9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by scooter
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Stern_FB.jpg

#1 9 years ago

Did I miss something? I was just catching up on Facebook and noticed some odd posts with a fingerless hand and several alien posts including Roswell etc... Some other forums are saying that it is indeed Steve Ritchie heading back to Stern for a Area 51 pinball? Anyone? Anyone? This could be awesome if it is true... This could make me rethink WOZ.....LOL

#2 9 years ago

Area 51? Best. Theme. Ever!
    But how about Steve designing for JJP? Didn't jack say the pin after WOZ would be non-licensed?

#3 9 years ago

True, but it's on Sterns FB page. And I see it's said via google that he is moving back here to Chicago. Area 51 could be the BEST them EVER TRUE!

#4 9 years ago

I'm pretty sure Dennis Nordman is designing the 2nd (non-licensed) Pin for JJP

#5 9 years ago

Steve mentioned a year ago that he might be doing something with the virtual pinball guys. I'm not totally convinced its a project for Stern pinball (Steve has experience doing video games as well; produced California Speed), but with Jersey Jack throwing the gauntlet down, I'll be interested to hear Steve's annoucement.

#6 9 years ago

WOW!! I can't wait to see Steve's announcement,He is my favorite Pinball designer.Already have 3 of his pins and room for another.

#7 9 years ago

Could it be "Cowboys and Aliens"

#8 9 years ago

I think steve is going to Stern. I have a Good friend that is on Jacks team. He said steve was not working with them. He as told me Wisard Of Oz will have a 27"led in the back box for game interaction,back glass,movie seens.

#9 9 years ago

It's officially been announced that he is moving back to Chicago, so given all the evidence, I would say it's very likely that he'll be designing an upcoming pin for Stern.

#10 9 years ago

Thats what I heard. I love steve's pins what ever he makes for Stern I am buying. To bad it wasent Tron.

#11 9 years ago

The area 51 Theme is off the frickin chart in my book!! A double bonus if Steve is in fact involved in the build!! It just doesn't get much better than this! GREAT NEWS! I guess we will all see how this one plays out...

#12 9 years ago

This is indeed good news, nice to see Steve getting work. The poor guy is going deaf : (

#13 9 years ago

27" LCD,Wow Tatman!That's bigger than the biggest console TV's,which were 25",that you could buy when I was growing up! Exciting news,Good for Stern and JJP,I hope they both are successful...

#14 9 years ago

there is still yet hope left in the world...

#15 9 years ago

Bill2626 it is great news,now if Gene could get "Wizard Blocks" going we would be in pinball Heaven!!

#16 9 years ago

Its just criminal that Wizard Blocks never made it to the market Scooter... What an awesome machine... Pinball Heaven indeed!!

Below is a link to the Wizard Blocks video for those that that are not familiar with this incredible piece of art.

#17 9 years ago

I do not think we will see an Area 51 pin from Stern any time soon? Gary has said many times that he will not do a pin without a license.

#18 9 years ago

Maybe the Air Force will license it gweempose.LOL

#19 9 years ago

Wasn't Area 51 a video shooter? That would mean a license. I wonder if they just reuse the BBH playfield but put zombies in colored coverals in place of the animals?

#20 9 years ago

What a theme - Area 51 and aliens. If this is all true this could be a great unlicensed pin. Now if Stern can get rid of all that cheap plastic and go back to quality metal ramps etc, this could be a game changer.

#21 9 years ago

Yeah, it was an arcade shooter series. FMV aliens and stuff. Of course, there's a lot of stuff that uses Area 51. I'm not sure if its up for grabs with licencing. I think they can just do it.

#22 9 years ago

Steve Ritchie is truly an awesome designer. I've been playing the crap out of my STTNG lately, and the layout is simply brilliant. When you are in the zone, it's just amazing how each shot flows into the next. It's almost like an out-of-body experience.

#23 9 years ago

I wonder if he will just re-theme his Avatar design? I would. It would mean more time for tweaking the whitewood, art and software development.

#24 9 years ago

Steve Ritchie is going to be at the Pacific Northwest Pinball and Gameroom Show at the Seattle Center June 3-5th! We're going to have lots of questions for him!

#25 9 years ago

It is looking more like it now, that Steve Ritchie is back at Stern. Stern put this on their FB page. The back of that head is most certainly that of Steve's (you would know if you met him). I am very anxious to hear the big announcement! It looks like Stern wasn't going to stand there with its arms crossed, with the hub-bub going on at Jersey Jack.

Stern_FB.jpg

#26 9 years ago

Great news! I have e-mailed with Steve in the recent past and had the impression that he would not be designing for Stern never no more. Gary must have offered him total design freedom or something Steve couldn't resist. The pinball force is strong in this one

Can't wait to see what comes out of this!

