Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 718 posts
  • 174 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Yelobird
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

robo.jpg
    family.jpg
    guy.jpg
    Screenshot_20180602-120325 (resized).png
    bowling_lane.jpg
    20180512_145039 (resized).jpg
    f214296b378c9ec88cd0b7e270c27c35c199428e (resized).jpg
    01adsfasd (resized).jpg
    BM66 (resized).png
    DSCN5798 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5794 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5795 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5793 (resized).JPG
    thLIVP55YF (resized).jpg
    800px_COLOURBOX2630929 (resized).jpg
    ra,triblend_tee,x2150,black_triblend,front-c,367,133,750,1000-bg,f8f8f8.u1 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 718 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 15.
    #501 6 years ago

Welcome back my friends to the argument that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside..

#502 6 years ago

I don't see any Hard Maple Lumber Core on that page.

What are you trying to show us?

#503 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I believe its supposed to be at 9% but how do you know it is?

If you see it delaminating, you know that it was higher or lower when made.

Hard Maple and Teak are very specific in their requirements.

#504 6 years ago

Holy moly this song.

It's pretty good after all this time.

#505 6 years ago

I do like that we are all discussing these playfield technicalities. It's better than the real world affairs.

#506 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Welcome back my friends to the argument that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside..

Thanks for reminding me, I'm out.

#507 6 years ago

Here we go again.....don’t say anything O-din!
    It turns out they do use different wood type core and CPR and Stern is Venner plywood.

From CPR website:
    What kind of wood are CPR's playfields made from?

CPR only uses the very best wood we can get our hands on. Currently we use a very expensive custom made wood from Wisconsin. It has four layers of Maritime Hard Rock Maple and three interior layers of white ash. Normal Stern wood is a .5325" thick with one good face of 0.060" veneer. We upped this specification considerably. We use two THICK 0.080" face veneers (25% thicker than normal) which allows our CNC operator, Tanner to pick the very best side for your PF and we upped the thickness of the board to 0.545" which gives a better balance with the veneers and reduces warping. The thicker face veneers on our wood (25% thicker than anything in use anywhere) means a much denser wood surface and less ball dimples than anything ever made. Some of our finished PFs weigh more than 15lbs, and are so dense we have seen certain examples of ours PFs almost double the weight of a factory NOS board!

#508 6 years ago

^ Welcome back

-

Quoted from kvan99:

Thanks for reminding me, I'm out.

#509 6 years ago

Last one for the road.

#510 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Here we go again.....don’t say anything O-din!
    It turns out they do use different wood type core and CPR and Stern is Venner plywood.
    From CPR website:
    CPR only uses the very best wood we can get our hands on. Currently we use a very expensive custom made wood from Wisconsin. It has four layers of Maritime Hard Rock Maple and three interior layers of white ash. Normal Stern wood is a .5325" thick with one good face of 0.060" veneer. We upped this specification considerably. We use two THICK 0.080" face veneers (25% thicker than normal) which allows our CNC operator, Tanner to pick the very best side for your PF and we upped the thickness of the board to 0.545" which gives a better balance with the veneers and reduces warping. The thicker face veneers on our wood (25% thicker than anything in use anywhere) means a much denser wood surface and less ball dimples than anything ever made. Some of our finished PFs weigh more than 15lbs, and are so dense we have seen certain examples of ours PFs almost double the weight of a factory NOS board!

And here I am worried about these new Earthshaker playfields because of all this Stern playfield BS. Time to place my order.

#511 6 years ago
    #512 6 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

And here I am worried about these new Earthshaker playfields because of all this Stern playfield BS. Time to place my order.

I Concur!

#513 6 years ago

I've got a really nice Eartshaker that the factory mylar was removed just prior to me getting it. And now that we've played it some, guess what.

No dimples!

#514 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

From CPR website:
    CPR only uses the very best wood we can get our hands on. Currently we use a very expensive custom made wood from Wisconsin. The thicker face veneers on our wood (25% thicker than anything in use anywhere) means a much denser wood surface and less ball dimples than anything ever made.

Thank you. This proves that not all playfields are created the same and some are more prone to dimpling than others.

#515 6 years ago
    Quoted from fishbone:

Thank you. This proves that not all playfields are created the same and some are more prone to dimpling than others.

It does? It PROVES it?

Someone needs to go back to school.

#516 6 years ago
    Quoted from fishbone:

If it **proves** anything, it's that CPR has used a core wood, namely Ash, that is SOFTER than Hard Maple.

Hard Maple = 1400

Ash = 1290

#517 6 years ago

Why use wood at all, given all the variables? I know it's been discussed, but a synthetic material similar to wood seems like it could solve the issue.

#518 6 years ago

Time to give balsa wood a shot

#519 6 years ago

Ok, I performed the ultimate test. I had a friend wallop me over the right side of my head with a newer Stern playfield , (unpopulated of course as having someone smash you with a populated playfield would be just stupid and dangerous ) and then the left side of my head with an older Williams playfield and after careful inspection, I can honestly say that there were just as many dipples on the left side of my head as there was on the right. So there you go. I think we finally have the answer !
    Now let's play some pinball !!

#520 6 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Time to give balsa wood a shot

I say paper mache!

#521 6 years ago
    Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Why use wood at all, given all the variables? I know it's been discussed, but a synthetic material similar to wood seems like it could solve the issue.

Because Stern, JJP, & Spooky don't think that dimpling is an issue.

Anyone that does think it's an issue always just buys a playfield protector and never thinks about it again.

ff (resized).jpgff (resized).jpg

#522 6 years ago

31100423_503907826677635_893026140103376896_n (resized).jpg31100423_503907826677635_893026140103376896_n (resized).jpg

#523 6 years ago

Just looks like two different kinds of wood. Pine and maybe cherry? Probably not even old/new growth, the text reads like some scare-mongering political garbage.

#524 6 years ago

And please remember, playfields are made from different layers of pressed wood ... multiplex wood.

#525 6 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Just looks like two different kinds of wood. Pine and maybe cherry? Probably not even old/new growth, the text reads like some scare-mongering political garbage.

Seriously. How are they getting those new ones to grow faster? Lumberjacks sitting around singing to them day and night?

#526 6 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Seriously. How are they getting those new ones to grow faster? Lumberjacks sitting around singing to them day and night?

My understanding is old growth lumber has to do with trees being tightly packed together so they fight for sunlight, water, and other nutrients. Thus they grow a lot slower. Lumber now is planted purposefully so they are spread out and get all they need to grow faster. I don't know that for a fact though, just what I have heard.

#527 6 years ago

I saw this and thought of the thread. I don't know if its true or not but possibly relevant. Please don't shoot the messenger.

#528 6 years ago

It's legit. I see it referenced all the time how old wood is better than new wood. They dive for the stuff down here in Florida too.

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/09/24/us/with-timber-scarce-old-logs-deep-in-a-lake-become-a-sunken-treasure.html

#529 6 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

It's legit. I see it referenced all the time how old wood is better than new wood. They dive for the stuff down here in Florida too.
    https://www.nytimes.com/1997/09/24/us/with-timber-scarce-old-logs-deep-in-a-lake-become-a-sunken-treasure.html

I remember seeing a show on this. They pay a premium for the old timber.

#530 6 years ago

>>>> MAPLE IS NOT AN OLD GROWTH WOOD <<<<<

Hard Maple trees are harvested when they are 100-125 years old

As soon as they are no good for syrup production, they are cut down and a new crop planted.

>>>> MAPLE IS NOT AN OLD GROWTH WOOD <<<<<

#531 6 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Old growth forest had a 300 foot tall canopy that kept trees in the shade that is why tight rings poor growing conditions

#532 6 years ago

Any evidence it's actually the wood and not just the clear layer dimpling?

#533 6 years ago

It's the wood, too. If it were just the clear, there would be dimpling over the inserts.

#534 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chalkey:

The balls have gotten harder.

#535 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chalkey:

I've looked on my dimpled playfields and they don't seem to dimple over inserts. But I'm working hard every day to eliminate the them dimples. It's a tough job but someone has to do it.

#536 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chalkey:

Feel it. It’s smooth.

#537 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The balls have gotten harder.

I just checked, mine seem fine.

#538 6 years ago

SR was blinking for help in morse code

#539 6 years ago

Here is a treat for the nubies.

How about a 35 year old Comet, sealed under factory Mylar for it's entire life, until just 30 minutes ago?

It's been broken since 1989 (based on the oldest coin in the cashbox), burred under 20 boxes of old clothes, no keys to the locks.

Will it have dimples? Or was Maple growing to thousands of years old back then, harder than steel?

-

11IMG_4601 (resized).jpg11IMG_4601 (resized).jpg

-
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    22IMG_4606 (resized).jpg22IMG_4606 (resized).jpg

It's sad that a game that only got 5 years of play, and was protected by some of the thickest Mylar I've ever pulled, and was made from "old growth" 1985 Maple, still had dimples.

Could it be that a steel ball is still harder than "old growth" Maple + Mylar????

#540 6 years ago

"Hey, Turkey. Dimple me."

#541 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

How about a 35 year old Comet, sealed under factory Mylar for it's entire life, until just 30 minutes ago?
    It's been broken since 1989 (based on the oldest coin in the cashbox), burred under 20 boxes of old clothes, no keys to the locks.
    Will it have dimples? Or was Maple growing to thousands of years old back then, harder than steel?
    -
    It's sad that a game that only got 5 years of play, and was protected by some of the thickest Mylar I've ever pulled, and was made from "old growth" 1985 Maple, still had dimples.
    Could it be that a steel ball is still harder than "old growth" Maple + and Mylar????

That's not the kind of dimpling were seeing in Sterns, this is like an "Orange Peel" translation= normal shallower dimples. Now look at this BM66

595b9b6657536725e6c52d521a0b302e6a7c7787 (resized).jpg595b9b6657536725e6c52d521a0b302e6a7c7787 (resized).jpg

#542 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Now look at this BM66

Now look at that magnet core.

If that chunk of steel is dimpling, what chance does a piece of wood have??

I've been working on an equation that explains the physics behind the witnessed phenomena:

Hardened Ball Bearing > Steel Magnet Core > Wood

#543 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

That's not the kind of dimpling were seeing in Sterns, this is like an "Orange Peel" translation= normal shallower dimples. Now look at this BM66

Yes.... this is what i mean.
    All playfields dimple a bit, but the new Stern's look like a moon surface afther 500 game's.
    NEVER had this extreme dimples on the 120 machines that i have had in the last 40 years.
    The wood was harder and the dimples les deep.

#544 6 years ago

I’ve looked at all my machines and see dimpling and scratches on all of the play fields. The older routed machines are smooth in high traffic areas, which supports that they have been pounded smooth by 1000s of plays. Newer machines with newer clear, darker art, and brighter lighting highlight dimpling, but dimpling doesn’t affect gameplay, nor does it affect the art. If you want a perfect playfield, simply refrain from plugging the machine in. “Problem” solved.

#545 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballwil:

NEVER had this extreme dimples on the 120 machines that i have had in the last 40 years.
    The wood was harder and the dimples les deep.

How hard was the wood on the other machines and how deep were the dimples?

How hard is the wood on your new Sterns and how deep are the dimples?

#546 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

-

-
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

Could it be that a steel ball is still harder than "old growth" Maple + Mylar????

You're faking the images, everyone knows only new games dimple!! [/sarcasm]

#547 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

My God look at that thing! No wonder they decided to pull it from the rotation...

All I can say is just because they've been building pinball playfields out of substandard materials for the entire history of the game doesn't mean someone shouldn't look to improve the situation now. If we play our cards right and start making playfields out of long lived synthetic materials maybe one day when you walk along an unmaintained shore somewhere you can wade through interesting old pinball playfields instead of empty water bottles and caps... "Look at this one, not a mark on it!"

#548 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

All I can say is just because they've been building pinball playfields out of substandard materials for the entire history of the game doesn't mean someone shouldn't look to improve the situation now.

Because honestly...who cares about some dimpling?

#549 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Because honestly...who cares about some....

Man Pinside does...fill in whatever wacky shit you can come up with and it will come true.

#550 6 years ago

Video games have never dimpled.

There are 718 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-ritchie-discusses-pinball-playfield-dimpling/page/11?hl=rustylizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.