the follow-up called Steve Ritchie discusses Pinball Playfield "Pooling and Chipping"

#718 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Waiting for the follow-up called Steve Ritchie discusses Pinball Playfield "Pooling and Chipping"

Yeah Steve is good but I doubt he could find a way to spin sell that! lol

There are 718 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-ritchie-discusses-pinball-playfield-dimpling/page/15?hl=erak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.