#27 9 years ago

No matter what happenes with Jersey Jack, competition in any industry can never hurt. If anything maybe Wizard of Oz has opened Stern's eyes to what the market really wants. Hopefully what comes out of Stern next will be more in the vein of LOTR, TSPP, or Steve's previous work Spiderman! Only optimism for the future of both companies.

#28 9 years ago

Agreed Jespo,Competition will breed innovation and that will be good for pinball.Exciting times!!

#29 9 years ago

Wow, looks like it is true. Ok, please now focus on quality and go back to metal ramps etc..... Going to be an exciting pinball year

#30 9 years ago

I sure hope this re-marriage brings about a positive outcome for the Stern Team. Saving money building lesser quality machines WILL NOT work for the Stern boys in the long run...

#31 9 years ago

"Gary must have offered him total design freedom or something Steve couldn't resist ..."

Steve Ritchie + carte blanche = happy gweempose!

#32 9 years ago

Steve Ritchie back at Stern is great news for all PinHeads! I HOPE he gets them back on track!!

#34 9 years ago

There ya go, he is on board...

#35 9 years ago

Thank, God! I was afraid the only thing we had to look forward to from Stern was another stripped down John Borg game. Clearly, JJP has forced Gary to seriously rethink some things.

#36 9 years ago

I wouldn't blame John Borg so much for the stripped down games. It is hard to be creative with one arm tied behind your back.

#37 9 years ago

Great conformation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#38 9 years ago

He's supposed to be at the Northwest Pinball and Gameroom Show in Seattle on June 3-5th. If he's scheduled for a lecture I'm sure we'll find out more about future projects!
    Hopefully Gary Stern will not try to restrict Steve Ritchie. I don't think that would result in any positive press for Stern.

#39 9 years ago

I still think John Borg has been doing a good job. Say what you want of the guy...Iron Man is cool, and Avatar is kinda fun. Poor guy is only 1 man though. Stern used to have a small house of designers in their headquarters (Nordman, Keith, Borg, etc), working on games throught the year.

Now they got one of the biggest fishes in the pond (Steve Ritchie), with one of the cleanest track records as far as pinball machine gameplay goes; even games like Rollergames, Elvis, and World Poker Tour are fun.

I personally can't wait to see how much control Gary is going to give Steve, over the design of his games. I think mostly all pinheads know the muddy history that Gary and Steve had during the development of World Poker Tour.

Jersey Jack seems to be filling the needs of players wanting good asthetics, feature sets, and software. To what extent is Gary going to combat this, and if he is going to continue to cater to operators with cheaped-down products, with no signs of wanting to advance the technical design (when it seems Jersey Jack intends to do the opposite).

This is shaping to be one of the most exciting times in amusement devices, in a LONG time.

#40 9 years ago

Also remember that the software programmer adds as much to the fun factor of a game as the playfield designer. Maybe more. The best layout can only keep you interested so far if the ruleset sucks.
    Corvette is a perfect example. Playfield has great flow but the ruleset is, well, lacking. A few more modes with varied shots and it would rate much higher IMO.
    No Fear is another one with awesome flow and less than spectacular ruleset.

#41 9 years ago

I agree DRBond. I think Borg's games are fun. I know we all think our games are great that we own. I will say though, I really am liking my Avatar much more than many post about it. There is more than meets the eye. There plenty of things to hit and the rules are decent. It plays super fast and fun. The light and sound package is really quite good. I love it when it blacks out and the blue flashers go nuts with the music changing it really sucks you in. I think we are all lucky to be part of this time in pinball and I can't wait to see how this pans out with Stern and JJ. I could easily stick with Stern if the titles come along I will like. I may have to sell Spidey to get the new Ritchie table...

JJ and WOZ sounds so great though. I will stay on the train for the time being.

#42 9 years ago

The new Steve Ritchie title should go good with Spiderman! My Spiderman will not leave unless I desparatly need the money.

#43 9 years ago

I agree with SC about the programer being just as important. It will be interesting to see who programs Ritchie's next Stern pin now that Keith Johnson is now signed on with JJP. To me Johnson is one of if not the best programer out there.

#44 9 years ago

You can't count out Lyman. He's programmed some of the classics (DE Tommy, Guns N Roses, Monster Bash, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Avatar, only to name a few). Here is hoping they get him on Ritchie's team for Stern.

#45 9 years ago

Ya your right I hope they Get Lyman to do the programing for future games.

#46 9 years ago

Steve and Lyman worked together magnificently on Spiderman So,I would think Lyman would be programming Steve's games

#47 9 years ago

How sweet would it be if Ritchie's 1st pin back with Stern was another Trilogy theme'd pin to follow the great success he had with Spiderman. Transformers maybe??? (=

#48 9 years ago

I would love a Transformers pin. My wife probably won't go for it though. I am pretty sure I only got SM because they were ending the production run.

#49 9 years ago

Transformers would be a great theme!!maybe with some new tech in it!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 19.50
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    $ 349.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 229.99
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 209.00
    $ 32.00
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 6.00
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 248.85
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.95
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Rods Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside