Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by DanQverymuch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

My Steve Ritchie thoughts struck me at an odd time: when the in-laws are staying with me. Some of the incidents with MIL (mother-in-law) are more the subject of an OT thread. After an MIL comment, the choices were have the discussion (i.e., turn it into an outright argument) or play pinball. I chose to play pinball; specifically, STLE. The history with MIL and stories are more the subject of an OT thread. Trying to keep it positive here, so I don't get more riled up and have an actual verbal argument with MIL.

I've been collecting since '08 but not playing as much as I would like. I've had NF and currently have SM and STLE. The 3rd right flipper shots on these machines are all awesome! STLE, however, takes the cake!

NF, granted it was when I played more, I may have hit the ramp shot 100+ plus times on one ball. There were many games I exceeded 200+ shots! which I believe may have been the maximum for that software. On SM, I can hit it quite regularly. STLE is a different beast!

On Rob_T's old STLE, I've only been able to get to Warp 9.1 on that third flipper. It's tough, but it's the biggest third, right flipper shot I've owned. Am I missing out on a better third right flipper?

#2 5 years ago

Congrats on the most confusing post this year!

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I second that! I'm either confused or maybe need another beer to help me understand what the OP means.

#4 5 years ago

I guess I just missed the analysis part

#5 5 years ago

Are you asking what other games have an upper right flipper?

TSPP has one with a nice shot to the upper playfield.

STTNG has one

NGG has one with a nice ramp shot or putt out shot

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from wheels:

Am I missing out on a better third right flipper?

Back in the day, High Speed. Steve channeled a little bit of HS in the warp ramp.

#7 5 years ago

Agreed. STLE warp ramp shot is bad ass! Addicting in its own right.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

And imagine when English is not your first language...

#9 5 years ago

I think this was meant to go in the drunk pinball thread. http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/drunk-pinball

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from clg:

I think this was meant to go in the drunk pinball thread. http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/drunk-pinball

Ha! You guys crack me up!

Phishrace summed up the point of my long-winded post. Of the Steve Ritchie pins I've owned with an upper right flipper (NF, SM, and STLE), I'm most impressed with the STLE upper right flipper shot. Am I missing a Steve Ritchie upper right flipper that is better?

#11 5 years ago

I've always loved the Drawbridge shot on BK2K...but it isn't necessarily more difficult than the one you're describing.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from wheels:

Ha! You guys crack me up!
Phishrace summed up the point of my long-winded post. Of the Steve Ritchie pins I've owned with an upper right flipper (NF, SM, and STLE), I'm most impressed with the STLE upper right flipper shot. Am I missing a Steve Ritchie upper right flipper that is better?

I probably just thought of the approach I would take with my MIL

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from wheels:

Possibly STTNG.

#14 5 years ago

From an adrenal perspective it's definitely a great one

#15 5 years ago

STTNG leaps out at me....

#16 5 years ago

Rollergames is up there as a signature 3rd flipper to ramp shot.

#17 5 years ago

Wat? I drink a bit when I'm on this forum and even I couldn't decode that cryptic post.

#18 5 years ago

Glad you are enjoying the pin!

The Warp Ramp shot is very cool and satisfying when you can hit it 3 or more times in a row, and yes, it is challenging. It takes practice to get in the groove. I'd have games where I could nail it 5 times in a row, and other games where hitting it once during a game seemed impossible.

#19 5 years ago

The thing that's cool about the warp ramp is that they all play just about the same. They built in an adjustment screw, but even the games I play on location play just like the ones in homes. No tuning needed. It's almost like Steve Ritchie himself adjusted each ramp before the game was put in the box.

People give Stern a lot of grief when they get things wrong (often deservedly), but you don't here much mention when they really nail something. I know it's just a ramp, but it's not your average ramp and they friggin nailed it.

The only thing that could improve the warp ramp is a mod that shoots fire as the ball goes around the ramp. Screw chase lights, I want chase flames! Hank? Anyone???

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from wheels:

I'm most impressed with the STLE upper right flipper shot. Am I missing a Steve Ritchie upper right flipper that is better?

Owned most of Steve's games. ST:TNG is edged out by a hair by STERN ST Warp Ramp shot. It is an excellent upper right flipper shot .

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Screw chase lights, I want chase flames! Hank? Anyone???

That would be awesome! That would definitely take it to another level!

#22 5 years ago

I always thought the photon torpedoes should be real.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

LOL. Classic.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Back in the day, High Speed. Steve channeled a little bit of HS in the warp ramp.

This^^^, it made my decision to sell my High Speed a lot easier to make room for Star Trek, the upper flipper is similar, and I enjoy that challenging shot, it seems more satisfying on ST though.

#25 5 years ago

I want to know more about this mother in law...

#26 5 years ago

Wow. That's all.
Blake

#27 5 years ago

I think you need a NIB MIL!

#28 5 years ago

5min-11min mark after consulting my astrological atomic mood ring.
gutten tag

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

This^^^, it made my decision to sell my High Speed a lot easier to make room for Star Trek, the upper flipper is similar, and I enjoy that challenging shot, it seems more satisfying on ST though.

Don't forget he recreated the same loop ramp in Rollergames, although I think there is only one mode in which you get to use the feature were the ball drops off the end of the ramp for consecutive loops.

#30 5 years ago

It's not Steve Ritchie, but I am pretty partial to The Shadow loop....

#31 5 years ago

Rollergames use of this is really difficult to master as the ball comes not only sailing around the corner but you have to get to where the diverter allows it to continue and it drops to the playfield, doesn't just come straight at you. I wish it had a different theme, it would have stayed. I had a decent DP example.

Doctor Who also has this type of shot, from the left though and again the ball drops and slows a bit above the flipper but it is tricky to really keep hitting loops but getting the Sonic Boom is pretty awesome.

#32 5 years ago

Shadow's loop off the upper flipper is a difficult shot to hit on a consistent basis. Or just about any shot from that flipper.

I'll add that the Gem shot on Tron can be difficult to get a bead on.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

I think you need a NIB MIL!

How about an NIB MILILF?

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Huh? I was more confused by your post, trying to find the confusing part of the OP's. Perhaps it wasn't at a third grade reading level but it made perfect sense.

Seriously, spelling, grammar, punctuation all impeccable.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside